[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the best and worst live acts you have ever seen?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 239
Thread images: 12

File: 1504141922508.png (210KB, 359x322px) Image search: [Google]
1504141922508.png
210KB, 359x322px
What are the best and worst live acts you have ever seen?
>>
>best
Sufjan Stevens
dude knows how to put on a show while still making it all about the music
>worst
this opening act for a band I saw in Hamilton, don't even remember their name
their lead singer was this big chubby guy with a terrible voice and the bassist wanted to be the center of attention so bad. the only decent song they did was a cover of Victoria by the Kinks
>>
best:probably Morrissey
worst: by fucking far MGMT
>>
>>75064058
>Best
Toss up between Tim Hecker and Autechre
>Worst
Oneohtrix Point Never. Probably cause I had the most hype for it and it was so disappointing. Seen a lot of shitty edm festival bro acts though.
>>
>best
Sun Kil Moon
>worst
DIIV
>>
Best- Butch Walker. Made a half filled coffeehouse have more energy than a filled arena.

Worst- Desaparecidos. They kept having technical difficulties and throwing fits about it and the weird minute long samples between each song were pretty annoying.
>>
>>75064058
who is that guy?
>>
best: smash mouth
worst: smash mouth
>>
>>75064137
>MGMT
I was really pissed because I couldn't go to a show a while back but then I checked out a live vid and felt better.
>>
>>75064058
>Best
Vulfpeck, BADBADNOTGOOD, Melvins

>Worst
The Avalanches' live show was objectively a mess even though I had a ton of fun. I've never seen anyone that I would say is outright bad apart from some shitty no-name openers of openers.
>>
Best: U2
Worst: Beck
>>
Best: the Hives
Worst: the chainsmokers
>>
>>75064415
https://youtu.be/8YJfXdSR85o
>>
I've only been to a Styx concert and the Lady Antebellum concert I'm at right now. I think Styx was better purely by the virtue of not being Lady Antebellum.
>>
>>75064439
>>75064137
Really? I saw MGMT way back when they played at the US open of surf in CA and they put on a great live show then.
>>
best: Radiohead / Justice

worst: Tory lanes

lip synced almost his whole performance and shouted "HANDS UP" every 2 seconds
>>
Best: Tool
Worst: Phil Collins
>>
>best
King Crimson
>worst
some local punk/garage band i guess, ive been to a lot of house shows and such
>>
>>75064446
>I've never seen anyone that I would say is outright bad

Oh shit scratch that I forgot Lynyrd Skynyrd was fucking awful.
>>
Best: the chainsmokers

Worst: Swans
>>
>>75064058
Best: Tera Melos was my favorite, but I've seen lots of great shows. '68 was probably the most energetic live band I've seen. Would definitely recommend, though they do open for some pretty bad bands very frequently.
Worst: In Flames, by far. Your mileage may vary, but when I saw them (they were opening for Opeth) they had these huge blaring colored lights on the stage facing the audience. Literally all I could see the entire time was giant blinking lights. The band wasn't even visible, not even as just silhouettes. Shit gave me a migraine, and their music wasn't really even that good.
>>
>>75064557
I saw them in Boston it was right before the self-titled dropped. I don't know Andrew was just mumbling the whole way through and about 45 minutes in started yelling,"Fuck this, Fuck you" over and over before walking off.
>>
I haven't been to any that were bad enough to write about. Nothing mindblowing either. Best was maybe RHCP during the Californication tour (saw them on the By the Way tour a couple years later too). As shit of a vocalist Kiedis is, he puts on a very high energy show.

>>75064458
I did go to see U2 with my sister when she lived in Toronto (I think in September 2008) and I was pretty impressed. Not a huge fan of them but I do like Where the Streets Have No Name. Bono didn't rant about poverty or world peace or whatever, not sure if that is just a meme or if we just got lucky, they just played music the entire time. It was simple, unpretentious, and the songs I knew were sounded close enough to the album version, no half-assed shit.
>>
>>75064616
What
>>
>>75064058
The /mu/ meme triumvirate is pretty good live.
Swans/Death Grips/GY!BE
>>
Best - FIDLAR in 2015 on the first tour back from hiatus at a 500 person venue that they had sold out immediately. Nearly everyone in the crowd was really young, Xs on most hands. They get on stage, say "Hi, we're FIDLAR" and dive straight into Stoked and Broke. The entire place went insane.

Worst - Run the Jewels, though it wasn't their fault. They were actually more entertaining and lively than I had expected, the crowd just sucked. No movement, no moshing. Everyone giving my shitty looks when I try to get to the one area where people seem to be having fun.
>>
Worst: Bob Dylan, two years ago. Man cannot sing anymore.
Best: Mark Knopfler opening for Dylan the same night
>>
File: 1503959367420.jpg (31KB, 389x411px) Image search: [Google]
1503959367420.jpg
31KB, 389x411px
>>75064616
What.jpg
>>
Best: Tool concert I saw in their Lateralus Tour
Worst: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3rg4psdHxw
>>
>>75065896
Bob Dylan has the world's greatest racket going.

>charge exorbitant ticket prices to hear some old guy mumble barely comprehensible words
>the audience nonetheless acts like the whole thing is some awesome transcendental experience
>>
>>75064058
best: nobody would believe me if i said it
worst: one of my friends is in a shitty metalcore band, you can imagine how that went
>>
>>75064973
The 2001-02 tour was incredible although the album they were touring (All That You Can't Leave Behind) was trash.
>>
Starfucker was incredibly fun.
>lead guy in drag with sweet glasses
>opening acts danced around in space suits for the first few and last few songs
>homemade wall of lights with custom LED shows for each song
>shooting confetti and streamers out into the crowd
>one of the guys in a spacesuit crowdsurfed in an inflatable unicorn boat multiple times while a drone flew around and filmed the whole thing

As far as worst, I dunno. I think the time a couple of my friends in high school decided to play an Opeth medley at a talent show. They had a video behind them of flowers opening and shit, it was cool but they were like sixteen so it wasn't really that good, even though I was happy they were doing something that the rest of my preppy-ass classmates weren't into.

