[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

thoughts on this masterpiece?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 8

File: cover.jpg (244KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
244KB, 1000x1000px
thoughts on this masterpiece?
>>
It literally has 2 good songs, but it is the best thing she ever did.
>>
one of top10 albums of the decade
>>
>>74956748
I had first heard of Grimes because of this album I checked it out because the artwork looked like it was going to be a noisy Japanese hardcore album. I have a good memory associated with this album too
>>
It's the only album that has vocals that's in my top 100 album of all time.
>>
File: IMG_2907.png (96KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2907.png
96KB, 300x300px
Best Grimes album until you hear Geidi Primes and Halfaxa
>>
>>74956938
You must be very deep.
>>
>>74956763
less extreme version of this basically, I think it has like five good songs and then I skip through the rest vs. Art Angels which is actually a consistent album but doesn't have Oblivion
>>
I COULD LISTEN TO GENESIS ALL DAY EVERY DAY FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE
>>
>>74956763
>implying most other songs aren't as good as genesis and oblivion
>not liking at least be a body, circumambient, nightmusic, skin and symphonia ix
>>
>>74957167
That song extremely well made. She's insanely talented.
>>
>>74956748
i think that you should kill yourself
>>
>>74957167
This
>>
>>74956748
Checked it out because you faggots wouldn't stop banging on about it. It's pretty good, but I don't get the hype at all.
>>
>>74956748

Even though Grimesfags are the worst shitters ever, this album is really solid.
>>
halfaxa will always be her best work
>>
Mediocre synthpop for people who don't know any better.
>>
>>74957549
You don't get the hype because you didn't listen to it enough times. This album is a massive grower. It's really rewarding in the long run. Become familiar with it and you'll see the hype clearly.
>>
>>74959731
What is good synthpop in your opinion?
>>
>>74959720
Did they trigger you so much? Why do you insult your fellow board users?
>>
File: grimes.jpg (65KB, 808x600px) Image search: [Google]
grimes.jpg
65KB, 808x600px
>"Infinite Without Fulfillment"
>"Genesis"
>"Oblivion"
>"Eight"
>"Circumambient"
>"Vowels = Space and Time"
>"Visiting Statue"
>"Be a Body (侘寂)"
>"Colour of Moonlight (Antiochus)" (featuring Doldrums)
>"Symphonia IX (My Wait Is U)"
>"Nightmusic" (featuring Majical Cloudz)
>"Skin"
>"Know the Way (Outro)"

for me it is 10/10 as two weakest songs are under 2 minutes in length and they are still memorable in their own way
>>
I wish Grimes would go back to top-tier witch-house :(
>>
>>74960001
For me both Symphonia IX and Nightmusic are 10/10. They grew up on me so much.
>>
>>74960025
being top tier at witch-house isn't saying much, but grimes indeed made more good songs than the rest of genre combined.
>>
>>74960174
I just wanted to make distinction. I think the album is rock solids and grimes ability to avoid fillers is her most astonishing feature.
>>
>>74960025
>>74960181
not gonna happen. she's not stupid to repeat her old albums/style and become irrelevant. all great artists (like her) try to bring something new to table, not to retread old ground.
>>
I don't get it>>74960272
>>
>>74960269
I was surpirsed by how good are even the short songs. They're not fillers and they could stand out on their own. Few artists are able to much such consistent albums.
>>
>>74956763
this
>>
>>74959846
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JEJpmDUMKco
>>
I never payed attention to her back then
>>
>>74960272
yeah but the direction in which she's headed kind of sucks.
>>
>>74960408
She made social media message like month ago that she started to regard her own earlier stuff more and that she is looking into making experimental music again. It is not so uncommon to get your music skills up and get back to your roots. I also imagine it is very easy to hit a wall with pop music.
>>
>>74960368
that's a pretty weak song. i least you could have picked 'age of consent' or 'your silent face'. visions > power, corruption and lies. visions is also far more innovative and beautiful.
>>
>>74960920
I didn't ask
>>
>>74960920
How the fuck is Visions innovative and especially more innovative than New Order?
>>
>>74956748
her best so far
>>
>>74956953
Halfaxa is better artistically but not everyone can understand it
>>
>>74959759
What? The delusional hype that she's somehow massively innovative? If that was the case, you'd notice straight away, not after a few listens.
As it stands, she's producing standard contemporary synthpop with some retro thrown in.
>>
>>74960966
new order just continued what kraftwerk started. grimes created her brand of synthpop by adding idm, medieval, classical, dreampop, new age and industrial influences. new order sound like any other 80s synthpop band (thl, dm, omd, yazoo, etc) grimes sound like nothing else.
>>
>>74961179
>If that was the case, you'd notice straight away, not after a few listens.
Visions is like Loveless: innovative albums that require more listens to fully appreciate them.
>As it stands, she's producing standard contemporary synthpop with some retro thrown in.
Like whom? Who else did albums like Visions? Who else did song like Circumambient, Eight, Colour of Moonlight, Be a Body, Visiting Statue to name a few?
>>
>>74961203
You are mistaking artistic innovation with artistic eccentricity.

