[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Want to get into jazz but don't know where to start.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 7

File: HNI_0077.jpg (47KB, 396x528px) Image search: [Google]
HNI_0077.jpg
47KB, 396x528px
Want to get into jazz but don't know where to start.
>>
>>75012984
Whatever you do, do NOT start with the wrong recording. It will taint your impression of jazz forever and no one will like you
>>
File: kind of blue.jpg (155KB, 1200x1084px) Image search: [Google]
kind of blue.jpg
155KB, 1200x1084px
Depends on what you want out of jazz. You looking for something specifically or are you just looking for a more general overview?
If you're just looking for a general starting spot, I'd go with:
Miles Davis- Kind of Blue
Duke Ellington- Ellington at Newport
John Coltrane- Giant Steps
Charles Mingus- Mingus Ah Um

and then go deeper into really any of those artists' discographies
>>
http://rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=album&year=alltime&genre_include=1&include_child_genres=1&genres=jazz&include_child_genres_chk=1&include=both&origin_countries=&limit=none&countries=
>>
File: bs&sl.jpg (57KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
bs&sl.jpg
57KB, 500x500px
>>75013470
I wouldn't use this list (a little too avant-garde for beginners imo, and too much fusion), but #2 and #3 are amazing and actually accessible enough for someone with only a little experience.

The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady is the best, though. Always brings a tear to my eye.
>>
>>75013006
fippy bippie
>>
explore albums the best albums of each sub-genre in this order

cool jazz -> modal jazz -> bebop -> hard bop -> avant garde -> free jazz
>>
File: WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT.gif (353KB, 512x505px) Image search: [Google]
WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT.gif
353KB, 512x505px
>>75013640
>listens to Sun Ra directly after Blue Train
>>
>>75013686
the juxtaposition is stimulating for the new listeners brain, and stops the curious jazz adventurer from stagnating in a pool of coltrane triangles
>>
File: chart.jpg (1MB, 1536x2976px) Image search: [Google]
chart.jpg
1MB, 1536x2976px
>>75013640
ill help out and give you one of each

>cool jazz
Miles Davis: Birth Of The Cool

>Modal Jazz
Miles Davis: Kind Of Blue

>Bebop:
Clifford Brown And Max Roach: Study In Brown

>Hard Bop
Art Blakey : Moanin'

>Avant Garde
Ornette Coleman: Change of The Century

>Free Jazz:
Albert Ayler: Spiritual Unity
>>
>>75013711
Yeah, I just remembered when I first heard Atlantis and I was like "okay this is fine" and then the last track hit and I had no idea how to react
Fun times
Granted most people would probably listen to Coleman or something far before the crazy saturn angel dude
>>
File: folder.jpg (707KB, 1583x1581px) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
707KB, 1583x1581px
Very good album for beginners

Basic (not in a bad way) and has lots of melody for you to hold onto, something which a lot of new jazz listeners struggle listening to different albums.

And besides, it's a great album.
>>
i think the ultimate entry level album would be explorations by bill evans
>>
>>75013436
All great albums, but I probably wouldn't suggest them as an introduction point.

Since most people now are coming to jazz from rock or hip hop, I usually suggest stuff that's closer to that in some way. I've converted a lot of people through albums like Headhunters, Moanin', The Sidewinder. Those more driving grooves seem to act like training wheels for people who expect every drum part to have a backbeat.

Not saying that's true for everyone, but I've had better success with that then the albums you've posted.
>>
>>75012984
did this earlier and an anon told me to listen to Monk's Dream which i am really enjoying check it out
>>
>>75013782
I do generally stay away from fusion stuff like Head Hunters for jazz introductions, but otherwise that makes a lot of sense.
Upboat.
>>
File: R-1369056-1279882279.jpeg.jpg (29KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
R-1369056-1279882279.jpeg.jpg
29KB, 400x400px
Hard Bop is the easiest way to get into Jazz imo, more 'conventional' structure, easier to identify the leading melody, more bluesy than modal

Pic related if you like piano led (or more, given it's OP, dominated) jazz
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.