[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who's the modern equivalent of Frank Zappa?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 8

File: frankzappa.jpg (63KB, 490x567px) Image search: [Google]
frankzappa.jpg
63KB, 490x567px
Who's the modern equivalent of Frank Zappa?
>>
>>75079633
Deez nuts inyourmouth
>>
>>75079633
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Hkov3QcCpQ
>>
Grimes.
>>
>>75079633
Lil B
>>
Battles
>>
King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard *holds up spork
>>
Ariel Pink
>>
>>75079879
accurate
>>
Les Claypool
>>
Ween
>>
>>75079879
Could be
I'd also throw in Jim O'Rourke, Lil Ugly Mane, James Ferraro, Daniel Lopatin, and maaayyybbeee King Gizzard in a pinch
Although we must acknowledge that there will never be anyone truly like Frank Zappa...
>>
Nobody, since no one seems to like classical music anymore.
>>
Rick and Morty
>>
>>75079951
>I'd also throw in Jim O'Rourke, Lil Ugly Mane, James Ferraro, Daniel Lopatin, and maaayyybbeee King Gizzard in a pinch
You're just being facetious, right?
>>
Zappa Plays Zappa
>>
>>75079691
>>75080005
The days of someone taking you seriously and getting aggravated are long gone, as is this board. Jus have the decency to sage when you're attempting it.
>>
>>75080043
you mad bro?
>>
>>75080012
I wasn't trying to be facetious
I was trying to think of prolific, genre-hopping "innovators" who have dedicated cult followings and a penchant for humor/satire
Sure, they aren't all rock musicians, but rock is no longer the cultural force it once was, so I thought I'd look into hip hop/electronic too
Maybe I'm just way off though
>>
>>75080217
>Maybe I'm just way off though
You are. It's not about genre hopping, as it is about sincerity, proficiency and being different from what you're trying to ridicule. Also:
>>75079985
>>
>>75079691
This, but you chose the wrong album to represent them. It wasn't their most effort filled album.
>>
Ween obviously.
>>
>>75080794
>>75079927
I was wondering why I hated Ween so much
>>
Mike Patton
>>
>>75080813
You won't impress anyone.
>>
Lil Dicky
>>
Some edgy atheist "classical liberal" YouTuber
>>
God guys, there will never be another Zappa. And if I see someone post Mike Patton I will shoot up all of your fucking schools. Unfortunately none of you have a real clue about music so...
>>
>>75081322
nah, very little of his satire actually concerns organized religion, and even so, society 30 years ago was very different from today.
>>
>>75081366
lmao
>>
>>75079951
>list of le weird white people

wew
>>
>>75081468
To be fair, Frank Zappa was a weird white person
>>
>>75081699
>italians
>white
>>
>>75081865
Zappa was Italian?
>>
Young Thug is the greatest musician alive. You could even say he's the Frank Zappa of our generation. He is not just another manufactured rap star, he is a complete artist. He is not someone that is being controlled by a record label. Thugger is singlehandedly one of the most innovative and unique rap artists of this decade.
He is a melodic genius, his beats are experimental, innovative, unique, he isn't afraid to experiment, he is constantly evolving and changing his style. Young Thug, from the beginning, has always pushed boundaries and has continued to make progressive music that others could only hope to imitate.
His voice is an instrument. He wants you to look beyond just the lyrics. They are there just to complement the music, they are an application of the voice as an instrument rather than a medium for verbal communication and storytelling. His voice and his sounds are something that no one else is doing. Young Thug obviously isn't a Kendrick/Drake type of rapper with outstanding rapping ability but he still manages to make better music than them.
His mixtape, Barter 6, is an extremely introspective and personal record. It allows you to better understand the perspective and emotions of Jeffrey Lamar Williams. The mixtape has become a bridge for white youth to enjoy the art of the black inner city and empathize with the likes of Thugger and that is what is so wonderful about art. We are able to see who he really is and understand him. The introductory interview at The Fader Ford shows that he is a surprisingly soft-spoken young man and it gives you all the more reason to care about him.
There was no Young Thug before Young Thug. He is not emulating anyone, he isn't trying to be anyone. He has no influences. When Check came out of nowhere, everyone loved it because nothing sounded like it.
He has accomplished so much at such a young age, can you imagine what his music is going to sound like in 5 years?
>>
>>75082022
he claimed to be sicilian, neopolitan, greek and arabic
>>
Frank Zappa is the modern equivalent of Frank Zappa.
>>
>>75079633
1. John Zorn
2. Otomo Yoshihide
take your pick
>>
>>75080794
>Modern
Ween haven't put out an album in ten years
>>
File: Weird_Al_Yankovic_profile.jpg (60KB, 460x487px) Image search: [Google]
Weird_Al_Yankovic_profile.jpg
60KB, 460x487px
>>75079633
Weird Al Yankovic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VuiBBX6aZA
>>
File: Vektroid_live.jpg (6KB, 267x200px) Image search: [Google]
Vektroid_live.jpg
6KB, 267x200px
Think about it. She's incredibly prolific, she's not released as many albums as Zappa did, but she's on her way there and will continue making music for a long time. she's made serious contributions to a broad range of musical genres and she's helped pioneer more than a few genres.
>>
>>75083909
>she
>>
>>75083990
god fucking damn it every time
>>
It's Devin Townsend you plebs

He's done dozens of albums over a few decades in a bunch of completely different genres. He's worked with various different groups of people but he's always the frontman. His music often involves random juvenile humor. He's often fiddling with crazy scales and arpeggios and classical instrumentation. He's very much off in his own world musically compared to his peers.

The only substantial differences are that he can sing extraordinarily well and Zappa couldn't, and Devin doesn't really get political. And I guess he's not as famous
>>
File: TMBG.jpg (138KB, 694x662px) Image search: [Google]
TMBG.jpg
138KB, 694x662px
They Might Be Giants are the thinking man's Zappa.
>>
>>75079691
King Gizzard would get shat on by Frank.
>>
Omar Souleyman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4R6iFSYDZ0
>>
>>75081366
>>75080845
too late
>>
>>75083888
trips confirm Al is a genius
>>
>>75083812
Only reasonable suggestions.
>>
kanye
>>
File: 1500008924158.png (54KB, 1306x894px) Image search: [Google]
1500008924158.png
54KB, 1306x894px
>>75080813
>>
File: patton.png (78KB, 274x749px) Image search: [Google]
patton.png
78KB, 274x749px
>>
>>75087993
Great looking black theme. How did it set it up?
>>
>>75087833
This.
>>
>>75088203

chrome extension called "stylish"
>>
James Ferraro obviously
>>
>>75079927
>>75080794
>>75083888
>So quirky and funny... Just like Zappa!!!! :) very similar musicians

>>75083812
Only one who nailed it ITT
>>
>>75080845
>>75087993
Despite being just as versatile, his style and approach to music is quite different
>>
>>75084436
frank shat on any rock musician that wasnt him
>>
I saw a Frank Zappa tribute band a few weeks ago and the blonde qt singing and playing trumpet was the cutest girl ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UF0parqDvw

She was wearing tight black yoga pants when I saw her though.
>>
>>75084056
This
>>
>>75090245
That's ridiculous. And if you know anything about him, he wasn't serious 100% of the time. He liked Gentle Giant for example. Who wouldn't?
http://rateyourmusic.com/list/SignalToNoise/and_zappa_said_/
>>
danny brown is the rap frank zappa
>>
primus/les claypool
>>
>>75079633
shia labeouf
>>
Unironically 50 Cent
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.