Loveless was innovative not only because kevin shields was doing something that hadnt been quite done before with that level of commitment. Many experimented with alternate tunnings and delay and whammy stuff but no one did all of it building an entire sound around it to the degree he did. And it sounded good or at least was interesting, and most people would agree on at least one of those.

Visions really did nothing new, but was built around a certain sound in a very unique way. And it doesnt matter if her sound builds on certain scene going on during those years and on a way to use samplers live (which she has now abandoned, it seems, in favour of dancing), it was something original with mainstream appeal.
>>
>>74961525
You're just a pretentious hipster talking nonsense. Innovation is innovation, no matter what you want to believe. Loveless was innovative in shoegaze/alternative rock, Visions in synthpop/electropop. Anything else is just blah blah blah.
>Visions really did nothing new
Completely wrong. The fact that all her naysayers struggle to come up with a decent similar album to it further enforces that. Visions was a breath of fresh air in synthpop and a landmark of this decade. This album's reputation will grow up tremedously in the future. Exactly what happened to Loveless. You'll see plenty of musicians in the future referencing her entire work.
>>
>>74961807
>Visions was a breath of fresh air in synthpop
You are agreeing with me
loveless defined a growning, and rapidly change genre for the future. no matter what, loveless is THE shoegaze album

visions was just another synthpop album, albeit a very good one on a rather stagnant genre. Grimes actually innovative album was Halfaxa but unlike visions, it wasnt accessible to casual listeners.
>>
>>74961180
new order created alternative dance and pretty much dance-rock as a genre. Grimes combined a bunch of sub-genres and has yet to influence anything, and still sounds like most other synthpop bands.

And most 80s synthpop bands sound like New Order, not the other way around.
>>
>>74961884
>visions was just another synthpop album
It wasn't just another synthpop album because it sounds like nothing else. This album is incredibly good and the blend of synthpop with other genres is seamless.
There's one thing you should consider: the real impact of an album is measured years after its release. It's too soon to notice Visions' impact but you better bet that it will be super influential in the future. Grimes clones already started to appear e.g. Negative Gemini.
>loveless defined a growning, and rapidly change genre for the future. no matter what, loveless is THE shoegaze album
Loveless buried the whole genre. Nothing after it could even compare to it, except Souvlaki. Like grunge, it spawned many bands trying to copy it. Visions didn't bury synthpop, it gave a new life.
>>
>>74961965
>And most 80s synthpop bands sound like New Order, not the other way around.
Really? OMD, THL, Kraftwerk, YMO, Visage, Gary Numan, Tubeway Army, John Foxx, Ultravox all released albums before New Order.
>Grimes combined a bunch of sub-genres
That's how new genres are created.
>and has yet to influence anything
She already started influencing other artists. e.g. Negative Gemini.
>and still sounds like most other synthpop bands.
Prove it.
>>
>>74962054
first you are saying that that vision's impact cannot be measured until decades have passed so you can get out of the argument and then you double down saying its measurable, but it wasnt big enough to do anything but make the genre more popular
like any good album can, and does.
>>
>>74962179
>Really? OMD, THL, Kraftwerk, YMO, Visage, Gary Numan, Tubeway Army, John Foxx, Ultravox all released albums before New Order.
its not about who was active first

>That's how new genres are created.
Except grimes created no new genre

>She already started influencing other artists. e.g. Negative Gemini.
is that band supposed to be even known at all?

>prove it.
the sounds very much like some of majical clouds
stuff and her sampler act may as well have been lifted off casey daniel's 2010 live tour.

