[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New study: bike helmets reduce head injury rates by 70%

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 13

File: girl-bike-helmet.jpg (142KB, 900x525px) Image search: [Google]
girl-bike-helmet.jpg
142KB, 900x525px
> a comprehensive review by Australian statisticians Jake Olivier and Prudence Creighton from the University of New South Wales that drew together data from more than 40 separate studies found helmet use was associated with dramatically reduced odds of head injuries.

>“Helmet use is associated with odds reductions of 51% for head injury, 69% for serious head injury, 33% for face injury and 65% for fatal head injury. Injuries to the neck were rare and not associated with helmet use,” the study found.

>“These results suggest that strategies to increase the uptake of bicycle helmets should be considered along with other injury prevention strategies as part of a comprehensive cycling safety plan.”

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/sep/22/bicycle-helmets-reduce-risk-of-serious-head-injury-by-nearly-70-study-finds

>But muh hair!

You brain is far far more important than you hair, you twit.

Anti-helmet fags BTFO.
>>
>>1009509
That stuff save my life two times
>>
Ok, this changed my view. Are you happy, OP?

Still wouldn't be necessary if murdercages weren't a thing.
>>
File: HelmetSafety.jpg (48KB, 660x481px) Image search: [Google]
HelmetSafety.jpg
48KB, 660x481px
Yes, we've known for a long time that helmets reduce head injuries in the event of a crash. Nobody disputes that.

The issue with helmet promotion is that usually helmets get promoted and then... that's it. No infrastructure changes. No policy changes. No "comprehensive cycling safety plan" aside from telling cyclists to be safe when "sharing" the road with 4,000 vehicles going 50mph.
>>
>>1009520

>Nobody disputes that.

Every time the "helmet hate thread" finally slides, a new one gets posted, and fills with people disputing it.
>>
Any argument for mandatory helmets also applies to cars. Also mandatory water wings would undeniably save lives.
>>
>trusting anything coming out of Australia
>>
File: newzealandhelmetsv6.jpg (430KB, 1470x1095px) Image search: [Google]
newzealandhelmetsv6.jpg
430KB, 1470x1095px
>>1009509
'Kay. So helmets are effective at reducing the severity of non-concussion head injury, IF YOU HIT YOUR HEAD while cycling.

Unfortunately for helmetfags, the risk of head injury is already low enough regardless for it to not matter, and risk was raised significantly by the effects of mandatory helmet law due to safety-in-numbers effects. So in general bicycle helmets remain unnecessary and mandatory helmet law remains counterproductive. Useful if you're racing or mountain biking or whatever though.
>>
>>1009536
There's some crazy idea people get in their heads that "zero fatalities" is possible or even desirable, and that anything that saves lives, anything at all no matter what it is, is somehow worth it. Never mind the boring totalitarian nightmare they'll eventually create if they keep trying to remove all possible risk like that. Eventually we wouldn't even be able to have a shower without a helmet since we might slip and hit our heads.
>>
>>1009509
DELETE THIS

We must let natural selection take it's natural course.

t. Charles Darwin.
>posting from my iPhone whilst rolling in my grave
>>
>>1009536
>Any argument for mandatory helmets also applies to cars.

Only if you happen to be developmentally challenged.
>>
>>1009509
New study: bike helmets reduce head injury rates by 70%*

> * In pleb grandmas and low IQ hipsters who can into situational awareness and also fuck yourself
>>
There are people out there that are so stupid, if you told them to imagine a green cat, they couldn't do it. About 10% of the population is this stupid.

The average person has an IQ of 100. That barely qualifies you to be a receptionist at a dentist's office. You won't even do a good job.

These are the people driving cars.

But these are also the people who ride bikes when you give them helmets.

The drive their walmart hardtail to a local walking trail and head off for adventure.

Many of them cannot balance a bike, yet ride at speeds beyond their skill level, and fall.

I have ridden a modest 40 miles a week for ten years, through downtown urban traffic, as well as a commute section taking place on a three lane road with cars going 40 mph.

I have fallen three times. Once when I first started, once after ten beers, and once because I rode on the sidewalk.

Helmets are for retards.

