[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Estate sales for turntables

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 1.jpg (38KB, 393x700px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
38KB, 393x700px
So I've been reading up on turntables and as such keeping an eye open at estate sales to try and snag something vintage for a reasonable price. I've not gone to any yet, because none seemed promising, but there's one tomorrow that has a record collection and what looks like a whole set up, turn table, amp, speakers, everything. I'm excited because maybe, maybe, this is a way to get everything all at once; or at least get a good player. There are a few things that worry me though, I thought I'd ask here since I can't exactly ask the FAQs.

First, here's an image of the thing in question. Anything you can tell me about it would be appreciated; I can't make out brands or models so I can't search them.

Second, whats a good asking price for a used turntable? This thing is being handled by a company rather than an individual and I don't wanna get suckered.

Third, is going to these sales still a good way to get turntables? With vinyl as big as it is, I would assume that people flock to them for just this sort of thing. I'm not sure when the FAQs were written but I was wondering if this had changed.
>>
I would not expect to find anything good in that pile of crap.

You'd do better on craigslist.
>>
>>75154510
Why do you say its a pile of crap? It looks pretty neatly organized to me and set up to me, but then again I don't know enough to say one way or another.
>>
i saw the same thing being sold at the good wheel for 20 dollars, it looks cheap feels cheap not worth it. save your money if you want to buy everything at once but you kind of need money in the first place to start a record collection
>>
>>75154673
OK? I'm not sure how you can know that considering I can't make out what brand or model the player in that cabinet is.
>>
>>75154881
sorry pal but it just looks generic. people made cheap chinese shit in the 70s too. its not good just cause its old

Look for Technics, Pioneer, Sansui, or Marantz
>>
>>75154964
What about an Onkyo CP-1022A? I found one on craigslist for 80 bucks and people seem to say its an ok player.
>>
>>75155044
Doesnt look too bad, although id see if you could talk him down slightly.
One thing worth noting is that the cartridge is a P-Mount cartridge opposed to standard mount, which might be an issue if you ever wanted to replace your cartridge, because there aren't many P-Mount cartridges to choose from and the popular standard mounts such as the Ortofon Red and the Shure M97xe arent compatible with that.
That being said, if you just wanna start off with what you can and maybe upgrade in the future, then there are definitely worse turntables out there
>>
File: 01414_iyTaUMuWSXZ_600x450.jpg (24KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
01414_iyTaUMuWSXZ_600x450.jpg
24KB, 600x337px
>>75155417
ok.

One last question: I've been looking on craigslist and found something interesting. Its the thing pictured: Looking at it it looks like a Sanyo Plus Q60. The guy is asking 30 bucks but everywhere I'm looking there seems to be a mix of people saying that they're great and rare.

Do you know anything about them before I contact this guy?
>>
>>75153959
graphic eq is a bad sign, dual cassette deck is a bad sign, overall that looks like a low priced stereo that probably isn't very good quality.

however the turntable may be fine and the speakers may be better than you'd expect if driven with sufficient amplification (JBLs of that vintage, for instance, want a _lot_ of solid state power IMHO, not just a wimpy tube amp)

TT you posted looks fine for $30, buy it and get a new cartridge
>>
>>75155670
Get that. lol
but seriously it looks like a pretty decent turntable and if you dont like it just bounce it for like $100-$150 and have a much bigger list to choose from
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.