[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>buy brand new $2000 baiku >its stolen 2 days later

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 18

File: dasbaiku.jpg (10KB, 236x234px) Image search: [Google]
dasbaiku.jpg
10KB, 236x234px
>buy brand new $2000 baiku
>its stolen 2 days later
>>
File: 1472738818125.png (215KB, 459x462px) Image search: [Google]
1472738818125.png
215KB, 459x462px
>buying new while living on a shithole filled with burglars and drug addicts.

If you live on a ghetto, get a ghetto bike.
>>
>>1002163
Check your transportation privilege, you victim-blaming thief apologist!
>>
sup homies, anyone wanna buy this brand new bike I found, for like too hunid. i need da muffin scratch yo. hmu
>>
File: Happy-Frog-Meme-02.jpg (34KB, 304x288px) Image search: [Google]
Happy-Frog-Meme-02.jpg
34KB, 304x288px
>buy a hardly used and well cared for 1990's Trek for $120 USD
>hasn't been stolen in 4 the years that Ive had it (despite extensive use and it being locked out side for extended periods of time)
>>
>>1002148
slap the insurance gusset
>>
>>1002148
>2016
>Being this irresponsible with your expensive things
LOL, fag.
>>
>>1002148
There are two kinds of bikes, the ones who cannot be left unnatended, and the ones who are beaters and can be locked anywhere because they are useful but not valuable (commuting bikes). You can't have a 2000 dollars bike and getting robbed because you left it on a bad place, a bike like that should be inside your home, better in your room or next to you. I have read lots of stories of bike stealing, and a lot of times the owners left their bikes on the garage and other unseccure places that can be busted at night withouth making any noise. The best and cheapest option is bringing your beloved one with you every night, and I'm talking about you bike, you can leave your wife outside if there is no space in your bedroom.
>>
>>1002321
>get my wife raped in the night by blacklivesmatter
>baiku is sucking me off in my bed
are you nuts?
>>
File: absolutely_pepe.jpg (18KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
absolutely_pepe.jpg
18KB, 400x300px
>friend gets a nice bike
>has had nice bikes stolen earlier, tried to warn him about leaving it outside with a cable lock
>tell him to get a proper u-lock for the nice bike
>still gets stolen by some crackhead who simply lifted the traffic pole it was attached to
>>
File: sherlock_preview-e1472365726520.png (237KB, 522x306px) Image search: [Google]
sherlock_preview-e1472365726520.png
237KB, 522x306px
I just had my bike stolen yesterday, a $600 commuter with some fine ass aero-bars and panniers.

before starting my own thread, does anybody have experience with bike tracking technology? I got the idea of buying one of those child tracking watches seems like the exact same thing but also stumbled onto 'sherlock tracking' which is a little more specific to bikes.

Does anyone here know anything about tracking? I've been dreaming of it since I was 15 and it's such an easy damn idea to implement, now I have to sort through brands and concepts.
>>
File: 1472400461273.png (229KB, 702x447px) Image search: [Google]
1472400461273.png
229KB, 702x447px
>>1002333
they make all kinds. I saw one that replaces that little disc on the steering tube. That one was llike 150 bucks and used a pay-as-you-go phone card that doesn't activate until you tell it to. after that it's like some charge for every time it texts you to update you of the bike's location. it sounds totally worth it to me especially considering you don't have to activat it until you lose the bike. i'm sorry about your bike anon
>>
>>1002333
>bike tracking technology
>also checked trips

Are you talking about GPS tracking devices that you can hide in the stem or one of handle bar?

The truth about GPS trackers are a bit out of point for the time being. The most common issues are:

>when in building the signal is lost
>weak as fuck battery that is sucked off because when GPS is active
>GSM/GPS combo is a pure destruction of the battery of the device
>GSM extra $10/15 monthly fee

Perhaps this may be a valid option but for extreme cases of $5000+ road bikes that you need any security you can get.
>>
>>1002333
how was it stolen?
>>
>>1002367
>after that it's like some charge for every time it texts you to update you of the bike's location. it sounds totally worth it to me especially considering you don't have to activat it until you lose the bike. i'm sorry about your bike anon

that's probably the biggest selling point I've heard so far, all the other gps systems charge something like $20-40 per month, which is some stupid shit.

My thinkings is a GPS stick that has pre planned interval of signal retrieval you can preset, so that you don't track it every minute every second but every hour or 3. Then a text to your gps will activate it to update more often.