>>75066074
>best
I wanna hear it, anon. Was it some pop act you think /mu/ would shame you for, or a meme band?
>>
Best: The Roots
Worst: Some local folk punk band my friend was certain was going to be the next big thing
>>
Best: Tool
Worst: Their opening band this past tour, Once and Future Band
>>
Hot Chip is really great as a live act.

They have a separate "for tour" arrangements of album tracks that they actually play on the instruments instead of just fucking around with Ableton like a lot of electronic acts.
>>
>best
Toss up between flatbush zombies and ho99o9

>worst
Probably asap twelvey
>>
>>75065836
Where did you see FIDLAR?
Their music isn't anything amazing, if anything it's mediocre but their shows are pretty damn amazing. Saw them in Austin 2015 and again this year, and they managed to put on a better show which was awesome considering their first show was great.
Anyways
Best - Ty Segall, went to his concert because friend told me about him. Never listened to any of his music but once he started I couldn't be bothered to take my eyes off the stage.
Worst - Tyler the Creator, went to it because it was cheap (I think $15) and /mu/ was hyping him up at the time. Only listened to Bastard and thought it was alright so I decided to give it a shot.
Faggot showed up an hour late, which was only made worse by the 100 degree weather. And his performance was shitty.
>>
>>75064189
Autechre are fucking amazing live

I feel like OPN would have a decent show though. What was wrong with it?
>>
>>75066114
>a meme band?
yeah definitely more in this category for sure...
>>
>Best
Blonde Redhead opening for Interpol. Interpol themselves were mediocre. I'd never heard of Blonde Redhead before that gig and they were amazing live, I think they were promoting 23. Wasn't as good on CD as it was live but they were a neat discovery.
>Worst
Interpol at the same show. They couldn't have made it more obvious they really didn't want to perform that night.

>runners up
Metallica at their Death Magnetic launch gig.
Flaming Lips performing The Soft Bulletin in full. The performance was great but Coyne was clearly stoned out of his gourd and rambled incoherently for about 20 minutes between songs.
>>
>>75066231
just tell us, it's anonymous dude
>>
>>75065896
>>75066033
I was walking past the arena in my town after Dylan had just finished playing, I've never seen more unhappy faces after a show in my life.
>>
>>75066260
i'll give you one hint
JERdk
i was THERE
>>
Best - Phish
Worst - Cake
>>
>>75064458
Hi fellow Buffalo anon
>>
>>75064458
Buffaloooo
>>
File: wolfmother.jpg (19KB, 300x417px) Image search: [Google]
wolfmother.jpg
19KB, 300x417px
>best (kind of a toss up)
Reignwolf, Langhorne Slim and The Law, Robert Randolph and the Family Band, TOBACCO

Reignwolf was fucking amazing.

>worst
WOLFMOTHER BY FAR (2007)
I remember Andrew Stockdale holding a single note of feedback for literally 2 or 3 minutes during the solo on "Woman." They were too hammered to perform, and the only redeeming part was when the vocalist from the opening band ran onstage during their set (also hammered), stole the mic, and chanted "SHOW ME YA MOVES" until security hauled him off.
>>
>Best:

Tied between LCD soundsystem for their reunion tour like last year, got tix for a last minute show at the Fox Theater in Pomona and the place went off. Other is front row tix for Daniel Johnston, The Breeders, and Neutral Milk Hotel at the Hollywood bowl. Daniel Johnston said "any requests?" and I yelled out Speedy Motorcycle and he fucking played it. Too bad I was stoned off my ass on edibles and couldn't properly enjoy it.

>Worst:

MBV but it's not their fault they were having tech difficulties from the second song. Band handled it professionally but you could see Kevin was pissed. Also it was at a festival (FYF) so people didn't know how to act.

Worst performance was Kool A.D. at Low End Theory. The whole set he just said "fuck the police" and rapped maybe like 2 verses. Was funny for like 5 minutes then became annoying, then cringe. Apparently he got in a fight with the venue owner and decided to fuck the crowd over, super unprofessional.
>>
Best:
Melvins
Worst:
Melvins

Hint: I've only ever seen a Melvins show.
>>
>>75064058
He's kind of cute
>>
best: king gizzard, badbadnotgood
worst: the who, phish
>>
>>75066158
Don't usually reply but OAFB is pretty fuckin great live. Weird choice for them to open for Tool especially if everyone was anticipating heavy shit. I guess Tool thought that their fans would be a fan of anything inspired by progressive rock, but a band that sounds like they're from 1975 that references ELO as much as they do Yes, Soft Machine etc. doesn't strike me as something that Tool fans would dig lol. I'm only stanning for them cause I saw them play in a dive bar in San Diego for $10 and it was one of the most amazing sets over, they're ridiculously tight. Not to mention their album this year sounds amazing. Can't see that it would translate well to a huge stadium though. Idk, I would blame Tool for this more than OAFB lol.
>>
best: darkside
worst: macklemore (played at my school)
>>
Worst: Coolio
>>
Best: flaming lips
Worst: oneohpointrix never, or Liam Gallagher played a 15 min set this year at Lollapalooza and was scheduled for an hour before he walked off stage.
>>
>>75064058
>Best
Patti Smith or Stormzy
>Worst
Tony Joe White, I was fucked off my mind and he was playing this bullshit song about a Troll really sloppily and i thought i was having a heart attack
>>
>>75066507
Who is he
>>
>>75065896
>>75066033
>>75066291
I saw bob live a few months ago, thought it was excellent. His band has to be one of the tightest live bands I've ever seen, if not the very tightest. Bob's voice sounded haggard for sure, but still definitely bob dylan. Maybe it was jsut a good night for him but he hit about all the notes you would expect him too on the record, even had some impressive moments of pushing his range. But I cannot stress how great his band sounded. they were amazing. Show went on for two and a half hours, and they played some songs in a sort of remixed way with some different chords and some of them sounded so good the album version sounds significantly worse too me now (tangled up in blue is an example). Idk maybe it was just me but I thought the show was great but no one seems to agree with me.

