[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Clash are overrated

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: The Clash - London Calling.jpg (117KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
The Clash - London Calling.jpg
117KB, 500x500px
1. Their political views were cliche and hypocritical: big bad Imperial Britain is a blight upon mankind, we want revolution, T.V. and all things stemmed from the corporations are evil, apathy and capitalism is the cause of the world problems, power to the people etc. Johnny Rotten said it best when he said that they were middle class posers simply echoing ideas out of a Karl Marx doctrine. Joe Strummer and John Lennon have slim to no distinguishing traits from each other aside from the fact that Joe actually came from a political background. Pink Floyd, Lennon and Frank Zappa all articulated these points far more eloquently than they did, and years prior to the band's existence i might add.
2. "The Only Band That Matters", which sensationalistic journalist gave them that title? The Clash didn't even become internationally known until like what...1980? and even then their popularity was as significant as Muse would be today. No one would even know their names if it weren't for the Sex Pistols, and they're generally acclaimed as a response to the social and economical circumstances in the U.K. at the time when most accounts given from the punks who actually there in 1976-78 say that this is 100% revisionism . So many other bands have the credentials to hold the title of the only band that matters, Black Sabbath, Nirvana, The Beatles, and the Sex Pistols to name a few.
>>
3. They were pretentious, academically trained art school hard ons who hopped on to the punk scene as a means of getting known, basically bandwagoners. The most intriguing songs in their catalogue (Guns of Brixton, The Magnificent Seven, Death Or Glory) aren't due to an all in all great album, but of the individual songs alone. In other words, their records contained mostly filler. One positive trait about them however they drifted from simplistic Punk music and went towards Ska, Latin, and Rockabilly, and how everybody called them sellouts because of this, but still stuck with it. This demonstrated their maturity, but they still suffered the flaws of any other typical local band playing in clubs: great attitude, but insufficient content. Overall, they had only two great albums (London Calling and their S/T Album), two mediocre ones (Give Em Enough Rope and Cut the ****) and two terrible ones (Sandinista! and Combat Rock) . Sandinista! had TMS and Police On My Back, and that's it, everything else on the album was dry. And as for Combat Rock, you seriously can't tell me that Rock The Casbah is a good song. In the end, Joe Strummer developed an ego, like most rockstars before and after him, which was responsible for the band's breakup.
>>
File: Folder.jpg (41KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
Folder.jpg
41KB, 200x200px
>>75132665
>>75132671
Yeah, nah
Pic related is bumping
>>
I was with you until >>75132671

The whole "they went to art school" argument is such a weak, quintessentially British classist method of discrediting someone.

You see the same arguments used against bands like Blur, because they were middle class art school kids. The very fact that they came from relatively comfortable financial backgrounds and got a good education might mean that they lack the personal experiences of the disenfranchised, but it doesn't mean that they lack the capacity for empathy.
Furthermore, it's not as if The Clash were writing about being on the dole - they wrote about larger socioeconomic and cultural issues
that tend to effect nearly everyone in a society (though I agree with you that their ideas are by in large re-hashed and uninspired.)
>>
Joe Strummer was always a terrible singer, to me.
Johnny Rotten described him the best, as ''the guttural singer from The Clash''.
>>
>>75132665
You seen the Tom Snyder interview? Such a spectacle of undeserved disrespect.
>>
>>75132665

The Clash are infinitely more important than the Pistols, the Pistols were formed out of a desire to make money by Malcolm Mclaren and they released one above-average album
>>
File: 0000279542.jpg (118KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
0000279542.jpg
118KB, 500x500px
>>75132770 (nice dubs)
The pic you posted and the pic I posted are really the only Clash albums one ever needs. Anything else after that is utter rubbish

>>75133086
The Sex Pistols released THREE albums. Which one do you call "Above average"?
>>
kickass songrwiters though
>>
>>75132700
Please see >>75134277

(BOTH ARE DUBS!)
>>
Agreed.
Everything they were and did was just a product made by their manager just to cash off the wave of punk.
>>
Sandinista has a bunch of cool dub songs and also Charlie Don't Surf.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.