[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

holy shit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

File: artangels.jpg (76KB, 620x620px) Image search: [Google]
artangels.jpg
76KB, 620x620px
holy shit
>>
>>75161843
is he good artist?
>>
>>75161843
It's funny to watch people form such stubborn opinions about artists that are still clearly developing. While Claire Boucher has been writing and releasing music as Grimes for quite a while now, each of her releases are their own record and show an artist who's still undoubtedly growing and progressing. If you weren't expecting as significant of a shift in paradigm on Art Angels as Visions was from Geidi Primes and Halfaxa, you surely either hadn't listened to those records or were kidding yourself? The indication that Boucher tossed out a complete record in 2014 should be indication enough that she's still a changing artist. Complaining that Art Angels sounds different that what you were expecting is tantamount to pointing to Visions and saying "this is what Grimes sounds like", and claiming that this record is Boucher "going pop" is like claiming she was somewhere concrete to begin with.

Instead, Art Angels falls short of expectations for reasons besides it being "different" from Boucher's previous work. I'm not going to sit here and complain to you that this album is bad because I like X album better, that's fallacious. Instead, I think that Art Angels doesn't deliver as it should for mostly unrelated reasons, and while I do prefer earlier Grimes albums, I don't like them better because they were different, I like them because they make fewer mistakes than this record does. While I do think that this release's lean towards more easily accessible pop melody hurts it at the end of the day, I don't feel as if Boucher has betrayed me in some way. She can do what she wants, I just didn't think it was that compelling.
>>
>>75161882
My biggest problem with Art Angels is probably one that arises as a result of its complicated conception - I don't think it feels very lived in or complete; it's ironic that the demo of "Realiti" that appears as the CD bonus track seems to me the track on the album that feels the least like a demo. Instead, while production is polished and Grimes' trademark dreaminess that characterised her earliest releases is here given a new 2010s pop sheen, in general I think a lot of the tracks feel more like the nucleus of a bigger idea than a complete one. Her irresistible breakthrough, "Oblivion", was calculatedly simple, brilliant songwriting - to use an example from Art Angels, while I prefer the demo, "Realiti" feels similarly concocted, a song that's been honed from germination to harvest. By contrast, catchy moments on Art Angels are stupidly catchy because they don't have much else going for them - the title track, or "California" are one-trick ponies, songs that haven't been fleshed out beyond their seeds.

You can see it in the number of fragmentary, brief ideas peppered in and out of the record as well. "Scream" is just a chance to show off Aristophanes - imagine how much more interesting having a random verse in Mandarin would feel appearing out of the blue as a break in the middle of an otherwise complete Grimes song? "Laughing and Not Being Normal" is a throwaway intro, one of the only songs that sounds like it sound diametrically opposed to the rest of Art Angels but included anyways. Much of this underdeveloped filler is unsatisfying when we keep in mind how talented of a songwriter Boucher is. I get the sense repeatedly that this record was rushed, that it's Grimes throwing something together in half the time she wanted to have after canning her 2014 release.
>>
>>75161888
(3/3)
The sound of the record is similarly heavy handed as to its composition, and while the Roc-a-Fella money certainly helps Grimes to craft annoyingly big hooks and catchy textures better than she'd probably ever dreamed, the constant barrage of polychromatic pop overload can get overwhelming to the point that I definitely needed an emotional respite longer and more complex than something like "Life in the Vivid Dream". Nearly every song with a chorus seems to want to have THE BIGGEST CHORUS OF ALL TIME and by the four-on-the-floor dance beat arrives in "Butterfly", the kick of the massive hook seems to have lost its effectiveness throughout Art Angels. This is maybe the oddest part of the record's progression from Visions - why would an artist with a talent for subtlety want to make something so seizure-inducingly extreme? Boucher has always been a pop artist, but Art Angels is an arms race of earworms.

Art Angels isn't a "betrayal" of Boucher's "sound", it's a development of roots that were already there, a style shift but certainly not a reinvention as a top 40 artist like some want to make it out to be. That being said, there's plenty of things here that should grind your gears nonetheless. While the refinement of Visions as compared to the first two Grimes albums was a necessary streamlining, the progression here is of a less calculated and thought out nature. Art Angels seems like a record that's half finished, lacking the substance and body outside its bare foundation of choruses and danceability. It's a record that fails to say much besides "let's have a lot of fun", and fails to relent from its singular way of saying it. In a way, it's almost amusing that even on her fourth release, Boucher doesn't yet feel like a mature artist, and even though I wasn't a fan of Art Angels, I'm curious as to where she'll land next.
>>
>>75161843
This album makes me cry.
>>
>>75161896
>Boucher has always been a pop artist, but Art Angels is an arms race of earworms.
>implying it's a bad thing

>Art Angels isn't a "betrayal" of Boucher's "sound", it's a development of roots that were already there, a style shift but certainly not a reinvention as a top 40 artist like some want to make it out to be.
And yet, nothing from top 40 sounds like Art Angels.