Anyway,
Best: Converge
Worst: besides shitty no name openers, probably ighlooghost.
>>
I went to TRNSMT in Glasgow this year, was my first concert and festival. The acts were Radiohead, Belle and Sebastian, London Grammar, Rag'n'Bone Man and Everything Everything. So going in with that only

Best: Radiohead
Worst: London Grammar
>>
>>75064765
Been hoping to catch Tera Melos when they come through Portland one of these days. What did you think of Trash Generator?
>>
Best: Comanechi
Worst: Lou Reed
>>
>Best
Chromatics

>Worst
Lana del Rey
>>
>Best:
Primus

>Worst:
Post Malone
>>
>Best:
Death Grips or King Gizzard by far. non stop insanity for an hour and a half

>Worst:
some dickhead signed to Captured Tracks named "Dinner." All he had was a drum machine and a microphone and was rolling around on the floor near the audience getting people to talk/sing. absolutely embarrassing.
>>
>>75064058

Best: Algiers in a tiny venue, that was half full. I've seen a ton of shows and enjoyed most of them to some degree, but this performance was so energetic and passionate.

Worst: Bob Dylan. It was 2010 (I think) and it was a shitty coliseum that's kind of known for having shitty sound. Dylan didn't want to be there, or that's the impression I got at least. People seemed to be loving it, or at least they pretended to. I was sitting back down in my dear about half way through. I know Dylan is notorious for being a bad live performer, but this was worse than i had imagined
>>
>>75068425

Same poster, I just read the rest of the thread and saw that others here have had the displeasure of seeing Dylan
>>
>>75064058

Best: Squarepusher in a small room. black room, White rapid-fire strobes, a bass, and a laptop. Frat dude-bros were up front and had no idea what to expect. Tom gets going on his slap-bass or whatever and doing sick glitchy drops and so on and these dudes are howling and absolutely loving it. The whole small room of a couple hundred people is totally into it and Tom encores the first two tracks from Big Loada. Squarepusher is not my favorite artist but the show made a big impression and was A+. Very gratifying show.

Honorable mention-best: GY!BE on the very night that we invaded Iraq, and I have the dox to prove it (cultural cred here). Sepia-country-road background imagery while they did their Yanqui-UXO-ish stuff. Two quiet encores, one of which was with people moving through the room softly banging this-and-that in time with the piece. I'm pretty sure I saw Efrim smoking beforehand just pacing outside the venue and looking all terribly worried before the doors opened, as you'd expect.

I haven't been to that many real, professional concerts in my life so I can't really point to a worst, or a shitty one.
>>
>best
Denzel Curry at Rolling Loud 17 in Miami. He was one of the few people at Rolling Loud who actually rapped along to his songs. He was energetic and so was the audience.

>worst
XXXTentacion at Rolling Loud 17. Went out of curiosity and was not impressed. During "Look at me," he was literally yelling at the audience to pay attention to him and to turn on your camera flashlights. On top of that, he attempted to walk on us while he was performing. That was unsuccessful so he resorted to being carried by the crowd. He didn't even bother to rap along to his own song, he just yelled "Aye" and all that gay shit. At one point he told the DJ to replay the bass drop because the audience wasn't energetic enough. The DJ was ass too. He stopped the song at awkward moments and shit. Terrible experience.
>>
>>75064198
what was wrong with DIIV?
>>
>>75068535
Denzel Curry is great live.

Super charismatic and brings a lot of energy. When I saw him he rapped the first verse of Ultimate about seven times.
>>
>>75064058
Even though I've grown out of them over the years, back when I saw Mindless Self Indulgence they had INSANE energy on stage and always talked with the crowd and stuff. Great show.
>>
>best
Red Fang. They kicked ass when I saw them open for Opeth. They sounded clear, present, and energetic, the total opposite of In Flames, who also played that night and were pretty bad over all.

>worst
I forgot their name, and even if I remembered I'd never tell anyone because that would give them undue attention. All I know is that they opened for Killswitch Engage and it was just some thrift store Fred Flintstone-looking faggot and his drummer friend fucking around on stage for a half an hour but not even in a funny way. It must've been a bad case of nepotism because I've never heard of them before or since.
>>
>>75066365
tfw I will never be you
>>
What makes a live performance great?
>>
>>75066487
Would you recommend going to see Daniel Johnston? He's playing in New York (where I live) the day after my birthday and tickets are like 30-40.
>>
Best: Starfuckef
Worst: Pinback, by far.
>>
>>75064198
I've heard from a couple of guys that sun kil moon sucks live
>>
>>75064616
Fucccc
>>
>>75066365
here?
this is pretty cool dude...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3fc34EsKEg
>>
File: mspsintcollab1.png (1MB, 1152x648px) Image search: [Google]
mspsintcollab1.png
1MB, 1152x648px
Best: Lee Noble, White Suns, Wreck and Reference, Some Pepper, Lay/Huag (5 act diy show)
Worst: No Age at the smell; they are boring
>>
best: Denzel curry, danny brown, FBZ

worst: 21 savage
>>
I live on a shitty island and no one comes here.
>>
>>75069290
I live in a country with 1.3 billion people and only edm artists come here
>>
Best: Neil Young
Worst: The Drones (opened for Neil Young)
>>
>>75064058
>Best: Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds
I was in the front row and multiple times nick reached out and grabbed me by the hand/sang into my face
>worst: Schoolboy Q
Cunt showed up late, played a half assed show and left 45 minutes in. Apparently he bagged out the crowd calling people faggots or something but I already left at that point.
>>
File: 1504408234574.jpg (7KB, 250x223px) Image search: [Google]
1504408234574.jpg
7KB, 250x223px
>>75069290
how I feel living in NZ
>>
File: 1500326067001-int.jpg (94KB, 1171x936px) Image search: [Google]
1500326067001-int.jpg
94KB, 1171x936px
>>75069543
I know that feel, bro...
Mac Demarco was here a few times and I even saw him chilling out in Lyttleton but I never saw him play.
All he did was just host the local radio show and drink coffee.
>>
>>75064058
>best
Kreator and Vader last friday, was fucking incredible, got a vader shirt too, was expensive as fuck though

