[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How many of you guys bike but DON'T take it really seriously?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 179
Thread images: 25

File: cordova12[1].jpg (357KB, 660x400px) Image search: [Google]
cordova12[1].jpg
357KB, 660x400px
How many of you guys bike but DON'T take it really seriously?

Like, those of you who commute or ride on the weekends but don't have the lycra biking clothes or the clip-on shoes and pedals, don't stand up like a faggot to pump up hills, don't know a ton about bike repair, using apps to track your progress, etc.

My bros who bike in a t shirt and shorts, wear a backpack, wear sneakers and shit like that all welcome
>>
Personally I only cycle for leisure and commuting purposes.

I like /n/ but occasionally I'd like it to be more, say, "down-to-earth", for the lack of a better word. Sometimes /n/ is too much of a tryhard instead of a regular guy with his baiku.

>backpack
I use panniers for grocery shopping these days. Never looked back. Backpacks are okay in winter but my God all that sweat on your back in summer is insufferable.
>>
>>1006426
>don't stand up like a faggot to pump up hills

I used to stand up until I notice I got a better performance sitting riding up hills.
>>
>>1006426
>My bros who bike in a t shirt and shorts, wear a backpack, wear sneakers and shit like that all welcome

That's me. I just like biking, even today wearing jeans. Thing is you can still bike distance without looking like a complete lycra wannabe pro. I did 30 miles the other day wearing cargo shorts.
>>
>>1006438
standing up while biking seems really weird to me. I watch people do it and it doesn't seem like they have great control, they waver around a bit. and i frequently pass them while sitting

And obviously you will get better performance while sitting down. When you're sitting, you are bringing your thighs higher up meaning you are putting more quad power when pushing down on the pedal but you go slower. Idiots stand up to push up a hill because they do quick but weaker movements

>>1006441
I can never bike in jeans. Legs get so sweaty
>>
>>1006442
If I bike in jeans it'll just be around town maybe like 5 miles, nothing crazy.

As far as anything else I'll wear cargo shorts, dress pant shorts, cotton shorts, anything really.
>>
I bike around 12 miles a day for my commute in pants for my job.

I'm probably going to move up from a standard hybrid to road bike at some point but I really want to go the MTB route with bigger tires and traction on the roads with all the congestion and debris around.

Really a tossup at this point
>>
>>1006442
>And obviously you will get better performance while sitting down.
kek
>>
File: 1254095368244.jpg (898KB, 900x3834px) Image search: [Google]
1254095368244.jpg
898KB, 900x3834px
>casual pride

NO. I tolerated blacks, women, gays and transvestites bu I will not stand for this.
>>
>>1006426
Sitting while pedaling uphill is super awkward cause you can't use your body weight and your arms to pull up and sway the bike to assist in pedaling.
>>
Sometimes I take one of my bikes into the city and just cruise around and take in the sights and sounds.
I've set up a page on my garmin that just shows time and distance with no speed or heart rate or anything like that which may distract me from the pleasure of just riding.

Good times.
>>
>>1006492
Sorry not everyone is a lycra wannabe pro faggot. You guys are embarrassing real cyclists with your over the top cheesy getups to ride a bike when you will never compete in anything that matters and never go pro.

And local competitions of like minded ultra lycra fags like yourselves don't count for mattering.
>>
>>1006496
>REAL cyclist
Oh boy here we go again. Wanna know the definition of real cyclist. It's someone who rides a bike. Doesn't matter what type or what they're wearing. If they're riding a bike they're a cyclist. The Lycra clad Fred on a new Madone is just as much a real cyclist as someone on a beach cruiser in gym shorts and a t shirt.

Do national championships matter? I'm pretty sure they do. At least in other sports they seem to matter quite a bit.
>>
>>1006500
>someone on a beach cruiser in gym shorts and a t shirt.
Why are cycling casuals literally filthy?
>>
>>1006426
Somewhere in between.
I mostly commute and bike on trails on the weekends but I do own clothes for biking (jerseys, ect) and I have decided to try a 315 mile trip from grand rapids, MI to the U.P.
Never done anything like that before so I guess I'm transitioning from casual.
I'm shit at fixing anything and I don't get your comment about standing to power up hills, I've done that since I was a kid, it just makes steep hills easier if you don't have momentum, what's faggy about that? Nothing wrong with not being a full blown, spandex clad, shaved leg bike douche
>>
>>1006496
how fucking insecure are you jesus christ
fuck off to tumblr or something I don't know
>>
File: kross.jpg (181KB, 720x936px) Image search: [Google]
kross.jpg
181KB, 720x936px
dear dirty casuals and commuters.
How do you transport a bagpack?
Wearing it makes my back wet and makes me paranoid that I will be stinking whole day at uni.

Are racks or baskets the only solution? maybe you have an idea how to attach picrel backpack to bike frame or to the handlebar.
>>
File: 1473932908195-911966653.jpg (3MB, 4128x3096px) Image search: [Google]
1473932908195-911966653.jpg
3MB, 4128x3096px
>>1006513
try this
>>
>>1006515
looks pleb as fuck. loosing balace when pendulum starts. and all stripes will interfere with wheel
any other ideas?
>>
>>1006456
get a cx baiku
>>
>>1006516
Its pretty easy to keep balance and it beats having a big sweat stain on your back.

But if you want a proper backpack holder then id say google it and youre sure to find something good.
>>
>>1006426
I don't use the clip shoes but if I buy a road bike I would definitely go for it. There's a reason to use them, the same goes to lycra clothing.
>>
>>1006441
>I did 30 miles

Ok, now what about 50 or 80 miles? Try it in cargo pants and then in lycra shorts and at the end of the day make a honest result what was comfiest
>>
File: 20160914_090051.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160914_090051.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
Just built up a Traitor Crusade for winter commuting. Use a Mission Workshop Shed to carry stuff. I have straps and not clips because fuck buying different shoes for riding. 7 miles to work erryday.
>>
>>1006538
I'm pretty content with 30 miles. To put it into perspective before you start spouting bullshit, it's like going to the gym and lifting weights. You can reach a certain level, be happy with it and maintain your body or you can go further and become a bodybuilder.