Fuckyourself OP

Use a butterknife to dig your eyes out of their sockets and then fill the holes with boiling water

You are a fag
>>
>>1009509

Only wear helmets while XC. Don't giv a fuk when road cycling though.
>>
>>1009570

oops I forgot to use ⭐ Cycling Pro ⭐ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ ᵃᶜᶜᵒᵘᶰᵗ
>>
How was the study made? Did they come to accidents, then looked at the biker and said "yep, that helmet saved his life"
You can't make a study like that. This doesn't take into account the bikers skill at all. Most old people wear helmets and most of them cause accidents. I seriously doubt any study about helmets.
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
I bought this today

Rate
>>
I need a helmet but I want one I can use mtb'ing and road cycling because I'm a poorfag. Is there any significant difference?
>>
>>1009579
did you just buy a 200-300$ helmet to use for commuting?
>>
>>1009599
mtb commuting ;)
>>
>>1009600
are you fucking serious? are you just made out of money?
>>
>>1009602
I earn $106,000 annually after taxes
>>
>>1009509
If it weren't for the $35 helmet I was wearing a few years ago, the crash I suffered a mile to the finish of a road race, that I walked away from with a big dent in my helmet, would have ended with me in an ambulance (or a life-flight helicopter, due to the remote location of the race) -- or perhaps with me in the MORGUE. Later I had a gigantic hematoma on my left hip that took almost a month to completely go away. Don't be stubborn, wear a goddamned helmet already.

>>1009516
>Still wouldn't be necessary if murdercages weren't a thing.
Wrong. The crash I was in had to do with another cyclist. The only other crash I've ever been in was years and years ago, due to a seam in the pavement that I didn't see until too late. Another situation I was in, was descending a *mountain* and having a tube fail on me due to rim heating. Any number of things can happen to cause you to have an accident on a bicycle that has nothing whatsoever to do with automobiles.

Also grow up, kid. You wouldn't even HAVE a bicycle if cars weren't invented, we'd be living like the Amish still. You wouldn't probably BE here at all, you'd have died in childhood (you're still a child, though, aren't you?) of some easily-treatable illness because you had to walk or ride or horse or some shit like that, to get to a doctor in time. Seriously, you fringies and your anti-motor vehicle attitude need to just get over it. They're here to stay and you're just making yourselves look rediculous.
>>
>>1009570
I was following along until you said Helmets are for retards

You, my friend, are the retard :)
>>
>>1009578
>most old people wear helmets
Where is this? I can't remember when is the last time I've seen an old person wear a helmet outside a race where it's mandatory. And I see old people riding on daily basis.

>>1009599
I use a helmet in the same price range for commuting. I also use it outside commutes but I don't see a problem in buying a quality helmet.
>>
>>1009520
helmetfags blown the fuck out
>>
>>1009611
seems like a waste of money for commuting, regardless of cost they all fit the same safety standards, if you were to spend more money on a helmet it would have to be for a MIPS system. the only benefit on spending more money on a helmet is weight and ventilation really.
>>
>>1009579
>>1009615
i don't know what it is but it looks pretty cool

if it cost over $100 and it doesn't have mips though, yeah, bad choice, i'll stick with my dorky giro
>>
>>1009609
>wear a goddamned helmet already
If you want to convince people, maybe you should start by making an argument that's more convincing than waving an anecdote around everywhere. Or do I have to go grab an anecdote about some guy falling over and hitting his head while walking to the shops, thus showing how all pedestrians should wear helmets? Is that what I have to do?
>>
>>1009615
I didn't buy mine for commuting. I bought it for racing and generally riding my bike. No point not to use the helmet for commutes when you've got it.

Also lower weight and better ventilation are nothing to scoff at. They can make a pretty big difference in comfort. The pricier helmets also usually have much comfier straps.
>>
>>1009509

NEW STUDY
IT HAS BEEN FOUND THAT PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT PROTECTS YOU

HOLY SHIT!
>>
I wear a helmet, because my one is comfy and well vented and light and I don't notice it. I know if a car fucks me then it's not gonna do shit but if I fall at slow speed because a dog r stray chinese student walks out and my head lightly bounces off the pavement, or if im skidding on my back after crashing and my head falls abckwards Id rather not have a gaping wound or road rash on my skull as well as a possible concussion.

Also, I don't care about looking stupid because literally everyone here wears a helmet. Its almost part of the modern roadie look.
>>
>>1009599
I got it for going fast/racing just used it while working today
For fast I rate it 9/10
For more casual use i rate it 3/10
It fits well and is pretty AERO, but it gets hot as fug because it has no vents.