Here's a video
https://youtu.be/IqWkFI7StA4

>worst
I was going to a local death metal show and I accidentally walked up in to the upstairs concert room at the bar it was at, payed to get 10 aussie dollars to get in and some gay little indie band was playing, I skulled the pint I was holding, went downstairs and went in to the right room payed 10 bucks to get in again and finally got to the metal show, made my money back by selling some weed to some american couple I met, smoked with them and since it was my birthday the next day they bought me more drinks and a kebab, drove home smashed then drank a litre of asahi, smoked some more and fell asleep
>>
>>75070274
saw that greasy fuck outside Burger King on Courtney Place in Welly surrounded by art thots, god bless him
>>
>>75070809
>drove home smashed

don't do that
>>
>>75070809
if i lived like that i'd have killed myself by now
>>
>>75070840
Yeah, probably shouldn't, It's melbourne though, it's dead at like 2 o clock where I was, literally no traffic plus fuck our public transport or walking around at night, especially not around that area I was in, there's a bunch of african and arab immigrants around that area and you're likely to get stabbed
>>
>>75070885
Why?
>>
>best
maybe Pikachu from Afrirampo

>worst
easily Crywank or Anxiety
>>
>>75070890
take an uber mate
>>
>>75070914
Didn't have the money lol, fuck that shit though, rather take a tram even though they're fucking shit, uber's expensive
>>
>>75070902
you can already imagine the thick weed and cigarette stench just by reading that passage
not to mention dealing drugs and only getting meaningful interaction from the people buying them from you
plus, kebabs
>>
>best
Gallows - back in the Frank Carter days

>worst
Death Grips - mainly because i have wanted to see them for ages and it was a bit of anti-climax when i finally did. The sound was also fucking terrible
>>
Worst - some salty cunt eho sandbagged me for having a good time during his acoustic set at some wanky microbrewery.

Best - probs like NIN
>>
>>75070955
lel, barely dealing, just sold a gram to a couple americans, I met them and hung out with them for a while before I sold them a gram
>>
>>75070958
Gallows 2017
>how you want your band senpai
>JUST
>>
>>75070809
How is that the worst. Sounds lit.
>>
>>75071002
What, some gay indie concert? The metal show was great don't get me wrong but that indie band was terrible
>>
best: jeff mangum solo
worst: sebadoh
>>
>>75071019
The metal gig the metal gig, I remember I saw the kill in melb one night. Git so lit, I got blown behind the bar by some slag, walked about 5 kms back to the hotel and ate a litre of cookies n cream ice cream, spent all next day avoiding life forms.
>>
>>75071182
Kill yourself you waste of space
>>
>>75071191
How so
>>
>>75070973
>having a good time
i'm pretty sure you were in the wrong
>>
>best
Bruce Springsteen
>worst
Disturbed
>>
>>75071182
Nice, what city you from, you catch Kreator and Vader? I saw them on friday, fuckin amazing man
>>
>>75071226
Potentially. Mostly I just think he had poor stagemanship. He was also wearing a fedora and had neat beard, and talked about touring.
>>
>>75071250
Cairns. Na man but Melbourne is amazing for that sorta stuff. So much underground extreme metal there, you'd be crazy to be located anywhere else if you were trying to get into that scene.
>muh band's big move to Brissy
Yeah fuck off dikhed

Last proper metal gig I went to was ages ago. Suffocation and Car Bomb in New York. Good stuff
>>
>>75071324
Fuuck bro, Cairns, I feel for ya, here's a clip from a thrash metal show at The Tote, it's Mason, they were releasing an album that night, was too poor for a shirt or anything though, kinda pissed about that

https://youtu.be/fzzRl7xidMc

Here's the original for comparison
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HtgJJ9PxZY
>>
Best: Nirvana

Worst: Erykah Badu
>>
The best: The Prodigy

The worst: Dragonforce
>>
Best: Bruce Springsteen
Worst: Some shitty Dutch rappers who performed at my high school more than 1 year ago

>>75068305
Lana's voice is terrible in general. Pretentious shit
>>
Boris and Sunn O))) both put on insanely good live shows. Definitely both bands where you're missing the intended experience of their music if you've never heard them live, especially in Sunn O)))'s case
>>
>>75071438
Have to agree with you on Prodigy, Zebrahead are close second best
Worst: IAMX, felt completely disconnected from the crowd
>>
>Best
Super Furry Animals or Blue Aeroplanes
>Worst
Gang of Four at a festival, makes me sad to even think about
>>
>>75071561
Lol the first video I watched from lemon head was about how amazing sunn o))) is live
>>
>>75064058
I saw Reagan Youth like 5 years ago. It was sad. Their bassist broke all but one of his strings and they had no replacements and the guitarist yelled at him the whole show.
>>
>>75066114
starfucker literally ripping of Flaming Lips gimmicks...
>>
>>75071749
>Thinking Flaming Lips did all that stuff first
Poor naive anon
>>
>>75071403
Old ass mufugga
>>75068258
Trash generator is fucking dope and possibly better than patagonian rats, definitely better than xed out imo. I couldve seen them with chon (fuck you, theyre good)this summer but i sperged out cause i didnt wanna go alone.
>>
>best
Probably Weezer when they were touring the White album
>worst
Gotta be Manzarek Krieger (the Doors) with Miljenko Matijevic as lead singer. Guy fucking sucked, but I liked them a lot better with Dave Brock.
>>
>>75064058
>best
The Fall

