[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do composers make songs?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1503113239065.png (285KB, 990x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1503113239065.png
285KB, 990x1200px
How do composers make songs?
>>
brain hands
>>
They think up a few noodly-doodlies to play on the strung strings or the dinky tinkle machine and set it to notebook paper (8.25 x 11")
>>
Git gud scrub
>>
Lots of ways

Mozart and Haydn (so during the Classical era) would write the bass and melody first, then fill in the rest of the parts.

James Newton Howard, a modern film composer, finishes his music a bar at a time, all parts complete, and only continues when it is completely finished.
>>
>>75062505
Do they compose methodically according to music theory or just transpose whatever tune that they hum at the moment?
>>
>>75061866
You learn scales and complementary chords of those scales. A major scale has major chords on the I, IV and V degree, minor on the II, III, and VI and a diminished chord on the VII degree. You then start to create motifs (also called riffs in blues/jazz/rock/metal). A motif is a short melodic idea which sounds relatively good and interesting on it's own and forms the basis of a musical composition or one of it's parts. You then use the complementary chords to harmonize those melodies and phrases. Although that will sound ok, if you only stick to the notes of the scale, your composition will sound boring and predictable. So, to add extra tension and tendency you will apply the techniques of tonicization and modulation.
>>
>>75063342

that question didn't really make sense to me.

Say Mozart was humming a tune. He would write the tune out on sheet music, then, using his training in counterpoint, he would write a bass part for it.

Next, again using his training in counterpoint, he would fill in the middle parts.

Modern film composers probably use more of a method of just whatever sounds good. With a sequencer, you can just loop a few bars and keep playing whatever instrument you're on until it sounds good.

Write a violin melody.
Play the cello part until it sounds good.
Play the violas until they sound good.
Play the bass until it sounds good.
et
>>
>>75063355
For example, in the C major scale, you have 3 major chords (Cmajor, F major and G major), 3 minor chords (D minor, E minor and A minor) and 1 diminished chords (B diminished). If you write a melody in the scale of C major, you can use these chords and it will sound ok. A melody's character and feeling can change depending on what chords you harmonize it with.
>>
>>75063342

Everyone operating in the classical genre (meaning film composers to people like Bach) uses theory. The only ones who don't are popular musicians in rock/electronic/hip hop etc, they generally just transpose what they hear because it's comparatively much simpler (not worse, mind you)
>>
>>75063468
>>75063342

Transpose has a specific meaning in music theory. It's kind of confusing when you two use it to mean transcribe.
>>
I want to fuck that anime girl
>>
>>75061866
That's one cute sacher
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.