[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tell us about your music /mu/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 8

File: 1488499791183.jpg (1MB, 2880x1800px) Image search: [Google]
1488499791183.jpg
1MB, 2880x1800px
Not your shitty pentatonic jams, but your actual albums, EPs, mixtapes, etc. you have produced. Tell us the story of it's creation, it's success, would you do it again, how long did it take.
>>
I made some beats in FL Studio but they sound horrible so I got rid of them, I'm looking foward to buy a sampler and maybe a real drum set to have a clean sound.
>>
I have 3 albums and an EP. The first 2 albums are dumb MIDI stuff, and the latter two are fake video game soundtracks. The EP was made when I was kind of into PC Music but the production is awful because I didn't know what I was doing on it. I also contributed to an [s4s] album and right now I do stuff for a certain video game music YouTube channel.
>>
>>75154122
Don't need it. Get back on FL and YouTube
>>
>>75154122
A hardware sampler isn't going to sound better than what you can already do in FL. If you can't make it sound good it's because you suck.
>>
File: neverforever.jpg (180KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
neverforever.jpg
180KB, 600x600px
Hi, this is my beat with Kate bush and Ed edd n eddy sounds made in FL studio
https://clyp.it/rgbah3gj
>>
I made a noise album about a week or 2 ago. Currently working on an experimental rock album.
>>
I'm making a Hip Hop Instrumental album but I'm trying to get a Jazzy sound and not lo-fi Hip Hop

https://clyp.it/wcb0ancn?token=99c73febf90daf992be1f7171c3be35d
>>
I've released a few singles so far, I'm planning on creating a full album soon
https://soundcloud.com/user-506448725
>>
I think OP was looking for intersting stories behind albums, not just links to your shit
>>
>>75154689
you're being awfully presumptuous assuming anyone here is a signed, successful musician, most people here are just bedroom artists occasionally playing a local show.
>>
My friend and i are trying to start up a band but we all have different musical tastes i like Jazz, Psychedelic Rock, Blues, Funk, Soul, and couple other stuff but my friend like Indie, Folk, Classic rock, alt rock, and chamber pop do you think this band is going to work?
>>
>>75154096
Do you have anything op?
>>
>>75154793
You won't know until you start writing songs.
>>
>>75154689
>>75154732
I don't care if your a bedroom beat maker or a famous musician. I want stories about things you learned, inspiration, stuff like that. Links are welcome but only if you have something to tell us about it.
>>75154640
This does sound more jazzy than low-fi, did you record the guitar and drums yourself? I like it a lot.
>>75154793
It depends more on your personalities than your music tastes. You both will need to compromise if you want to record ANYTHING. But I have the feeling you will both scream at each other of how shit each others taste are and never talk again. Rise above, prove me wrong. Make it work.
>>
File: gilmour2.jpg (41KB, 780x476px) Image search: [Google]
gilmour2.jpg
41KB, 780x476px
>>75154997
No. I play guitar everyday for hours but have never sat down and tried to make a cohesive project. I REALLY want to though. I'll be getting like 20k of gear for free in a month so I think I'll start the project then. I just wish I had friends to make music with.

>mfw no jam pals
>>
>>75155043
I sampled the drums from the honey-drippers -
impeach the president it's a classic hip hop drum beat
>>
>>75155100
you better use that 20k for good use and buy some decent equipment and pedals.
>>
>>75155221
No I'm not getting $20k. I'm going to have access to that much equipment. I'm moving in with my friend who's rich as fuck and he has a mini studio in his house with hundreds of pedals, guitars, amps, keyboards, drums, etc.
>>
>>75155293
Good luck with that i hope you make a good album!
>>
I've been recording intermediately since like summer of 2014 with a portable handheld recorder and my iphones and mixing each individual track for songs in my computer on reaper. Haven't released anything yet because the process is so arduous and also because I'm too much of a goddamn perfectionist in the worst way. Part of the idea is to create intentional opportunities for unintentional creation, since the process of mapping the tracks' peaks into time and stuff often adds a filter of solidifying a composition that builds and adds upon the original idea and engrains it. Also allows for easy overdubbing of sound effects and random shit that is there just because. I also want to make the album intentionally set out to invoke the reaction of surprise consistently throughout at appropriate times, but to more than anything make it esoteric and self-contained/self-realized. Also since its lo fi there's less precision needed from a recording standpoint since there's a constrained threshold for it anyway, so that usually actually transforms into more creative potential.
>>
>>75154122
all you need to make good beat is FL (or any oher DAW), a pair of studio headphones, a pair of monitors speakers and a rather good ear
>>
>>75155356
Any advice or words of wisdom?
>>75155400
Sound fantastic. Your process is very interesting. I wonder, how does an artist know when their work is finished. Sure you can be satisfied with something and move on. But how do you know when it's really done?
>>
>>75155478
Oh god I think if I ever get lucky enough to get further along that I'm going to indefinitely keep going on and not finishing forever haha
>>
>>75155529
That's the thing. I feel like I have ideas that I could make into a million things. How do I decided when to use what riff with what solo licks, what beats to use with what chords?