listen to them
>>
File: 1504192243611.jpg (2MB, 2058x1992px) Image search: [Google]
1504192243611.jpg
2MB, 2058x1992px
>grimesfags still think she'll respond their emails if they shill her enough on 4chin
>>
>>74962487
>first you are saying that that vision's impact cannot be measured until decades have passed
Don't put words in my mouth. I didn't say decades. I said "years after release". It could be anything from 2 years to infinity. Usually the impact should be felt 10-15 years from release. Visions was released in 2012, do the math.
>then you double down saying its measurable, but it wasnt big enough to do anything but make the genre more popular
There are 2 kinds of impacts: at the moment and in the future. I meant the "at the moment" impact, right after the album was released, when it gave synthpop a new life. The second kind of impact is going to happen later. In the future you'll see many artists claiming her as an influence.
>>
>>74961180
>>74960920
these takes are too spicy for me.
>>
>>74962604
>Except grimes created no new genre
Wrong. She created "post-internet" music. That's probably a temporary name. I'd call her music Grimeswave. Literally no other artist is similar to her. There are just a few similarities to The Knife, Kraftwerk and so on, but no other artist has ALL her music features in one package.
>is that band supposed to be even known at all?
It's a newish solo artist.
>the sounds very much like some of majical clouds
Majical Cloudz's singer was her bf at one time (her song Devon is about him). MC is not similar to her. For instance MJ never did songs like Scream, Circumambient, Be a Body, Sagrad.
>>
>>74962693
>The second kind of impact is going to happen later. In the future you'll see many artists claiming her as an influence.

you are making an argument about something based on discernible, measurable facts that exist right now or a prophecy? because visions was big and grimes is influential, but no more than other synthpop acts are, even if she is a better artist. Her latest album was her most praised and the one best liked by normies and it was utter shit so you have no guarantee that she'll ever bother to retake what she began to do on Visions instead of going down the mainstream pop rabbit hole
>>
>>74962810
You're saying a bunch of subjective things here, buddy. Those are just your opinions, but could you even try to be a bit objective?
>because visions was big and grimes is influential, but no more than other synthpop acts are, even if she is a better artist.
Do you realize that she transcends synthpop? Her music is synthpop only on the surface. Anyway most other modern synthpop artists didn't have the impact she had.
>Her latest album was her most praised and the one best liked by normies and it was utter shit
It was rightfully praised because it's a masterpiece according to many people with good taste. It's perhaps the best pop album ever made. What is not to like about it? The songs are extremely catchy, the singing is great and wild, the production is solid as granite.
No, it wasn't utter shit; you just dislike it. Maybe you simply hate overtly pop music. It's OK to have contrarian opinions, anon.
>>
>>74962807
>Wrong. She created "post-internet" music. That's probably a temporary name. I'd call her music Grimeswave. Literally no other artist is similar to her. There are just a few similarities to The Knife, Kraftwerk and so on, but no other artist has ALL her music features in one package.

Oh boy you are so wrong:

1. MANY other artists have used the internet primarily as a distribution and promotion platform before her. She began using services available that other people had been using since the early 2000s to put their shit online.

2. You are now putting her on a pedestal just because she isnt a carbon copy of other artists and that shows your age: back in the good days all known artists had something unique to them.

3. That you even have to use specific examples of songs her songs in which she doesnt sounds TOO MUCH like other artists to make a point is in itself sad. the MC influence is felt HARD on visions and halfaxa, even if a few individual songs employ her personal kind of gimmicks and novelties
>>
I absolutely hated it when I first heard it but it grew on me

It's still the only Grimes album is actually enjoy all the way through
>>
File: 1503407858933.jpg (15KB, 448x312px) Image search: [Google]
1503407858933.jpg
15KB, 448x312px
>>74962983
>It was rightfully praised because it's a masterpiece according to many people with good taste. It's perhaps the best pop album ever made

LOL. You are either just baiting me and laughing your ass at me or too young and stupid.

Either way im out.
>>
>>74960001
Symphonia IX is the best song on the album m8

also

eight
>8

nice
>>
Future generations will thank Grimes for starting the slow convergence of western and east asian pop music through her kawaii K-pop inspired vocals imo
>>
>>74963166
kpop is shit
jpop is where art is at
>>
>>74963042
Go away. You'll never understand.
>>
>>74963273
I understand
>>
>>74962999
>the MC influence is felt HARD on visions and halfaxa
Seriously? Name even a couple of MC songs similar to any song you want from Halfaxa and Visions.
>>
this thread perfectly sums up the absurdity of trying to discuss something with yorubafag

yorubafag (all the time): "you people only comment on her looks instead of having constructive music discussions!!!"

some /mu/ user: starts a musical discussion about Grimes, doesn't instult anything or anyone, writes a normal modest response >>74961525

yorubafag: >>74961807
"You're just a pretentious hipster talking nonsense."
"Anything you say is just blah blah blah"
"Completely wrong"

and he is STILL confused why have most of people given up on trying to have normal discussions with him and retorted to trolling and triggering him and making fun of Grimes instead
>>
>>74963469
That guy is so far in her ass that I wonder how can he even breathe anymore. What's the point of being so absurdly close-minded and shielding Grimes from any form of criticism? She is not perfect and may be criticized just like anyone else, she has her flaws. If he sees no flaws in her at all (which is the case judging by his posts) then that's a pathological obsession and it's not healthy.
>>
>>74963328
to be fair the influence is probably going both ways because grimes was already active and they were local to each other, but the earlier MC stuff is always foreshadowing what grimes did just a bit later

other synthpop artists have fucked about with samplers live, some arguably much better than grimes (like imogen heap), so there is nothing new on that regard either.
>>
>>74963469
>this controlled narative