>>1009597
Just get something like the propero 2 tbqh senpai, they are pretty cheap for a good helmet
>>
>>1009627
>he thinks bicycle helmets protect against concussions
As long as you're enjoying your rock that keeps tigers away, I suppose...

Here's something we can all agree on though: Bicycle helmets are completely pointless for recumbent riders, no matter how you measure it.
>>
I wear a helmet sometimes.
>>
>>1009637

>Id rather not have a gaping wound or road rash on my skull as well as a possible concussion.

Admittedly that wasnt worded very well, but what I meant was I'd rather just have a concussion rather than an open head wound as well as a concussion
>>
>>1009645
And statistically the risk of getting into a crash where you could get a gaping head wound as a cyclist is similar to the risk of same as a pedestrian. Unless the form of cycling you're doing is known to be significantly higher risk, eg racing, downhill mountain biking.
>>
>>1009646

Yeah so what. Why are you so butthurt that I wear a cycling helmet? Idgaf if you don't
>>
>>1009609
>the crash I suffered a mile to the finish of a road race

i've never heard a sinlge person dispute that you should wear a helmet in a road race
>>
>>1009648
Oh, I don't care about you specifically wearing a helmet. Have fun. I care about people who claim everyone should wear a bicycle helmet while cycling no matter what. Also I'm kinda irritated about the whole issue 'cause Straya.
>>
>>1009646

I don't think anybody can convince me that Im just as likely to get an open head wound walking around than commuting at 15-20mph or something on my bike and going over the handlebars. Sure I'll probably fuck myself up in other ways as well if that happens but at least I might not have a big gash on my forehead. For the time it takes to strap on my helmet and how much it effect me after that then I don't see a problem.
>>
>>1009650

Righto chum. I probably agree with you. The average fat idiot on a BSO would probably end up thinkong they're invincible and ride stupidly I guess
>>
>>1009509
if you rode carefully like a civilised human being you would not need a helmet, m8

>git gud

I hope you get hit by a truck
>>
>>1009651
It's on a per km traveled basis with cause of injury unspecified. The chance of you somehow obtaining a head injury while walking 1km down the street is about the same as the chance of you somehow obtaining a head injury while cycling 1km down the street. You can find studies and government statistics (I've seen some from USA, UK, and Australia from before mandatory helmet law) to back this up. I don't have them on hand at the moment though, and it's around 3am, so you can go find them yourself if you're interested.
>>
>>1009609
OP was convincing but you just sound like a god damn retard.
>>
File: img_5927.png (1MB, 748x801px) Image search: [Google]
img_5927.png
1MB, 748x801px
Can you guys all just fucking chill okay it's like think about BIKES and how chill they are and just DO YOUR THING DUDE ???
>>
>>1009659
Is that a Yehuda moon cosplay?
>>
>>1009649
Until now. No reason for a pro to wear w helmet in a race. And pros didn't start wearing helmets until 2 thousand and fucking THREE.
>>
>>1009609
>If it weren't for the $35 helmet I was wearing a few years ago, the crash I suffered a mile to the finish of a road race, that I walked away from with a big dent in my helmet, would have ended with me in an ambulance (or a life-flight helicopter, due to the remote location of the race) -- or perhaps with me in the MORGUE
You have no way of knowing that.
>>
>>1009578
>How was the study made? Did they come to accidents, then looked at the biker and said "yep, that helmet saved his life"
>You can't make a study like that. This doesn't take into account the bikers skill at all. Most old people wear helmets and most of them cause accidents. I seriously doubt any study about helmets.

FYI THIS IS NOT THE REAL CYCLING PRO BUY AN IMPOSTER

DO NOT RESPOND TO HIM

ALWAYS LOOK FOR THE (TM)

THANK YOU
>>
>>1009516
cars are pretty big and easy to see 90% of the time
if you're still having trouble navigating around them, maybe cycling isn't for you
>>
File: deercar.jpg (30KB, 480x329px) Image search: [Google]
deercar.jpg
30KB, 480x329px
>>1009853
Then please get around this texting beer-sipping bus driver going 40.