>>1002372

>when in building the signal is lost
>weak as fuck battery that is sucked off because when GPS is active
>GSM/GPS combo is a pure destruction of the battery of the device
>GSM extra $10/15 monthly fee

I swear all of this could be cleared up with some intuitive designers, just make it so you can activate 'lost mode' after a few hours giving you a 'stolen window' of like a week of hardcore signal, you could even have a system amplify the ping so as you get nearer the frequency goes from an hour to minute.

am I dreaming or do people care more about fucking candy crush than saving my bike

I'VE ABANDONED MY CHILD
>>
>>1002378
a black man approached and said "gimme mah bikes motherfucker or I pop your ass bitch nigga, move"
>>
>>1002378
desu not sure, I've been having lock issues due to not getting around to lubing the lock-hole but I was in a pretty high traffic mall so I did take more precaution (tugging on it and the bike) before leaving it.
It's half a mystery to me, but I probably fucked it up, no way they picked it in front of 100 passerby's.
>>
>>1002381
you used the ulock through frame and rear wheel + cable combo right? like you are supposed to. are did you use a walmart lock?
>>
>>1002385
I used a cable lock only, not two.
is doubling up a thing?
>>
The best u-lock that money can buy coming through... beep beep.. honk!
>>
File: lock-bike-1-u-lock-2-wheels.jpg (187KB, 816x612px) Image search: [Google]
lock-bike-1-u-lock-2-wheels.jpg
187KB, 816x612px
>>1002148
I lock my bike like this, r8
>>
>>1002381
It's actually totally possible due to the fact angle grinding by a professional doesn't take more than a few minutes, bystander effect means someone is less likely to do something the more people are around, and response time is yoi slow even if someone called the cops or mall security.
>>
>>1002390
what was the quality of the cable lock? did you use a shitty one? If you did i think you deserved to get your bike stolen....
>>
>>1002392
I'd steal your brakes and saddle in a minute.
>>
>>1002410
Shut your mouth thief, I have a pin-locks on "all" of my expensive equipment so choke on it
>>
>>1002394
no it was a heavier duty CCM, cost about $40.

Why can't a dude leave the bike lock when they steal a bike? it's useless.

also that pic must be for people who really hate getting there wheels stolen but the ulock is still the only thing locking the bike. I avoid quick release at all cost.
>>
>>1002419
have you heard od the 10% rule? buy a lock that is worth 10% of your bike, cable locks are the weakest lock there are, get u locks or heavy duty chain locks
>>
>>1002426
>heavy duty chain locks
this kills nice painting on bike
>>
File: 41W15UHVbhL.jpg (28KB, 500x340px) Image search: [Google]
41W15UHVbhL.jpg
28KB, 500x340px
>>1002432
>not knowing all heavy chain locks come with fabric sleeves.
>>
>>1002372
You could probably get away with just GSM triangulation instead of a proper GPS. That would give you a general idea of the city block where your bike is kept.
>>
>>1002391
A $2000+ will attract upper-tier thieves with angle grinders.
>>
>>1002435
>implying that will save my painting in the first place anyway
>also 7 KG - ggwpayy
>>
>>1002438
then wtf should I do with my Trek bike? ride in home on rolls? wtf man.jpg
>>
>>1002440
dont be a retard and commute on a high performance road bike to stores
>>
>>1002391
you're gonna get your front wheel stolen man
>>
File: sa.png (99KB, 731x554px) Image search: [Google]
sa.png
99KB, 731x554px
>>1002453
thats impossible
>>
I've had two bikes stolen, and one almost stolen; the lock was twisted and this left a dent in the frame. Also, for some reason my saddle tip was cut by 2mm. It took me 5 seconds to cut the cable lock with wire cutters, why aren't some thiefs even trying?
>>
>>1002472
how shit of an area do you live in? and why the fuck did you buy a cable lock that can be cut with wire cutters?
>>
>>1002476

Not that bad really, but the bikes were cheap and so were the locks. Now that I have 6k worth of bikes, I keep them behind a steel door. I live in Fineland btw
>>
>>1002438

Which is only a feasible thieving plan if the bike is regularly locked overnight in a low-traffic area like an alleyway.
>>
>>1002419
Holy shit you dumbass. Why the fuck would you buy a cable lock esp. A Canadian tire pos. If you just bought 1 kryptolok series 2 for $20 more you would be fine.
>>
>>1002410
Go away you saddlesniffer/brakelicker
>>
You all should put some kind of gps tracking device built into the frames of your bikes and go full Liam Neeson on whoever tries to steal it.
>>
>>1002410
Only the saddle and brakes?, I'm surprised thieves don't get another parts like shifters, they are easy to get, you just need an allen key and a cable cutter, 1-2 minutes and you can get almost everything except the frame and the wheel.
>>
>>1002531
see
>>1002372
>>1002379
>>
>not keeping your bikefu in your apartment with you
>not using the best locks you can afford and being careful where and for how long you leave it
>not bartering to take it inside anywhere you regularly frequent
>not watching it like a hawk from the window ready to chase a nigger down if he tries it