I have no interest in becoming skeletor on a bike.
>>
File: 1468475992214.png (120KB, 500x654px) Image search: [Google]
1468475992214.png
120KB, 500x654px
"yeah i man dude lmao xd fuck efficiency lol nah mean bro xd only losers want to make their bike ride more comfortable and faster while reducing the risk of injury xD baka u gotta be a virgin to want proper knee placement and something to protect ur skull breh XD"

I hop off my carbon road bike, undo my helmet chinstrap, undo the Boa's on my road bike shoes and I make sweet love to your mother with my bib shorts around my ankles, you antiquated mongrel.
>>
File: 1456398210409.png (213KB, 540x246px) Image search: [Google]
1456398210409.png
213KB, 540x246px
Bike purely as a mean of transporting my ass and my clobber from point A to point B.

I like making my bike better. I like maintaining the bike to serve me well for years.
I wholeheartedly enjoy bikes because they're purely mechanical devices and unlike any other commercially available machine they're designed to be serviceable by it's user.

But no, I don't wear spandex, I don't use clip pedals, I don't have drop handlebars and there's no half-meter saddle-to-handlebar drop on my bike.
I don't race, I try to be as oblivious to biker culture as I can. I don't even have a speedometer.

One day I will save up for a brooks saddle and matching leather wraps for my bullhorn bars.
>>
>>1006543
>mom
oh shit
>gf
and thats how i knew that image was wrong
>>
>>1006426
>My bros who bike in a t shirt and shorts, wear a backpack, wear sneakers and shit like that all welcome
I do this
>have the lycra biking clothes or the clip-on shoes and pedals
>stand up like a faggot to pump up hills
>know a ton about bike repair
>using apps to track your progress
I do this too
>>
>>1006496
>And local competitions of like minded ultra lycra fags like yourselves don't count for mattering.
So in other words you once thought that this 'bike racing' thing was easy, anyone could do it, what's the big deal, and signed up for a Cat-5 road race (or even better, a Cat-5 crit) and got dropped almost immediately? Got all embarassed and butthurt about it and went around ranting that everyone is "obviously" on PEDs and steroids and amphetamines and there's no way a "real cyclist like you" could possibly compete with "all the cheaters"? LOL you guys are a dime a dozen.
>if you're not ever going to go pro then you're wasting your time
..is literally one of the DUMBEST arguments anyone can make, a total logical fallacy. If that was the "smart" way of thinking then there wouldn't BE any competitive sports of any kind, because there wouldn't BE enough people involved in them for there to be any money in it for anyone. Amateur levels of any sport exist for people interested in them to build their skills and experience and athleticism, and the cream-of-the-crop rises to the top of the amateur leagues and MAYBE goes pro, if that's where they want to go with it. But filthy casuals, too concerned with what your "peers" think, too insecure to actually do anything that might distinguish you from the rest of the herd-animals, can't allow anyone to *try* to do better than you can, because it just reminds you all too painfully of the self-imposed, senseless limitations you place on yourself and your bland little life. Enjoy being mediocre and everything because you won't even try -- because that's what your life will be with that attitude, bland and mediocre. Be sure to also enjoy being secretly jealous of people that actually are willing to go to the effort.
>>
>>1006508
>how fucking insecure are you jesus christ
Friend, this ENTIRE THREAD is FULL of guys who are too afraid of what the rest of the herd thinks, to ever even CONSIDER trying anything other than what their neighbors do. They're content to live bland, mediocre, grey little lives, never taking any real chances, for fear of their so-called 'peers' disapproving of them; oh no, can't have that! What will the other guys think of me? I'll lose Social Standing! I'll lose my place in the (totally artificial, pointless, meaningless) social hierarchy!

Most people are pretty damned dumb.
>>
>>1006538

Why stop at 80? Why stop today? Can't you ride 24/7, Freddy?
>>
>>1006426

I'm in a weird spot where my main interest in cycling is the technical details of bike parts. Not even new ones, old ones.

I love thinking about outdated tech (some of which is better than modern stuff re:durability, style, etc). And I love thinking about building bikes, but when it comes to actually putting them together I get incredibly pissed off and bored at the same time, then inevitably never satisfied with the result

I also value frugality / ugly punk touring bike set ups. I resent both fap wagon and modern hipster Radavist stuff

But when it comes to riding, I only want to bump around town on short rides, or do 100+ mile rides as far as I can go.

I end up riding less than almost anybody who posts here, doing three or four long rides a year. But learning about bikes every day

I don't want to be an mechanic, or have an expensive bike. I just want to ride really far.

I don't want to wear lycra or go very fast, but I want to have an efficient, aerodynamic bike for my long rides. And no carbon.

It's an escape fantasy and a weird hobby. The pathetic part is the average 2+ year mechanic at a low-tier bike shop probably knows more than me, so my knowledge isn't even special.

I dream about a multi-year bike wander when my kids leave the house. That is two decades away.

All escape fantasy and obsessive knowledge hoarding.

I'm currently giving it all up. Clearing out every part from my basement and settling down with a single, ugly, low-quality touring frame that has been tweaked to hell. I have wasted thousands of dollars on crappy old bikes, obscure eBay parts, and piles of things I decided were not right. I have built dozens of bikes and stripped them all to pieces on a whim.

