[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Adventure Bikes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

File: jpg.jpg (325KB, 1912x1074px) Image search: [Google]
jpg.jpg
325KB, 1912x1074px
I'm looking into getting an adventure bike, and came across Diamondback's Haanjo EXP, I've been reading about for the past few days, and it seems like Diamondback has been really stepping up their game. Only thing is that I know fuck all about mountain bike components. (I ride track/fixed primarily). I was wondering are bar end shifters even appealing still? Aren't they a bit archaic? My two options so far have been the

Haanjo EXP: http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1209548_-1___

or

PX On One Bish Bash Bosh: http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBOOBBBRIV1/on-one-bish-bash-bosh-sram-rival-1-hrd-adventure---gravel-bike

anyone have any other recommendations or insight on these two, or their components?

some links I've found about the Haanjo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BlhFFTFZzk

http://theradavist.com/2016/07/diamondbacks-new-27-5-haanjo-exp-carbon-touring-bike/
>>
Well the DB is much more adventure bike while the on-one is more gravel bike. If you want to really get off road the DB is going to work better with the wheels, tires, and gearing. The DB is more like a drop bar mtn bike. I imagine they are using K.I.S.S principals when it comes to the drivetrain. If you are somewhere in South America you are much more likely to be able to fix a simple 3x9 setup with mechanical disk than a 1x11 with hydraulics. I've never used bar ends but the front uses friction mode so it will shift whatever setup you use and the rear can be run indexed or friction shfited which could come in handy if you bend something in the middle of nowhere.

I guess it really just comes down to what you really plan to do with the bikes.
>>
>>1012030
Thanks for the info on the barcon stuff, that makes a lot more sense. Any knowledge on the component mix? I've noticed it is ranging from Deore, XT, and Dura-Ace. It's pretty mix-and-match it seems. I may be totally misinterpreting this, which is why I am asking.
>>
Same here OP, I've also been looking at the bishbashbosh for a while now, it seems like a pretty good deal overall. It kind of depends on your definition of adventure bike obviously, personally I want something that's not too slow so more of a gravel bike.

The Diamondback looks great too but the problem is I only need a frameset because I want to build it up myself. It's really frustrating that a lot of nice bikes are only sold complete.

I'm also looking at the Kinesis Tripster ATR: http://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/Catalogue/Models/Adventure/Tripster-ATR

It's pretty freaking expensive but then again it is Titanium and looks awesome. Would be my first choice if it wasn't for the price.

There's also a bunch of steel bikes that hit the spot but ever since I've tried carbon I don't really want to miss out on the dampening comfort of that material.
>>
Bru any bike with sensible gearing and fat enough tires will do. With bikepacking and aeroenduralgroad bikes its all about getting out and exploring with them. Get a Fuji touring bike, stock some fat tires on it and spend the £1000 you've saved on a week in bulgaria
>>
>>1012032
It's normal to see mixed component groups on new bikes because that's an easy way to keep costs down without sacrificing performance - but this bike has more mixing than usual because it's combining a mountain bike drivetrain with a road bike interface.
>>
>>1012030
I don't get this. Everyone and their grandma goes touring to South America, you'd think they'd figure this out already and stock up on bike parts from this century.
>>
>>1012164

Well yeah but by that logic you can do almost anything with any bike so there'd never be a reason to buy an expensive one.

You can always make due with something cheaper but some people just like riding a bike that feels really nice and works great.

Also these bikes are really versatile which is my reason for getting one. I can replace all three bikes I ride right now with one.
>>
>>1012026

Nice timing on this thread. I'm considering a 59cm Haanjo EXP. I also wish they made them frameset available. I'm trying to pare down my bicycle count. It would be replacing my 29er SS mountain bike, and SS cyclocross bike. At least that's my justification for buying a new bike.. The 3x9 set up is just a nod to simplicity and cheap components to keep the MSRP down. You can replace the entire drivetrain for pennies. I'm imagining a couple set ups:

Road/gravel light touring
>2.0 Maxxis ReFuse/Tread Lite tires
>front lowrider rack+lightweight panniers
>triple bottle cages
>Swift Zeitgeist saddle bag (or similar)
>Brooks cambium

Double/single track or bikepacking
>2.1 Schwalbe Thunder Burt (or similar all mountain tire)
>traditional bikepacking bag set up
>downtube cage holds stove fuel canister
>WTB silverado on a dropper post

I would like to get a clutch derailleur on there though, those things are a dream. I also considered the Raleigh Stuntman, but it's 1x11 hydraulic, and it's got that god awful aluminum fork. Wtf were they thinking?
>>
File: 1468316604659.jpg (16KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1468316604659.jpg
16KB, 320x320px
>>1012230
I really do like the look of a 1x drivetrain, but a 3x would seem more utilitarian and practical in terms of versatility. And that is seriously disappointing regarding the Stuntman. That is something that they shouldn't cut costs in (the fork.)

