[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Heritage Railway General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

File: IMAG0462_zpsfab67cbb.jpg (107KB, 1024x613px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0462_zpsfab67cbb.jpg
107KB, 1024x613px
Post heritage railways ITT.
>>
Are those check rails or is that some dual gauge shit going on there?
>>
>>1007433
Appears to be a turntable. So checkrails.
>>
>>1007466
That's what i would have thought but for them being really far apart, on the outside, extending quite far back along the approach roads and only on some of the roads and with no whatever the feeder kinks are called- plus I've just noticed a set of genuine check rails at the edge of the turntable. I reckon it might be dual gauge shenanigans.
>>
>>1007518
I was just looking again and agree. Mixed gauge. Think the telling sign are all rail heads are shiny showing use.
>>
It's the roundhouse at the Colorado Railroad Museum, which has both standard gauge and 3-foot gauge rolling stock. There are dual gauge tracks throughout, but iirc all of the locomotives that are actually used there are narrow gauge.
>>
File: Wv262.jpg (128KB, 1024x657px) Image search: [Google]
Wv262.jpg
128KB, 1024x657px
>>
My local and favourite railway. Only wish the line itself was longer.
>>
File: gallery_5613_99_77901.jpg (2MB, 1600x1071px) Image search: [Google]
gallery_5613_99_77901.jpg
2MB, 1600x1071px
My local heritage railway is the Tanfield Railway, 'the oldest railway in the world' as it is advertised - built in 1725, 100 years before the Stockton to Darlington Railway which is just down the road.
>>
>>1010049
Any info on this beast?
>>
>>1007466
You wouldn't put plates underneath checkrails.
>>
>>1011005
Every time I see that model in apple green it makes me second guess choosing LMS.

Anyway there's a line on care & maintainance down the road, I was thinking about volunteering.
>>
>>1011877
LNER>LMS

What line senpai?
>>
>>1012198
North Wales, taking inspiration from Conway.
>>
>>1012198
Oh, oops, Derwent Valley, Tasmania
>>
>>1010049
>>1011801
It's on the Cass Scenic Railway in West Virginia. iirc, it's the last and largest Shay (geared) locomotive ever built.

Side note: I'll bet that loco was never that clean when it was in revenue service, even when it was brand new.
>>
>>1011011
I think it started as a horse-drawn industrial railway that used wooden rails.
>>
>>
>>1013722
Had a read about them. Clever design and best part of 3000 built. Assume their maintenance costs and complexity overcame the adhesion benefits. Thanks for the info though. Something new for me.
>>
File: puffing-billy-2879-1.jpg (90KB, 800x527px) Image search: [Google]
puffing-billy-2879-1.jpg
90KB, 800x527px
>>1007330

*obligatory photo of Puffing Billy crossing the Monbulk Creek trestle bridge that everyone fucking takes*

Part of me wishes it ran to Belgrave at like 6am because I'd almost be able to use it on a commute.
>>
>>1016340
That's basically the best heritage rail operation in Australia, excluding the Queensland Rail Heritage Fleet.
>>
>>1016340
What gauge is that?
>>
anyone here have interior shots of stations?

my dad just gave me an old clock from the mid 1800s that was supposedly hanging in some old train station, i'm looking for a picture of something similar
>>
>>1019022
30-inch (762 mm).
>>
>>1019803
Neat, don't see that much in America, 36" is standard for narrow gauge here.
>>
>>1007330
That rail truck is awesome.
>>1019764
No but I'll bump for you.
>>
>>1023470
Yep, that's correct. I made significant edits to Wikipedia articles on the subject years ago, and the number of 3 ft gauge railroads in the US dwarfed all other narrow gauges. There are a small handful of amusement parks and zoos that use the 30-inch gauge, and at least one historic line in the US exists in Kauai with that gauge.
>>
>>1026147
Not that anon but neat. And good job adding to the knowledge of internet foamers everywhere.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.