I wonder if my childhood lego obsession has mixed with wageslave escapist fantasies and then translated into a dysfunctional adult hobby
>>
>>1006442
>commuter logic

that's not why you shouldn't be standing up on climbs, at all.
>>
A bike is a relic from a better parallel reality, where life isn't terrible.

Lycra cyclists are great when they do it for personal reasons. Feels of achievements. When they consider you a "non cyclist" and a pussy for not riding like them, they suddenly become the world population in cycling. It is unfortunately too common.

The second group, equally bad, are the snobby bike mechanics and internet-addicted bike obsessives. Their lives are based on criticism and feelings of superiority. Their greatest joy is showing off a bike that is cool in some obscure sense, one that appeals to a specific, obscure, sub-culture of cycling fetishism. These guys generally have beards, glasses, and drink a moderate amount of beer, which somehow is masculine in their culture.

Honestly I think I like the second group the least. Self hate is involved there.

Touring cyclists who do not give a shit are top-tier. Usually the most down-to-earth people in the bike world. Followed by commuters who don't give a shit what they are riding as long as it works well and has sweet fenders
>>
>>1006600
>>I don't want to wear lycra or go very fast, but I want to have an efficient, aerodynamic bike for my long rides

Aside from actual position on the bike clothes are by far one of the biggest influencers on aerodynamics so I don't know how you can divorce this. Better get that tight merino.
>>
I commute, but with lycra and clipless. I'm not ruining my normal clothes riding 30 miles a day in rain and slush, so why bother trying to pretend I'm not on a bike

Toe cages are too cumbersome and no foot retention = smashed balls when you hit a bump
>>
>>1006584
I'm not reading all of that and no; I have never signed up for any gay lycra race.

>>1006587
I have no idea what you're talking about but if you consider signing up for a race as taking a chance in life and an escape from the grey mediocre life then I genuinely feel sorry for you. Your life is exceptionally bland for that to be an escape from reality or some kind of metric by which you consider going above the "norm".

>>1006593
I know right, apparently it's a hard concept to grasp to enjoy something but not be obsessed about it.

>>1006600
Dude wtf

>>1006604
I think there is a fourth group who aren't hipsters who just like riding their bike for transportation, excercise and casual riding. Not having a super special hipster bike and not being stupid about it. It's like normal people in Amsterdam who have bikes and ride them around everywhere without being a hardcore cyclist or mechanic or anything else. Just google Amsterdam bike riding and you'll see what I mean.
>>
File: PAY-Laura-Trott-main.jpg (56KB, 615x409px) Image search: [Google]
PAY-Laura-Trott-main.jpg
56KB, 615x409px
>mfw a casual makes a thread near me
>>
>>1006616
The only exception to lycra are females. But if you're a dude wearing spandex on a bike... Kys
>>
File: 1332776938938.jpg (47KB, 639x666px) Image search: [Google]
1332776938938.jpg
47KB, 639x666px
>>1006620
Ah yes, the closeted puritan.
Does it feel good to know your "God" hates you for what you are?
>>
>>1006624
Guys wearing lycra should be burned at a stake and their families sent to work camps.
>>
>>1006632
go back to /pol/ you miserable cuckservative cunt
>>
>>1006635
/pol/ doesn't care about petty shit like that, he's probably an insecure jelly fatso

>it's 30 degrees outside, my t-shirt feels like a wet rag on my back, my cargo shorts must have chafed through my skin by now and I feel like sitting in a puddle, I've got blisters on my naked hands and my nipples are bleeding, but at least I'm not a spandex wearing homo tryhard, haha
>>
I mostly just bike to work and around town. My bike rides are usually around 10 minutes or less because I live in a small town. I plan on touring next summer though, so I'll be going on longer rides to train here soon.
>>
>yet ANOTHER thread where americans try to justify how they're incredibly self conscious and afraid of utilising proper biking equipment and clothes

So, one a day now is it? Wew
>>
File: 1466356876974s.jpg (11KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1466356876974s.jpg
11KB, 250x250px
I used to say the same shit.
>HURR lycra is for fags HURR
One day tho, i got a shop kit on discount and i liked it so much i just bought my 4th (and probably final for a while) kit.
Truth is it feels great when your clothing wicks away the sweat and breathes. One day hopefully youll know the same feeling and cease to be such a jealous cunt.
>>
I just wanted you to know guys, I play basketball and football in jeans, flipflops and a cardigan, im not some wannabe pro who uses sneakers or shorts, bunch of dweebs amirite. Brb, gotta take care of the blisters and heat stroke.
>>
I bike because it's comfy and I hate cars. No interest in lycra or speedfagging. I get tired after 25 miles, I don't want to go 50 or 100 or whatever just to jack off about it. I bike around the city mainly, in normal clothing, with a backpack. I just wear fucking sneakers.

It's a means of commute, and the toppest of means. But no need to be an elitist faggot who does 50 miles every morning with a padded ass-guard.

>>1006513

I just use a backpack. Bring a change of shirt if you can't bike without breaking a sweat. I go comfy speeds so I don't sweat. Hell going full warp speed around a city is dangerous if anything.

>>1006600
>And no carbon.

