[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to raise my power level from a lowly commuter. I plan

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

File: wide_open_road_cycling_about.jpg (268KB, 1000x430px) Image search: [Google]
wide_open_road_cycling_about.jpg
268KB, 1000x430px
I want to raise my power level from a lowly commuter. I plan to start cycling more kilometers every day, currently I only ride 14km 5 days a week.

How much more should I ride? Should I do a big ride on the weekend?
>>
yeah dude. i recently bought a really expensive bike and started doing as much as i can on the weekends. also you could do some HARD sprints over the weekend if you don't have time for long distances. sprint till you can't anymore then take it easy then do it again
>>
>>1003883
I'm thinking of going for a one hour ride every night and then doing a couple of hours on the weekend. Should add up to maybe 8 - 10 hours a week.
>>
>>1003884
you should be riding fast and short distance for 3 days during the week, rest for 2 days and then go for a long ride during the weekend.
>>
you should focus on hours not distance
kind of the bare minimum to start getting some fitness is 10 hours a week structured training

if I were you you, id do 2 or 3 4x4 intervals a week and one longer ride of about 4 hours on the weekends

vo2max intervals are the things that give the most improvement to fitness

so a typical interval day would be
1. ride around warming up for 30-60 minutes
2. 4 minute interval of as hard as you can go (using a steep hill that takes 4-5 minutes to get up is good for this)
3. bike around easy for 4 minutes
4. repeat 4 minute hillclimb
5. bike around easy for 8 minutes
6. do the hillclimb
7. bike easy for 4 minutes
8. hill climb
9. done
>>
>>1003898
And also a quick way to fatigue and lose motivation. Just ride with groups faster or do some shorter easier efforts like 30 seconds in the first few weeks to ease into it. And get a power meter, of course.
>>
>>1003880
big group ride on sundays.
>>
Do a 300km ride this weekend.

>>1003892
>taking 2 rest days every week
Weak.
>>
>>1003880
Ride for longer when you can, yes. Give yourself some rest days. You might need to not ride at all or you might need to just go for an easy spin, that depends on you.

Try not to focus so much on distance though, focus on time. The distance will come.
>>
>>1003971
Fuck off, focusing on distance is the most rewarding.
>tfw doing 40 mile ride the first time
>tfw doing 100 mile ride the first time
>tfw doing 250km ride the first time
>tfw doing 300km ride the first time
Yes I switched from fatclapper units to superior units. And no I won't put a space between the number and "km" (nor have I ever read the SI broschure, so telling me to "re-read it" is based on a false premise) so fuck off, SI shill.
>>
>>1003973
Why did my post trigger you so much? Doing more distance is rewarding and you can still get that feeling by checking after your ride. Focusing on it during or before said ride isn't needed to enjoy the realization that you just road 10km further than your previous best.
>>
>>1003982
Not the guy you're replying to but

>what is 4chan
>>
>>1003982
>not setting goals and trying to reach them
>not thinking "my current longest ride is 268km, let's hit 300km this time!"
Pathetic faggot
>>
warm up 24 minute (5 minutes z1)
(2 minute below)
(5 minutes z3)
30 second on offs
10 seconds completely off
47 seconds 135+rpm spin up nueroactivization metabolic response primer
100 seconds below 75rpm
48 seconds 140rpm spin up nueroactivization sinosoidal heart rate pulse response primer
100 seconds below 50rpm lactate ejection port ejaculation
5 minutes z2 power or z1 HR which ever is first
3 minutes @ FTP
2 minutes @ sweetspot anabolic low cadence catabolizing lipid oxidation factor segment
5 minutes z2
1 minute z5
90 seconds @ 130rpm+ spin up
10 minutes z1
gentle ride till below recovery HR
3 x3 VO2max off@below Z2 HR (clear lactate)
30 seconds spin up 135+rpm
5 minutes z2
20 minutes@ FTP on offs 30 seconds z6 30 seconds z2 x10
5 minute cool down lactate threshold HR till below 120bpm
3x3 vo2max sweetspot low cadence scissor kick flying night kick backs (try and get HR over 190bpm for at least 90% of interval)
7 minutes z3.5/4 FTP LTHR till clear lactate glycogen depletion varied cadence polarization activization back pace to failure intervals x 5
10 minutes cool down
>>
>>1003952
way to be a fucking pussy

this takes a little over an hour to do and is the most important style of interval to perform
>>
Having too much fun and want to suffer?

How about you just come up with the most amazing, scenic, car-free route you can find home -- take the long way.

Then see how much time you can cut off each day.

Hard riding is going to do more for your endurance than just riding for longer, imho.

But the real way to feel your power level is to ride all day and see how far you can get. 100 miles in a day is pleb btw
>>
>>1004033
>>1004030

>people are at different fitness levels
>LEL! PUSSY PLEB! GET ON MY LEVEL

Your insecurity is showing
>>
Whatever happened to just riding however the fuck you want for fun?
>>
>>1004043

100 miles at 10 miles an hour is slow enough to not break a sweat in fall weather

The only challenge is not getting lost and eating something sugary every hour
>>
>>1004055
>100 miles at 10 miles an hour
>wow wtf is wrong with you? you cant ride 10 hours a day? plebplebpleb
>>
>>1004029
the only legitimate answer
>>
>>1003973
>>1003971
>>1003985

>not doing point A to B to bar to sleepover to A

it's like you don't have friends in other cities
>>
>>1004029
Bravo
>>
>>1003880
Are you intending to race?
>get Cyclists Training Bible, read it cover-to-cover a few times, write up an Annual Training Plan
Just want to get faster?
>Just RIDE MORE and never mind the bullshit, you're not up to it anyway.
/thread
>>
>>1004029
I swear to god this is what people think cycling should be now
>>
>>1004235
volume only works if you have about 4-5 years to devote to consistent 20+ hours a week of base riding

for people with normal lives and around 10 hours a week intervals are the answer to getting faster on a bike
>>
Find interesting places that you want to ride that are farther away than your short hops. Preferably with hills

Adjust your fit and gear to handle longer rides.

Because no matter if you're going to be doing intervals, volume of long rides, or even hardcore anon's whatever he calls that >>1004029 , you might as well go yourself someplace interesting and with no pain but lactate.

Also, once you're riding enough for it to matter, a basic heart rate monitor is very cheap and very helpful.

Power meters are very good, but expensive. Unless you want to race, I would skip them.

>>1004054
>>1004043
Anon's specifically talking about raising his power level.
>>
>>1004568
how could i design a training plan based on intervals for someone with a normal life?
where do i get the info from? thanks
>>
>>1004054
This is /n/
>>
Just do those commutes at 85% of your max heart rate.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.