[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pitchfork is scared

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 2

File: ap copy.png (415KB, 894x630px) Image search: [Google]
ap copy.png
415KB, 894x630px
They clearly didn't want to give this album BNM, so they gave it the lowest possible score
>>
>>75159730
BNM cutoff at 8.2 is the stupidest shit.
Meanwhile some albums with an 8.4 don't get it.
>>
>>75159730

pitchfork is a joke
>>
>>75159746
They've actually given an 8.1 BNM to Migos this year. I think BNM means that its "cool" not that its good. the numerical score is how they determine "good"
>>
>>75159774
In an interview with a former editor for pitchfork he said they gave BNM to albums that they thought anyone would appreciate regardless of its genre, which is why metal albums are the most requent high scores without BNMs
>>
>>75159730
scared of what
are you retarded
>>
>>75159805
Ah, that's cool to know.
I think I remember a Drake album getting 8.4 without BNM and it always bugged me.
>>
>>75159805
this would make sense if they didnt give bnm to shit like the haxan cloak.
>>
>>75159985
swans and prurient as well
>>
>>75159844
Scared of telling the truth. The audience that they cultivated love Ariel pink, so they have to give him BNM even when he doesn't deserve it
>>
>>75160270
yet Pitchfork have been giving below 8 scores to a crazy amount of their Pitchfork-core artists this year...
>>
>>75160270
he actually does for this album though
>>
>>75159730
Wow, they're really going low. In the past you needed to get an 8.4 at least. I think it's a sign that this isn't a particularly good year for music. They've only given two albums a 9.0 or above.
>>
>>75159805
That's insane. I quite like Jiln's Black Origami but no fucking way would most people appreciate it. Ditto for Visible Cloaks (except I hated that one)
>>
>>75160270
The National lost their BNM streak...
>>
>>75160759
I LOVE this album and think the score is too high, especially for pitchfork.
They should have given it a 7.6 at the most imo.
>>
>>75162358
You love it and think it's a 7.6? Does not compute.
>>
>>75162365
Well yeah I'm a huge ariel pink fan but I don't think this record deserves more than that especially if you're going off of pitchfork's standards.
I mean there's plenty of media that I love that I don't think necessarily deserve high rankings.
My taste is factored in to that judgement.
>>
>>75162383
That basically means you have contempt for your own judgement. Music is pretty damn subjective man
>>
>>75162388
I accept that my judgement isn't for everyone. Music is a product like any other commodity.
Perhaps soap operas are my favorite type of television but that doesn't mean that it's the all around best out there.
Also I think Time to Live is by far the best song on the album but Do Yourself a Favor is my favorite.
I also think Hissing Fauna is the best of Montreal album but Big Oil is my favorite.
etc etc
>>
>>75162383
>huge ariel pink fan
Whats your fav album by him?
>>
>>75162404
>Music is a product like any other commodity.
I think that's a terrible way of thinking about art. Really devalues it.

>Perhaps soap operas are my favorite type of television but that doesn't mean that it's the all around best out there.

Why not.

>Also I think Time to Live is by far the best song on the album but Do Yourself a Favor is my favorite.

Those are both entirely subjective judgements so making that distinction is pointless.
>>
>>75162443
definitely mature themes
I LOVE the old stuff and can listen to it for hours but mature themes is my favorite and I happen to think it's also the best Ariel Pink album.

>>75162447
>I think that's a terrible way of thinking about art. Really devalues it.
$$$

>Why not.
Because soap operas may serve a niche more than it serves the whole of the populace are medium.

>Those are both entirely subjective judgements so making that distinction is pointless.

I don't think it's pointless at all. If I were to try and introduce Ariel Pink to some random person I'd show them Time to Live over Do Yourself a favor.

Artists are creating a product to be consumed by the public.
>>
>>75162479
I mean Starry Night is definitely NOT my favorite Vangogh painting but I could definitely argue that it's the best.
>>
>>75162479
>>75162505
I think what I'm getting at here was previously outlined pretty well over here >>75159805

And this whole thread is inspired out of a pitchfork review afterall.
>>
>>75162479
>Because soap operas may serve a niche more than it serves the whole of the populace are medium.
But then the only good TV is soap opera, because far more people watch them than anyone else. Then NCIS is the greatest show of all time
>>
>>75162535
That's what I get for using soap operas as an example.

The point is just because a product that I love suits my own tastes does not mean that it overall suits all these other merits or consumer groups.

A criticism I have for dedicated for instance is that it's a bit sloppy to me but as an Ariel Pink fan I also find that very rewarding and enjoyable though I don't think most will and I do think when he's tighter like on Mature Themes not only do I personally enjoy it more and think that it's overall a bigger success artistically but also I think it's a better product for the market in general.
>>
>>75162573
Fuck consumer groups. Fuck the market. They don't know what's good for em.
>>
>>75162609
Says both a consumer and member of the market.
>>
>>75159805
Maybe it's just cuz metal sucks
>>
>>75162573
Funny how you find AP to be tighter on Mature Themes when he sounds lifeless throughout most of the record. Not to mention Mature Themes has a lot of straight up uninteresting songs on it like Driftwood, Early Birds of Babylon and Nostradamus & Me.
>>
Why is Pitchfork still a thing?
>>
>>75162655
I totally disagree and also totally find that to be a valid opinion.
WOW
>>
>>75162661
Because we post in P4k threads.