So you don't like easily carrying your baikfu up stairs? My building doesn't have an elevator. I am thankful as fuck for carbon.
>>
File: selfbikewreck.jpg (43KB, 399x554px) Image search: [Google]
selfbikewreck.jpg
43KB, 399x554px
>>1006515
>try suicide
personally I prefer ways that kill you less painfully...
>>
>>1006513
Get a rack. Put the backpack in a plastic bag. This protects it from rain, and keeps the stripes from flapping around and possibly go in your wheel. Use a strap to fix it to your rack.
Or get panniers that can be carried.
>>
>>1006513
>buy backpack with internal frame
>no sweaty back
>???
>"lel what are you, a homosexual, just have a sweaty back, what do you want to be, a tryhard pro?"
>>
>>1006732
>>buy backpack with internal frame
>>no sweaty back
That's a lie. My back still sweats, but it cools down when there's an airflow from going fast.
>>
>>1006732
I have one already but it looks too outdoor and sporty. I use it on trips but I prefer something more casual to go to snob university
>>
>>1006593
Nah, the maximum I did was 110 km. However I usually do around 60 km when I go for a ride. I wouldn't do that in cargo pants, would be too uncomfy. Sometimes when I go for a shorter ride with friends of mine I don't use lycra shorts of course, I would say the limit for me in normal shorts/lycra is about 30 km.

>>1006613
>I know right, apparently it's a hard concept to grasp to enjoy something but not be obsessed about it.

"Hey guys look I prefer something less comfortable when riding my bike, because I am too insecure to use a clothing that was made up exactly for this sport."
"Also guys look I prefer going only laughable distances. You all that do more than 30 miles are massive hard-tryers"
Ok, ok, do what you think. But why do brag about your idiocy on /n/? I don't get it.
>>
>>1006758

>sport

There you go again. You need to really let go.
>>
>>1006768
>biking is not a sport at all, it's totally just a regular mean of transportation comparable with a car or a train

fat /n/tards actually believe this
>>
what am i?
cargo shorts, regular shirts, beat up sneakers taped with duct tape. 99' mtb with slicks, regular pedals. i train; doing something like 3 short 60km aprox rides during the week (half of it climbing). doing intervals and tempo riding, etc. weekends a 3-4 hour endurance ride, 100km aprox. (also commuting and short stuff, no car). care about sleep and stuff. i use a freggin bmx helmet. oh yes im learning bmx also. and working on my bunny hop on the mtb cause frame is a little to big for me so its harder. i am training to get faster and to ride longer. always competing with myself, dont care about races. but when i go to places where other people train here i usually leave alll except a very few behind. also no smartphone or cyclocomputer.
>>
>>1006778
A very special kind of a man who likes to torture himself.
>>
I bike on weekends for fun with my family. I just started recently since my parents have gotten into it this year and are training for a century ride (just for the sake of doing it as my parents are getting older and my mom can't run marathons anymore). I don't go far, only like 30km, or fast, and I wear normal gym clothes and sneakers.

The funny thing is that I started browsing /n/ a couple of weeks ago and saw a pic of myself posted in one of the threads here, but the pic is from 3 years ago, before I even started biking.

I am a little interested in how it will impact my lifting though. My lifts are more than good enough locally, so I was thinking about competing.
>>
>>1006776

>anon is at the family and friend BBQ
>some of the kids and a couple drunk adults start kicking a ball
>no one is wearing cleats or even taking this seriously

REEEEEEEEE
>>
>>1006758
>"Hey guys look I prefer something less comfortable when riding my bike, because I am too insecure to use a clothing that was made up exactly for this sport."
>sport

>Ok, ok, do what you think. But why do brag about your idiocy on /n/? I don't get it.
>idiocy
You don't get it because you are a moron. I stated my personal preferences and why it doesn't require me to wear lycra. Again, not everyone needs or wants to wear lycra to ride a bike, especially in my bike riding style it would be moronic like yourself.

Did you bother googling "Amsterdam bike riding"? Do you realize that you don't have to wear lycra every time you get on a bike? You're a fucking retad and an embarrassment for everyone who rides a bike. Everyone you know probably thinks you're a gay tryharding faggot who sucks dick.

Freds are the worst.
>>
>>1006518
Do you or anyone else have any opinion on the Fuel EX 8?

Really good looking bike imo
>>
>>1006496
are you too self conscious to wear spandex or something?

It feels fuckin good riding in a bib. It's not about anything but comfort
>>
File: jncobus.png (730KB, 900x616px) Image search: [Google]
jncobus.png
730KB, 900x616px
>>1006797
>family and friend BBQ at the beach
>everyone is wearing their swim clothes
>"GOD WHY ARE YOU TRYHARDS WEARING BATHING SUITS I SWIM IN MY JNCO JEANS AND MY WALLET CHAIN BECAUSE I'M NOT A TRYHARD WANNABE OLYMPIAN IM JUST SWIMMING FOR FUN YOU CAN WEAR DOC MARTENS IF YOU'RE JUST CASUALLY SWIMMING YOU DON'T HAVE TO GO BAREFOOT AND PRETEND TO BE LIKE THE PROFESSIONALS WHICH NONE OF YOU GUYS ARE"
>>
>>1006804

HA! Jokes on you. When I am not working I primarily wear baggies. To cycle, to lunch, on the couch, DIY, working in the yard, meeting prince Phillip, oh and for swimming.

