[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ever tried to skate to work or other places?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

File: skateboard.jpg (99KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
skateboard.jpg
99KB, 1920x1080px
Is this a common form of transportation for anyone?
>>
>>1011145
>Is this a common form of transportation for anyone?
For children and hobo manchildren.

It's the stupidest form of transportation. If you want to go to a skatepark or do tricks fine, but otherwise it's retarded.
>>
>>1011145
>skateboarding
>transportation
it sucks for that purpose. it´s okay if you just want to skate down the block and back but is not useful for actual traveling/ commuting because you´d have to be pretty good at it to not crash. also, skate to work? you´ll look like a manchild nobody at your workplace will take you serious
>>
A guy at my old job used to long board to work. He also had a neck beard, bragged about being a functional alcoholic, and didn't have a car because he got into an accident while intoxicated.

He was also always really sweaty when he got to work. It was fucking disgusting.

No judgement if you do it for fun, but for transportation, I don't think it's a good idea.
>>
Yes, i have tried. Once.
>>
>>1011145
it's way too loud.
>>
File: amh.jpg (30KB, 340x346px) Image search: [Google]
amh.jpg
30KB, 340x346px
Guys, if you see people skateboarding around, it's not because they think it's practical, it's because they think it's fun
>>
>>1011145
It's not practical unless you just want to have some fun on the way to and from work. It's not really common. Having said that, on a college campus its way better than a bike. You can take it with you and don't have to worry about it getting stolen.
>>
>>1011145
>>1011154
>>1011166

I skate to work everyday... My job is 1.5km away from my home, at that distance getting my bike out, wearing my helmet, bringing my lock and locking it up at work is way too much work. I grab my board and its twice as fast as walking. I also have a blast riding it.

A buddy of mine bikes a very similar distance to work and i always pass him as he's locking up his bike.

Also i work at a major tech company and everyone sees me walk in with my board, and they still take me seriously.

Just don't try doing it for anything longer than 2km
>>
>>1011426
your friend doesn't go fast enough, and he should be taking his bike into work instead of locking it up outside
>>
If you live close to work and there's path to skate on sure. Otherwise it's gonna suck But doable if it's the only transportation you have
>>
>>1011288
I think masterbating is fun, but you don't see me doing it on the sidewalk.
>>
How about getting a 20" folding bike? I think a single speed folder would be usable on a halfpipe too, maybe not as strong or lightweight as a BMX bike, but could still be a lot of fun on ramps. I took my 29er on a halfpipe and it was kind of scary, keep in mind I am a giant pussy but it felt like I had trouble turning and I didn't get up to the top. On a folding bike you should be able to do freestyle BMX tricks at least somewhat.
>>
Doable if you live close and have good pavement. Also terrain height profile would be something to consider.

I always felt the wheels are too small and too fat to be energy efficient.
>>
>>1011145
Skated to work a couple of times when my bike had mechanical issues. Was fun. So it's doable, but depends on distance to/from your job and the surface quality of pavement on your route.
>>1011426
3km is still fine.
>>
I think its less the path and more the wheels that end up being a problem using a skateboard as transportation. You want soft wheels for transportation, hard wheels are a horrible time on uneven ground.. but people kind of summed it up, if it's too long to work then a skateboard isnt the best option
>>
I'm unsure about skateboarding, but I had both my bicycle and razor scooter in college, and I used the scooter much more since it's more comfortable to ride.
>>
>>1011145
All good till you hit a tiny pebble, fly eight meters through the air then do your best impersonation of a road crayon.

> bad idea breh
>>
>>1011726
l2skate
l2avoidobstacles
>>
>>1011426
>1.5km
That's not even a mile, and a pathetic excuse/example of "commuting" to work.

You practically live at your job, your job is like a neighbor. So your opinion is invalid.

I can bike a mile with hills and traffic on the road in 5 minutes.

Just because people at your work don't flat out laugh in your face doean't mean they don't talk shit and laugh about you behind your back. Loser.
>>
>>1011726
Just Ollie that shit bruh
>>
>>1011924
>not nollie tre flipping ditches on your way to work
>>
I wanted to do it as a child because of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yGZ2fQfM-A

But in reality it was rough and sweaty and I wasn't allowed on the roads.
>>
If there are a lot of hills between you and your destination, it can be faster than walking and more fun (but way slower) than a bike. You just walk up hills and skate down them.

There's an hour and a half walk between me and my school and it took me an hour going down the hills on my mini cruiser.
>>
>>1012076
On flat terrain it's not that slower than a bike. I get
40min walking
30min by bus (including walking half of the distance because shit infrastructure)
20min skating
10-15min cycling (usually around 15, 10 if I gotta go fast and/or am lucky with the red lights)
>>
>>1012107
A bike is takes 10 times less effort on flatground too.
>>
File: 1460900467512.gif (47KB, 250x194px) Image search: [Google]
1460900467512.gif
47KB, 250x194px
>tfw my revs scare the shit out of skating kids

hohoho
>>
>>1012038
>not mctwisting over ditches and off sidewalks
>>
>>1011145
I often use a kickscooter when going to "work" because the route is mostly downhill and diagonal to the public transit lines. It's pretty fast and fun and I can just pack the scooter and take it to my office or on the tram on the way back. But if the weather or the ground is wet, I can't use the scooter at all.
>>
>friend has been using a penny board for commuting and getting around town for over a month now
>claims he cant afford a bicycle
>asked him what happened to his other bikes
>"oh theyre flat so i cant use them and i cant fix them"
>>
>>1011145
no because it's stupidly impractical and inefficient

the only benefit they have is you get to feel like you're cool and i guess theyre portable?
>>
Is better if you put it logboard wheels
>>
>>1012276
You forgot about enjoying yourself, slave
>>
if you work at a sandwich shop and smoke weed with your manager after your shift then sure, ride a board to work

if you work in a real job, then you wouldn't be asking this question
>>
>>1012296
Man, "real jobs" sound miserable
>>
>>1012296
>work in IT
>smoke weed with my manager
>skate to work
>>
>>1011288
No argument here, just not as a practical or efficient means of transportation, purely for recreational use.
Honestly I felt like I could get around easier/faster by briskly walking, as far as level ground/sidewalk goes, same for scooters and forget trying to get up an incline from level ground at any speed.
>>
File: hello it.jpg (39KB, 648x348px) Image search: [Google]
hello it.jpg
39KB, 648x348px
>>1012375
>being the computer janitor for people who do actual work

Sad!
>>
>>1012401
Nah, I work in software development.
>>
You could try an electric skateboard
>>
>>1011769
spoken like an 80 year old faggot
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.