[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone here ever been hit by a car?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

File: bike crash 620.jpg (195KB, 620x413px) Image search: [Google]
bike crash 620.jpg
195KB, 620x413px
Just was hit last night but thankfully not badly at all. Right ribcage is slightly bruised, lips a bit bruised, feel a bit nauseous though and just generally sluggish, and couldn't stomach anything but 2 slices of bread this morning, even though I normally eat like 1k calories for breakfast.

Anyone else have similar symptoms? I have work and school in like a couple of hours and don't want to pass out/die half way through class/work
>>
>>1002864
Yep. I was racing home to watch something on TV with some people, and started to salmon cycle like a retard.
Guy in a truck making a right (or maybe just tying to cross) onto the road I was on the left side of drove DIRECTLY into me. Glasses were thrown, I took the hit entirely to my face and shoulder.
He got halfway out of his car, but I just took a serious header and was embarrassed about being where I shouldn't, so I didn't make a scene about making him stay, so the fucker left.
(I wonder if he ever thinks about killing a dude, wonder if he checked the paper in the morning)

Friends picked me up, realized before me that it was worse than I thought, and that my eyebrow was hanging on by a thread.
Took me to the hospital where I got a dozen stitches to my head.

Cycle with traffic, kids.
>>
>>1002864
Oh, meant to add, sounds like you may have a concussion, for real. Especially if you're feeling sick.
>>
>>1002876
Yea I assumed my central nervous system was a bit out of wack,gonna skip the gym for this week at least but still bike around campus because it's better than walking in the heat
>>
>>1002864
might be some kind of small trauma? but you'd better call 811 or whatever it is in your country (special line for health services)

also, don't expect too much of /n/, this is a slow board

good luck anon, may the power of the non-cagers be with you!
>>
>>1002880
No, you need to go to the fucking Doctor.
>>
>>1002880
>gym
>not riding 24/7
you deserve getting hit
>>
>>1002864
Jesus, did you get the driver's plates & insurance info?

I've been hit 3 times, twice in the last year. First time it was a guy making a right turn on a red at an intersection where it's expressly prohibited due to the protected bike lane. Second time was in the exact same lane, this time a driver travelling same direction as me cut me off to turn right. Third time, an old lady in a "fuck you" Lexus SUV failed to yield to me in a traffic circle. Shit always happens.

First two times I was not hurt, but my bike was damaged. Third time I got some pretty bad bruising on my ribs and knee, which kept me off the bike for a month or so. Still dealing with insurance for that one.

For none of these was I in the wrong. All 3 drivers broke the law and I ended up crashing.

OP, my advice to you is to get a lawyer, especially if there is head stuff involved. I hope to god you are not at fault for this, because that would mean you're on the hook for everything.
>>
File: 5078042722_974e64118a_o.jpg (423KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
5078042722_974e64118a_o.jpg
423KB, 1200x1600px
>>1002864

A number of times unfortunately. I feel for you anon.

Returning from my lunchbreak, I darted through my normal path of urban alleys, through a park, and down a cobblestone one way street leading to the office. All downhill and fun as balls. Until a car pulled out and did a u-turn the wrong way up the street right in front of me. Couldn't brake well on the cobblestones and went over his trunk.

Limped my broken bike back to job, dripping blood from the elevator to my desk. Got fired for being late from lunch.

Another time a lady drunkenly ran a stop light perpendicular to me. She hit me at around 45mph, I bunnyhopped up as she hit me, hit the windshield and went over the back of the car. Health insurance said it was an auto accident, auto insurance said it was a health thing.... basically went broke while zoned out on painkillers instead of answering my lawyers calls.

That said, I still bike daily and have come to peace with getting splattered for good one day.
>>
I've been bike commuting for over a year now. I haven't been hit yet. The closest call was my fault because I was salmoning across an intersection.
>>
>>1002925
You got fired for coming back late from lunch after you were dripping blood? That's some shady shit right there.
>>
>>1003033
Depends on the state. At-will states, unless they make specific mention of your race, sex, or creed, they can fire you for any reason, without notice, and what's more, they're not even required to give you a reason. (Which makes it doubly hard to prove if it was bullshit or not.)
They could find out you're a Giants fan and fire you for that.
>>
>>1003036
I totally understand. I'm American too.

That totally blows.
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px)
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Three times, all the same situation.

>be at four way stop
>stop
>start rolling
>driver to right stops then starts driving directly into me
>jump off hood, no damage to bike
>dont ask her for information, shes way more shook up than me, I think she was texting when she hit me

>be at two way stop
>stop
>start rolling
>driver across from me stops and starts rolling, doesn't see me
>low speed impact with front wheel, minimal damage to bike, uninjured
>the bastard lied about it to his insurance company and said I ran the stop sign

>be at four way stop
>stop
>start rolling
>driver to right stops and then drives right into me
>scariest collision by far, somehow rebound backwards off the bike, scratching my legs and arms
>beloved bike is totaled
>call CHP
>have garmin data proof this time
>gps data not necessary, the dude told the truth, said he didn't see me
>his insurance company pays out OK
>>
Sort of almost yesterday.
I was approaching a two lane roundabout and didn't take the lane early enough so a little lady in a car got past and then, as I took the lane behind her there was a gap in the roundabout for both of us to get through but she slammed on her brakes so I nearly went into the back if her. In fact I think my front tyre even touched her rear bumper.
I hate when shit like that happens. Then have to try and push the high gear I was in to take off again.
Fuck little ladies. Fuck 'em in the arse!
>>
File: Capture.jpg (156KB, 1033x612px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
156KB, 1033x612px
I'll admit I've been hit once - and it was my fault. I was using a shortcut on my commute that required riding on a sidewalk (contrary to the flow of traffic) for about 100 yards and crossing a two parking lot entrances. Driver sped out of the parking lot and only looked left (where oncoming traffic would come from) and plowed across the sidewalk, hit the back of my bike at about 10mph (panniers took the impact) so no harm was done beyond knocking my rear wheel slightly out of true, didn't even fall over.