>tfw all that salt water dripping down your frame.
>>
>>1006808

Baggies are surfer shorts btw.
>>
i bike to and from my factory job in spandex, i give no fucks
>>
Bikes are my mode of transportation and my mode of exercise.
I go everywhere by bike, but my town isn't terribly big, so i don't really ride what /n/ would call any significant distance.
And you know how it often tends to be with exercise.
>>
File: 15449625971_931013725d_b.jpg (335KB, 685x1024px) Image search: [Google]
15449625971_931013725d_b.jpg
335KB, 685x1024px
>>1006804
>>family and friend BBQ at the beach
>>everyone is wearing their bathing suits
>>"GOD WHY ARE YOU CASUALS WEARING BATHING SUITS I SWIM IN MY SPEEDO BODYSUIT XXV WITH SPEED RIBBING AND MY ULTRA SPEED HEADCAP WITH PATENTED RUBBER AERO SLITS BECAUSE I'M NOT A CASUAL IM SWIMMING FOR SPEED TO SHAVE OFF ALL THE TIME EXCESS YOU CAN WEAR NORMAL BATHING SHORTS OR BIKINIA IF YOU'RE JUST CASUALLY SWIMMING YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE A PROFESSIONAL LIKE ME OR PRETEND TO BE LIKE THE PROFESSIONALS WHICH NONE OF YOU GUYS ARE EXCEPT ME"
>>
>>1006784
if i use proper lycras and clip on shoes. will the change be so much? im obviusly planning on changing my helmet but it doesnt bother me so much as i shave my head. with hair it would truly suck. the bike for me is ok, as i train a lot in the city between cars and shit streets. i feel more comfortable on a mtb than road bike
>>
>>1006819
That would make sense if casuals wore casual jerseys and cycling shorts while you wore bibs and a Sky team jersey, or something.
>>
File: FF-600x328.jpg (69KB, 600x328px) Image search: [Google]
FF-600x328.jpg
69KB, 600x328px
>>1006827
YOU DON'T FUCKING GET IT YOU FILTHY CASUAL.

You can't possibly get to that next level without taking the SPORT seriously and giving it the proper attention and dedication. YOU'LL ALWAYS BE A FILTHY CASUAL.

Take the plunge, get a bib, maybe lycra shorts to start with padding and a carbon frame bike and aero helmet. You'll notice a 100% change in your ride. What are you not MANNN ENOUGH to wear some skintight spandex in the city? Fucking grow up kid, put up or shut up.
>>
>>1006828
Your sense of reality is warped.
>>
>>1006834
No, I believe it is your sense of reality what is warped
>>
>>1006844
Are you a eurocuck or amerifag?

I'm leaning to amerifag who has never been outside of the country. There are places, cities that have a biking culture that's part of everyday life for everyone and they don't have/share these retarded ideas of yours.

You have a warped sense of reality, retard.
>>
>>1006848
Neither, but please insult me some more to strengthen your argument
>>
>>1006426
>>1006537
>>1006550
>>1006565
>>1006827

>2016
>still haven't mastered the distinction between clips and clipless pedals

ofc this is the casuals thread
>>
>>1006500
>real Scotsman
>>
>>1006641
>30 degrees
>hot

Holy christ, lose some wieght you fat fuck
>>
>>1006849
Haha ok Achmed or is it Ching Chongqing?
>>
>>1006426
I don't have special clothes but I've been fucking around to make a shit junker this summer. The frame is a Fiori Modena, it has some shitty cruiser handles as I use it for commuting with my heavy ass backpack, and it has some generic Wal-mart wheels. I still can't do shit with cables so my shoes have been taking a beating. I'd say my biking is above average but below a serious hobby.
>>
>>1006513
If you're willing to take the time to set up cruiser handles you don't lean forward as much and depending on the frame (assuming pic is yours, might not have room) you could have it off your back a bit. if you want it completely off, I'd say a back rack and bungee cord could work, or a crate.
>>
>>1006854

30 degrees and 100% humidity and you drip sweat just thinking too hard. Even at 165 at 5'11"
>>
>>1006613
>Your life is exceptionally bland for that to be an escape from reality
LOL, you filthy casual bicycle road racing *IS* my "reality", it's not some Fantasy Bike Racing Camp or somesuch shit, I train all year 'round and race for 6 months out of the year. My day job is just to pay the bills. Just admit that you're butthurt because some fast roadies dropped you like a bad habit, telling the truth will make you feel better.
>>
>>1006675
Know what happened there? You grew up and discovered that there's no point whatsoever in being a 'herd animal', totally subject to what everyone else thinks, and you profited thereby. Good on you. Sad, though, that some of the guys in this thread literally will never grow up enough emotionally to be able to break from the herd and do what makes sense, instead of being at the whim of what the herd wants.
>>
the comfort increase that comes from proper cycling attire is not something i'll ever give because fat pickup drivers get shamefully turned on by it.
>>
Strava says I average around 12mph.
I have a nice bike but don't put any effort into getting gud, anymore than biking a lot makes biking easier.

I do it to unwind and explore, not that I don't like bettering myself, but it's always to the backseat of dicking around. I just wanna dick around.
Imagine what biking was like when you were 12 years old and you've pretty much got it.

Nothing against the oft demonized 'lycrya-wearing', cycling-as-sport people. They're just doing something else.
>>
>>1006871
Do you ever listen to yourself talk?

>herd animal
>breaking free
>subject to what everyone else thinks

Did it ever occur to you that someone just doesn't want to wear lycra or spandex? It's like a runner that doesn't want to wear spandex, leggings, or lycra. It's possible they just don't care about all these gay little things you're obssessed about.
>>
>>1006854
Celcius im guessing
>>1006864
he thinks its winter where you at.
>>
>>1006877
>gay little things you're obssessed about
LOL stop pretending to be someone else, OP.
>gay little things
That says it all right there: YOU'RE SCARED of what other people think.

These 'gay little things', as you so immaturely put it, were developed to make cycling more efficient, more comfortable, and it even makes it safer, especially when it's hot out. But no, you're more concerned with what other people think; you get that "where's mommy?" anxiety in your gut when you think that someone might think you're a homosexual, and you'll do ANYTHING to prevent someone from thinking that. You might even be a latent homosexual, or flat-out in denial about your own sexuality. Are you living a lie, OP? Do you secretly want men, but refuse to even admit it to yourself? Does cycling kit made from lycra remind you too much, somehow, of womens' clothing, and you don't want to run the risk of getting in touch with your 'feminine side', for fear of your dirty, dirty little secret spilling out of you? Are you afraid you'll LIKE wearing it? I think it's more likely than anyone else suspects. But that's OK OP, you go right on living in denial if that's what's going on, you'll come out when you're ready, I'm sure.
>>
>>1006426
>I'm fat and weak and slow and I hate those fast guys
>I should be respected even though I'm fat, weak, and slow! I DEMAND TO BE RESPECTED!
>CHECK YOUR PRIVILEGE, ROADIES!
>I'm SO triggered right now!
LOL, fag
>>
>>1006886
>calling something gay means you're scared of it

Be more concise with your ideas, I'm not reading all of that garbage and no, I am not the Op.