Seems legit
>>
>>74963532
And what's funny is that at the same time he has the guts to say to someone
>You're saying a bunch of subjective things here, buddy. Those are just your opinions, but could you even try to be a bit objective?
when it's actually him who is subjective as hell when it comes to Grimes and has never seen anything she does in an objective way. Since she's a goddess or whatever to him.
>>
>>74963469
>>74963532
>>74963591
surprise surprise: yorubafag is an underage fanboy

we all acted like retards when we were teenagers, he's probably going through a phase
>>
>>74963623
There's a reason this is an 18+ site.
>>
>>74963469
>"You're just a pretentious hipster talking nonsense."
That's not even an insult, you sensitive flower.
>>
>>74956748
Genesis. The rest of this album and all her albums can go right into the toilet.
>>
>>74963538
>some arguably much better than grimes (like imogen heap)
No. Imogen Heap lacks the skills to make great songs. A cool sound without a support from a good song is nothing. Oh, and her voice is like nails on a chalkboard.
>>
>>74964150
Your opinion deserves the toilet treatment. It's shit.
>>
>>74956748
I really wish he would stop making music, none of his stuff is very good.
>>
File: thrown-to-toilet.png (908KB, 1002x561px) Image search: [Google]
thrown-to-toilet.png
908KB, 1002x561px
>>74964150
Indeed.
>>
>>74963532
Don't you understand that's a game to me? Are you so stupid to take this silly board seriously? Grow up, kid.
I just like to defend her. Sue me.
>>
She was raped
>>
>>74964193
Me and grimes are perfect for each other then. Wanna join us waifufag?
>>
>>74956763
/thread
>>
>>74962669
what an ugly man!
>>
>>74964241
thread
>>
>>74964220
Visual poetry
>>
>>74964220
Perfect
>>
>>74964170
yes i get you are under 18, you can go now
>>
god tier outro
>>
>>74964229
>I was just pretending to be retarded
ok bud
>>
>>74964365
Silly "argument". More like, no argument.
>>
>>74964485
truth hurts you the most, I know
>>
>>74964607
You're confusing truth with lies. You're that silly.
>>
I enjoy the intrumental
>>
>>74964481
You pretended that, maggot. I play games with you, mofos. I'm in control.
>>
>>74964672
>I'm in control
Sure you are, yorubafag
>>
Visions is probably her best album, but it's a 6/10 at best.
>>
>>74964672
You do
>>
File: 2ec.png (572KB, 600x580px) Image search: [Google]
2ec.png
572KB, 600x580px
>>74964672
>I'm in control
>starts having a retard meltdown everytime something negative is said about his waifu
>>
File: 1475357186796.png (377KB, 584x717px) Image search: [Google]
1475357186796.png
377KB, 584x717px
To all Grimes haters: I'll see you on a dark night
>>
>>74964672
Is your mother proud of you for 50% of your English vocabulary being juvenile insults you picked up on the interwebz?
>>
>>74964780
I wonder how many insults he knows in yoruba language
>>
>>74964672
>I'm in control
>desparately tries to make people stop calling his waifu "he" and fails at it >>74960152
>>
>>74964876
How about stopping assuming all antigrimeshaters posts are mine?
>>
>>74965066
You speak the same way in almost every post. So is that you or not?
>>
>>74965191
>implying more people couldn't have similar styles
>implying other anons couldn't pretend being someone else
You're naive.
>>
>>74965267
You failed to answer my question, anon. The fact that you're making the exact same arguments as you've made in response to this criticism is telling though.
>>
>>74960025
Pretty sure that's what she's doing right now, mate.
>>
>>74960272
Grimes has most recently stated that she is working on combining the musical style of her earlier albums with the production values of her recent ones. So not only IS that probably going to happen, it's gonna happen in a markedly new way. Because that is how great artists operate - always bringing something new to the table no matter how many times the ground has previously been trodden.
>>
>>74963538
>probably going both ways because grimes was already active and they were local to each other
Different anon. FYI Grimes was an original, unofficial member of Majical Cloudz. So if you think you're hearing something eerily similar in the music, that would be because you're listening to work partially by the same artist.
>>
>>74957296
this

>>74964760
this
Thread posts: 109
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.