[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Traveling in the third world by bicycle

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

File: 4634988936_c7bdd17d7e.jpg (177KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
4634988936_c7bdd17d7e.jpg
177KB, 500x375px
How realistic an idea is it to fly to south america or south east asia and buy a cheap used touring bike and backpack around from hostel to hostel?
Can I take a bike on the trains and buses? I am not looking to bike the whole way but want to bike around cities for sure.
I am not into doing more than 50 miles in a day or going at more than a leisurely pace.

Anyone here done anything like this?
>>
>>1008030
why do you want to buy a cheap touring bike if you're ready to pay for airplane to asia back and forth, for hotel and for train/buses between city ?

if you're not wanting to go from one city to an other by bike why not just rent a bike in one city, fool around, go to the next city by bus and then rent an other bike ?
>>
>>1008030
A very bad and heavy aluminium road bike with Shimano MTB gears is laughlinly expensive in Brazil. You would have to pay at least USD 800 for it and that's a Brazilian brand with bikes made in China.

In other words, you should bring your own bike. And you will need fat tires so that it doesn't brake with te first (dozens) of potholes.
>>
>>1008032
The reason for a cheap bike is so its no big deal if it gets stolen.
I imagine renting bikes will get expensive and be hard to find sometimes
>>
>>1008030
I paid $100 for a bike off Craigslist. I made several upgrades for $200-300, and took it to asia. The bike was very comfortable, and looked like shit, the perfect combination. I put it on trains and buses in several countries, some times there was an extra charge and sometimes it was rejected. Trains, were about the same but a slightly higher rejection rate. But in SE Asia, if you don't want to ride between two points, you don't have to as something will work out for you.
>>
File: 17464009602_146514fdec_o.jpg (3MB, 1818x1228px) Image search: [Google]
17464009602_146514fdec_o.jpg
3MB, 1818x1228px
>>1008030
If your bike is going to be your primary mode of transport, you should take your time to find something that fits and is in OK shape for long distances, and you don't want to waste your time on your trip searching for a good bike, nor do you want to be saddled with a piece of crap that doesn't work well.

Getting your bike in shape, all your gear mounted, and doing some testing ahead of time is key to a good overseas bike touring experience.

FWIW, flying bikes to Japan was super cheap.

>Can I take a bike on the trains and buses?
Depends entirely on the country, friendo. You haven't given us enough details for a meaningful answer. You should do some legwork and research of your own beforehand.

In Japan, bikes were fine on trains and busses IF AND ONLY IF the bike was partially disassembled and packed in a Rinko bag.
>>
Patagonia is one of the safest places in the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8uRA37gcTc
>>
>>1008030
This is something I've been considering for a while.

I too am worried about getting a nice bike and having it stolen, but maybe with caution that can be avoided.

Does anyone know of some guides for a bike set up for light weight credit card touring around SE Asia/China/India?

I want to leisurely explore cities and then be able to just pack up my bike and move some place else. I'm not looking to do it on a bare budget but I don't want to just throw away money either.
>>
>>1008039
Where Can i find a good trailer like that ?
>>
>>1008290
Looks like a BOB Yak Plus (or similar)
>>
File: AeroPress.jpg (56KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
AeroPress.jpg
56KB, 1200x630px
>>1008223
>I too am worried about getting a nice bike and having it stolen

This seems inevitable
>>
>>1008030
>He wants a cheap used touring bike
>He posts this picture
Sorry, did you come here just to rustle the collectable bike community? The type of /n/izens who can make a whole shipping container full of Cannondales disappear in the Sonoran desert, and ride an old Klein between the raindrops without getting wet? you don't want to fuck with us, my friend, unless you want to find yourself facedown in an unused corner of the Pyongyang Metro "whistling Dixie" out of the wrong side of your bootyhole.
>>
>>1008030
Do you have an idea of what "going to South America" means specifically? Depending what part of the world you are from and where you choose to go, biking around is not something I recommend.

You forget or don't know that parts of South America are very poor and often the lines between a good area and bad are often indistinguishable or remarkably close to one another.

Anything with panniers and luggage will look out of place, not to mention people don't do that over there.
>>
>>1008030
Yes people do that all the time, and no, they don't die or get their bikes stolen.

I don't recommend using a cheap bike. If you are scared of it being stolen, just buy a used bike and slap new parts onto it. So you have an old and trashy looking bike that is actually quite good.

Also, most airlines will transport your bike for free or for cheap. Ususally, trains an buses will transport bikes too.

>>1008223
Did you check here: https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/ ?

Maybe you'll find a journal by someone who did something similar to what you are planning. You can browse by locale.
>>
As far I know, shout america can be pretty safe if you avoid big cities, country places are nice and scum free. My sister told me a story about a guy he knows that he went to south america with just a backpack and said he had zero problems and people were nice, he even got involved with some chill drug dealers and ended driving a car to the hospital because the boss wife was pregnant and he was the only available guy.
>>
File: 24-16-02[1].jpg (2MB, 3000x2002px) Image search: [Google]
24-16-02[1].jpg
2MB, 3000x2002px
Use this
>>
>>1008474
You don't know shit about touring in S.A, there are literally hundred of guys riding their bikes over there, go read some blogs you fucking goober.

t. someone who rode Alaska-Ushuaia a few years ago.
>>
>>1008533
How did you manage to survive Méxikistan? It seems that most bike tourers meet their demise there.
>>
>>1008561
Just like everyone else. You are riding a bike, third worlders don't care about it, riding a motorbike would be way more dangerous IMO.

