[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/n/ Essential Reading

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: 034dce50.jpg (270KB, 1500x997px) Image search: [Google]
034dce50.jpg
270KB, 1500x997px
Thread for good /n/-related books and books that every good citize/n/ should read.

This can include the following (as a guideline):

BIKES: bicycle repair books, history of bicycles, introductions and guides to cycling, books about professional cycling, books about bicycle touring.

RAILROADS AND TRAINS: history of railways and trains, history of subways and streetcars, railway and train design, polemics on the future of trains.

CITIES AND URBAN DESIGN: history of the evolution of cities, anti-private-automobile tracts/rants, good design of roads.

Also, books on aircraft and ships are welcomed as well.
>>
File: bicycling_science_cover.jpg (31KB, 317x475px) Image search: [Google]
bicycling_science_cover.jpg
31KB, 317x475px
I like to read, but somehow I haven't come across many /n/-related books I like enough to recommend. I'm looking forward to reading Road to Valor soon, I've heard good things about it.

>Bikes
Bicycling Science by David Wilson
-Great primer on the physics and physiology that explain how bicycles function and are ridden. Also includes some general background on the development of bicycles and other HPVs. Worth reading for any mechanic or rider who wants to really understand why things work the way they do. Only thing this book lacks is a comprehensive section on suspension, hopefully that will be included in the 4th edition.

-Bicycle Quarterly (Magazine)
Really good writing, great photographs, interesting topics. Highly recommend if you're interested in randonneuring -type bikes, the history of European cycling, and technical reviews of products currently on the market.

-The Dancing Chain by Frank Berto
Actually I don't recommend this one, I'm mentioning it here to save you the trouble of tracking down a copy and being disappointed. An excellent book when it was published, this has since been superceded by material available on the internet.

>Cities
- The Geography of Nowhere by James Howard Kunstler
This is a delightful book about urbanism and planning - it has its flaws, but being dry is not one of them. Kunstler is a passionate author and if you've not encountered his work before it will open your eyes to a new way of looking at the world.

- http://usa.streetsblog.org/
A collection of many blogs, and every weekday morning they publish a collection of links of articles and stories from around the web that touch on transportation, mass transit, planning, and urbanism in general.
>>
>>1009519
you should get on your bike and fuck off back to /pol/ m8
>>
File: Jobst-EN.jpg (678KB, 1228x1094px) Image search: [Google]
Jobst-EN.jpg
678KB, 1228x1094px
>>1009514

I read this. An entire book about bicycle wheels.

Imagine your grandpa is drunk and has autism and wants you to know that everything you know about bike wheels is wrong

After I read it I sat down to true a wheel and made it much much worse. The wheel is still sitting in my basement three years later
>>
>>1009514
Is there a bike repair/maintenance bible that would cover everything I'm ever likely to want or need to do?
>>
>>1009601
>Is there a bike repair/maintenance bible that would cover everything I'm ever likely to want or need to do?

I don't own it, but from what I've read, Zinn's books are probably the most complete. He has one for road bikes and another mountain bikes.
>>
>>1009514

Has anybody read Christian Wolmar's railroad histories? How good are they?

Indigo is selling Engines of War for 10 bucks.
>>
http://carfree.com/book/index.html
>>
https://www.amazon.com/Box-Shipping-Container-Smaller-Economy/dp/0691123241
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.