Red line on map was original shortcut, blue arrow how I got hit, black line how I modified my shortcut to be safer after that.
>>
>>1002864
You dumb shit, YOU SHOULD HAVE GONE TO THE GODDAMNED EMERGENCY ROOM, now when you sue the fucker you won't have a paper trail showing your injuries! YOU COULD BE BLEEDING INTERNALLY OR HAVE A SERIOUS INJURY AND NOT EVEN KNOW IT YOU DUMB SHIT! Go to a goddamned doctor ASAP, not shitting you! Goddamnit some of you are fucking dumb!
>>
>Anyone here ever been hit by a car?

Yeah. Bitch hit me trying to overtake me.

Tibial plateau fracture, a ligament rupture, a massively bruised arm, and several scars. My baiku took the brunt of the damage though.

Knee's probably fucked forever. I frequently experience discomfort or slight pain while walking /cycling although it's very sporadic.
The scar on my forehead is really cool though, a huge pussy magnet so that's a plus.
>>
>>1002894
>cager fails to yield
>get hit

don't be stupid, they don't care about your life, ride as if they're trying to murder you and slow down even if you have right of way next time
>>
>>1003163
Anyway, in my 14 years of riding in the city, I've never been hit by driving in this manner.
There were close encounters sure, but never an impact.

In fact, the only collisions I've had were hitting a grill bicyclist while riding drunk, a billboard, again drunk and an old guy on a bike, because I was riding handless in rain and couldn't stop, all my mistakes, never someone elses.
>>
>>1002925
USA USA USA
>>
Late December of last year I got t-boned by a car. I just got off work and was feeling angsty and generally shitty so I thought I'd go for a ride to blow off some steam and try to have some fun. I eventually made my way to an outdoor mall that is modeled to be similar to a city center, a lot of roads between each row of shops, etc. I rode around listening to music, being kind of stupid and reckless until I started feeling fatigued. I exited the mall but decided I'd ride a little bit more before heading back home. Due to the accident all I remeber is riding up one of the entrance streets, then a lapse in memory for at least a good minute or two, then a fraction of a second seeing a car in my periferial vision as I made a turn from one of the parking aisles and thinking to myself "Well, here it comes", and then my memory slowly starts coming back as the ambulance is getting ready to head to the hospital. The car hit my left side, bounced me off the hood and into some bushes which was fortunate since I wasn't wearing a helmet at the time. The bike only got one small dent, some scratches, but all I had to so in order to get it back up and running was to get the wheels trued. My face and arm had a couple large abrasions but other than some minor aches I was fine.

The driver admitted fault and I ended up getting a nice story, $600 in insurance money, and some nice, although unnecessary, painkillers.

I'm always wearing a helmet now and don't ride as recklessly as I used to.
>>
>>1002864
Some guy opened his door while driving buy and hit me once, does that count or does it have to be getting hit from the front?
>>
>>1003033
Unfortunately it's legal.

>>1003036
That fucking blows. It sounds like they just wanted to get rid of you, and used lunch as an excuse.
>>
>>1003163
Don't worry, I'm all about defensive riding. It was just early morning. I was a bit sleepy and the driver approached at 40 clicks. I didn't have time to respond.
>>
File: 4chan-together.gif (67KB, 300x100px) Image search: [Google]
4chan-together.gif
67KB, 300x100px
Insurance is offering me what I paid for my bike new. That seems pretty good to me, but someone said that I should hold out for the cost of a new equivalent bike today.

I don't want to be greedy, and I'm worried that if I push it they'll reduce their offer because the bike isn't in new condition anyway.

Wat do.
>>
>>1003184
Did you sustain any personal injuries? If so you deserve more than that.

Also, don't accept that offer. Find an actual reasonable replacement and tell them you want them to pay for it. Don't feel pressured to close the deal, insurance claims can easily take months.
>>
File: zeppelin-pyramid.jpg (222KB, 480x600px) Image search: [Google]
zeppelin-pyramid.jpg
222KB, 480x600px
>>1003185

No injuries luckily.

Thanks for the encouragement. I got a quote for a replacement from a bike shop, so I'll bludgeon them with that.
>>
>>1002875
>salmon cycle
whats that?
>>
I hit a car one time. Pulled out into the bike lane to make a turn. It was swerve into traffic, or go flying over the handle bars, so I locked my back wheel and tried to do a hockey slide into it.

Scrape on my knee and bent front wheel but they compensated me a few hundred bux.
>>
>>1003559
Cycling against traffic rather than with it.
It's dangerous for a number of reasons.
>>
>>1002864
>racing downhill
>think I've passed car
>car turns into a lot, clipping back tire by a few inches
>bike knocked out from under me
>flyingsquirrel.gif

I was mostly just shaken up, a few scrapes on my elbows and knees. The driver was apologetic and there were multiple pedestrian witnesses. We settled things through insurance (minor damage to rear wheel).

If you do get involved in an accident, it's best to call the police immediately so they can record witness testimony. Not all drivers cooperate.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.