I guess we have to search inside ourselves when we make music and look for that deep, emotional response, and if isn't there, it isn't right.
>>
>>75155478
Just have fun recording i havent recorded professionally but its fun to record and hang out with your bandmates and just chill and listen to music.
>>
File: 1505433923546.png (80KB, 500x421px) Image search: [Google]
1505433923546.png
80KB, 500x421px
>>75155608
>its fun to record and hang out with your bandmates

dont remind me anon
>>
>>75155668
sorry about that man :(
>>
>>75155400
>intermediately
intermittently.
さすが・む・
>>
I was supposed to release an album 2 weeks ago but I'm still working on it.

I promise it's going to be good.
>>
File: 1.jpg (135KB, 638x480px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
135KB, 638x480px
i have a cheap strat copy, a 15g amp, a chepa reverb and flanger, a big muff and a old casio synth

i have a noise track with ~100 view but i want to make more experimental noise with tape effects with the pedals aswell as dark ambient with the guitar and synth strings.

im sad to admit it but all i have is garageband and audacity right now ill upload if wanted
>>
>>75156840
no thanks
>>
best thread in a while.
>>
File: noir1.jpg (713KB, 1936x1936px) Image search: [Google]
noir1.jpg
713KB, 1936x1936px
>>75154096
So we recorded and released an EP in June which was a decent enough start, though it didn't move all too much.
The recording process was fast, but still pretty harsh as I was in a bad emotional state for most of it. It took quite a toll on my health for a while as well.
Did put it on Spotify, iTunes and everywhere else though and it's been well received by our small, small fanbase.
The music was inspired by surf rock and 50s americana, though in the end, my then-gf breaking up with me was the biggest influence - so the entire thing ended up quite a bit darker than planned. We also shot a video for one of the songs that turned out pretty well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E0VmobwK2c

The overall recording was entirely DIY and took a month. In terms of advice, two things:
1. Socialize and ask for help where you need it. I couldn't have done it without friends borrowing mics and equipment for us.
2. Do the stupid PR bullshit. I absolutely hate promoting our stuff, but I wish I did it much more when I released the EP, as now it isn't 'fresh' anymore and not as easy to contact sites, magazines etc. to write about it or review it.

Now, and since I'm a total NEET outside of my musical endeavours, I am at the rehearsal space every morning, recording more for what might become either another EP or a full album.
>>
>>75157119
thats actually really cool but the video is a little silly to be honest
>>
>>75157161
Yeah, we were going for a B-movie look/vibe but I guess the humour didn't translate. Thanks tho!
>>
>>75157308
i checked out your song "melt" and really enjoyed it, the music video was pretty good as well.
>>
>>75156840
Sounds cool anon. Feel free to if you want.
>>75157119
Sorry to hear you weren't doing well, hope you're better. Love the grunge-surf sound, kind of reminds me of a faster paced Slint.Don't worry about not making it big. It's rare to have any success this day and age of the music industry. Just focus on making stuff you love.
>>75156778
Tell us moar
>>
I wanted to be a musician as a kid, so I have put together an album between the ages of 10 and 15
The album included
> two songs playing in parallel, Blvd of broken dreams in Winamp and some hit shit banger inusic media player
> track two is All Star from Shrek, but I am murdering the EQ as the song plays
> track three is a stolen remix of Bomba by 666.i felt bad about it and scrapped it
> track four is the "thrill of one more kill" or whatever from SpongeBob, but I tried to make it into an extended mix
> track five is a mix I made for mother's Day school event. I was supposed to mix everything to specs, but I got carried away and the thing got rejected for me being too creative
> track six is a mix in MixMeister. I remember the name of the program because it had an annoying notification every 3 minutes or so. It is a 16 minute mashup of electro trance and house and only 40% of the track resembles dance music and not harsh noise due to mixing errors
As you can tell, I have decided to simply become an audiophile.
>>
>>75157473
Almost forgot
> track 5 is followed by Moby's "lift me up", but most of the song is reversed.
I remember my mom's comparing me to Moby and how I felt really proud.
>>
>>75157473
That sounds like some Jandek/Daniel Johnston level outsider music though
>>75157357
Thanks man, might return to that shoegaze sound in the future
>>75157433
Hey thanks, yeah at this point I plan to just ride out life on the NEET route while making more and better music. What else is there really, right?
>>
>>75157524
if you could combine the surf with the gaze, I would be the first to buy your shit t b h
>>
>>75157524
>just ride out life on the NEET route while making more and better music
youre living the dream my man
>>
i first got a guitar as a young child and became interested in producing my own music instead of technique or other people songs since the beginning as a young child of 7 or 8. i began recorded from early on. whne i was 12-14 i was into nick drake, elizabeth cotten, john fahey, and early 20th century american folk stuff and put out recordings of myself playing guitar directly recorded by my computers internal speaker.