Seems too high anyway. pom pom was 8.8.
>>
>>75159730
>8.2
lol Ariel Pink on suicide watch
>>
>>75162667
Yeah, I guess what matters the most with AP albums(which are basically a collection of songs thrown together regardless of consistency like he had said on multiple occasions) is which of the best songs stick with you the most. Every album of his has at least 3 tracks that are top tier
>>
>>75162732
I take everything he says with a grain of salt though I do think this idea that he's "trolling" all the time is such bullshit.
I mean when was Kurt Cobain every being truly straightforward with his intentions?
These big artists are often playing dumb to give more room and appear more genius.
>>
>>75162763
Idk, I think he comes across really genuine on most of the interviews I've watched/read. Never really got why people accuse him of being ironic
>>
>>75162824
Well he debases himself often.
He'll say things like he's an idiot and totally full of shit and music doesn't matter blah blah blah etc and then right after that talk about how he is in fact a genius and music is important and he is a good person.
He'll also say music is totally harmless and then say that people like him are dangerous and should be shut up.
Lots of contradictory things.
>>
>>75162843
source of any of that? to be honest, that's the way i also feel about him as an artist and music. perhaps his opinion is constantly changing but i dont recall to have read about him saying he's a genius or dangerous
>>
>>75162942
http://www.thefader.com/2012/08/14/interview-ariel-pink
>Do you think music is good? I think it’s harmless.

https://youtu.be/a1t6cQO3RXo?t=207 3:27 mark

for my other claims just start reading through a bunch of interviews

If you want to get into the most politically incorrect stuff (imo) i'd say start with the heeb interview
http://heebmagazine.com/chosen-music-an-interview-with-ariel-pink/11209
>>
File: IMG_4863.jpg (87KB, 750x876px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4863.jpg
87KB, 750x876px
well be fine
>>
>>75159730
deserves a 4.2
>>
Most my favorite albums of the year i'd only rate 7/10 because most albums these days are shit compared to years past. That doesn't mean I don't like them, I can enjoy something I don't think is perfect.
>>
>>75162988
Why do you think that?
>>
>>75162967
Well, everything he says is reasonable until I read that last part in the heeb magazine. However, these interviews are from different time lines and it's hard to expect some sort of consistency in his ideas and opinions
>>
>>75163054
Oh gimme a fucking break.
I hope to God you're at least Jewish saying shit like this.
>>
>>75163076
>I hope to God you're at least Jewish
??? how did you figure that out
>>
>>75163106
har har
if you'd like to go into this more we have a discord server here
https://discord.gg/sNNuU9

If you truly are Jewish they'd probably love to have you after hearing me ramble on about you people all the time.
>>
>>75163135
Nah, I'm not jewish nor interesting in hearing some random dude rambling about jews but you seem okay though, maybe ill check that discord server later though
>>
>>75163172
so you're just dishonest
what a card
>>
>>75163177
What do you mean? Im completely honest when I say I unironically agree with what Ariel said in that video and I dont really see how being jewish has anything to do with that.
>>
>>75163252
You implied that you were Jewish and then said that you are not assuming this is the same poster and not someone else butting in.

>>75163106
>>75163172
>>
>>75162479
>definitely mature themes

Fuck the rest of these guys, I'm glad that you know your opinion is shit and shouldn't be counted for anything.
>>
>>75163308
>I'm glad that you know your opinion is shit and shouldn't be counted for anything.

Never once implied that.
>>
>>75163259
i was obviously baiting with the whole being a jew thing because you mentioned it out of the blue and im still clueless why you corelated what i said with being jewish, maybe im missing something here
>>
jfc p4k/ariel fans on /mu/ are faggots

this was album okay. probably his weakest post-4ad release.

been really into scared famous lately. girl in a tree is a classic. same with mature themes think it overtime its better than b4 today
>>
>>75163318
>article was about judaism
>out of the blue
>obviously baiting
^dishonesty
>im still clueless why you corelated what i said with being jewish

I think the only thing you're missing is self respect.

>>75163329
How do you feel about Pom Pom?
>>
>>75163338
>How do you feel about Pom Pom?
has a mixture of some his best post-4ad tracks and worse. I was hoping with that we might actually get a focused "pop" album for him on his next release. plenty of tracks like "lipstick" or put your number could easily have topped the pop charts if marketed correctly
big fan of ariel but i feel like because of his internal conflict we'll never see his full potential even with access to better funds.
>>
>>75162273
Jlin is some of the most accessible footwork known to man
>>
>>75163377
>plenty of tracks like "lipstick" or put your number could easily have topped the pop charts if marketed correctly
I agree and it reminds me of how I feel about this current album release. I think if he'd put more focus around marketing Time to Live there'd be a lot more buzz going on.
>>
>>75163338
>article was about judaism
Didnt even read it, i just skipped to the last part when he said he doesnt care for music and politics when he clearly does. I agree with his views on pop culture and politics though as presented in that youtube interview. It s my fault for not being explicit enough, sorry for the misunderstanding.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.