[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can somebody explain vinyl collecting?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7

File: index.jpg (8KB, 295x171px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
8KB, 295x171px
I understandin in previous generations, I also understand that it shows off what you bought with the fuck-off-sized artwork, but I don't understand why people still listen to vinyl anymore, you have to flip the record around, it's harder to skip track and you have to listen to it where there is a record player only. I'm ignorant, I know, but i want you guys to teach me the ways.
>>
I mean, why not collect CD's? They're pysical, most places have CD players and you can rip them easilier to have on your computer/phone/fuckin whatever else
>>
File: 1493670383573.jpg (171KB, 620x413px) Image search: [Google]
1493670383573.jpg
171KB, 620x413px
>>
I'm not a serious collector, but I have a cheap turntable and buy an occasional record. I like having a physical record that I can display, I enjoy going to record shops and finding used records, and it encourages me to continue finding new and interesting music.

Most importantly, it makes it so I can listen to music without the internet being involved. 100% of my music listening before vinyl was through Google Music, Youtube, and Bandcamp. I would get easily distracted and switch songs, bands, browse the internet, etc. With vinyl, I can just put on an album, throw my phone in the corner, and read/study/relax in peace.
>>
>>75004868
Yeah, I'm the same
>>
>>75004865
So thats where the meme came from
>>
When the emp goes off, I'll be the one laughing.
>>
It's the most appealing tangible format out of the rest. For new releases, I only buy the ones I really like, but even then, I first research whether it was handled well (good mastering, pressing etc.). While my primary listening platform is still digital, I still listen to vinyl a lot, while chilling in the living room or whatever.
>>
I don't prefer the sound quality at all, but I love having a physical release to appreciate the art and the booklets and all that, and with vinyl even the record itself can be part of the appeal. It adds a little extra to the experience and makes me feel like owning a physical copy is worthwhile.

That and as previously mentioned when I listen to vinyl I'm forced to sit down and give it my full attention, which is something I should do more often.
>>
>>75004832
>buy a record of an album
>all the efforts put into the physical copy and it looks good n shit
>i can find a download for it easily anyway assuming it doesnt come with a download code (which it fucking should)

>buy a CD
>its a digipak made for like a buck
>>
>>75005053
kek'd and checked
>>
>>75004832
I can make my own CDs, m8.

Also easily ripping them is irrelevant, when every modern record comes with a download code. The only time that issue is relevant is with older and more obscure records - and those albums you either already have, or you were not going to find digitally otherwise.
>>
>>75004773

Listening to vinyl makes me actually listen to the whole album instead of just skipping to the tracks I want hear. I also enjoy the larger, more detailed artwork.

Plus, I'm kind of a sucker for colored vinyl.
>>
File: ELKLPI95130-Large_800x451.jpg (28KB, 800x451px) Image search: [Google]
ELKLPI95130-Large_800x451.jpg
28KB, 800x451px
>>75005378
same.
>>
>>75005053
Hand cranking your record player is the only true way to really experience the music the way that the artist intended.
>>
>you have to flip the record around
oh god minute physical action that's a deal breaker right there

>it's harder to skip track
I have never bought an album where I don't like every track

>you have to listen to it where there is a record player only

Unless I am like 99% of record owners and also have other means of listening to music
>>
>>75005053
An EMP would only fuck over your computer.

Things like MP3 players, hard drives, CD/tape players, tapes, and CDs would be unaffected, as would batteries and generators.
>>
>>75005378
This.
When I have my ipod I kind of flippantly just shuffle through tracks. When I want to be really engaged with music I listen to vinyl. If I want to support a band and actually pay money for the music I like to have a nice package that comes with it.
>>
File: 4vt2ZFkr.png (1MB, 1366x982px) Image search: [Google]
4vt2ZFkr.png
1MB, 1366x982px
OP here, I appreciate all opinions.
I guess the thing for me is that I wouldn't want to sit back and listen, i like to walk while listening (and paying full attention) to music. So digital that I can have on my phone makes sense for me anyway.
>>
>>75004832
CD is literally just digital. Only idiots buy CDs
>>
>>75005745
Get a treadmill.
>>
File: dj.jpg (207KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
dj.jpg
207KB, 800x533px
To be a sick DJ like it's still the mid 00s obviously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juoRdXKO2go
>>
A large percentage of vinyl records produced in the past decade are created from their CD Red Book audio 16-bit digital masters.

People are literally paying $25-40 for vinyl albums that are either the same or worse than their CD versions.

24-bit uncompressed digital is where its at.
>>
>Buy an album off bandcamp for $20
>Sell it for $200

That's why a lot of people are into it
>>
>>75005323
Not to mention that certain turntables come with the USB output for converting the record's tracks into audio files (ex. Audio Technica's AT LP120)
>>
Meme or not the fad of this
but listening to TV&N in vinyl with full attention to the music must be pretty sick
>>
Im just trying to be cool and impress my friends.
>>
File: 1279592389775.png (362KB, 375x599px) Image search: [Google]
1279592389775.png
362KB, 375x599px
>>75005467
>An EMP would only fuck over your computer.
>Things like MP3 players, hard drives, CD/tape players, tapes, and CDs would be unaffected

You have no idea what you're talking about, do you?
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.