>worst
The Fall
>>
Best: Show Me the Body, Dreamcrusher, Ween, Flying Lotus, Cupcakke, Sleep, various shows @ mousetrap in Chicago, and Roger Waters performing The Wall live in 2010

Worst: Van Halen back in 2012
>>
>>75071706
>Super Furry Animals
they were always good live

talc on the drums for the orange reality song
>>
>>75073565
I've seen them twice now, lost my shit when they played The Man Don't Give a Fuck
>>
>>75064475
Saw the Hives open for AC/DC, actually preferred their show to the latters
>>
>>75066416
Hell yeah.
I caught 5 Baker's Dozen shows and they were all fantastic.
>>
>Best
Jeff Mangum or Nick Cave
>Worst
Morrissey because he cancelled
>>
File: ANGERY.jpg (18KB, 405x405px) Image search: [Google]
ANGERY.jpg
18KB, 405x405px
>>75064616
i am O U T R A G E D
>>
Best: Roger Waters The Wall 2012. His last tour really had him showing his age and just wasn't that good, but The Wall he sounded just as fresh as on the album. Great visual show too.

Worst: ignoring openers and no names, probably Swans. The sound system was shit and they sounded completely flat. It was a shame because I loved watching them work; you could tell they were really putting it all out there.

Honorable Mention: the opener for of Montreal. in 2015. I don't remember their name, but they were playing a relatively small venue to begin with, yet the opener had placed a pallet into the middle of the floor and played their entire set in the middle of the crowd. We gave them a few feet of space but after the first couple songs the singer gestured for all of us to come closer, basically surrounding this tiny little pallet. The music was okay, but that energy was completely unique to that event.
>>
>>75064058
>best
GG Allin
>worst
GG Allin
>>
>Worst
Morrissey. Walked off the stage after 6 songs.

Best: Morrissey in 2000.
>>
>best
The Chariot
>worst
Van Halen, Santana. Love both but god awful shows
>>
>>75074289
What was his reason, Last show I saw him in Brisbane and somebody heckled him so he stopped. He now never comes here because of that one instance
>>
>>75071403
oldfag here and nirvana kinda sucked when i saw them. kurt was nodding off between songs like a zombie junkie
>>
>best
Ryoji Ikeda, never been to anything like that before and it was really interesting, was only me and some other guy dancing and everyone else was sitting down lol
>worst
Danny Brown, seen him since and it was great but that particular performance the sound was shit and he literally only played for like half an hour. Support was decent though
>>
>>75065836
>500 person
Is that meant to be a small or big number to you? I haven't seen them since their crowds were 10-20 heads.
>>
>>75074335
His voice was gone.
>>
Best: Ray Davies did a set in the acoustic tent at glastonbury and basically just played the kinks and it was wonderful

Worst: The Killers aren't a bad group by any means but the sound was a bit fucked up and the whole experience just gave me a headache
>>
>Best: Mastodon
Absolutely amazing performance. The crowd was wild. It's like the whole audience was a gigantic moshpit.Great musicians, great engagement with the crowd. Also, I'd like to also mention Eagles of Death Metal, because Jesse is a fucking dope guy, and he knows how to talk and hype a crowd

>Worst: Black Smoke of Buddah
Saw them on the corridor of an University. Portuguese Stoner/Doom Metal band. Nothing really noteworthy about the music, and they felt really awkward everytime they tried to talk
>>
I've never been to a true concert before. Who should I see live for my first experience?
>>
>Best
Hard to say because there have been a lot of great ones. Probably Florence + The Machine, though. I haven't been a fan, but the spectacle and energy was enormous.

>>75064189
>Oneohtrix Point Never
Probably this, also because it was pretty disappointing. I love Lopatin's work, but a lot of the songs were chopped up for the live act. The guitarist also kept playing feedback on accident and didn't know how to stop it and also dropped his instrument because he didn't have the strap on properly.

There was also a point partway through the set where Lopatin was trying to make some tongue-in-cheek comments about nobody dancing at his shows, but he had on the high-pitched vocal effect from Animals, and people in the audience were yelling that they couldn't understand him and that he sounded like Mickey Mouse.

Despite that, I'll probably see him on tour again if he comes back next year
>>
>>75068032
me
>>
>>75074900
Whoever you want. My first real concert was Disturbed. As a 13-year-old, it blew my mind
>>
>>75074900
a band you enjoy
>>
>>75074900
who's coming to your area soon?
>>
>Best
Sufjan Stevens during The Age of Adz tour. It was magical and probably the reason that album is my favourite of his.

>Worst
John Carpenter. Not even his or his band's fault but the concert was oversold and the sound was super quiet so I couldn't see or hear anything. A miserable evening made worst by the fact it was on Halloween weekend and I had bought the tickets the previous November when it was supposed to be at a different, much better venue.
>>
>>75068535
Saw him live in Pomona this year. He was super energetic and really positive.
>>
>>75074900
Katy Perry's new tour. She really needs the ticket sales.
>>
>best
The Garden, Denzel curry

>worst
Left brain lol
>>
Best: Billy Talent in 2003

(Ben from Billy Talent was an absolute maniac ball of energy that show. I'll never forget it, the whole crowd was jumping almost every song. Dude had fucking MAJOR presence.)

Worst: In Flames in 2016

(Anders barely screamed, stood basically still, and wore a plaid shirt and baseball cap. Hellyeah was on before them though, and were pretty good. Made the show worth going to.)
>>
>>75074984
i don't think I'd be interested in seeing her

>>75074957
king crimson is coming to Raleigh soon and Of Montreal will be in Asheville

>>75074936
that's tight i imagine my first experience will be something I'll remember

>>75074940
good idea
>>
>>75064189
>>75066229
I remember that Autechre played a one-off show in Chicago a few years ago and got a lot of flack because they had a set with no visuals and low energy
>>
Best: Swans
Worst: HOMESHAKE

Homeshake was insanely boring and Peter seemed like a total dick.
>>
>>75066500
Melvins are fucking top-notch live. I've never seen so many people lose their shit to stoner metal
>>
>Best
Melvins

Buzz has tremendous stage presence, the three musicians were in perfect timing and they fucking killed it. Audience was going crazy, super energetic show.