I welcome the dawn of autonomous cages.
>>
>>1009570
>I haven't had a bad fall yet so it cant happen right?

jesus man, just because you haven't hit your head before doesn't mean it won't happen in the future.
>>
File: ixSdAMb.gif (11KB, 501x504px) Image search: [Google]
ixSdAMb.gif
11KB, 501x504px
>>1009509
This guy! Listen to this guy! Remember more expensive = more safe!

t. local helmet merchant
>>
>>1009657
Shove it up your ass, faggot, and stop acting like a petulant child and put on a goddamned helmet when you ride a bike.

>>1009851
The dent in the helmet was a pretty goddamned good indicator of the size of the fracture that would have been in my SKULL and the massive brain injury I would have sustained because of that.
>>
>>1009878
>jesus man, just because you haven't hit your head before doesn't mean it won't happen in the future.
When you see posts like whoever that was? Read their comment in your head in the voice of a 10 or 12 year old boy. Suddenly it all makes sense, doesn't it?
>>
File: 1471895682682.gif (99KB, 425x301px) Image search: [Google]
1471895682682.gif
99KB, 425x301px
Not falling reduces injury rates even more
>>
>>1009900
Nobody here is glad a helmet saved your life. Frankly, STFU. Large epidemiological studies like in OP exist because your anecdotes are scientifically worthless and personally insufferable. Also, quit being a fucking idiot.

>>1009902
this guy gets it
>>
>>1009509
These statistics swayed by cultural differences between cycling disciplines and levels.

Commuters are highly unlikely to forgo a helmet. BMX kids probably will. Riding without a helmet looks more risky on paper, because it is more popular amongst more dangerous disciplines.
>>
File: 1439981246447.jpg (28KB, 500x395px) Image search: [Google]
1439981246447.jpg
28KB, 500x395px
>bike helmets reduce head injury rates
>New study
uh. no fucking shit?
Is this not common sense? Hello?
>>
>>1009922
You have to prove the "obvious" things, though, so you can define and quantify them rigorously and inform public policy. Please learn to science.
>>
>>1009919
This.

You probably can observe the same result with skiers. The ones that wear helmets might get injured more and even suffer more head injuries. However that's because they're doing more dangerous activities and are more prone to injuries. Not because helmets don't offer any protection.

>>1009835
Neither did slalom skiers until the start of 21st century. And they fought against the change. Pros don't care about safety that much if it means using something they're not used to. Race car drivers fought against the Hans brace when it came.
>>
Are there any helmets I can wear without looking like:
A) a tryhard faggot or fred
B) a retard

I got this helmet for $30 thinking it was an affordable inbetween (sorry about pic, it was already on pc and i can't be fucked taking a new one) and I think I just look like a retard.

What 'style' or 'make' of helmet looks good in a casual way?
>>
>>1009509
No fucks given, how about you people cycle on the sidewalk and just be a little more cautious when crossing the road?
>>
>>1009947
i dont know about other countries, any might be irrelevant since helmets are the law here too, but its illegal to ride on the sidewalk if you're over 12 in australia
>>
>>1009948
Shit, really? That means I've been breaking the law for the past 7 years (+no helmet plenty of times)
>>
>>1009950
I assume it's pretty situational, and mainly to avoid cunts knocking pedestrians over, also NSW law, mate copped a $50 fine from some arsehole cop for it.
http://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/customers/cycling/laws-and-penalties
>>
>>1009951
I guess, I live in a pretty tame area in WA, barely any cops ever around
>>
>>1009946
>Trying this hard to not look like a tryhard
>>
>>1009946
Skate helmets look much cooler, but the trade-off is ventilation if it happens to get hot in your area.
>>
>>1009946
>>1009965
Actually, have a look at multi sport helmets too.
>>
You've got to wear helmets in my part of Australia.
Not because of the cycling or the cars, but for the fucking magpies.
>>
>>1009965
Skate helmets don't look cool at all. You look like a retarded person. I'd rather look like a tryhard.
>>
maybe I don't value my life as much as you seem to OP
>>
>a comprehensive review by Australian statisticians
Stopped reading there.
>>
>>1009509
Helmets also prevent leg injuries. Helmet users have less serious accidents over all. Failure to correct for this leads to retarded conclusions such as those spread by OP, the massive candy-ass.