Whether you like it or not, not every occasion calls for cycling gear. Even occasions that may call for cycling gear won't need it. Go to Amsterdam where people cycle everywhere and tell me how many of them have Lycra and other stupid shit on. Keep in mind many of these people will cycle 20-30 miles every day.

Oh and you're still a faggot.
>>
>>1006887
I'm fat weak and slow, and don't know the meaning of the word respect.
>>
>>1006804
That guy kinda looks like Michel Phelps.

Huh.
>>
>>1006426
Only autistic faggots take this shit seriously. For normies bikes are just toys or at best a way to travel short distances in ideal conditions.
>>
im this dude
>>1006778
and just as a side note: i got into biking just 2 years ago, ive been getting more and more involved in it. i just finished reading friel's bible for the first time and im considering buying a pulsemeter so i can do a more serious training.

beeing 100% serious i ask you guys this:
>>1006827

yes i may be calling the wrong way to the pedals. please consider english is not my main language.. but for real, i ve never used lycras nor any feet retention mechanism. will my ride really improve with those? ive got used to pedaling as i am.. and i put a lot of effort into it. any pointers would be cool. again im not planning on racing but i do want to go fast and far as if i would be racing..its all against me and i like topush myself and beat my times, etc. thanks.
>>
>>1006896
'Normies' are also obese, weak, diabetic, and end up with heart disease. I'll take the bike instead, thanks anyway.
>>
>>1006426
I ride to work nearly every day, regardless of whether (it's been a wet few weeks too) because my motorbike is out of action. I enjoy riding my push bike for mostly the same reasons as I like motorbikes.

Sometimes I'll ride for fun, and I'm nearly always trying to push myself even if it's only dropping 1minute from my 7 minute commute.

I'd like to get serious about cycling. I love watching the grand tours and even a few youtube cycling shows. But I'm just too knackered after work and then the gym to put in the time to get myself to a level where I could realistically complete a cat5 race within an acceptable time frame.

Although, if this recent stint at sobriety works out, maybe weekend training could get me to that stage.
>>
>>1006797
>Playing a footie with friends and kids on their BBQ
>Make a thread about it on /sp/ and complain how all the professional or amateur players are tryharders
>>
>>1006798
> Do you realize that you don't have to wear lycra every time you get on a bike?

Yes, I said it exactly in the first paragraph
>>
>>1006848
And you're an amerifag that read once about place called Europe and now you feel as the smartest kid in the school. Am i right?
>>
>>1006956
I've been to Amsterdam. But you can always google it if you can't go.
>>
I only have one bike, a hybrid that I use only during the season and good weather for commuting, running errands and weekend joyrides on dedicated bike trails.

COME AT ME
>>
>>1006959
>Amsterdam

That's pretty much all of europe, if you stayed for at least 5 days, you could easily become a europe wide guide from experience alone
>>
>>1006965
That's the place I mentioned as it was the most relevant for the point I made earlier.

Don't be daft, of course I was in other countries.
>>
>>1006959
Ever wanted to visit North Korea? They use bicycles a lot I've heard and no lycra at all. Truly a paradise on Earth.
>>
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

C A S U A L
A
S
U
A
K
>>
>>1006960
I was just like you 2 years ago, but now own 3 bicycles worth about 5500€ put together.

I have probably put around 10k on bicycle related stuff in these 2 years.
>>
>>1006426

> My bros who bike in a t shirt and shorts, wear a backpack, wear sneakers and shit like that all welcome

That's literally me. I actually just found out about this board. I feel the same way.

Another thing that sucks is that this is probably the slowest board ever.
>>
>needing special ultra bike pants for 200 bucks a pair in order to get comfy on your bike

Frankly, your saddle is probably just shit.
>>
>>1007167

frankly, your opinion is probably shit.
>>
>>1006968
>Ever wanted to visit North Korea? They use bicycles a lot I've heard and no lycra at all. Truly a paradise on Earth.

Women aren't even allowed to ride bicycle in NK.
>>
>>1007170

makes sense. bicycles were pivotal in nineteenth-century feminism, so better stamp that shit out before they reach tumblr level.
>>
>>1007161
We average 25mph over 8 hours, git gud son.
>>
>>1007167
>get comfy

That's easy. How long do you stay comfy?
>>
>>1007187
For as long as the ride goes.
>>
>>1007193
And how long is that?
>>
>>1007194
My daily ride is about 15 miles but I've also done bike trips of over 2000 miles in jeans and cargo pants.
>>
I do century rides in cut off shorts or khakis and it's totally fine. Selle anatomica saddle makes it all ok
>>
>>1007204
No one is saying that it can't be done, only that it is objectively more comfy in performance clothing.

As for why you don't want to wear them, any reason is fine, but excuse me if I don't believe those anon's saying it's not an insecurity thing, when I live in a country full of over-heating men too afraid to wear shorts at the knee, least they be seen as a homosexual.
>>
>>1007211
>objectively

Big words there body.
>>
>>1007214
>body

buddy.

kek.
>>
>>1007214
Aside from that little voice inside yourself that says 'Hmmm, I feel weird' what is less comfortable? The more breathable fabric? Or is the lack of uncomfortable seams? Is it perhaps the pockets that are annoying, or the lack of cotton?
I don't even wear lycra, but I"m not retarded.
>>
>>1006732

External frames are better for that. Pretty much the only reason people other than hunters still use em.
>>
>>1007217
It makes me look like a flamboyanty homosexual tryhard. Naturally I'd feel uncomfortable.