>worst

Elviss, who were the opening act for a Stone Sour / Murderdolls co-headlining gig when I was approx 16
they got booed off stage
i can't even remember much about them, given that this was 14 years ago. i just remember them being shitty

>not to be confused with

Ellis
another opening act, for Mushroomhead
can't find any info about them online, but they weren't great
>>
>>75075073
>Stone Sour
I saw them years ago. The lead singer was starting that slow song that was all over the radio that everyone hated, and it was just him with a mic and guitar on stage at that point. Someone threw a t-shirt at him that just wrapped around his face. He stopped playing, put the shirt on, then said "Now that I have enough fucking clothes on, can I finish the fucking song?" People cheered and he played.

At another point, he tried to stage dive, but missed, falling between the stage and the crowd where the bouncers stand, hitting his face on the metal railing.
>>
>>75074353
I saw them in 1992 I was 17 and very stoned so I don't remember that much detail. I just liked the misic at the time and have very good memories of that day.
>>
>>75075037
elaborate on homeshake, i'm interested
>>
Objectively the best was probably King Gizzard but I had the most fun at Car Seat Headrest. Honorable mentions to Thee Oh Sees, Fat White Family and Parquet Courts.
I can't really think of any shows that stand out as awful so I'll just say Real Estate because it was boring as fuck although there wasn't anything technically wrong with their performance.
>>
>>75064539
Underrated post
>>
best: The Jesus Lizard

runner ups: Sonic Youth, Mötorhead, Nation of Ulysses, ..And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead

worst: i've seen so many shitty indie rock bands I can't even pick one, but I can tell you the reasons bands suck. number one reason: bad singer. number two reason: bad drummer. pretty much the end - no band with a good singer and drummer is truly terrible in the way bands with shit singers and drummers are. good guitarists are surprisingly common - every band has at least one. keyboards and bass don't matter.
>>
Best - Jenny Hval
Worst - Sun Kil Moon/Jesu last october

>opening ''''song'''' was some garbage poem he wrote 5 minutes before the show started but lasted for 15 minutes straight

Get fucked Mark.
>>
>>75066487
reading that kool a.d story is funny as fuck but yeah i'd be pissed if i was actually there
>>
Best: Queens of the Stone Age

Worst: Crystal Castles. They put in a listless performance and then whatshername walked off stage after 4 songs. The other two guys looked real confused. They got her to come back for one more song then she walked off again.
>>
>>75066033
Dylan is a genius troll. Basically refuses to sing any of his songs the way you'd expect, vocal noodling every song every night, guitar noodles all over the place.

Personally I say go for it, dude is 80 years old and a legend, he can fuck with his audience as much as he likes, and at least it's interesting.
>>
>best
converge. at some dive in san diego. it was amazing they opened for mastodon and were way better than them.
>worst
cee lo at coachella. he was late and he just looked like he didnt want to be there.
>>
>>75075196
There were a ton of technical difficulties and instead of apologizing he got really mad at the audience for some reason. He couldve made the show really relaxed and fun but it ended up really boring. Peter just seemed liked a douche overall who didn't appreciate the fans.
>>
>best
Sting. I saw him on his most recent tour. He's 65, but he still performs like he's 30. Unbelievable energy and his voice is still in good shape.

>worst
I haven't been to many concerts that were true stinkers, but I saw Brad Paisley with my mom when she was really into country music. Pretty he lip-synced half the setlist.
>>
File: 1461923048059.jpg (139KB, 595x595px) Image search: [Google]
1461923048059.jpg
139KB, 595x595px
>>75064616
detel this
>>
>best
greg ginn coachella
>worst
greg ginn coachella
heres his performance haha
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPmuwhnrvFM
>>
Best : Jeff Rosenstock
Worst : Kasabian
>>
>>75075008
>The Garden
my nigga
>>
>>75064539
good psot
>>
>>75075495
huh kasabian are normally a pretty solid live act
>>
>>75075488
Any time an artist pulls out a theremin for a live set, you know you're in for some bullshit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12NRReZKW9I
>>
>>75075506
Saw em at leeds fest and few weeks ago and all the instruments sounded flat as fuck.

Maybe not the bands fault but i felt disappointed
>>
>best
either swans or tom odell, surprisingly
swans' were loud, aggressive and hypnotic as i expected
however, tom odell, who i thought was gonna be a snooze, ended up delivering one of the most passionate, emotional and energetic live sets i've ever seen. if you get a chance, it's definitely worth checking out
>worst
it's hard to choose, but the least worthwhile shows i've seen are some small dingy rock club acts that do crappy hair metal covers
besides that, i'd say depeche mode was surprisingly a massive disappointment, elie goulding was painfully forgettable...
however, the worst show i've ever seen was by a serbian rapper named marchelo
he was performing with a dj, a full band, a violinist and an opera singer, but still failed to make it interesting
in fact, it was hopsin levels of cringe, with even more pretentiousness and an unbearable lack of self-awareness and fun
i'd rather spend a night as a bangkok hooker and get robbed after a long day of getting fucked, than go see his show again
>>
Best: R. Kelly
Worst: Paws
>>
>>75075589
why is Balkan music so terrible?
>>
>>75075589
Saw swan a few months ago fuck me i dont think i'll ever forget that.