in high school i was into slowcore and emo, as well as first wave post rock, general sad white gut stuff-- especially the microphones and nick drake. made microphones esque bedroom folk/slowore/emo/post-rock.

in college i met people into house and experimental electronic music. also started learning about fluxus, sound art, etc. lived in a house where we would host shows and became connected to local music scene. started producing music for performances and collaborating instead of making music for recordings to be released on the internet. generally explored experimental techniques of creating sounds unrelated to western cannon of instruments or theory.

found a 4track multitracker and started producing multitrack recordings again of more traditionally structured music. some in a similar bedroom folk style to my high school days and some other stuff that might be considered art pop mixed with influences of noise and ambient and art musics.
>>
File: dfafafffaaf.jpg (103KB, 525x525px) Image search: [Google]
dfafafffaaf.jpg
103KB, 525x525px
Made an beat EP (7 songs, 26 minute runtime.) It's some sort of lo-fi ish, dark hip hop with some ambient use of synths and stuff.

I would call it dark night driving music.

It was only sort of a side project that of two three songs that I expanded upon, pretty much produced over a week and a half around march 2016.

Uploaded it to soundcloud, but having 20 followers on soundcloud it didnt garner any attention, which is fine, I never expected it to. It's my little bastard baby. But all in all, it's a small project that I like to listen to when I take the train late at night. Theres something satisfying about having something you've made, finished and then enjoy afterwards. Even though not many others do.

It needs remastering, (some harsh upper frequency stuff, boomy lowend, etc, had a bad flue when I mastered it, I was impatient) but I lost the project files in a hardrive crash so I only have the 48000hz24 bit wav masters to work with.

You can listen to it if you want, but for some reason, winrar archives the songs out of order, but it's obvious in which order they come.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/4by2yvz890bxfqh/K%21M+-+Beats+And+Textures.rar
>>
>>75156840
>>75157433
https://clyp.it/user/gy1iau3b
listen at your own will, its bad
>>
>>75158006
Honestly they aren't great. In Ostritch I could very clearly hear whne you started the guitar recording and hwen you ended it.

But I liked Pedal Failure. It felt too fast though. When you transitioned sounds around the 10s part it felt rushed, idk. Work on your stuff more and it'll be better.
>>
>>75158118
Thank you for listening
>>
File: 91c.png (125KB, 673x670px) Image search: [Google]
91c.png
125KB, 673x670px
i made music that got into a tv show called house of lies
also /prod/ is dead, have this
https://clyp.it/iambblmy
>>
>>75158346
that was pretty cool.

/prod/ goes through cycles between high quality high traffic and shitposting,2 guys arguing about typewriters and drops off page 10 after 20 posts.

Been like that forever.
>>
>>75158346
comfy as hell i love it
>>
I wrote song and it makes me really happy. Can't explain it, I guess the chords and notes are just "happy".

I think I want to dedicate it to my sister. Is that a bad idea? It seems it'd be a nice gift to her.
>>
>>75158346
comfy indeed
>>
I'm currently making a post-rock/dark ambient album right now.
I will typically play acoustic guitar and then add reverb and slow it down,
or I'll play electric guitar adding reverse reverb then reversing it back again with reverse delay while playing a depressing riff
>>
>>75158346
comfy like a blankie
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.