[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can i swap in a bigger chain ring?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: RING.jpg (83KB, 709x1000px) Image search: [Google]
RING.jpg
83KB, 709x1000px
About 10 years ago i swapped most of the parts of my bike for various shit. (most of the hardware is now Deore) Then i stopped riding a bike.
Now i want to get back into commuting with my bike but i realized that it is too slow. I think my front chainrings are too small.
Is is possible to swap the largest one for a larger chain ring?
>>
>>1002737
It will probably be difficult to find rings in that fitment and I doubt you'll find anything larger, what do you have currently? I'd just replace the whole crankset.
>>
>i want to get back into commuting with my bike but i realized that it is too slow.
>my front chainrings are too small.

Cadence and cardio motherfucker. Having a bigger front gear will not make you go faster. That's not how bikes work. You just have to ride more.
>>
>>1002748
If he's spinning out then a larger chainring will help.
>>
>>1002748
go to sleep junior
>>
Work on your cadence OP.

>>1002754
>>1002757
There are 37 teeth visible in his picture. The chainring has 40+ teeth so it's not the problem. Even 37/12 means you'll be going 40 km/h at 105 cadence.
>>
>>1002737
>I want to go faster by using a larger gear
>>1002748
>That's not how gears work. You just have to ride more.
scarecrow, plz

OP, it might be easier to swap over your cassette.
>>
Stop mashing
>>
>>1002763
What size wheels does OP have?
>>
>>1002763
Okay then, lets assume 42t (typical largest ring for that era). 42:12 is just over 24mph at 90rpm, some people can't spin much faster than that and it's very easy to go much faster than that down hill. If he has a freewheel then we're up to 42:14 and just 21mph at 90rpm.

Now, I'm not saying that your theory is incorrect (that he thinks a larger ring will make him go faster if he's no already spinning out) but we can't flat out disregard that he may need high gearing.

>>1002768
It's a 4 bolt triple from well over a decade ago so most like 26".
>>
File: IMAG0243.jpg (1MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0243.jpg
1MB, 2688x1520px
>>1002772
This is my 4 bolt triple from a bike that I bought in the late 90's. It's 50T with 700C wheels.

Let's ask OP what size his chainring and wheels are. Hey OP! What size are your...nvm.
Yes it's possible to change your rings but you'd need to locate one that fits and you'll almost certainly have to buy the whole crankset, and not just a single larger chainring. Then you'd probably need to change the bottom bracket as well.
Much easier to just swap over the cassette, imo. Then all you'd have to do is adjust the rear derailleur.
>>
>>1002779
I said most likely. Your bike is the minority.
>>
>>1002786
True. Flat bar road bikes are pretty special!

None of this matters to OP, anyway. So nvm.
>>
>>1002737

I had one of those. Sugino Impel? Just replace it

Honestly though if you need more than 46t on an MTB/touring ride I'd say you need to spin more. Don't listen to the 53t roadie bros
>>
OP here, would it be helpful to you guys if i would measure the number of teeth on the biggest front ring and on the smallest back ring?

(transmission is Deore on the front and Deore XT in the back)

Btw my problem is not that i can't go fast but that i feel like i have to pedal at a very high RPM even when i am on the fastest gear setting to go fast.
>>
>>1002829
You're supposed to pedal fast to go fast m8.

Biggest front ring and smallest back ring along with your tire size can be used to see what are the limits of your gearing.
>>
>>1002842
I counted 42:11
Tire is 26"
>>
>>1002847
That translates to 20 mph at 70 rpm, 25 mph at 90 rpm, and 30 mph at 110 rpm. You definitely don't need any larger gears.

90 rpm is still something that can be easily kept up for hours and 25 mph is more than respectable speed for a flat, especially on an old mtb. If you're spinning out on a downhill just tuck and enjoy. Keep working on that cadence.
>>
>>1002847
you don't need a higher ratio than that
you just need to improve your cardio
>>
>>1002854
>>1002855
Well i am definitely a couch potato, i think i haven't done any cardio since highschool which was 10 years ago.
>>
>>1002763
>105 cadence
Come on, mate. Be reasonable. I don't think a fat guy with a DUI who hasn't done cardio for ten years is going to be able to spin up at 105 rpm on a mountain hybrid with flat pedals.
The big guy needs big gears.
>>
>>1002737
Go to Shimano website, find the compatibility chart, look up the component group you have, see if it can handle the jump from your small to the large chainring you want. /thread
>>
>>1002847
>>1002859
My rough-road/gravel bike has 44/11. It's just fine for around town and for relaxed group rides up through the mountains (none of us are wannabe racers spinning out in 53/11). It'll take me up past 35mph on flats if I really spin.

If you're out of shape and riding a shit bike, bigger gears aren't going to make you faster - the only thing holding you back is yourself. V and VV
>>
If you have 26" slicks, a 14-28 freewheel and a 42/32/22 crank, you can spin out.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.