[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /mu/ think of Ernest Tubb?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

>>
>>75174456
Just listening to him do "Walking the floor over you" on YT - he's good.
>>
Now listening to "Drivin' Nails in my Coffin", also excellent.
>>
Now listening to "Thanks a Lot", that's also excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=troL2Toww24
>>
File: christgau1med.jpg (18KB, 400x266px) Image search: [Google]
christgau1med.jpg
18KB, 400x266px
Live 1965 [Rhino, 1989]

You may never love his amazingly resonant baritone--he always sings flat, and by his own admission can't hold a note for longer than a beat. After nearly 50 years on the road, though, his two "live" albums were applause-added phonies, so this posthumous find is something new. Cut by an engineer friend when Tubb was 51 (not so bad when you consider that he rerecorded his compilations for stereo and full rhythm section in his mid-forties), it documents a show that evolved but never really changed--unhurried, genial, skipping from Tubb standards to chart fare to honky-tonk classics to band features to climax with his first and greatest hit, "Walkin' the Floor Over You." Reliable, reassuring, the man who invented honky-tonk belies truisms about how great pop music is always passionate or urgent or necessary. And sounds weird as hell. A-

Country Music Hall of Fame Series [MCA, 1992]

Snotnoses who think Hank and Lefty make them country fans won't believe how slow, flat, and sentimental the first honky tonker was. And though except for one hymn these 16 selections were all hits, there are livelier and more poetic possibilities that might help dilettantes comprehend his primal unflappability. Then again, so would a quick listen to Red Foley, who wasn't Pat Boone's father-in-law for nothing. Every genre needs an acid test. You may never be the same. A-
>>
boring
>>
My grandfather had a bunch of Ernest Tubb 78 records. I don't think my mom kept them when he died though.
>>
>>75174733
This is an example of Christgau being good, except that "weird as hell" is a last-minute "heh, w-who me, identify with white people? N-no" cop-out. Also, he's doing that thing where you pretend to counter prejudices held by others that are actually your own prejudices. And it would be nice to have a thread about an underdiscussed artist without having someone run to Christgau to find out what their opinion should be.
>>
>>75174837
Man I hate it when /pol/ leaks
>>
>>75174837
>This is an example of Christgau being good, except that "weird as hell" is a last-minute "heh, w-who me, identify with white people? N-no" cop-out
>>>/pol/
>>
>>75174854
>>75174859
I'm on the left, but that's what Christgau is doing there. There's nothing especially weird about Tubb unless you expect him to be Mick Jagger, which nobody listening to him would expect, least of all a scholar like Christgau.
>>
>>75174837
You have a containment board if you wish to start a race war. Please go there and stay there.
>>
>>75175100
>>75175020
Again, I said that because it's true, not because I'm trying to make a racist point. Christgau is pretending to have a reaction he doesn't have because he's a middle-aged white guy who wants to pretend that listening to a middle-aged white guy isn't the most natural thing in the world for him to be doing.
>>
>>75175129
>Christgau is pretending to have a reaction he doesn't have because he's a middle-aged white guy who wants to pretend that listening to a middle-aged white guy isn't the most natural thing in the world for him to be doing
I have no clue what point he was trying to make there desu, this is pretty much your personal interpretation mixed with random /pol/ non-sequiturs.
>>
>>75175248
No it's not, I've read a lot of Christgau and I've never posted on /pol/ or from the /pol/ hymnsheet. Saying "weird" when you mean exotic is lazy, unless it's signalling something, which this was. Think!
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.