[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Utilitarian Bikes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6

File: CImage.ashx.png (73KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
CImage.ashx.png
73KB, 300x300px
This is the ultimate /n/ bike. Folds to fit into other forms of transport, racks to carry luggage, Internal geared hub so weather less of an issue. Brakes sufficient and tyres semi-slick while wide enough for padding.
Prove me wrong.
>>
I mostly agree, but as much as I love small wheeled bikes I think there are uses that call for larger wheels and more solid frames. Still though, for grocery runs, commutes or drinks I do take my folder over a full sized bike.
>>
>>1010177
I must admit, you do have a point about some applications needing a more sturdy frame. Do you think, with sufficient R&D investment, it is possible to meet those standards with a folding bike?
I found that unless exceeding 30mph the smaller wheels have never been weaker for me - cobbles feel mostly the same if using 1.5 inch wide tyres but YMMV.
>>
File: 2359987710_2e5e2ba16e_b.jpg (687KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
2359987710_2e5e2ba16e_b.jpg
687KB, 1024x768px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWuv8hNz44s
>>
I've got one I think it's a great bike. The main place where it lacks is offroad, but I have a MTB with wheels bigger than the whole folded brompton for that.

Mine's a 6sp with shitmano generator. I rode it for a few years with the 50T but recently replaced it with the 44T chainring which makes it even more comfy to ride. A good reliable bike.
>>
Until you ride into a pothole and it fucking swallows your entire wheel
>>
>>1010178
>it is possible to meet those standards with a folding bike?
well any machine is only as strong as it's weakest element
I figure the weakest points are hinges, the better hinge the sturdier the bike
I don't think we have any 100% infallible hinges yet, or at least with the sturdiness of hingless frame
>>
>>1010187
Well could this be from lack of interest/investment?
>>
>>1010187

I think Brompton has the frame reliability covered, it's the only bike they make. I bought one after visiting London and seeing flocks of them commuting on shitty tight roads. Any bike that can be reliable in those conditions is a good bike.
>>
>>1010190
I think it's likely
I think there's no real demand, frames that don't murder you are sufficient for most people
other thing is that such hinges would ruin the weight or price depending on the materials
it might just not be economically valid development goal
>>
>>1010194
What would be the cheapest way to get a folding bike as new so I get full service etc?
>>
>>1010194

>when idiots talk about engineering

I seriously doubt that hinges are a failure point on a bike like the Brompton. It's far more likely for the brazed junctions to fail.
>>
>>1010196
you're right, although I think everybody knows what's up, we all saw those chinese dahon knockoffs cracking
>>
>>1010197
>dahon

Yeah I don't think alloy is a good material for these kind of frames. Riding a Brompton you can feel it's like a springy arch, I gather that the flexy properties of steel alleviate stress points. Alu has a definite failure mode though and there's no way you can make a single bar frame stiff enough to not flex into failure mode.
>>
>>1010199
I am too partial to steel frames, on all my bikes even
>>
Utilitarian you say
>>
>>1010200

Me also, and I gather that the top-tier folders like Bike Friday and Brompton use cromo for a reason. Saying that I have no problem with alloy on road and full-sus mtb where it makes more sense.
>>
>>1010177
>I think there are uses that call for larger wheels and more solid frames.
What kind of uses?. I have a foldable bike with 20' wheels and I carry 25-30kg pretty often and neved had any problem, and it's a fucking noname BSO.

I think foldable bikes are really underrated by elitists, I have a bigger bike, but the foldable one is a beast and has saved me thousand of euros.
>>
For a city bike you can't beat a folder. Take it in the bar with you, take it in a cab back to a QT house and ride home the next day. :3
>>
Are the other brands as good as Bromptons?
Why is there such a markup on Bromptons?
>>
>>1010338

Bike Friday has a good reputation as a reliable, good riding folding bike, and also fetches a premium price. I don't think there's that much markup on a Brompton, they are mostly locally manufactured in London so don't get the ching-chong cut-price treatment. But the price is pretty much par for a quality commuter.
>>
>>1010338
moulton
>>
>>1010338
Brompton is actually the cheapest quality folder with exception to the Taiwanese brands.
>>
>>1010420
What about for someone who is broke?
>>
>>1010473
>broke?
aliexpress all the way
>>
>>1010473

Look on the second hand market. Raleighs and other old folders maybe an option.
>>
>>1010201
And can you get that on a plane to go overseas without exceptional hassle?
>>
>>1010714
Neither can you take a car on a plane but that doesn't stop people from driving
>>
>>1010826
Are you damaged?
That is a reason bikes are better than murdercages. Learn to read you dumb cunt.
>>
>>1010827
(people go on plane without car, lands, rent a car)
>>
>>1010167