All memes aside, I actually used to own a pair of decent cycling pants. Probably even still have them somewhere in my room.
In any case that lycra shit just doesnt feel good very good. Too thight on the skin and overall that spandex shit feels so, Idk, synthetic? Like a second skin on your skin. Way less natural than cotton.
Also I'd argue that baggy cargo pants are way more breathable than any bike pants could ever hope to be.
>>
>>1007222
There's breathable, and then there's wicking.
>>
>>1007222
Holy fuck I can't imagine:

a) being this ignorant
b) being this homophobic
c) caring this much about what others might think

My recommendation is that you kill yourself, immediately.
>>
>>1007249
>My recommendation is that you kill yourself, immediately.

?
Why would I do that? I generally enjoy living.
>>
>>1007257
So do the rest of us. You lessen the experience. The reason for post term abortion would be common courtesy.
>>
Why is it better to stand up while climbing hills? I thought it was less efficient and more stressful on the bike.
>>
File: aim_for_the_bounce.jpg (195KB, 704x480px) Image search: [Google]
aim_for_the_bounce.jpg
195KB, 704x480px
>>1007287

op is a faggot. i was going to point this out the other day, but wound up doing something else.

anyway, for sustained climbs, staying on the saddle, moving your legs like pistons, and high rpm pedaling is considered the correct way to climb. when you're looking to 'jump' over small, rolling hills, getting off the saddle and using your weight and force to sustain momentum is completely okay.

the reason that leaving the saddle is bad on sustained climbs is that you do not have the leverage of the saddle to provide a counter force to your upward pedal stroke. when your butt is on the bike, your legs can use your butt's stationary position similarly to how people rowing a boat would. that DOES NOT mean that standing up on the bike during a climb is a bad thing. aside from the small, rolling hills scenario, your legs need to stretch out if you're on long climbs, so getting off the saddle for a little bit isn't a bad idea--but, staying off the saddle for the entirety of a 1500ft. climb is just stupid.

either way, op is filthy casual.
>>
>>1007185
>git gud son

Shit, I average 10.3 mph. Boi I've been gud since you had training wheels.
>>
File: Umpire Ass 02.jpg (19KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
Umpire Ass 02.jpg
19KB, 400x300px
I wear khaki shorts most of the time. It's fine for most rides even pushing 30m+.

There is one problem though...

Gooch sweat for days!
>>
>>1006584
+1
>>
>>1006870

S E T H
E
T
H
>>
>>1006426
it me baby
>>
>>1006442
standing up is just more fun :3
>>
>>1007308
>10.3mph
>gud
lol
>>
File: IMG_0045.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0045.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>1006496
hey guy, i rode 750 miles in 7 days RECREATIONALLY and guess what? I rode in fully faggy bike kit because it is more comfortable and performs better in a range of temperatures, performs better in wind &c. I wore clipless pedals, stood up at times while climbing to mix muscle recruitment &c.

Realize that it is not for tryhard poseurness, but for comfort

Oh no am i not a true good real cyclist?
>>
>>1007313
>Gooch sweat
this is the type of problem solved by literally wearing slim mtb baggies with a chamois liner, or GOD FORBID, bib shorts!
>>
>>1007437
Get a job/real life hippy faglord
>>
>>1007439
>slim baggies
How is that a thing? Surely they can either be slim or baggy... am I missing something?

I do need a pair of something to wear though.
>>
>>1007534
See poc's trail short or like, mission work shop
>>
Memeing aside.

I cycle for fitness and it's the only thing I enjoy that keeps me healthy and allows me to eat the foods I really like when ever I want.if I'm doing long rides it's nice to have clothes that are designed to make my ride more comfortable and stop me from getting sores and uncomfortable.I admit that it can look a bit goofy but at least its serving a benefit.
>>
>>1006456
>traction
>knobbies
Pick one
>>
I ride 10 miles a day going to and from work on my shitty sports department store hybrid bike. I wear one of those Nike moisture wicking t-shirts and a pair of running shorts and some running shoes. I wear a backpack that contains the clothes I change into for work. Amidoinitright?
>>
>>1007621
if you're feeling fine, then yes. people that ride longer tend to feel chafing after a while, which bibs are good at preventing. but, again, if you don't feel a need for it, then save that money (or if you must spend it, spend it on something that might actually affect your quality of life)
>>
>>1006426
I don't wear anything different while cycling. I do get mega ass sweat from riding all day wearing cargo shorts. I sometimes stand up on hills if I have to. There's nothing wrong with that. I ride a mountain bike and beach cruiser,
>>
>>1007185
Using mph as a cyclist. Filthy casual. Post discarded. KYS.
>>
I cycle every so often. I have some Lycra shorts but I wear them under my normal clothes to protect my soft supple butt.

I wouldn't mind getting a cycling jersey. Not to reduce resistance or whatever. I just think they're hot as fuck
>>
5 mile round trip daily commute in my office clothes. It's faster and more convenient than driving and that's literally the only reason I do it. It saves me about $1000/yr in parking and gas but I'd pay that much if I could park right in front of my office (like I can with a bike).

5 mile round trip to the gym on the weekend in running shorts and dri-fit. Again, I can park right outside the front door of the gym, else I would have to drive, park, and walk 2 blocks.

Occasionally I'll ride my bike down to the park but I prefer walking because it's one less chance I'll blow a tire and I don't have to worry about someone jacking my bike from the public bike rack.