>>1002332
>not testing what you lock it to

>>1002390
>using gift ribbon

>>1002391

>anon gets his front wheel, bottle cage, light, and bag stolen
>>
>>1002760
>anon gets his front wheel, bottle cage, light, and bag stolen

shut up! shut up! you son of a bitch! stop it! stop right now! nooo~~~~~~~~ thats not true! You LIE! You are a liar! It can't be true... my u-lock is useless...no... Abus why...
>>
>leaving your nice bike outside
>>
>>1002776
sorry for not being NEET and needing to commute or going to shop or ride along with friends and cruise around
>>
>>1002777
>having only one bike
>>
>>1002782
why don't you check my trips and stop giving me such a nidicolous advices from your hat eh mr.?

My road bike is sufficient to do all
>>
>>1002783
where do you live anon? and how much is your bike worth? sure would like a new road bike in my negro hands.
>>
>>1002787
>negro hands
ewwww
>>
>>1002783
If you say so
>>
File: CJdSyUV.jpg (65KB, 530x600px) Image search: [Google]
CJdSyUV.jpg
65KB, 530x600px
>buy shit bike <$200
>gets stolen 6 months - never
>not a single fuck given
>>
>>1002164
>Guardianbikeblog
>>
>>1002163
>get a kryptonite lock that has warranty
>get two of them
>once bike is stolen provide pics of broken lock w/receipt
>claim warranty
>get $$$ for another 2000 baiku

I've never had to claim it myself but this is what I hear being done.
>>
>>1002926
you forgot one thing
>the paper work and proof that you need to deliver its behind 9999999999999999999999 walls to even get Kryptonite review your "stolen" baiku in the first place

so fuck them and invest in Abus and common sense
>>
>>1002926
So you can cut your own lock and then take pics to receive free money saying that someone stole your bike?, I don't think that's so easy. Also there is no unbreakable lock, I have seen ton of messages from people who got stole while using kriptonites, so I don't think that the manufacturer would pay so easily when their locks can be fucked up by an average drug addict.
>>
>>1002942
IDK. This is just based off what I have heard others do.
>>
>>1002949
Adding to this - I think they would require some proof more than that. A police report maybe?
>>
>>1002951
Reports are just papers, you can say X thing and the officer will put it on a peper, then nothing more. A cousin went to the police and said a muslim robbed her, because he broke her phone and wanted to hid it to her mother, because if the mother knew, she would never give her daughter a new phone. The same with the bike, this is real life and not CSI, police are not gonna check every camera and looking for reflections to enhance, they will just take your bike model-serial number and maybe a pic or asking for something that they can use to identify it, and that's all.
>>
>>1002394
this is my setup whenever i bike downtown, fuck that place
>>
>>1002196
Enjoy not living a real shithole.

No, seriously, enjoy it. You first world nigger don't know how good you have it.
>>
>>1002985
I'm aware of what filling a police report entails (I too have had a bike stolen). If you're lucky they'll give you a piece of paper with a case number and a name, but with bikes they really can't do much. Where do you get the CSI thing discussing this? I'm confused anon.
>>
File: 747547.jpg (35KB, 400x310px) Image search: [Google]
747547.jpg
35KB, 400x310px
>>1002148

>steal brand new what looks like 200$ baiku
>get 1000$ for it at pawn shop 2 days later
>>
>>1003206
*********** you!
>>
>>1003206
too bad pawn shops are connected to the police data base and will know if something is stolen or not.
>>
>>1002486
Not necessarily. If you live in a metropolis thieves will openly cut locks with angle grinders in broad daylight with lots of traffic. In this kind of dense environment nobody feels responsible. Hell, many will assume it's a city service removing bikes illegally parked or something.
>>
>>1003208
>censoring yourself
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>1003267
/r/bicycle is better than this
>>
File: Jimmy+neutron_48495b_5964329.jpg (73KB, 539x908px) Image search: [Google]
Jimmy+neutron_48495b_5964329.jpg
73KB, 539x908px
For all the niggas talking about GPS trackers, I'm an Electronic Engineer. I'm currently designing one from scratch.

I live in the UK and here there is a pretty cool option for the GSM bit of this: giffgaff. If I top up every 3 months I get free calls and texts to giffgaff, but the cool part is that data is quite cheap when you don't have a plan, it's like 5p/Mb. A tracker won't use even 1Mb in several hours of hardcore tracking, so I guess I'll go with that.

