[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First road bike: Tiagra+Disc vs 105+Rims

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: Contend%20SL%201_Blue_2000.jpg (324KB, 2000x1252px) Image search: [Google]
Contend%20SL%201_Blue_2000.jpg
324KB, 2000x1252px
Hi,

I'm about to purchase my first road bike and I was wondering if it would be a wise decision to go for a disc brake equipped bike? I'm coming from a MTB background where disc brakes are standard so no prejudice there. I'm a fairly light guy at around 143 lbs.

I've been looking at the Giant Contend SL range and narrowed it down to 2 models:

SL 1:
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/pl/contend-sl-1
+ Nearly full 105 groupset
+ Lighter wheels
+ Colour (personal preference)
- Rim brakes (that wear out the rim, I'll have to eventually replace the whole rims/wheels)

SL 2 Disc:
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/contend.sl.disc.2/26004/92756/
+ TRP Spyre mechanical discs (probably the best mechanical disc brake at the moment. Engages both brake pads.)
- 10 SPD Tiagra (shall I decide to upgrade to 11 SPD it would be expensive)
- Heavier wheels

I live in a fairly hilly area with steep ups and down (albeit not long).
>>
File: Contend-SL2D-MD-Black.jpg (282KB, 2000x1201px) Image search: [Google]
Contend-SL2D-MD-Black.jpg
282KB, 2000x1201px
>>1001546
And here's the SL 2 Disc on 10 SPD Tiagra with mechanical discs.
>>
I'd definitely go with the SL1.

Lighter wheels make a pretty big difference in hills and it's why wheels are generally classified as either 'fast wheels (aero)' or 'climbing wheels (light)'.
Plus, I wouldn't buy a brand new 10 speed now for the reasons that you've mentioned.
Also, though I haven't tried disks, I've seen many people here say that mechanical disks aren't worth touching and that hydraulic is the only real option.

It's your money, your life, and your decision but if it was me then I think that too many things lean towards getting the SL1 over the SL2.
Even though I personally prefer the colour scheme of the SL2.
>>
don't we have a bike question/bike buying general thread?
>>
Get the SL2, you can always replace the wheels

I have hills too, they're fun. A slightly heavier wheel isn't going to help you unless you're racing. But discs are going to help you a lot when it's wet out
>>
how much could one save if you just got the components one wanted - frame/fork/seatpost, stem, handlbars, groupset, wheels - vs buying something as close to similar as possible?

is it definitely the case that buying these components all in pieces would be cheaper, or is it definitely the case that buying it all as a set would be cheaper? or does it depend?

i realize there are issues with this question, like the fact that buying piece by piece lets you customize what you want more carefully, and that you can buy some things used once you have a good sense for what to check when you buy a used component (e.g. frame, wheels, groupset), but let's assume like-for-like and that we're talking about someone who's competent enough to assemble a bike without serious incidents but not competent to assess used goods for value.
>>
>>1001553
Always cheaper to buy a whole bike. Always.

Bikes are not late 90s desktop computers
>>
>>1001554
hmm, makes sense. after asking this stupid question i realized i could google it and found basically what you said with some minor caveats - if you have peripheral parts like pedals, wheels, etc... that you like, then you can obviously bring those over with approximately 0 effort, so it's *possible* that you'll save money buying parts instead of a set at some tipping point.

i'm figuring that once you have a groupset or wheels that you like, then at that point it's more likely that a whole bike will cost you more because any good bike will usually come with approximately good peripheral components, which will add unnecessarily to the cost if you're just going to replace them with the ones you've already got. that being said, you could sell either component (the old wheels or the new, the old groupset or the new, etc...) if you're sufficiently motivated, recouping that loss. same could probably be said of the whole old bike, though.
>>
BBG next time anon.

And forget about the discs unless you're riding in rain. Skinny tires don't need as much power to lock.
>>
>>1001557
>And forget about the discs unless you're riding in rain. Skinny tires don't need as much power to lock.