And Michael Gira signed my can of Red Stripe!
>>
>>75064571
>lip synced almost his whole performance and shouted "HANDS UP" every 2 seconds
Yeah, this is why I don't bother with rap shows
They literally play the whole song over the PA and the rapper just flails around and screams catchphrases into the mic every few seconds while the "DJ" mashes airhorns and producer tags
Seen both Future and Thug, thinking they'd be fun/crazy and both were among the worst shows I've been to
>>
best: either Sufjan playing Planetarium or PUP

Sufjan is an amazing entertainer and musician, truly a transcendental experience

PUP is fucking insane, saw them play at the Northside Festival in brooklyn this past summer. They were opening for Thursday, but nearly everyone there was there for PUP. Nearly lost my voice screaming the lyrics. The entire crowd was high energy and i was pressed up against the barricade the entire show 10/10 would nearly puke singing the lyrics again

Worst: Nothing opening for AFI

Their set was really good, dont get me wrong, but it was also really short, the lead guitarist seemed pretty drunk, and the AFI fans are total fucking reddit wankers who clearly are not the /shugazi/ crowd. The lead gutarist climbed up the speaker pole during a song though so thats pretty cool
>>
I think any rapper without a band. I just think its so boring for them to be up there basically doing karaoke to their music. before you niggers start to say I hate rap music I do.
>>
saw Ghostface Killah last week and that was great
>>
Godspeed by a fair margin. Just such an atmospheric and unique show, they were all sitting and facing towards the middle and the focus was on the giant projections behind them. Their sound was just perfect, so dense and loud but perfectly mixed. I remember tearing up when they played the first two notes of Peasantry just because of how good it sounded.
Honorable mentions are Sunn (a lot of fun with how theatrical they are, plus that thiccc drone), Swans (obvious reasons, just super intense and hypnotic), Deafheaven (George is probably the best frontman I've ever seen live, you're just affixed to his movement without even realizing), of Montreal (I'm not that crazy about their music but the show was so ridiculous I loved it, their funky stuff translated well live too)
Worst would be some literal who metal opener, there have been a bunch. I've mentioned them before in these threads but there was one unholy djent/nu-metal crossover band with two vocalists who would take turns rapping in screamo and death metal voices over horrible dissonant guitar chugging. Also a fair share of blue-haired art students playing their feminist indie folk punk Donald Trump protest songs at house shows, but that barely counts.
>>
Best: Xiu Xiu
>Saw them play a perfect setlist at a small radio station earlier this year. Sound at the gig was perfect
Worst: Simply Saucer
>3 terrible openers, left after 4 songs cause they sounded like fucking Peter Frampton
>>
>Best
Ministry
It was fucking intense. Industrial and Metal make for a great combo live.

>Worst
Steve Vai
Painfully fucking boring. I got legit mad just listening too it (it wss at a festival. Wasn't there specifically for him).
>>
File: yu pp.jpg (334KB, 952x1092px) Image search: [Google]
yu pp.jpg
334KB, 952x1092px
>>75075625
it's not tbqhwyf
>>
>>75064458
Aw fuck dude I'm seeing both tonight.
>>
>>75066365
i don't believe you but i want proof
>>
>>75064539
nice
>>
>>75075008
you sound like an idiot i know named tony
>>
>>75064415
upvoted
>>
Death grips was pretty good
AJJ was awful and actually had a guy who went on tour with them who would mail fan's "thoughts" to a local senator. fucking embarassing
>>
File: DELET.jpg (43KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
DELET.jpg
43KB, 500x376px
>>75064616
>>
without a doubt the best was the fat white family. liam gallagher was the worst. load of pish.
>>
>>75077620
fuck off noel
>>
>best
The mountain goats. The crowd was very active and the entire thing gave off good vibes.
>worst
Probably Sunn O))). It wasn't a bad show or anything but I had already been standing for 9 hours and the extra 3 made me feel like shit. Also the entire time my ruptured eardrum was making me uncomfortable. When they started I started to get paranoid about if a fire broke out, cause we were on the 2nd story in the front of a packed crowd and we wouldn't have gotten out of there. Then when Attila was doing his chanting the fire alar. Went off and I freaked the fuck out.

But Big Brave opened for them and I thought they were great
>>
>>75077620
saw oasis right before the break up and they were both fucking shite
>>
>>75076080
Did you see simply saucer at Sled this year?? I was considering going but I'm glad I went to Cloud Nothings instead that night, took bong rips out on the street with some friends before and had a good time
>>
BEST: can't really say, but some were memorable:
- Sunn O))), an experience in itself
- Lightning Bolt
- Enablers: Simonelli is just fascinating to watch
- Keiji Haino with O'Malley and Oren Ambarchi: lasted more than 2 hours, Haino just didn't want to quit. at the end they just shut the lights on him but he didn't give a fuck and just continued to play. It's been years and i still got tinnitus.
- Earth
- Les Colonies de vacance: 4 different bands all playing together, always amazing
- clipping. not very well known in my country at the time, so there were like 20 people in a small cellar under a fetish party, but he still managed to make those 20 people go crazy
- Pantha du Prince & the Bell Laboratory
- Tetsuya Umeda
- Islam Chipsy, impressive to watch
- Infecticide: local band usually disguised in insects, cosmonauts or swamp monsters

WORST:
- also Enablers, dude was just too wasted this time, i think he got naked at some point? not that bad, but the previous shows were so good…
- Chelsea Wolfe: extremely shitty sound, maybe i was just unlucky
- Prurient: Dominick Fernow was so out of it, he cut the sound and didn't even notice. maybe that's normal for him, but even by noise show standard it was disappointing
- Diesel Dudes: never heard of those guys, but they were so drunk it was painful to watch. when i leaved after 2 songs, less than 5 persons remained

in conclusion: drugs are OK, but don't overdo it…
>>
>decide to go to punk show ($12 at the door, ridiculous) in Boston with some friends
>venue is a banquet hall
>the show actually starts on time for some reason and we miss the opening act, who i actually wanted to see
>third act is Thou and The Body performing together, and it becomes apparent that the sound will be shit for the rest of the night
>last act is a Crass cover band from the UK with a drum machine