Does anyone know if the gruppo on the Bish Bash Bosh would be considered better than the Haanjo EXP? or are they not comparable? Like what makes the EXP a little more expensive than the Bish Bash Bosh.
>>
>>1012160
what are some steel ones you've seen?
>>
>>1012237
More modern and expensive gruppo I'd say the BBB but when you hit a really steep gravel/dirt hill I'd rather have the DB :). They aren't really comparable. The DB is a niche product for a very small group so they can get away being funky and having a higher price. The BBB is just another gravel bike, a nice looking one but there are a ton of options out there.
>>
Does On-One even sell in physical bike shops? That'd be the price difference right there. But yeah, companies are riding the gravel bike hype wave. They basically just modified the geo on cyclocross bikes, and added solid axles.

Hard to compare 1x11 hydro with 3x9 mechanical. Different intentions of use there. 1x11 is full on gravel, There are a LOT of bikes doing the 1x11 thing right now. In fact I'd bet most gravel/race type bikes are using 1x11.

3x9 can still get you up and down mountains when you have a load. Not to say 1x11 can't (small chainring+42t cog or whatever)

Raleigh and Diamondback have the same mother company, so you can see some similarities with their product line. Not as blatant as Chevy/GMC or anything, but it's there. Aluminum fork is just hard to comprehend, kind of a rare thing to see. Must be a price related thing, there are appropriate carbon forks everywhere. Or just go steel like they did with the Tamland.

I'm kind of cooling on the EXP now. I think I'd be better suited to an actual touring bike for touring. But then I'm stuck with a heavy fucking tank when I just want to go ride some comfy dirt roads.
>>
Mechanical disc brakes are a meme. They are literally the worst kind of brake in my opinion. You get some of the benefits of discs, but with all the drawbacks of cable based systems.

Benefits
- If your brake cable breaks in a crash or something, it's easy to find a new one (???)
- easy initial set up with no bleeding

Drawbacks:
- shit lever feel (I've never felt a cable disc that even came close even to the shittiest of hydro brakes)
- modulation still not as good as hydro
- performance degrades over time, and is exacerbated by wet conditions
- if you are in a backwater country, good luck finding your fancy disc brake pads

If I were touring in a super third-world country with no bike shops, I would tour on cantilevers because that is literally the most common type of brake out there besides maybe coasters and weird shit like rod brakes. Canti pads are in literally almost every bike shop in the world. Disc brake pads… yeah, not so much. They're definitely out there but good luck finding them in Bangladesh or Mongolia.

Everyone goes on about how you want "reliable and burly" systems for touring… and yes that definitely makes sense but let's be fucking honest; most of us on touring bikes are not doing cross-country tours regularly, let alone in a backwater foreign country. Guess what's reliable, common, repairable and burly? Big meaty 26" tires, strong-ass touring rims and wheels, non-indexed 8 speed triples, and cantilever brakes.

If you are not seriously touring thousands of miles in backwater, remote countries, skip the mechanical discs and get hydro discs if you have the cash. If not, V-brakes and (properly adjusted) cantilevers are plenty of brake for your touring needs.
>>
>>1012319
>Does On-One even sell in physical bike shops?
Yes. Only their own shops though, with two exceptions abroad. So they skip one middle man.
>>
>>1012322
>Drawbacks:
>- shit lever feel (I've never felt a cable disc that even came close even to the shittiest of hydro brakes)
>- modulation still not as good as hydro
>- performance degrades over time, and is exacerbated by wet conditions
>- if you are in a backwater country, good luck finding your fancy disc brake pads

I prefer hydro too given the choice but I call what? on a lot of that. No mechanical doesn't have the modulation/feel of hydro duh but mechanical is still a lot better than rim brakes. I have no idea wtf you are talking about with performance degrading over time. Because you have to take a min to adjust for pad wear every now and again? The wet weather one is even more confusing. Why would cable disc be worse in the wet than hydro?

I'll agree with the last one but disc brake pads are tiny so throw a couple pairs in you bag for spares.

My cross bike has BB5s which are shit according to a lot of people but they still feel pretty good to me compared to my road bikes rim brakes. They don't feel too bad compared to my mtn bikes hydraulics either.
>>
>>1012354
lol i don't know what he is saying either. it seems like self-validation. like he is backing up his own reasoning. because a lot of that shit doesn't really make much sense. like you said, throw a few brake pads in your pack.

some factual oh-shits with hydraulic disc brakes are that the fluid can boil and cause the brakes to not work anymore, as well as the typical leaks. these are rare occurrences, but there are things that go wrong with them. this is coming from someone with no preference on either. i know hydros are better though, but mechanical are more utilitarian and easier to repair in the field.
>>
>>1012274

The Salsa Vaya looks really nice for example, but it's almost a full-on touring bike.

Then there's the Bombtrack Hook EXT (I think it comes out next year tho) which is kinda like the Diamondback but in steel.

Then there's the Brother Kepler (available with disc or canti) which a friend of mine has

And the classics like the Surly Crosscheck or Long Haul trucker but I never was a big fan of those.

