[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Eric Clapton - "Maybe Guitar Sales are Over"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

With guitar sales declining, is it possible that the guitar is dying?

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/7957989/eric-clapton-guitar-sales-declining-tiff
>>
File: slc888.jpg (84KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
slc888.jpg
84KB, 800x450px
>>
>>75141464
Did you even read the article?

Guitar sales are declining.
>>
>>75141519
The economy hasn't been so great since the 2008 recession. Derp?
>>
>>75141280
what people don't realize is that not only do older instruments sound better, but you can get them used for 8x the value of a new guitar of the same price. There are millions of guitars in circulation, to the point where you can get almost any kind of guitar you want from a private seller on the internet, so it just doesn't make very much sense to buy a new guitar unless it's custom made. And even at that point it's more economical to just buy the parts from a company like warmoth and put it together yourself, which I'm sure they aren't counting.
>>
>>75141280
oh no muh capitalist engine is running out of fuel

guitar has been part of the classical rep for a long time and this will ensure its longevity.

just because kids arent making the same 12-bar blues horseshit doesnt mean the instrument is dead lmao

typical rockist ego trip
>>
>>75141624
>what people don't realize is that not only do older instruments sound better
This is subjective opinion though.
>>
>>75141624
>not only do older instruments sound better
[citation needed]
>>
>>75141670
>just because kids arent making the same 12-bar blues horseshit doesnt mean the instrument is dead lmao

You're right. This isn't the 70s. By the time you get to the 90s, that bluesy Hendrix shit was already dadrock. The young, cutting-edge bands of the 90s like Korn et al didn't play that way.
>>
>>75141670
Guitars have a huge number of advantages that ensure they won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

>portability--easy to carry around and play
>sex appeal
>you can get an electric guitar to sound almost any way you like
>>
Guitar music isn't dead. There's more than plenty of young artists, Millenial artists, playing guitar music. What old fuckers like Clapton and Gene Simmons are missing is that it doesn't look like guitar music the way they know it. No 25 year old today is going to play like Joe Perry or dress like Vince Neil. That music was a product of its time/generation.
>>
>>75141280
and thank fucking god. as someone who's gone to multiple music stores in my life, i can't tell you the pleasure i'll have not listening to some guitar teacher or guy trying out guitars playing shitty as fuck clapton/bb king blue riffs. absolutely the shittiest music of all time.
>>
>>75141814
Nobody needs Gene Simmons's brand of rock in this day and age, in fact it should stay buried in 1985 where it belongs. If anything, we should be glad young artists of today are more focused on the music than cheesy arena rock antics.
>>
>>75141884
>>75141814
Man, all there is of guitar music today is pudding-cup hipster bands singing about their upper middle class feels.
>>
Opinions on classical guitar tho?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj2E83KWogA
>>
>>75141677
>>75141704
In acoustic guitars this is not an argument, years of vibrations though wood definitely affects the sound, as do things like nitrocellulose opposed to polyurethane. Also, for electric guitars, vintage pickups are widely sought after because of the winding techniques that were used... but I digress, the point is that either way they sound/play much better for the same price as a new instrument and companies even sell guitars that are made to look older to cater to the demand for aged guitars that very clearly exists.
>>
>>75141913
It always seemed to me that Paramore or Tame Impala represented the Millenial idea of rock. If you were expecting a young band of today to look or sound like the 80s, you're pretty dumb.
>>
>>75141995
Ok. Some old fuck like Gene Simmons I'll give a pass, but the dumb 11 year olds on Youtube who upvote Queen lyric videos are...just no, ok? Or the young adults who whine about hip-hop and think Back In Black is "real" music.
>>
>>75141995
^This. Guns'N'Roses aren't coming back and it would be silly to expect 25 year olds in a band in 2017 to do that.
>>
>>75141995
As Eddie Van Halen said, "But I hate imitators. I loved Clapton and Hendrix and Page, but I didn't play like them, I created my own style."

Meaning it's ok to admire the greats of the past, but it would be silly to try and imitate them verbatim and you couldn't if you wanted to.
>>
>>75141884
tl;dr Christgau won and he got his dream of a world of indie rock with no arena antics or silly costumes
>>
>>75142199
In a sense.
>>
Alright, I'm going to tell you all a few things. The arena rock excesses of the 70s through the 90s were made possible because the giant baby boomer audience flooded the record industry with a huge glut of cash that allowed them to afford rock music on a giant scale. Although Gen Xers were a lot smaller generation, the money the industry made during the 60s-70s was enough to keep the train rolling up to the turn of the millenium, but gradually the money dwindled and stadium rock faded; it wasn't economically viable anymore.

What we have now is a leaner, but more grounded music world focused on the actual music rather than thousands of dollars worth of makeup and studded leather pants.
>>
Why was his son so clumsy, guys?
>>
>>75142321
>mfw he pushed him so he could write a really tragic song

Wow that's cynical, can't believe I thought that

>>75142307
Interesting
>>
>>75141715
Korn also didn't play good music.
>>
>>75141913
*blocks your path*
https://youtube.com/watch?v=nC7ii3Ir-no
>>
>>75142400
I thought it was pretty common knowledge now that he pushed him.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.