I'll be using a decent GPS unit to track the location of the bike, with a pretty good antenna so that there's the chance of getting signal even in a building.

For the user interface I had a website in mind, just a google map with a layer of the last 100 locations or something like that. It should be fairly easy to implement.

I thought about using an accelerometer for activation. I know a couple of accelerometers which allow you to put them to sleep consuming virtually nothing, but they can fire an interrupt if they detect some movement, I could then use that interrupt to activate the rest of the system. It would enable the GSM module and send a text to my phone with a link to the website, and then enable the GPRS to send the location to the server. Texas Instruments have a whole family of microcontrollers that would be perfect for this.

For the battery part I'd probs go with one, two, or three iPhone 6 Plus batteries. Super light and massive in capacity. With these TI microcontrollers and some other trickery I could probably get a good 12 months if not more standby time and several days of tracking, depending on update frequency.

The only bits I'm not sure about are stuff like where to hide this whole thing. The electronics would fit just fine inside the handlebar, but the batteries would not. Also the antenna would need to be pretty much open to the air. Any ideas?

I recently bought a $1.2k bike and I don't want it stolen to begin with, but if it is I'll find the niggers.

Pic related I guess.
>>
File: back to leddit.jpg (21KB, 396x382px) Image search: [Google]
back to leddit.jpg
21KB, 396x382px
>>1003268
>pic related

>>1003284
I've thought that maybe a GPS unit that hides under the saddle or in the frame would be best. I'm not familiar with most of what you have there... about how big would that be?
>>
>>1003286
I though about putting this thing under the saddle, though it might be easy to remove it.

These things have gotten crazy small m8, I remember back in the day this would be fucking massive, but today this whole thing could be the size of like a mars chocolate bar, especially after I make custom circuit boards.

As I said, the radios and the "brain" would fit just fine inside the handlebar, just not the GPS antenna and the batteries unless I choose some other battery that's not as big as the iPhone 6 Plus battery, but it is such an outstanding battery that it would be hard to replace.

Maybe some excellent quality AA sized lithium batteries could go inside the handlebar but I don't know how much better or worse than the 6 Plus battery the ones I'd find would be.

Maybe the antennas could somehow go under the handlebar tape? The GSM one would be absolutely fine in there (it's flat), but the GPS one is kinda awkwardly shaped, pic related is a similar one, just a bit shittier than the one I'll be using.

hmm I can't wait to get started with this.
>>
>>1003289
>in the handlebar

That would be perfect. Bonus points if you can include a grip that allows for easy removal but is not easily seen.
>>
I have just been taking a look around some electronic component distributors and I've seen some flat (2.3mm at it's thickest point) GPS antennas. They're quite expensive though, but worth it for sure, so I suppose that if I manage to find decent AA lithium batteries I could probably hide the whole thing inside the handlebar.

A hole in the handlebar would allow me to route the antenna cables out and I could just wrap tape around the antennas, putting the antennas in a place where I know I'll never pressure.

I guess I could modify one of the caps to install a enable button of some sorts.

I'll order some stuff to prototype it tomorrow.
>>
>>1003284
>lives in the UK
>thinks he can confront jihadi bike thieves with his government-sanctioned soup spoon
>>
>>1003305
You're right, I should just implement the GSM module and fill the handlebar with C4, just give the bike a call a couple hours after it's been stolen and sent the jihadis to the jihadi heaven.
>>
>>1002394

That looks different from how other graphics suggest locking with a u lock and cable, with the cable being looped around the lock once, with cable fitting the frame and wheels.

Which is a better approach?
>>
>>1003349
not sure, i heard that you want to keep your lock down low so it will be more difficult for the thief to cut. so i guess yours is better.
>>
we just need government issued bikes with all proprietary parts that are worthless on the streets and immediately replaced in case of theft by the government. pls
>>
>tfw went out to buy an u-lock after seeing this thread

fuck you all, shit is too heavy, (3.3lbs/1.5kg) cant put it anywhere on my bike (cables running everywhere on the frame) and seems too small to locking it to real world objects
>>
>>1003587
Don't fall for the memes idiot. The only save place is the home. Or use a shitty cable lock if you don't leave your boke longer than 1 hour. If you leave you bike for longer periods of time outside and it's a really nice bike, it gets stolen 100% even with a shitty u lock
>>
>>1002440
You answered your own question.
>>
>>1003595
fuck rolls
>>
>>1003587
Good u-lock is hella safe if you lock your bike if you lock your bike outside for long perioids of time.

But in the case of casual commute, where you don't leave your bike out for a long time, just something that can't be broken simply by jerking is enough.

It doesn't hurt to own a couple of kind of locks.
Thread posts: 86
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.