[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

To all the Europeans and lesser people that wonder how large

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_3976.jpg (701KB, 1280x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3976.jpg
701KB, 1280x1920px
To all the Europeans and lesser people that wonder how large trains are run in America, here are two examples from a train I took yesterday.

This train runs about 50 miles, delivers cars to another terminal, picks up another train, and brings it back to the original terminal. It's about a 100 mile round trip.
>>
File: IMG_3973.jpg (721KB, 1280x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3973.jpg
721KB, 1280x1920px
This is the train departing the initial terminal.

17300~ tons of freight and 8200~ feet long. A pretty long and heavy train, but wait...
>>
File: IMG_3974.jpg (660KB, 1280x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3974.jpg
660KB, 1280x1920px
This is the retarded thing we bring back.

13740 is the length, but that's not counting the 140 ft. of motors.

So really it's a nearly 14,000 ft. train. Which is fucking massive. You really shouldn't be running trains this long since the air pressure never really wants to build up in the train line, but you *can* do it.
>>
>2.5 mile train
So thats the train that seems to pass through my town at like 10 mph every week.

How do they decide to do loads that big? Deadlines? Just for the hell of it? To see if they can?
>>
I don't know anything about the business, could someone explain why you want to have a 4 kilometer long train and how it is practically/economically feasible?
>>
>>1011804
Economies of scale. Most trains that long are bridge traffic or running from one major terminal to another. So Kansas City to Chicago, for example, or Los Angeles to Phoenix. Or even Seattle to Chicago. A lot of them are unit trains also, consisting of only one type of cargo. How is it practical/economically feasible to run europoor buffer and chain train with just 10 cars per train?
>>
>>1011793
No, I assure you a 14,000 ft. train is very rare and obscenly large. You couldn't even run a train like this anywhere it gets remotely cold. We pumped on this train for over an hour to get enough pressure to move it.

As far as why ut was this big, those were the cars in that yard that belonged to this train. This train is a daily one that makes this same 100 mile round trip between both terminals. It's pretty much a scheduled service.

>>1011804
Why run two or three trains instead of one?

>>1011810
Running trains this long is rare, but not unseen. I've doubled two 110 car empty grain trains together, but that's also not very common. Practically you don't run trains longer than 10,000 ft., but as you can see there are always exceptions.
>>
>>1011810
>>1011817
I ca understand that the more cargo you can transport in a single haul the better.
My question (though badly explained) was how this isn't unpractical in terms of train length, turns, stations/terminals, power output, speed, and just good old coordination with other trains.
I would imagine that it's pretty much impossible to have such a train pass through a normal metropolitan area.
>>
File: 13.-BNSF-intermodal-map[1].png (432KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
13.-BNSF-intermodal-map[1].png
432KB, 1366x768px
Most mainlines in America don't pass through a major metropolitan area.

For example, look at this map of BNSF's network. Outside of the cities specifically marked there is basically nothing there. There is fuck-all between Spokane and Minneapolis, and Spokane and Denver. Same with the majority of the southern route. Hundreds, thousands of miles of what is basically wilderness. Just the track and the open country. Europeans will never understand how vast and empty most of America is.
>>
>>1012031
Trains this long are terribly coordinated with other train meets. You can't hold this train to meet anything, you just have to keep it moving. You'll notice something about it if you checked the consist, though; it's not terribly heavy. Despite being 100 cars longer than that other train, it's 8,000 tons lighter because it's all empties. You can get a train like that up to speed with two engines provided it's not terribly hilly terrain.

The impractical aspect is when it comes to train line air pressure. There's too much leakage in a train this long. You'll sit on it pumping, and pumping, and pumping for the air pressure to slowly build up. We had crossings blocked for nearly 2 hours and even had a police officer come up and threaten us with a ticket.

But everything else you questioned is really a non issue. A yard can hold a train this big without too much trouble. You just put it away in multiple tracks. Passing through metropolitan areas isn't a big concern as long as it keeps moving it's not going to be blocking crossings for more than about 5 minutes.

>>1011810
You know a little bit, but you don't know what you don't know. These two trains were both manifest trains running a rather short turn. Unit trains are never in excess of 150 cars by and large. Most are between 100-125 cars, and these are cycle trains. Trains that are never broken up and just run a dedicated loop between two destinations.(Think of a dedicated coal train from mine to terminal.)
>>
File: 2531995_orig.jpg (31KB, 857x510px) Image search: [Google]
2531995_orig.jpg
31KB, 857x510px
would you /n/?

Chengdu, China - Lodz, Poland in 12 days
>>
>>1012074
Interesting, thanks!
>>
>>1012033
I think an intermodal goes through my neighborhood in Kansa. Neat
>>
>feet and miles
>expecting europeans to care
>>
>>1012085
>China to Poland in 12 days
Pretty sure that a trip on those rails would be measured in weeks not days senpai
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.