And, even if helmets prevented _all_ head injuries they'd still only prevent an insignificant portion of disabling cycling injuries. Head injuries are that rare in cycling.
And, there is considerable proof that helmets do not prevent even a statistically significant portion of serious head injuries. See the first few lines of my post to understand why the scientific community discards these crackpots. Media and motor lobby love them though. That's why they keep getting exposure.
>>
>>1010068
Those things are deadly, I was attacked by several yesterday
>>
File: 1466525839614.jpg (68KB, 800x526px) Image search: [Google]
1466525839614.jpg
68KB, 800x526px
>4 cycling fatalities in my city this summer
>all of them were wearing foam hats when they died
really jogs the neurons
>>
>>1009856
What are you going to do? Crash into the car and get put in a wheel chair to teach someone a lesson?
>>
>organ donors getting salty: the thread
>>
>"fuckin cagers, like little fuckin slaves in thier cages ha ha! Now if you'll exuse me, I'm gonna put a cage on my head and go for a bike ride."
>>
>>1009509
Doesn't Australia have mandatory helmet laws? I'm pretty sure i even read an article about a cop tackling a guy on his bicycle because he didn't have a helmet. Did a cyclist without a helmet rape your president or some shit?
>>
File: helment1[1].jpg (79KB, 795x435px) Image search: [Google]
helment1[1].jpg
79KB, 795x435px
>>1010175
>>1009520
>>1009536

The hocus pocus in Australia is the jump from "helmets reduce head injuries" to "helmets should be mandatory", and the lack of benefit that mandatory helmet laws produce.

>>1009542
>>trusting anything coming out of Australia
Sometimes they have things with good entertainment value. Pic related.
>>
>>1010299
yeah if you aren't cycling completely naked you are a little slave cuck who will never know freedom
>>
>>1009900
>The dent in the helmet was a pretty goddamned good indicator
No it wasn't.
>>
Anyone that doesn't support helmets has never wrecked hard enough to need one in their life. When you walk away from an accident and your helmet is cracked and the front rubbed off (which would have been your forehead rubbing against pavement) then you'll understand.
>>
>>1011140
Anyone that doesn't support pedestrian helmets has never fallen hard enough to need one in their life. When you get back up from an accident and your walking helmet is cracked and the front rubbed off (which would have been your forehead rubbing against the pavement) then you'll understand.
>>
I don't believe a helmet has been a factor in any of my crash injuries, I do wear one because they are hats for starters so keep the sun and rain out of my eyes. They also do protect me from low-hanging branches and swooping magpies, quite a lot.

I do know for a fact that they're worthless when I'm rolling along a shared path with my lady in the sun.
>>
>>1009516
Strongly disagree. Of the two big crashes I had only one was because of a pizza hut scooter cunt, the other was just bad pavement.
In both cases my collarbone took most of the shock but I sure was happy to have my helmet.
>>
>>1009516
Strongly disagree. Of the two big crashes I had only one was because of a pizza hut scooter cunt, the other was just bad pavement.
In both cases my collarbone took most of the shock but I sure was happy to have my helmet.
>>
>>1011302
>Anyone that doesn't support pedestrian helmets has never fallen hard enough to need one in their life.

>2016
>Not wearing a helmet everywhere you go
Have fun dying of a head trauma at any moment you reckless faggot
>>
You can faceplant off a ramp without a helmet and survive.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/manly-daily/bike-accident-at-skate-park-leaves-dad-in-intensive-care-as-wife-calls-for-people-to-wear-helmets/news-story/1b58ad616c7e99315e58959ab50eefa3
>>
>>1009509
Or learn to ride a bike fag. Never seen anyone here in Amsterdam wear one except tourists who can't ride a bike.
>>
>>1012094
>here in Amsterdam

>I live in one of the safest places for bike commuters in the entire world and so does everyone else!!!
>>
>>1012094
There are people that ride faster than 10km/h
>>
>>1012094
>ride your bike at a brisk walking/jogging pace
>ride in country with the best cycling infrastructure
>don't wear a helmet
>can't perform enough mental gymnastics to figure out why someone might want to wear a helmet
Dutch/10
>>
Why helmets don't prevent concussions -- and what might | David Camarillo (TedEx Stanford)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=druJDI6hiiY
>>
If you move fast then you need to wear a helmet.

True for bikes and cars.
>>
File: get dat drunkenigga.webm (505KB, 490x360px) Image search: [Google]
get dat drunkenigga.webm
505KB, 490x360px
>>1009509

<-- new study:
>>
>>1014679
lel. took him about two seconds to feel the pain.
Thread posts: 100
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.