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/search/?main_type=journals_articles&docs=all&query=mexico
>>
>>1008516
>https://www.crazyguyonabike.com

/That 90s style website tho
>>
>>1008861
Usually the retro-looking webs are the best as they only care about content and not about fancy stuff.
>>
>>1008030
This is a completely great idea OP and you should absolutely definitely do it. I have done this with my brother in Ecuador and Mexico and he has also done it a few times in SE Asia and southern Africa.

Two good ways to do it as i see it: bring your own decent but not too nice bicycle or buy a complete piece of shit when you get there. It depends on your taste. I don't really want to ride on a shitty chinese disposable bike so when i've done it i brought my late 90s Trek mtb. This is good because you get to ride your own bike and it's a nice bike but there are several drawbacks: forget finding parts in most places; you have to worry about it getting stolen in addition to breaking; you have to get it where you're going. So if you're really wedded to riding your own bike, or, perhaps if riding a junker will significantly hinder your enjoyment of your trip, bring your own. Also, if you're really heading someplace very rural it may just be a bad idea, whereas when i was in Mexico i knew i could cobble together parts and stuff if i really had to. If you're bicycling across Namibia, not so much.

There are lots of advantages of buying a shitty local crapcycle when you arrive. It will probably be pretty cheap; you don't have to give two shits about it, and it can be fixed or just ditched if unsalvagable. my bro has some funny stories about having his shitty chinese bike fixed by a local mechanic sitting under a tree with like a rock and some sticks (not joking) when he was in, i think, Tanzania.

i wouldn't go the middle route and try to find a decent bike when you arrive to your destination. seems like the worst of both worlds.

most of all--have fun, be safe, smile at people, give in to being a moron outsider and be able to laugh at yourself, be open, be curious. bon voyage!
>>
>>1008875
The content there is an issue. Read any 20 journals and possibly one will be of sufficient quality to be somewhat interesting. The other 19 are to let mom and dad that junior is still alive.
>>
File: $_57.jpg (326KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
$_57.jpg
326KB, 1600x1200px
>>1008875
>Usually the retro-looking webs are the best

to me it just means that the info is probably out dated
>>
>>1009465
>>>
>outdated
>>
>>1009481
Get with the times grampa , these days its cooler to separate many compound words
>>
>>1008030
The trains, at least here in Argentina (and I think in Chile too), have room for bikes.

Buses are more difficult, as they tend to deny loading your bike, unless it's really secure (or in a bag that passes as luggage).

For the last point I made, there are really good bike bags in CRC you could carry.

Don't get yourself a fancy bike (i.e. super light XC, or etc) to get around cities.

Prices here in Argentina (for Argentina-built, Taiwanese-made frames) are really low compared to brands like Cannondale and Specialized, or even Merida or Orbea. If you start here, Zenith is an incredible brand for touring.
>>
>>1009703
You can take your bike on a bus in Chile, but you have to take off the wheels and they charge you extra. Plus they bang it around like crazy, the motherfuckers
>>
>>1008565
That diabetic Italian dude got rektd by a semi truck and countless cyclist have been robbed blind when passing through Mexico. I recommend you skip Mexico.
>>
>>1009830

i spent a month cycling all over Oaxaca state a few months ago; it was rad as hell, people were extremely friendly and it was incredibly safe. also it is unbelievably beautiful there. mountains, high desert, jungle, beaches. totally amazing.

mexico's a big country, just like the US. some parts are safer than others.
>>
>>1010013
Definitely. I live in west México and shit sure gets dangerous when you get near Michoacán or Guerrero. Semi-trucks are very unregulated and most drivers are high as fuck and don't give two fucks about killing you.
>>
>>1009703
Argentina sounds perfect
The exchange rate is awesome now
>>
>>1008030
Flip nig here. I don't know the situations in other countries but buying a used bike here in the Philippines is hard since we are an archipelago and travel to different islands is hard. Most of the used bikes are either BSOs and mountain bikes. There are some road bikes which are still in good condition but don't expect much. Much better if you bought an aluminum hybrid bike or rigid mountain bike. You can't take your bikes inside buses here unless you disassemble them or you are willing for your bike to be tied above the vehicle (Philippine Jeepneys). I don't know the situation for trains though but I think that it is also illegal to take your bike in a train.

Also:
https://velotour.wordpress.com/
https://biketourphilippines.wordpress.com/

I remember some guy doing it in the early 2000s but for some reason I can't find his blog but I remember reading it before.
>>
>>1010629
How much does it cost to travel by jeepney ?

Is it more than a bus or the train?
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.