>In a way, it's almost amusing that even on her fourth release, Boucher doesn't yet feel like a mature artist, and even though I wasn't a fan of Art Angels, I'm curious as to where she'll land next.
It's amussing to assume that mature = better every time.
>>
>>75162762
This album make me have my privacy invaded and mental health played with for no apparent reason
>>
>>75163782
these rebuttals were so horrible even for your standards, yorubafag

it's like spending time on this site is lowering your IQ every day

you should really take a break
>>
>>75163782
>a huge review of more than 500 words
>he cherrypicks some random sentences (which are completely true) and writes a shitty non-coherent counter-argument

kys yorubacuck
>>
Holy fuck dude. Yorufag's autism is out of this fucking world.
>>
File: Theewhatthappenth.jpg (173KB, 725x980px) Image search: [Google]
Theewhatthappenth.jpg
173KB, 725x980px
>>75161896
>>75161888
>>75161882
Sometimes when I get really tired ill look away at something in my room and ill type without looking. which is what im doing now. so if im not punctuating or spelling correctly, you know why. Im watching some weird commercial playing on the tv (I was watching adult swim last night, and cartoon network is on. I somewhat enjoyh the new teen titans for some reason, so Im idly staring at ta commercial playing directly after the latest episode as i type this.

what i watt to say is, looking at a cartoon network commercial about a kids toy i will never even buy after a bad tv show is literally not even enough to warrant me looking at my keyboard to make sure my response is wel written. that's how little i care about any effort or time you've put in to your response. Art Angels is a good album. it has its bad songs but dont pretend like it's not overall fantastic, half the songs on it are instantly catchy, well made, mmwell produced bangers. go suck scaruffi or however you spell it's wrinkly old dick.
>>
>>75161896
It's her best production to date. That small like interlude in "butterfly" sounds almost like dub techno. Claire is a better producer I think than she lets on sometimes but I don't blame her for releasing pop more money innit
>>
>>75163841
>yorubafag
Literally who?
>you should really take a break
Look who's talking! Maybe it's time to take a break and stop messing around in her threads, autist.
>>75163856
Go fuck yourself.
>>
>>75163928
She actually loves pop music.
>It's her best production to date.
Right. People forget that her primary occupation is producer. Anything else is just secondary to her.
>>
File: 1505427129528.jpg (264KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
1505427129528.jpg
264KB, 1024x682px
>>75163924
>>75163928
>>75163939
>>75163954
Samefag
>>
>>75163969
yorubafag only wishes he was the one blacking grimey
>>
>>75163954
Ok course she says that. But in the back of her mind she must [i]know[/i] pop just doesn't have the artistic or design merits of other genres
>>
File: 1505216035642.png (146KB, 883x827px) Image search: [Google]
1505216035642.png
146KB, 883x827px
>>
>>75163997
B A S E D
A
S
E
D
>>
You guys have to realize that nowadays being a pop artist like Grimes is so much about cultivating a personality. All you know or hear her say might be a carefully constructed personality, style, intonation.
>>
this album made me like grimes . its when she became an artist and not just a meme
>>
>>75163997
holy fuck
>>
>>75164024
Who the fuck do you think you're fooling, yorufag. Lmao
>>
>>75164035
>>75164012
>>75163997
Now this is samefagging lls get a life
>>
>>75164055
>samefagging
>59 seconds distance between posts

You don't know how this site functions?
>>
File: X1GT.png (9KB, 410x128px) Image search: [Google]
X1GT.png
9KB, 410x128px
>>75164055
the gig's up, lads, he got us
>>
>>75164067
Pass users have a lower cooldown period and this guy seems autistic enough to have actually bought one.
>>
>>75164074
>Inspect element
>>
>>75164115
sorry but i'm not autistic enough to think of that
>>
>>75164115
>stanning for yorufag this hard
>>
>>75164131
looks like the biggest white knight on /mu/ got his own white knight
>>
This album is just a mish mash of ideas. Claire needs amphetamines to straighten her ideas out. Just look at Visions.
>>
Pass users should have some sort of identifier so we can know (((who))) they are...
>>75164131
Who the fuck is that lol I just like Grimes and her music
>>
File: wrong.jpg (14KB, 124x103px) Image search: [Google]
wrong.jpg
14KB, 124x103px
>>75163969
Piss off.
>>
>>75164131
>implying yorubafag isn't a nice guy
>>
Yep
>>
>>75164173
They do have it idiot, it's four leaf 4chin logo on their messages
see:
>>>/vip/
>>
>>75163991
>But in the back of her mind she must [i]know[/i] pop just doesn't have the artistic or design merits of other genres
Are you sure about that? She likes Mariah Carey and Bieber unironically. Pop music isn't bad by default. It could have artistic relevance. See Hounds of Love, So, Thriller, Ray of Light, The ArchAndroid, Post, Purple Rain and of course, Art Angels.
>>
>>75164017
Does it matter if her music is so good? I bet some folks said exactly the same thing about Bowie, Peter Gabriel, Kate Bush and Bjork. Great image and great music could coexist peacefully.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.