[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the American equivalent to this album?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: The-Queen-is-Dead-cover.png (163KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
The-Queen-is-Dead-cover.png
163KB, 300x300px
What is the American equivalent to this album?
>>
Modest Mouse - Moon and Antarctica
>>
File: comeover.jpg (146KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
comeover.jpg
146KB, 1280x720px
Pic Related
>insufferably annoying voice
>whiny lyrics
>mediocre instrumentals at best
>ridiculous image
>picked up fame from pseudo suicidal white teens
>fucking boring
checks out i'd say
>>
>>75053365
You sound bitter.
>>
File: b2c57163.jpg (1MB, 1425x1425px) Image search: [Google]
b2c57163.jpg
1MB, 1425x1425px
>>
>>75053365
>>75053758
The Smiths were about more than being miserable though. There were also lyrics there that were socially critical albeit very British.
>>
Probably something by early REM, though I couldn't say exactly which album
>>
>>75053802
musically, I think it's likely that people who like The Queen is Dead will also enjoy 80's R.E.M, but I think it's really Morrissey's lyrics who really make The Queen is Dead outstanding and there's something very quintessentially British about them, so I don't think there's a really good comparison
>>
>>75053311
I know this is probably reaching, but I think some of The Replacements material could be considered a transatlantic equivalent to The Smiths. R.E.M. usually get slapped with the smiths comparison, but I think The Replacements mine a similar vein of teenage alienation and abandonment with their music. The only main difference I can think of is that Paul's lyrics are a lot more vaguer and general than Morrissey's sharp, witty lyrics.
>>
>>75053778
Even then, one of the main points of The Smiths is the humour in the songs, it's all very tongue-in-cheek and witty; rather than being extremely direct he tends to go for lines with a bit of humour in them, like the "I know you well and you cannot sing/that's nothing, you should hear me play piano" line from The Queen Is Dead.
>>
Down Colorful Hill.
>>
>>75053311
that one 21 pilots album
>>
>>75054766
The Replacements are a pretty decent answer anon
>>
>>75054605
I'd say there's a definite Americana vibe to REM's lyricism though which reflects the British themes in the Smiths' lyrics, even if they're far more cryptic and even nonsensical at times compared to The Smiths
>>
>>75054895
Morrissey was really quite good at being at the same time relatably awkward while also being self-conscious about it and also literate and witty - "was" because I don't really think he's been that strong as a lyricist/singer since the Smiths-days
>>
>>75055915
I still think he is a good lyricist, but its certainly as not as consistent it was in his Smiths and early solo years.
>>
>>75055905
yeah, that's the key observation - Moz and Stipe are both literate and relatable in their awkwardness, but with Stipe part of that relatability is that cryptic nature where the lyrics themselves in parts are just stream of consciousness nonsense

sure, you can put more of your own interpretation into Stipe's cryptic ramblings, but there is a lot to be said for how articulate, witty and sharp Morrissey really is at the end of the day
>>
File: MI0000012359.jpg (39KB, 500x503px) Image search: [Google]
MI0000012359.jpg
39KB, 500x503px
>>
>>75053365
These are compliments for a band from a shitty rainy island
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.