[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A couple of years ago I was gifted a Kona Dew Plus, a hybrid

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_2843.jpg (97KB, 846x634px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2843.jpg
97KB, 846x634px
A couple of years ago I was gifted a Kona Dew Plus, a hybrid bike. I rode it maybe about 70 miles all together and for whatever reason became disenchanted by it because I wanted a road bike. That didn't happen and my cycling career ended. But now I need to exercise, do cardio, and I want to get into shape... and I hate running so I pulled it out of storage.

It's a pretty sweet bike to be honest, don't know why I became bitchy about it. Some nuts rusted but nothing on the frame and it's essentially in perfect condition just dusty and the tires are flat, the disk brakes squeal a bit but work.

How much do tires cost? How much is a tune up, reasonably? I don't want to get hustled by the bike mafia in my town.

Also I want to put butterfly/trekking bars on it because I can just transfer over the current brakes without having to convert shit like I would with drop bars.

Any ideas?

>pic related, it's the same bike but not the exact one
>>
Most LBS do a full overhaul for 100-150$ but you dont need to do that, get some generic degreaser at a hardware store for like 10 bucks clean the drivetrain and buy bike specific chain lube and lube the chain, Use the videos at GCN for help. do you want to change the tires or tubes? tubes are about 7$ each

tldr: Get Gud and do it yourself.
>>
are you sure the tyres need replacing? check the tubes.
why do you think you need new bars if you've barely touched the bike? try bar ends, at least.

post a pic of the actual bike.
>>
>>1001227
>>1001229

I'll clean the bike and the chain but I'll bring it to the bike store for the tires.

How would I clean the brakes? They squeel a little but stop. They are disk brakes.

I guess I just need tubes? The tread on the tires is fine. How much should I expect to spend for the guy to install them?

I don't need new handle bars but I want them. The current handlebars are just flatbars but they're in great condition.
>>
>>1001849

Change the tubes yourself, it's an essential skill for all cyclists. If you get a flat mid-ride and you dont know how to change/repair tubes you're in for a bad time.

Youtube will show you how, all it requires is a tire lever and it gets easier every time you do it.
>>
File: babby.gif (1MB, 295x222px) Image search: [Google]
babby.gif
1MB, 295x222px
>>1001849
>The current handlebars are just flatbars
>just flatbars
>just
JUST?

You don't know how good you've got it. Flat bars are the undisputed king of the road!
Shame on you.
>>
>>1001849
if your bars are like the ones in the op then theyre called riser bars. not flat bars.

flat bars are reserved for the elite.

wew.
>>
>>1001850
I guess. I've never been an intense cycler, the most I have ever ridden at one time waa 30 miles, but I've never had a flat tire before while riding. How often do mountain biking hybrid tires get flat if you're not doing much offroading?

>>1001852
>>1001854
I guess they are risers then. What's the point and difference between risers and flat bars? Same thing kind of.
>>
>>1001860

A nail will punch right through the most "flatproof" tire. Sooner or later you will get a flat.
>>
>>1001861
I don't live in the ghetto, there aren't a bunch of nails just hanging out allover the streets.
>>
>>1001862

Just learn how to change a goddamn tube. It will come in handy one day and save you cash right now.
>>
File: dew_plus.jpg (95KB, 1000x599px) Image search: [Google]
dew_plus.jpg
95KB, 1000x599px
>>1001863
Lets say I do, do I have to now carry a bunch of tubes with me everywhere I go?

Should I also carry extra tires and rims? Where does it stop?

>pic related is the bike

Pros and cons? What can I do with it?
>>
>>1001864

Carry one spare tube, a patch kit, a pair of tire levers, a handpump. The patch kit will have a tireboot for emergency tire repairs as well as tube repair patches. Smart cyclists will also have a multitool, spoke key, and some spare chainlinks, but these aren't strictly necessary.

If you keep riding, eventually you will flat. Only someone of breathtaking levels of stupidity thinks that they will never ever get a flat tire. What then? Call your mom for a ride? Push your bike to the nearest bike shop, which might be 10 miles away?
>>
>>1001864
flat bar road bike riders carry a little black book that's full of phone numbers of girls who are more than willing to come and rescue him when he gets a flat tyre.

#alphaprivilege
>>
>>1001864
>>1001849

Brakes might squeal if you didn't use it because you probably didn't broke them in/ bed them at first. Disc brakes you need to do about 30 firm brakings at first to allow to set them and exchange particles from the pads to the rotor.

They could also be squealing if the caliper needs to be aligned, rotors have warped because of how you stored it or the wheels aren't well centered, all those things can be easily fix by you.
To clean disc brakes, look for the instructions on how to remove the pads if you think those might have been compromised by oil, but is usually very straight forward and just use isopropyl or acetone to clean the rotors and calipers.

Tires range from an estimate of around 10$ up to 70$, each depending on what you are going for and tire quality, design, puncture protection.

If you are worried about flats, look for tubeless setup or tubes with sealant inside, like slime, or tubes with removable valve cores which then you can fill with a sealant of your choice. In any case, just carrying a patching kit which cost like 3$ is enough to fix most tubes and tires, and works wonders, just carry a spare tube in case you prefer to change a punctured tube rather than patching it, which can take 10 minutes to wait for it to glue, plus the patching kit.

I personally hate flat handlebars, problem is that if you want to go for dropbars you would have to change the shifters, which wont be cheap if they brakes are fully hydraulic, if they are mechanical a pair of 105 STI shifters can go about 160$.
>>
>>1001893
Wow very informative, you're like some kind of bike guru.

The brakes are squeeling because, I think, some wd40 got on them.

I'm not particularly worried about flats. I just want tires and tubes that will work and last a while before having to replace them. I'm looking more for "rugged" than being a speed and distance demon.

I for whatever reason just don't like flat handlebars (risers being flat as well), they just don't do anything for me like on a personal and aesthetic level.

That'a why I was thinking about trekking "butterfly" bars, because I could just transfer the current brake system over without having to change it all like I would with drop bars.

I want to add a rear and front rack but I don't know how to figure that all out with the sizes and stuff.
>>
sure smells like dui repeat offender in here
>>
>>1001902
Why would you say that? Wanting to ride a bike means thay person got a dui?
>>
>>1001893
Alright so I heard y'all /n/iggas out and just wipe down the bike, underneath all that dust and dirt was a clean shiny bike in near perfect condition.

I inflated the tires and LO, they hold air, apparently they just got flat from sitting around in the basement.

Rode it around the gears work perfecting, brakes don't squeek, pedals nice, no complaints. I put a 15 dollar amazon road racing saddle knockup on it.. Super comfy. It's some "Vader" brand, white saddle, red stitching with some black logoing. Bike is dope.

So final thoughts, Kona Dew Plus used quality components and it fucking shows, basically took a parked basement bike and spit shined it and I have no problems.
>>
>>1004138
I just want to say that when I put the bike away, the disk brakes squeeled, but now they don't anymore?

I have no explanation, they just don't squeel and I'll take it.

If anyone is wondering what saddle I put on it
>pic related

I actually spent less than $15 on it.
>>
>>1004141
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.