[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The current state of money and music

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: make-money-with-music.jpg (44KB, 399x301px) Image search: [Google]
make-money-with-music.jpg
44KB, 399x301px
What exactly is the current state of the business side of music?

I am a classical guitarist, I perform for weddings/events, play concerts, and lately I have been composing.

But where is the money in music exactly? I am having a more difficult time justifying the amount of time I put into music. What is the end-game these days?

Music's cultural AND economic value continues to decline. As the economy changes and people spend more time working/going to school, they have less time to spend on music.

Bands and artists come in and out of the spotlight on a nearly 6-month basis. People are so busy they just turn on something catchy in the background. Music is simply not a big part of people's lives anymore, and they are not spending as much money on it as they were in the past.

Thoughts?
>>
Tv and film
>>
>>75159338
this

compose for movies
>>
>>75159338
>>75159408

Isn't that pretty exclusive? You guys are talking about indie films too right?
>>
>>75159323
fat beats

Dunno mate, you have to become the classical guitar guy like john williams, or become the keith jarrett of guitar, improv etc. You should apply for grants for tours and recordings, probably tons in the states
>>
>>75159338
dont forget videogames!
>>
>>75160754
For classical guitar? I suppose good business is where you find it.
>>
Make your own gymnopedies for guitar
>>
>>75159323
>But where is the money in music exactly? I am having a more difficult time justifying the amount of time I put into music
lol
>>
>>75160770
*composing. but no reason to exclude the classical guitar from a soundtrack of any kind!
>>
>>75159323
I have something for you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utqp7ECKUl0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iubDTkT3Y4
>>
You'd make more money in china if you were white
>>
Working/touring musicians are getting fucked harder than ever because the industry execs REFUSED to adapt for such a long time that commercial music is completely dead and stagnant.

The future lies solely in soundcloud hype, which has lead to gross homogenization of music in youth culture.

It's fucked.
>>
>>75161732
so how do we try get out of it
>>
>>75161771
Who knows. Eventually things will change I'm sure and music that labels push into the spotlight will shift from stagnation.

How or when though is anyone's guess. The internet has helped to spread different types of music but it hasn't helped artists make a living. People just pirate it, listen to it on youtube or use a streaming service, which I doubt provides much money to the artist, if any, and rakes in all the profit.
>>
The biggest issue right now it seems is the all but the total collapse of the old record industry. With the growing widespread use of the internet, free downloading took a toll and youtube/music streaming services have become the norm. Things still seem to be in that rocky transition period though.

On the plus side, there's a few tools now available to help gigging/upcoming artists. It seems that YT and other streaming services are starting to take steps to not leave artists as screwed as they have been the past few years.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.