[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

any tips for beginner

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 7

File: 00K0K_Ejt6KWNIJj_600x450.jpg (35KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
00K0K_Ejt6KWNIJj_600x450.jpg
35KB, 600x450px
ok /n/ so i am new to this board.
i have been wanting to get into road biking for a while now. s
i moved to jacksonville florida and finally went for it and bit the bullet
bought first bike for 75$, gmc denali pos beginner bike. rode for 3 weeks before some nigger stole it....
>>
>>1012239
saved up for 2 weeks and bought a new road bike form local shop 294$ for vilano shadow.
i ride it everyday to work.
did first small trip 7.6 miles
next week is my 12 miles one way to the beach from my house

be sides padded shorts computer and,clipless pedals(which i am saving up for)

what do you suggest.?
is there any stickies?
>>
File: pedal.jpg (167KB, 1500x1248px)
pedal.jpg
167KB, 1500x1248px
and finally opinions on using a pedal like this until i can save up for cycle shoes with clipless pedal sets

https://www.amazon.com/Retrospec-Bicycles-Classic-Pedal-Integrated/dp/B00MU0L5L6/ref=sr_1_1?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1475192836&sr=1-1&keywords=roadbike+pedal+straps
>>
There is no sticky, but there is the /bqg/ bike question general, a thread that is always up and you can write any question there.

Buy pedals at the end, because clipless pedals are good, but are pretty overrated because many people think they are faster with them, but no, they are only useful for foot retention at really high cadence.
>>
>>1012248
I run pedals like that on all my road bikes. Works just fine.
>>
File: 4L_iCb11zWd.jpg (200KB, 750x1334px)
4L_iCb11zWd.jpg
200KB, 750x1334px
I live in jax, hi senpai
>>
Invest in some good tires
>>
>>1012239
my biggest tip is since you had one stolen that quick lock it up properly (i assume since it got stolen that fast you fucked up)

get a good ulock. Cable locks can be cut in a matter of seconds with pliers.
get something like the kryptonite series 2. It's like 40 dollars. If that seems expensive, well, its a lot cheaper than buying another bike.

Aside from that, the absolute most important thing is just, go ride. You know the basics. Push your comfort zone little by little so it grows.
If you're wondering about gear, carry a small emergency kit if you take rides longer than 10 miles. Just a spare tube and a way to change/inflate the tube. (tire levers and a small portable frame pump)
>>
>>1012277
honestly i did fuck up, and i admit it. i left bike outside my apartment. unlocked
its is gated complex. but that doesn't mean shit apparently . now it comes in every day
>>
Tires are the first upgrade. High tpi. 120 is ideal. 700x28c or bigger. Rubino pros are a good bet

Do you want to go full roadie or just have fun? Fun means pinned flat pedals, dimension had them for $25 on Amazon

Saddle is next. Get it comfy. Brooks b17 or smp trk

You want to bring a pump, tires levers, spare tubes with you on long rides

Get it all together and go on a fifty mile ride somewhere you've never been. Then do a hundred
>>
>>1012278
>left it outside unlocked
yeah, gated community type things don't work really
if its outside, it needs a u lock

you're doing good to keep it inside though. that'll also reduce how often the chain needs maintence
>>
>>1012260
i see you have money....
>>
>>1012265
i saw continental gator skins. seems good for 35$ a tire. pretty invincible
>>1012260
are you near southside?
>>1012286
i did not realize they made 120psi 28c tires
also i plan in the near distant future to go 45 miles south to the town of st augustine
>>
>>1012308
>spend as much on your tires as your entire bike on memeskins lmao
>>
>>1012286
>>1012310
>Rubino pros
holy shit, just read a review on these, 130psi while he weights 200lbs...
while being 10$ less per tire
definitely looking into these
>>
>>1012311
>Rubino Pro

700x25 are under $30 a piece on Amazon.
Highly recommend them.
>>
If I'm buying a road bike frameset, what do I need to boy/do after...

>buy frameset
>buy tire x 2
>?????
>>
>>1012345
Ride. Ride till it hurts. Ride till you hate cycling. Ride till you make peace with that hatred. Ride until you've come to peace with suffering and made it your companion.
>>
>>1012389

Or be a normal person and don't do any of that. Make the bike comfy and ride all day on a leather saddle at average spend of 13 mph
>>
>>1012311

Don't confuse tpi with psi babe

Also, higher psi means harsh ride. My rumemeo pros run around 90 psi
>>
Just got my first roadbike and honestly this thing goes extremely fast to what i'm used to with my mountain, I'm kind of antsy going that fast and almost always slow down, any tips or do i just ride it more and more and get used to it?
>>
>>1012505
>do i just ride it more and more and get used to it?
This. Until you eat shit, then become a coward again, then slowly regain your confidence.
>>
>>1012389
So I don't need to buy anything else fundamental to the bike? Just ride?
>>
>>1012511
Guess i'll man up then
>>
Holy shit nobody's mentioned Kool Stop brake pads. Please, kill yourselves, all of you
>>
File: 1475221025734.png (18KB, 111x85px)
1475221025734.png
18KB, 111x85px
>>1012535
you will def need a helmet my man
>>
>>1012579

Don't listen to the roadie cucks. They are consumer slaves who will never be truly happy on a bicycle. They need therapy but spend the money on carbon fiber bike parts instead
>>
>>1012586
What if instead of insulting people you actually say anything that matters, like, at all.
>>
File: Vittoria rubino.jpg (19KB, 580x385px)
Vittoria rubino.jpg
19KB, 580x385px
>>1012311
>>1012318
Vittorria SUCKS!
Vittoria is finished and bankrupt!
Friends don't let friends ride Vittoria!

