[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best starting point /mu/ ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

File: swans.jpg (342KB, 980x980px) Image search: [Google]
swans.jpg
342KB, 980x980px
What's the best starting point /mu/ ?
>>
Filth
>>
>>75068226
The Seer
>>
>>75068226
White Light
>>
The Great Annihilator
>>
>>75068301
>>75068328
these and Children of God
>>
>I ALSO LISTEN TO SWANS THO. IM CULTURED THO
>>
Cop
>>
Children of God/World of Skin
>>
How I Loved You
>>
filth

then the seer

their new wave stuff is pretty bad t b h
>>
their first fucking album
>>
>>75068328
This
>>
If you can't handle Soundtracks For The Blind, you're a pussy and you don't deserve music. But The Great Annihilator is where I'd start.
>>
I started on filth, try something from every decade because all their albums are different.
>>
Look on the wiki newfag
>>
>if you want to kill your motherfucking self
>Soundtracks For The Blind
>>
I've only listened to soundtrack for the blind anons, I liked it but not that much, what should I check out next?
>>
>>75069047
Swans are honestly a band where it's best to listen to their most significant releases chronologically as they have a very palpable progression from release to release. I'd say listen to their no wave stuff first. If you don't like that maybe you'd prefer their new stuff instead.
>>
File: Swans_2.jpg (918KB, 3754x3394px) Image search: [Google]
Swans_2.jpg
918KB, 3754x3394px
>>75069047
here you go
>>
There's no definitive starting point, their discography is so varied that it comes down to preference really.

Some highlights
>industrial/ no wave
filth
>neo-folk/ goth-rock
White light from the mouth of infinity
>post-punk
The great annhiliator
>post-rock
To be kind (alternatively "my father.." it's way shorter)
>>
>>75068226
The neckbeard store
>>
>>75068440
kys
>>
File: public castration.jpg (61KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
public castration.jpg
61KB, 450x450px
Don't be a pussy
>>
>>75069721
HOOOLY
>>
>>75068226
There is never a good starting point. Just learn to enjoy music for what it is faggot.
>>
>>75069721
Listening to Public Castration is a Good Idea is a good idea
>>
>>75069721
>Play at maximum volume
>>
>>75072005
>>
I firmly believe that Soundtracks surpasses everything that came before it and should have been their last album. The new material is horrible.
>>
>>75072702
It dosent sound like anything they've made before or after it.
Why don't you like the new albums?
>>
>>75072798
>It dosent sound like anything they've made before or after it.
It doesn't sound much like anything anyone has ever done. I like 90's Swans but in my opinion this album is their best.
>Why don't you like the new albums?
To me they sound and feel jarring. As if they only had a couple of ideas and then stretched those to fill the running time.
>>
>>75072872

I feel like it was intentionally repetitive for a hypnotic feel. Also, as many others here have pointed out, it's Swans doing a Glen Branca tribute, which I like as well. I might be wrong, but I loved their new material, especially The Seer
>>
>>75072872
understandable. I'd argue that soundtracks has a lesser focus than their new albums, since it's trying out so many ideas, still does come together well.
the new records are just a little tighter to me.
>>
>>75072964
Somehow I just feel like it didn't suit them. Maybe it just wasn't what I expected, because I have no problem with Burzum's Belus for example and that album is probably as repetitive as an album can be.

>>75072988
I'll give them that. When I first listened to Soundtracks, I thought it was a mess but little by little I started to get a feel for it. I think it helps a lot, if you actually listen to it as a soundtrack and not as a coherent album. It helps set expectations.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.