[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why doesn't /mu/ never talk about Supertramp?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

Why doesn't /mu/ never talk about Supertramp?
>>
Good band. Love Breakfast in America
>>
Too mom-core I guess. Supertramp have some of the best pop singles ever released.
>>
Goodbye Stranger is a 10/10 song
>>
File: christgau2755.jpg (80KB, 970x667px) Image search: [Google]
christgau2755.jpg
80KB, 970x667px
Crime of the Century [A&M, 1974]

The claim that this is the rock and roll of the future depresses me in spite of the amalgamation being a (moderately) smart one, and admittedly "Bloody Well Right" does display a gift for the killer hook. Now if only the song weren't an impassioned plea for complacency. Maybe if we covered our ears and ignore them, they'll go away. B-

...Even in the Quietest Moments [A&M, 1977]

Most progressive rock is modest schlock that sounds good when played in the background. This is modest background schlock that sounds good when slipped into the ear. I guess we should thank Babaji, whichever one he is. B-

Breakfast in America [A&M, 1979]

I enjoy a hooky album as much as the next guy, so when this one elicited vague grunts of pleasure, I looked forward to listening in detail. But the lyrics turned out to be glib variations on the usual "Star Romances" trash, and in the absence of a vocal personality (as opposed to accurate singing) or rhythmic thrust (as opposed to a beat), I'll wait for this material to be covered by artists of substance, say, Tavaris or the Doobie Brothers. C+

Everything Rocks and Nothing Ever Dies [1990s]
>>
>>75018721
What a cunt
>>
File: 1492517287267.jpg (80KB, 480x392px) Image search: [Google]
1492517287267.jpg
80KB, 480x392px
>>75018721
Why are his reviews so shitty? He never goes fully in to the point on why he does/nt like it.
He likes to shit talk on prog rock while holding some of the most pretentious reviews i've ever read
>>
>>75019058
>Why are his reviews so shitty? He never goes fully in to the point on why he doesn't like it.

All critics in the 70s hated prog because they thought it was pretentious and overwrought and it wasn't basic three chord punk rock or something.
>>
>>75019088
>All critics in the 70s hated prog because they thought it was pretentious and overwrought
They're right. Prog was shit but Supertramp were amazing.
>>
You have to understand that music critics, especially in Supertramp's day, have a very very limited idea of what rock music can be. If it's not simple three chord teenage love songs or rants against the government/capitalism, they did not approve of it.
>>
>>75019110
If that's what you think. I like the genre desu and it has proven multiple times to hold great influences over present time bands.

>>75019088
I have also heard that punk was responsible for the "Death" of prog rock. i dont know if this is true or not
>>
>>75019305
It wasn't. Prog simply ran out of gas, in fact this was quite some time before punk rock even happened. The heyday of prog was from 1969 to 73, by 1974 it was done and bands like Genesis started to move on and change their sound. Too bad Yes never figured this out and decided to ride the Titanic down to the bottom of the ocean.
>>
>>75019088
Supertramp isn´t prog, it´s influenced by Broadway musicals and similar stuff
>>
>>75018452
/mu/ doesn't talk about anything from before 2005, unless it's metal.
>>
>>75019335
By the time punk happened, all you had was buttprog like Kansas, Styx, and Starcastle.
>>
>>75018452
How did the orange juice and plate get through the barz?
>>
Crime of the Century...Awesome album. Love the title track the best
>>
>>75019529
Buttprog. Kek I've never heard that word before
>>
Can we focua on the band, not the critics
>>
>>75019058
that's the nature of "critics" like scaruffi and chistgau. write smarmy little quips to front how wise and uber-tasteful they are. They are narcissistic faggots, the lot of them.

Pretty much the only quality reviews I ever read are on forums like thegearpage.net or sites like allaboutjazz.com

Critics who try to make a name for themselves as "critics" are pure cancer, as are the people that follow them.
>>
>>75019529

all of this is absolutely true, most of the bands into prog started to move onto the burgeoning heavy metal scene especially and some other stuff like yacht rock/soft rock, which leads into...

>>75019349

They weren't prog but all of the pre-new wave stuff was kinda lumped all together by the end of the decade and the lines between prog rock and soft rock and blues rock all blurred together, as evidenced by some stuff like Steely Dan and The Doobie Brothers and all the buttprog, Toto's another great example.
>>
Bloody Well Right has some killer wurlitzer (or is it rhodes?) playing. Hide in Your Shell is another standout from CotC. Supertramp are a great band, too bad Rick and Roger had what appears to be a bitter falling out.
>>
>>75020910

Nah Supertramp was one of the few bands known for using the Wurly
>>
>>75019335
The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway was the culmination of prog; there wasn't anywhere else to go with it from there.
>>
>>75020972
and yet King Crimson continued to release killer and innovative (melding new-wave elements) prog albums into the 80s
>>
>>75019335
No different than the Nirvana killed off hair metal meme. Glam rock was a thing in 1982-85, by the late 80s all that was left of it was a ghost propped up by MTV.
>>
>>75020846
Yes and Genesis definitely went down the soft/pop rock route. Rush became sleeker and more New Wave.
>>
>>75020690
Yeah, that punk rock, it's the summit of tasteful, mature adult values.
>>
File: 1401554586129.jpg (26KB, 525x481px) Image search: [Google]
1401554586129.jpg
26KB, 525x481px
>School
>>
I don't really listen to much rock and even I think Supertramp is good. /mu/ only talks about stuff it can shit on
>>
Crime of the Century is fucking amazing.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.