But really the rubino(pro's) are fine tires,might want to stay away from the colored ones though,IME the seam from black to colored rubber tears(optical defect only) and the colored rubber seems to be low on grip....which you would kinda want when cornering.
>>
>>1012248
Are americans really this poor that they need to save up for pedals and shoes?
>>
>>1012596
This is a nice board
No #rude posts allowed
>>
Hello, i am planning to start my journey in the bike world as i will start going to work by bicycle every day, and to do this i will need a new bike, so ... the problem is, in my city we have a lot of hills, and some places with poor streets, which type of bike i need to look for ? thx in advance.
>>
>>1012612
Other than going light and having gears, it all comes down to pacing yourself, knowing when to switch gears, and stamina.

If you're only looking to commute and want a brand new bike, then I would definitely recommend a Cyclocross bike so dirt-roads are an option. Look for one with a aluminum frame, unless you're willing to splurge for a carbon frame.
>>
>>1012594
Rubino pro slicks or kevlar?
>>
>>1012596
Well if you're a serious cyclist you need $400 pedals and at least one pair of $700 handmade Italian shoes otherwise you'll be laughed out of the espresso shop.
>>
My advice is to upgrade as required, your bike or body will tell you what you need to fix or add next.

As a few /n/omads mentioned carry a couple tubes, patches and a pump.
I wouldn't change your tyres until you have had at least 3-5 punctures, depending on frequency. Stock tyres aren't usually that great but will certainly do the job for at least 1000km
I run Rubino Pro 23s on my carbon road bike and Marathon 28s on my allot commuter, very happy with both.

For me, a saddle upgrade is one of the first things to do. But it's not worth changing until you know you have your bike fit right and you've given your bum a good chance to get used to riding a bike.

Regarding pedals, high end bikes normally don't come with pedals and stock pedals on new bikes are usually trash with too much friction in the spin. I put BMX platform pedals on my commuter and 105 clipless on my road bike. If you are only riding 10-20km at a time, I wouldn't bother getting clipless at all because you aren't going to notice much (if any) benefit. I would get clipless when you star to regularly ride 40-50km at a time. Just my opinion based on my experiences. Basically if your pedals are total crap, do a cheap upgrade ASAP but don't bother spending money until it becomes necessary

On my commuter, I had to upgrade the wheel within the first year because the stock wheels were garbage. The spokes kept breaking, I got some handmade wheels which cost as much as the bike. It probably seems excessive but I've never have a problem in over 5000km and I wheel keep the wheels when I get a new disc-braked commuter.

tl;dr don't spend money until you know it's necessary, and when you do, make it a good investment.

Oh yeah, get a good lock and lights.
>>
>>1012584
>tfw I need tubes

Can someone rec me a decent wheelset and tube?

Oh yeah, also helmet
>>
>>1012656
>not riding nanograms
>being a zero ti pleb
>>
>>1012239
He did you a favour, what a piece of shit.
>>
>>1013142
something is better than nothing
>>
>>1012596
not everyone is born into wealth. also shit happens
>>
>>1012239
>bought first bike for 75$
How do you lot manage this? I can't find anything for an adult that's capable of being ridden at that price.
>>
>>1013142
Yes, I have one. They are well below average for a Walmart bike. I got mine for free though after my brother got sick of it. It has a very harsh ride and very bad shifters that make a constant clicking sound.
>>
You guys are great. Seems like a good board. Just a couple of buttholes here
>>
You got the cheapest thing that could be considered a road bike. Money generally is better saved for a new bike than upgrades.

The exceptions that anon mentioned are worthwhile.

Dial in your fit.
Replace saddle if needed. Replace tires and brake pads earlyif they're not working right.

>>1012248
Good enough for now.

>>1012612
Start with bikes with wide tires for bad roads. If we're talking peruvian slum mode, go with an offroad bike.

>>1012683
Helmet: Make sure the thing fits right. More money really doesn't mean more protection. Just lighter and better vents and better aero.
Tubes: Brand doesn't matter.
>>
Okay OP, the best advice I can give is
Figure out your fit, saddle height, setback, angle. Stem length, and rise. Pedal in circles (this will make more sense when you have foot retention). Focus on spinning as opposed to mashing, think 60+ rpm. Tucking in your elbows will help with speed, so will tighter fitting clothes. Uuuuuhm have fun, also get a fucking lock.

>>1012307
>105
No he doesn't
>>1012505
Harden up I guess, you'll slowly dial it down, and understand when it's appropriate to go fast, assuming you're riding in the city.
>>1012656
>tfw S Works Sub6s don't cost that much
>tfw R1B Uomos don't cost that much
>tfw CX401 Speedplays don't cost that much
>tfw my handmade Italian cycling shoes don't cost that much
>>
>>1013276
>How do you lot manage this? I can't find anything for an adult that's capable of being ridden at that price.

Walmart has some $79 bikes, the Roadmaster "Granite Peak", the Huffy Cranbrook, and the Kent Thruster Fixie. I would obviously stay away from the former. A cruiser bike or single speed road bike might be OK though. They are obviously heavy but not as bad as some department store bikes (Cranbrook weighs 37 lbs).
>>
>>1013276
i bought it craigslist used
>>
File: WIN_20160915_135528.jpg (694KB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
WIN_20160915_135528.jpg
694KB, 2560x1920px
>>1012241
,,,,,,mirror., and a complete lack of trust.
,the ,second, you chill,,,, chilly!
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.