[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how does this band ranks into your list /mu/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

File: Death-The-Sound-of-Perseverance.jpg (223KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Death-The-Sound-of-Perseverance.jpg
223KB, 1024x1024px
>>
>>75121683
They're one of the best death metal acts, and they could do both sounds better than most other bands. They did raw, gorey death metal AND progressive/technical death metal better than their contemporaries.
>>
>>75121711
This. Classic/10 every album is extremely listenable
>>
>>75121683
Death is fucking awesome dude
>>
They have to ruin each song with shitty tempo changes
>>
>>75121683
They did justice to their name
If Chuck wasn't kill I bet they would have saved melodeath from being utterly trite shit since that's a subgenre they didn't work with, but everything else they did is top stuff
>>
Not that high, and if high at all is because of their status as influential.

Chuck's vocals are very weak compared to his death metal peers. They don't sound as vicious nor are they so particularly distinct like Martin Van Drunnen or Anti Bomann's as to be stand out. This ensures that the vocals are not bringing anywhere near as textural nor as percussive an accompaniment as they bring in this form of music. Doesn't help that the dude's lisp got really obvious by The Sound Of Perseverance.

Musically most of the ideas were either very straightforward or lacking the punch such music needs to have. Early Death that is closer to conventional death metal lacks variety in rhythm of most of the riffs being played, and Chuck often just refuses to use chords instead of individual strings when chords would strengthen that particular riff, make it more heavy/intense. Their later stuff would still have the rhythm problem though not as bad thanks to songs like The Philospher's "chorus" section and the increasingly more skilled drummers.

But the most odd aspect of the so called "progressive" and "technical" era of Death is that they really aren't either of these particularly when observing their note choices. Most of the tracks on Symbolic for example have melodies rather than riffs (which in of itself is kind of defeating the purpose of death metal by watering it down.) These melodies aren't that progressive, they are in fact often either arpeggios of simple chords or rearranged scale runs which are played again, usually in straightforward rhythms making the music not feel erratic at all. Harmonically it often ends up staying in the same places as traditional rock music in terms of the pentatonic shapes on a guitar with slight exceptions, very little aspect of more interesting harmonic variation common in progressive/technical music and other death metal. This stuff is barely on Maiden level melodically yet it's considered progressive? What the fuck?
>>
>>75123178
For the few moments their later music does have riffs, it's usually riffing off thrash metal rather than death metal, and not the technically impressive/variety driven riffing either but the generic chug palm muted open notes then play power chord kind of riffing. It amazes me how a band considered progressive metal lacks such creativity in their riffing. Like shit, I don't even like Opeth, that's some flowery stuff, but hell I'll admit that their approach is rightfully harmonically advanced and creative in general. Death offers none of that.

TL;DR Death's overrated boring stuff that's great for beginners who are trying to get into the genre, but they pale in comparison to their far superior peers.
>>
>>75123178
Lisps are cute
>>
bla bla bla, big shit, noone cares for the novel version of what you think of death.

chuck's vocal is great, the solos are all memorable and unique, the riffs rule, it has been a pleasure to listen to all of their albums.

the first two, the raw albums, are easily rivaled by early black metal, although they are still very impressive.

Spiritual Healing is cool, although it doesn't quite have the edge.

and then, the next four albums, are pure greatness. It is like Chuck decided where the new limit of death metal and prog will be.
>>
>>75123325
>TL;DR Death's overrated boring stuff that's great for beginners who are trying to get into the genre, but they pale in comparison to their far superior peers.
Wrote this one for people like you, sweetie.
>>
>>75123389
no, i just don't think that metal should be just riffs that sound kind of cool clamped in a random order for 45 minutes.
>>
>>75123454
Riffs are almost never in a random order in metal though. It follows the same philosophy of one riff developing from another similar to classical music. When this does happen, the bands are almost universally shit upon as wank.
>>
>>75123471
ok, what bands do you consider that much better than death, i will consider checking them out because i am really excited for them easily topping death. you seem to have a very strong opinion, so might as well as share.

if you think riffs are never in random order listen to recent albums that have something about being evil, satan or black metal in the name, and convince me that the guitarist didnt just look at the riffs he had been writing in notepad for 10 minutes and decided of their order.
>>
>>75123555
>ok, what bands do you consider that much better than death, i will consider checking them out because i am really excited for them easily topping death. you seem to have a very strong opinion, so might as well as share.
Morbid Angel's first two albums
Immolation's Close To A World Below
Demilich's Nespithe
TOOH's Rad A Trest
At The Gates' Garden Of Grief EP (came out around same time as Death's Human yet was far more progressive for death metal)

>if you think riffs are never in random order listen to recent albums that have something about being evil, satan or black metal in the name, and convince me that the guitarist didnt just look at the riffs he had been writing in notepad for 10 minutes and decided of their order.
https://darkdescentrecords.bandcamp.com/album/starspawn

First track develops its riffs by progressively getting faster and more atonal then gets more slower/melodic later on, achieving it's variety in riffing using the same foundation of notes that get added upon differently on a riff to riff basis.
>>
>>75123611
close to a world below is actually my favorite death album, if that makes you happier.

Morbid Angel is cool, although the production is too crap, not in the sense that it has some kind of magic in it like Darkthrone.

I'll check out the other two, but I think I'll still appreciate Death.
>>
>>75123664
>Morbid Angel is cool, although the production is too crap
How? It's perfect for death metal. Unlike a band like Darkthrone, the production isn't too trebly, there's enough presence to give it that "hellish" death metal sound. That is unless you're talking about Morbid Angel albums after the first two in which case I agree and find that kind of overproduction to be counter to what works best for the genre.
>>
>>75123696
i don't know, i still think it's great music, i just have to put my speaker on louder than if i were listening to absolutely anything else to hear the riffs.
>>
I love altars of madness but blessed are the sick is unlistenable for me
>>
>>75123767
Just listened to my copies of Human, Symbolic, Altars, and Blessed to test this. There certainly isn't a large difference in their overall volume. I think you're not used to rawer production in music that's also more intense. Like, it's much easier with Darkthrone because their riffs are simple. Morbid Angel's riff/time ratio's pretty high on the earlier stuff so the riffs just wiz past you.
>>75123807
Just curious, why?
>>
File: chuck.jpg (68KB, 350x427px)
chuck.jpg
68KB, 350x427px
>>75121683
All time Favourite DM band
>>
>>75121683
>First 2 albums 9/10
>everything after that is fucking garbage
>>
First three albums were great. Slightly same-y at times, but good none the less. After that it gets worse. Chucks vocals start to gradually get higher from Human and onwards, which ends in the vocals sounding like a Donald Duck impression. Not in a good black metalish way either. The songs themselfs also slowely get worse after Spiritual Healing. The constant rythm and tempo changes really destroy the riffs, since you can never spend enough time with them.
>>
>>75121683
I really like Human, but albums that came before it are solid osdm albums but nothing special and their post Human era doesn't suit me.

>>75121711
they're okay, but one of the best ever? nope.
>>
>>75123178
>>75123240
/thread
>>
>>75123664
>first two MA albums
>production is too crap
do you even death metal?
>>
I love death metal, but don't care for Death. Never have gotten the hype. Vocals kill it for me.
>>
they suck dick and r da mpst overated death metal band ever fuck them glad chuckie died
>>
Chuck's voice becomes grating on me to listen to it for too long. Also they became too wanky later on, although I love Symbolic
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.