They all fit big tires and have mounts for racks and shit but they're also all heavy as fuck.
>>
>>1012026

They both look ok, but some advice for you is maybe look into going more mtb. I rode a surly crosscheck for many years which is the archetype adventure/gravel bike. I bought a mtb a couple of years back and ride that so much more because it's a lot more fun when the road gets rough.
>>
I'd consider buying a 135mm dropout CX frame and putting your MTB wheelset on there
That's what these bikes are basically

Spend the remaining money on a frame bag
>>
>>1012550
If you like this guy's advice, check it the bikes ridden in the tour divide
>>
>>1012322

Yeah if you aren't living in poverty a steel 26" friction shift canti touring bike is kinda LARPing. I fell for that meme when I had money. Note I've got v brakes and friction shifters that I width were hydro disc STIs

Damn you grant Peterson!!!!
>>
File: diverge.jpg (79KB, 1000x700px) Image search: [Google]
diverge.jpg
79KB, 1000x700px
I'm very much considering pic related for a commuting/adventure/touring/group-ride machine. Only ever owned steel bikes, but tempted by the carbon and decent tire clearance.
>>
>>1012597
>living in poverty
>grant
This makes perfect sense now. If you aren't poor with a shitty bike, he will make you poor by taking your money and giving you a shitty bike.
>>
>>1012632

There's no fucking way I'd ever use a bike like that for regular duty. Just look at those snapstick tubes are you fucking kidding?
>>
jamis renegades are bretty cool.
>>
>>1012680
Are you saying the seat stays are going to break? Haven't heard of any issues like that with the carbon Diverges.
>>
>>1012680
>I don't know how carbon fiber works
>>
I remember seeing the first prototype full CF bikes with rack mounts, and thinking that they'd never go into production.

OP, what conditions are you actually going to be riding? Fire trails with some camping? Gravel day trips? Full on touring with a tent? Tour divide racing? A general purpose ride? An action packed tour of Somalia?

>>1012171
Frequently it's import/export tarrifs that make it economically unfeasable. Easier to drop ship as needed than have it in stock.

>>1012274
I'd look at the retail offerings using Maxway frames. Surly, Salsa, Jamis, Soma, Kona, Marin, ect, ect.

>>1012203
>some people just like riding a bike that feels really nice and works great.
I would not buy any of these without riding them first. New molds and designs.

>>1012237
The entire mindset of the builds is different. The bish bash bosh is more of a gravel racer first with 11 speed integrated shifters and hydraulics.

The Haanzo deliberately goes with more of a touring mix. Fast shifting isn't as much of a priority, as opposed to racers. Closer to what traditional loaded tourers use.
>>
File: WIN_20160930_161918.jpg (326KB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
WIN_20160930_161918.jpg
326KB, 2560x1920px
>>
>>1012680

wow...
>>
>>1012030
>http://theradavist.com/2016/07/diamondbacks-new-27-5-haanjo-exp-carbon-touring-bike/
>>1012032

good luck finding 27.5 tires outside of amerika,western europe, and japan
>>
File: exp.jpg (1014KB, 1200x767px) Image search: [Google]
exp.jpg
1014KB, 1200x767px
>>1017026

>muh steel
>muh v-brakes
>muh 26" rim
>muh 40 pound bike

god you touring fags are insufferable with your need to find random shit in foreign countries. nobody wants to ride tires/rims you find in uzbekistan. Here, problem solved:

www.fedex.com/gb/contact/served-countries.html

Besides, the Haanjo isn't a world touring bike, it's for bikepacking/gravel roads and fucking off in the woods for a week.
>>
>>1017177
While that might be true it begs the question why they put such a weird ass mix of components on it then. A fucking 7 year old mountainbike drivetrain and bar end shifters? Deore 3x crank?

It just seems so weird and outdated on an otherwise modern bike (carbon and disc forks)

I probably would have bought this thing if it came with proper components. But I don't feel like buying a bike and switching out half the parts. I know there's two different version but they cost way too much.
>>
File: carbon steerer.jpg (116KB, 666x1000px) Image search: [Google]
carbon steerer.jpg
116KB, 666x1000px
>>1012791
I do.
>>
>>1017191
>begs the question
You uneducated twat.
>>
>>1012160
Carbon sounds like a really bad idea for touring abroad if only because you'd have to use a hard case to prevent airport handlers from destroying it.
>>
>>1012026
specialized sequoia it's around the same price but much more durable due to it being steel.
>>
>>1012322
The problem is that, at least for Shimano, their hydro STIs have shit shift (not braking) feel for some reason. The ST-RS505 are especially horrid but even the ST-R685 feel pretty bad compared to normal Ultegra shifters.
>>
>>1012632
yes use a 105 carbon fiber bike on daily commutes, the hard part is coping with yourself after you end up losing 2500$
>>
>>1017282
Not every pleeb locks his bike outside on the sidewalk, scrub.
>>
>>1017282
Maybe he lives in a rural area with no bike thieves.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.