Yeah, I get that. But what about other benefits? Tyre clearance, modulation, rims not wearing out, no need to keep your rims in 100% ultra-straight absolutely perfect flawless condition. As a MTBer I'm a little skeptical towards rim brakes actually.
>>
>>1001559
rim brakes aren't new and people are riding old bikes from the 90's and such.
rim wear only became a issue when carbon fibre wheels became more mainstream. yours will be alloy.
>>
I have BB5s on my cross bike which aren't exactly well thought of. Still like them a whole lot more than rim brakes. Rim brakes are fine though and I'd take 11 speed 105 drivetrain over discs and 10 speed tiagra.
>>
>>1001562
rim wear could become an issue if he overuses his brakes, never replaces them, and then rubs the metal against the alloy rims. but i don't think i've met anyone in my life who was sufficiently cavalier about their ability to brake for that to be possible.
>>
>>1001559
The biggest pro to disc IMO is the lever effort. I road my disc cross bike for months and then jumped on my rim brake road bike and I thought my brake pads had turned to stone at first, took so much more effort to hold my speed back on my hill. After 10 mins or so I was use to it and the vast majority of the time I'm not that hard on the brakes anyway so it isn't as noticeable.
>>
>>1001549
>>1001557
found the foamers.
>>
>>1001552
>A slightly heavier wheel isn't going to help you unless you're racing
A heavier bike, especially in the wheels, is going to suck the energy out of you regardless of whether or not a checkered flag awaits you at your destination.

The SL2 will be considerably heavier than the SL1. Just look at the cranksets!
>>
>>1001575
>suck the energy out of you
Buddy any kind of exertion "sucks the energy out of you", it's called exercise.

A heavier wheelset means you expend more energy while climbing, that's about it. You're not going to magically come to a stop and have to call your mommy to pick you up unless you've made a severe error of judgment, and that can happen even on Fernwegs

It's your responsibility to know if you're going to bonk in the middle of nowhere, and that has everything to do with your body and nothing to do with MUH GRAMS
>>
>>1001546
If you don't have any other road bikes yet then it's not unreasonable to get a bike designed with disc brakes, but keep this in mind: if you ever decide to upgrade the wheelset, you're now locked into wheelsets with disc brakes, and if you ever buy other bikes and want to trade wheelsets around between them, they all have to have disc brakes that are compatible with each other.
>>
>>1001559
>Yeah, I get that. But what about other benefits? Tyre clearance,
Not an issue unless you're going with fat tires.

>modulation,
Sure. Discs get this one.

> rims not wearing out, no need to keep your rims in 100% ultra-straight absolutely perfect flawless condition.

Not as much of an issue on road. Road rims stay cleaner, so you don't get the grinding paste effect of mud, and you shouldn't be messing up your wheels enough for this to be critical, unless you're riding around detroit or the chicago noose.

I'd go with the 11 speed over the discs for general roadie use. The discs are a reasonable choice too though.

>pl
Wait, that might be action packed trip to detroit teir roads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G74i3__Qgco

>>1001553
>>1001555
There's a serious markup on drivetrains that aren't on bicycles. If you want to go that route, at least the frame and drivetrain you want on a complete, then swap out the wheelset, and contact points.

>>1001577
Wheel weight hurts acceleration.
>>
>>1001548
You are fucking retarded. SL2 has much better running parts. I used to have tiagra gearset and it was smooth.
>>
>>1001626
>tiagra has much better running parts than 105
flat bars upset some people.
>>
>>1001626
>I used to have tiagra gearset and it was smooth.
Is that all you're basing your wrong claim on?...
>>
>>1001626
>tiagra is much better than 105
Here's your (You)
>>
>>1001627
its SAYS NEARLY FULL 105. making full tiagra better. unless u spending over 1500E then you can get a decent 105 set.
>>
>>1001546
>https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/contend.sl.disc.2/26004/92756/
That new Tiagra is actually pretty nice. But unless you ride in the rain/snow/mud, dick brakes are not a necessity. Also, you can update to 11 speed with that Tiagra groupset if you change the cassette and brifters, since the derrailers are 11 speed compatible (don't ask me why, but I've read that in a lot of sites, which makes it uncompatible with older 10 speed shit, except for cassettes and chains.),

I'd still go for the 105 with calipers.
>>
>>1001554
Also this. I've put enough money in "upgrades" for my old bike that now seem like a fucking waste. Get something ncie, and don't buy twice. If you ever want to upgrade to something nicer, you can sell your whole bike and buy something nicer used or new, depending on your budget.
>>
>first road bike
>already thinking about upgrading parts

Dude, just get the bike you like more and then ride it, it doesn't really matter if it just have 10 speed tiagra instead of 11spd 105, people in the past raced with less gears and worse bikes.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.