It looks gay, though.
>>
>>1010878

You'd know. :^)
>>
>>1010167

I liek that new luggage. :3c
>>
>>1010167
>slower
>less stable
>can't carry as much/less rack accessibility

if you're not constantly going on subways/buses/planes as a part of your commute, then just get yourself a touring bike.
>>
>>1010991

I see you've never ridden a Brompton.
>>
>>1010183
Don't ride into potholes then
>>
Can you ride one of these without looking like a dingus?
>>
>>1011041
don't you already look like a dingus with all that lycra and stupid caps
>>
One nice feature of the Brompton which I think isn't available elsewhere is the half-fold. Just tuck that tail under and the bike is so much shorter when you're getting in a lift or standing on a platform. It even locks in that position which is really nice and is much faster than doing a full fold every time you need a slightly smaller bike.
>>
>brooks on a bike that won't go further than a couple of km

y tho
>>
>>1011371

I've done a ton on my bike.
>>
>>1011143
I'm not athletic enough to justify wearing full kit, just bib shorts instead of underwear under normie clothes
>>
File: Victory.jpg (3MB, 2641x2585px) Image search: [Google]
Victory.jpg
3MB, 2641x2585px
>>1010167
I've had my Brompton since early June of this year and I have to say this is by far the best folding bike I've gotten my hands on. I've ridden more casual foldies in the Dahon Speed/Mu line (shit, don't even consider), as well as higher end bikes like the Formula S18, and the Tern Verge X10 and I'd say the Brompton really blows all of them out of the water. I live in NYC and no amount of bike locking is gonna keep a Verge X10 from getting lifted, let alone cheaper shit and it's way more cumbersome to bring indoors and store despite being as light as it is (about 20 lbs).
Sure, it's a pretty hefty investment for a foldie but since I've had my Brompton I've literally been saving around $120 a month on transportation costs alone, not to mention the fact my commute to work is actually faster than using public transportation. Sure, it's got some silly little wheels but the suspension helps it ride like any other bike. The steel frame adds a bit of weight in exchange for an incredibly durable build, and despite not being quite as fast as a roadie they're deceptively agile bikes. I've taken mine up to Nassau on a weekend trip and introduction to doing a bit of touring (about 110~ miles) and the Brompton's definitely taken care of me.
Do be conscious of your wheels though, don't run into potholes, and pay attention when you're blazing downhill because you accelerate way, way faster than a roadie will.
>>
>>1010167

i just looked up the price to one of these short bus bikes and are you guys actually fucking retarded or
>>
>>1011584

>sub 2k for a quality bike

Poorfaggotry detected. Enjoy your dumpster-dive OTS.
>>
File: 1405440265957.gif (3MB, 286x258px) Image search: [Google]
1405440265957.gif
3MB, 286x258px
>>1011584
>short bus bikes
>>
>>1010167

They are nice looking bikes.
>>
>>1011584
The bike pays itself as long as you keep it. With my shitty foldable BSO I save 80 euro each month, 80x12=960 euro saved by the bike, and that's only the basic amount, because I use the bike many other times that also saves me some money. If you buy a brompton, you will cover the cost in less than 2 years, and that's a quality bike that will last more than 2 years.
>>
>>1010167

m8 its dumb just get a good useful road bike

>Folds to fit into other forms of transport
dont need it
>racks to carry luggage
wear a backpack
plenty of regular bikes have rack mounts
>Internal geared hub so weather less of an issue
take decent care of your bike and its a nonissue
>Brakes sufficient
Oh boy, my bike is so sufficient, cant wait to ride it
> tyres semi-slick
yeah, not slick, only semi, in case I wanna bomb some fire roads on my folding bike
>wide enough for padding
if you need "padding" the tires are the wrong place to look and also how big of a wuss are you where you cant ride anything thinner than 32cm
>>
>>1010167
Hardly the most utilitarian
touring bikes would be better. more reliable and versitle

more mounts, can carry more stuff
more versatile, can be repaired easily with whatever parts
more reliable because there's not retarded hinges
lighter
uses a wheel size you can actually find parts for easily
wider gear range for when you're going up hills hauling a bunch of shit, IGHs have poor range, which you dont want when you're carrying said luggage
also you don't look like an actual clown
>>
File: fatbike.jpg (46KB, 554x455px) Image search: [Google]
fatbike.jpg
46KB, 554x455px
>>1012015
>anything thinner than 32cm
>>
>>1011372
Continuously?
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.