Meanwhile I have coworkers that drive 3 blocks to work and park two blocks away. They drive home and then drive back to the gym even though the gym is situated two blocks from work and one block from their home.
>>
>>1006426
>Like, those of you who commute or ride on the weekends but don't have the lycra biking clothes or the clip-on shoes and pedals
I ride every day to class/work and usually more. I don't wear specialized clothing ever.

>>1006426
>don't stand up like a faggot to pump up hills
What is wrong with this? I have a single speed cruiser and it's necessary sometimes when I ride that bike. There's nothing uppity about going fast.

>>1006513
>How do you transport a bagpack?
>Wearing it makes my back wet
So what? It will evaporate. I spray body spray on my back. Take deodorant in your bag like I do.

>>1006515
I tried this with a bag full of Subway sandwiches and the tire ripped into my Italian BMT (I didn't hear with earbuds on).
>>
OK so I bought some bike shorts and oh my fucking god!

Fuck how they look, I felt like I could go way longer than I normally do. They are so much more comfortable.

I was so against them but now I get it.
>>
Honestly i never go too far on my bike mostly because my town is tiny and i dont know any of the trails to go a long way and im scared of cars on the inter city roads.
I usually just bike to and from work and weekends around town for like an hour on my shorts and a shirt with a water bottle in the holder
>>
>>1011690
Buy a dildo next
>>
im the most casual fredrick here. 3 carbon bikes and i ride them in my driveway.
>>
>>1011690
That's great. Your next discovery will be how incredibly useful backpockets on a jersey are.
>>
>>1006426
What's up. I get looked at crazy cause i do exactly what you said. I wear work boots, jeans or cargo shorts and just rude. No fucks given
>>
>>1006426
I do. I have the basic tools to maintain the bike but that is because I don't like paying for simple things and I like doing stuff. Specially tighten the little rods I forgot the name.
>>
>walk seriously
>drive seriously
>sit on the bus seriously

Anyone who "bikes seriously" is a CANCEROUS NIGGERFAGGOT who fucks it for the rest of us.
>>
File: 108224580.jpg (90KB, 338x507px) Image search: [Google]
108224580.jpg
90KB, 338x507px
>>1006426
>commute to work (night baker)
t-shirt, hoodie, cargo shorts, and comfy work shoes.

>tfw biking home in the early morning before it's light out with fresh baguettes

(I really should get something to carry stuff though since I've been stuck "balancing" any baked goods I've gotten on my handlebars.)
>>
/biz/nessman here. Commuting by bike everyday and want to upgrade. Winter id around the corner and in my country it gets pretty cold and we have a lot of snow.
How are the bicycle markets behaving? Is it best to buy one in winter when no one is looking for bikes or are there no real seasonal fluctuations?
Thank you in advance.
>>
File: bicicleteiro.jpg (67KB, 645x338px) Image search: [Google]
bicicleteiro.jpg
67KB, 645x338px
Right guys are bad ass
>>
>>1006850
Clipless is a fucking stupid name for something you "clip into" tbqh. I know the origin of the name and distinction between toeclips and clipless, but still.
>>
>>1012796

clips --> basket pedals
clipless --> clippy pedals

Master race unpretentious and unambiguous language coming through.
>>
>>1012785
Why doesn't he just wear a helmet instead of carrying a mattress on his head?
>>
>>1012854
Aerodynamics. Helmets are objectivelly worse than mattresses, only lycra fags wear helmets.
>>
I honestly dont get the obsession anti-lycra people have. Its much much much more comfortable for bicycling than normal clothing. Is it just the way it looks? Are you guys really so insecure that you would bring yourself discomfort just to not look like a "bicyclist" even though you are riding a bike?

Please explain it to me.
>>
Yeah people in third world countries can wear their own clothes and cycle comfortably. Or even countries with dedicated cycle lanes. But the backwater I live in? Fuck no.

I tried that shit for half a year.

>no cycle culture, cagers get instantly triggered that your even on the road
>cagers would get VERY agressive if the couldnt speed past you to the next red light
>sweating a lot
>realise this is more for fear of my life than any overheating desu
>that horrible feeling of needing to faster and faster as a cager stuck behind you gets more agressive

I'm done with cycling. The only people that risk cycling here are lycrafags. I don't blame them.

I'll take the bus thanks.
>>
>>1014000
I used to be like them. I started out as a bmxer then into mountain biking ect and we pretty much thought of roadies as faggots. We mocked them and what not. As I got older I realized I couldnt afford to get hurt cycling and even the little falls started to really do a number on me. I had to take it easier and easier. I picked up a CX bike and then on a whim I got a road bike for a good deal. Thats when I gave up caring, got myself some lycra and it makes a big difference. Now I just dont care what others think.
>>
Is CX the most alpha discipline?
>>
>>1014674

It was until the freds got hold of it with all their faggot rules and restrictions.
>>
>>1012762
Collections for the next year usually start popping up right about now so stores will be discounting this year's models to free up warehouses.
So yeah, fall/winter is the best time for bike shopping.
>>
>>1006641
HAHAHAHAHH
>30 degrees
can't handle the heat move up north faggot
>>
>>1007249
thinks homophobia is real and not a meme
come on, i know its easy but try not to fall for memes
>>
>>1012762
if you live near a college, look for bikes at the end of a semester when students are going back home

i got my current ride for free the weekend of graduation at the college near me
>>
Sometimes I like just cruising around and taking in the sights but lately my fitness/training rides have been getting kudos from people with ridiculously good stats. Even a pro gave me kudos a few weeks ago. But today I'm ill (have been all week) and just want to ride around slowly to get some fresh air but I feel the need to perform well and put in good hard stats now that I know that people are watching me.
Not sure how to feel about this. Fuck it. Another rest day it is!
>>
>>1015689
This is why I didn't fall for the Strava meme
Thread posts: 179
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.