>tried to buy merch from one band halfway thru the show but they ran out of what i wanted
>the Crass cover band is working both tables and suggests i just buy their own merch instead
>>
>>75076348
god i love this Idoli album so much it's ridiculous
>>
>best
some local punk band I've liked for a while now, gig was really intense and ended up going back with them and some other guys and getting really wasted lol

>worst
crywank who was ironically supporting the above band, after his set generic emo girl #20 said his music saved her life so many times and i had to stop myself from visibly cringing

>>75078145
noice selection how was pantha? should be seeing him soon if everything goes to plan
>>
File: 1489699544877.jpg (299KB, 996x954px) Image search: [Google]
1489699544877.jpg
299KB, 996x954px
>>75064415
>>75066500
>>75073552
>>75074264
>>75075488
>>
>>75078938
if the plot twist is that you are crywank, this is the best post ever
>>
>Best: Sufjan Stevens
>Worst: Chance the Rapper in 2017

I saw chance at a college bar before acid rap was released and he was a nobody but he blew me away then, he was a lot of fun with a fun stage presence. I decided to go to a show of his this year just to compare and it was awful. Everybody there was sixteen and holding hands with their significant other. Nobody shut up except for the song with DJ Khaled. Kids would stand as a lookout while one of their friends crouched behind them and sipped a bud light that 3 of them were sharing. Worst way to spend $50
>>
>>75078938
with the Bell Laboratory it was beautiful, the scene was full of bells of all sizes, everyone was perfectly in sync, the sound quality might have been the best i've ever had on that kind of show, with just the right power, and the lights were super pretty and comfy somehow.

now Pantha du Prince alone, the show was visually striking and the sound was also very good, but it was more like your usual electronic show, where you don't see much of what the person on stage is doing and for all you know, they might just be clicking play on their mac. and since it's also not the kind of show that has the audience going crazy, it's good, but obviously not as memorable.
>>
>>75067313
I want the story of this Macklemore concert
>>
>>75064825
>>>>drugs
>>
>>75064198
saw diiv several years ago in chapel hill and zachary was out in the street acting like a fool. kind of ruined the show for me. shitty front man. still enjoy dev-chan's bass lines though.
>>
>>75075650
I've seen Kendrick live and he was amazing. I don't think it applies to all rappers, just the shitty ones.
>>
>>75080947
Out of curiosity how so?
Dope fiends in my experiences tend to be more mellow/low-energy people
>>
>best television
>worst action bronson - show was super bro-core and lame. basically went to drink and talk to girls while my buddies were super stoked to see him. unfortunately there were very few girls at this show.
>>
>>75081018
we were in front of the venue smoking. a few times zachary would come out in the street and yell at his imminent audience members inquiring whether or not if anyone had any drugs. super lame and cringy all around. seemed like attention whoring. dope fiends also tend to cycle through different levels of mania and depression from what i've seen.
>>
>>75064495
SOMEBODY ONCE TOLD ME
>>
>>75070958
u should have listened to the albums at least once or twice before you went so you would have know what to expectn
>>
>>75075023
of montreal was in greensboro this past week hoss. there shows at blind tiger are always shit though and there modern tours aren't that great anymore. luna is playing november and el ten is playing raleigh this weekend. we get a decent amount of shows through here worth checking out.
>>
Best: Mount Eerie

Worst: Hedley
>>
>>75075495
>>75075506
>>75075577

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTwmVSidWiM

looks good to me
>>
>>75064495
The fact that the band keeps playing during the rant makes it sound like a RATM song.
>>
Best: Counterfeit Madison, NMH

Worst: Kaiser Chiefs (note: fuck this band, I was using their crowd as cover to smoke weed and it was just unbearable)
>>
Best: Gigantour was decent (I haven't been to many live shows)

Worst: Queen concert (in 2015 with new singer)
>>
Best: Seu Jorge

Worst: Beady Eye

I wouldn't wish Beady Eye on anyone, literal fucking trash.
>>
>>75064058
>Best
Soundgarden. I'm not even a big fan, but they played the entirety of Superunknown and it was just great to listen to.

>Worst
Rival Sons. They weren't "bad", per se, but they fit an extended blues improv solo in every fucking song. It wouldn't have been so bad if it was their own gig, but it wasn't, they were the opening act.
Tell me if I'm wrong, but aren't you supposed to show off your material if you're the opening act? I don't think they got through 7 songs.
>>
Best: Saw Brand New in KC last year, they were better than I could have even imagined and the crowd was amazing
Worst: Modest Mouse at the very same show. Played way too much newer stuff and the crowd was not into it all, everyone was clearly there to see Brand New
>>
>best
Swans
>worst
Probably one of the many shitty goth bands my sister made me go to when I was young, but of my own choosing to go, Animal Collective. Fuck, they were awful
>>
>Best
Black Sabbath
>Worst
U2

>>75081257
Rival Sons opened for Sabbath at the show I previously mentioned, and they sucked ass.
>>
>>75081534
I think they were opening for Thin Lizzy when I saw them, definitely not the kind of band you want to play slow blues solos as an opening.
>>
>>75069444
When did you see Neil? His stuff with POTR is tight!
>>
>>75075023
King Crimson for a first concert experience is quite a memory. Do it. And go to jazz gigs if you can.
>>
>>75064058
Best: American Football
Saw them right at the end of summer, aside from Mike's pretty apparent alcoholism he still sounds and plays incredibly. Great atmosphere with the crowd

Worst: Jessie J
Holy shit was this a bad performance. It was live in a shitty day long festival I went to with my family, and somehow I wound up front row for this fucking atrocity to music. Couldn't sing very well, her music was trash, and most of the crowd where annoying 11 yr olds. One of the most surreal moments of my life.
>>
Best: Mac Demarco
Worst: Mac Demarco
Thread posts: 239
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.