[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tips for winter cycling?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: Pacific-Nomad.jpg (58KB, 600x362px) Image search: [Google]
Pacific-Nomad.jpg
58KB, 600x362px
Well, I have been riding daily for the past several months and lost a lot of weight and had lots of fun. Winter will be here before we know it and I would like to keep riding as long as possible. I live in Ohio, so there will be plenty of snow. I currently have a Diamondback Overdrive 29er which has served me well as an entry-level mountain bike. This is my daily commuter. I am considering a Walmart fat tire bike if/when the snow gets bad enough. I have a lot more confidence riding than I had before, so I want to keep up my commute (8 miles/day) as long as possible. Pic mostly unrelated, what I rode for 10+ years until I finally got a new bike.
>>
>>1001130
I hope they shovel the sidewalks, or you have balls of steel. Plows push the snow right into the bike lanes and shoulders, so you've got to get right next to the cars.
Normal mountain bike tires are fine, I've found. Disk brakes are probably better, since you're going to have lots of snow all around your rims. I've survived the past three winters here (Utah) with those brakes though, so they still work ok.
Also, get good fenders - you don't want all that dirty slush going all over your back.
>>
>>1001135
Yeah, my current bike has disc brakes. I can buy fenders too. I ride through mud all the time without them, but slush will be terrible all over my legs during the winter. Apparently there are some people here that can manage in the winter, but this will be my first attempt to last as long as I can. I think the plows will end up thwarting me though. The roads are just not bike friendly at all and really dangerous.
>>
>>1001137
>but slush will be terrible all over my legs during the winter
Oh yah, get rain pants. Work great, and act as a bit of a wind breakers too. Gloves are also a must, though mittens might work better - if your fingers are separated, they can't warm each other, and even with gloves your pinky can get very cold. Those silly covers that go over the whole handle are ugly as hell, but they are will save your hands some pain.
>>
>>1001140
>Those silly covers that go over the whole handle
Got mine stolen in just 1 week. There's just no way to secure it and installing it perfectly such that it doesn't impede hand motion is difficult.

If you get a lot of ice, I'd say invest on studded. Service/regrease all your parts before and after winter. You don't want mechanical issues, it's a bitch to work on in winter. The hardest part is keeping your drivetrain clean but it's essential if you don't want to drop cash on new drivetrain every year. I learned it the hard way.

Store your bike outside if possible, bringing it in means allowing the snow to melt into places and cause rust.
>>
CYCLOCROSS
>>
File: 1.jpg (241KB, 1402x910px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
241KB, 1402x910px
>>1001130
OP, do you still have your crappy old bike?

I've been riding year-round (in Colorado) for going on 7 winters now, one plan that works really well is to have your primary commuter bike set up to deal with rain and light snow, and a backup beater bike for days when the ice and snow is really challenging. This allows you to set up one bike with studded tires (which aren't any fun to ride home on if the streets melt during your day at works), lower gearing than you'd normally want, and hopefully using a frame that gives you a lower center of gravity, and then you don't have to mess around changing anything on your main bike. Also, if you ride a cheap beater when the weather is really nasty, you won't feel so bad about exposing it to faster wear and you won't feel as guilty for not washing the crud off after every slushy ride.
>>
Wear a coat
>>
>studded front, semi slick/small knobbies in the back
You don't really need studded tires to ride in winter but I prefer having one in front as it helps a lot when it gets icy.
>mittens or lobster gloves
>water- and windproof clothes
>dress in layers
Have plenty of clothes you can put on depending on weather. Outer layer should be water- and windproof. Adjust inner layers depending on the weather. Remember that cycling keeps you warm pretty well, especially your legs. Ideally you'll feel a bit cold for the first 5 minutes before you get warmed up. If you feel comfy and warm when setting out you'll be soaking in sweat when you get to work.
>fenders
Can be taken off when you've survived the slush and get to proper winter. There's no need to have fenders when it's just snow&ice out and the weather stays below freezing. Taking fenders off for the proper winter also prevents snow buildup within the fenders which is a bitch sometimes.
>service your bike before winter
Grease up everything, check cables and brakes. Make sure you use grease that won't freeze in the weather you get.
>keep your bike clean
Clean up the shit, snow and ice from your bike regularly. If you allow it to build up there will be problems.
>>
>>1001170
not so true, it's quite painful to ride against cold winds
>>
>>1001215
Did you miss the part about windproof clothes?
>>
File: 4139968818_01d7dcda7d_b.jpg (459KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
4139968818_01d7dcda7d_b.jpg
459KB, 1024x768px
>>1001141

I'd suggest an SKS Chainboard. Should work with a front derailleur but sometimes people have problems with it

And pinned pedals
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.