[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

keyboard

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

Why not always transpose to C major? you can still use the black keys as you need/need/like but will have way more practice in this layout, also, this may not help you develop perfect pitch, but you will always be able to rely in relative pitch, and finding notes with ease using the intervals

so, Why not?
>>
im not sure i even understand what you mean but ill humor you

if you're working with a singer chances are they're gonna want to try different keys besides c major to get the best one for their voice
>>
well if you're performing with vocalists, they might have a tessitura that benefits certain keys
or, if you're performing with a violin, you might want to make use of their resonant open strings by having a piece in G or D major
or, if you're performing with a clarinet, trumpet, or tenor sax, you might want to put the piece in Bb so it's easier for them
or maybe you just want the low A to be the tonic
>>
>>74970104
>>74970127
well, then wouldn`t I be able to simple change the transpose to -2, +5 or whatever and get the same results?
>>
>>74970165
technically yes, because equal temperament makes all keys sound the same, but music is often composed with the range of instruments in mind, and this includes solo piano repertoire as well.
say you have a piece in F minor and the melody is sombre and is mostly within the octave between the F below middle C and the F above it for that darkened lower register. now you COULD transpose this to C minor, however if you transpose it so the tonic is middle C you will probably make it sound brighter as it uses the higher register and if you transpose it to the C below, it might sound too muddy especially with the accompaniment.
you could probably get away with putting it in E or G minor though, provided there's no tricky part that really only works in F, like a weird run or arpeggio
>>
>>74970461
I see, that does makes sense
But I was think more about using the transpose function built-in most keyboards, so the "C" becomes an "F"
wouldn`t I be able to keep the original sombre this way? since, essentially, all the notes and intervals, will stick to the original (as sound, not as "key-press")
>>
>>74970019
this is in fact how people used keyboards in the days before well-temperament, nobody wrote for retard-tier keys like F#
>>
>>74970613
you could I guess yeah
>>
>>74970613
this becomes very cumbersome when playing something that modulates a lot
also C isn't always he easiest key to play, technically speaking. different keys allow for different effects, to a certain degree
>>
Elaborate please. "But will have way more practice in this layout" is incoherent, and just sounds like pure laziness. If you have a good ear, you'll be able to discern intervals/chords no matter what key you're listening to or playing in.

Other posters are correct in pointing out the physical limitations of instruments/voices. There is a lowest possible note on any given instrument. Vocalists are more comfortable in some keys.

Also why the absolute fuck would you want to LIMIT the space of all possible expression, either as a composer or a performer?
>>
>>74971538
That`s interesting, never heard of this before, will look more into that

>>74971655
"also C isn't always he easiest key to play, technically speaking. different keys allow for different effects, to a certain degree"

I did some research, but found nothing that answered me so well, Thanks buddy

>>74971689
I was basically guessing, "is it worth being a one tricky pony, in exchange to know this tricky really well, since you would practice it a few times more?" if so, why wouldn`t more people do this? I knew there was a reason, just couldn`t find it

The thing about different key = different effects nails it down though, Thanks guys
>>
>>74970019

Because if you happen to be a composer and work with lets say a female vocalist, you'll mostly give her the D.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcYppAs6ZdI
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.