[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I become a jazz elitist?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 81d85TlDWuL._SX522_.jpg (70KB, 522x522px) Image search: [Google]
81d85TlDWuL._SX522_.jpg
70KB, 522x522px
How do I become a jazz elitist?
>>
1. listen to 50's - early 70's bebop classics
2. explore deeper into this era
3. go in any direction you want
4. ???
5. Result
>>
>>74956280
Be better and know more than plebs. Having high standards isn't a bad thing.

Perhaps ironically, the best way to do that is often to disregard comparison to others and focus on learning. Empty before you fill, work hard, and with a little luck you'll wake up an ubermensch one day.
>>
>>74956280
I'd say read a lot. There are some great biographies out there, listen to the classics and maybe become familiar with some standards.
Understanding the history of Jazz and its evolution will also help you gain a greater appreciation for the genre.
I don't know if this will help, but I listened to a lot of Blue Note when I first got into Jazz.
>>
"Elitists" have a lot of experience listening to jazz, can talk about the music in depth, and back up their points with analysis, theory, and specific examples.

Funny how this is seen as a bad thing on /mu/ isn't it?
>>
don't listen to Criss Cross
>>
>>74958045
"Elitists" have a lot of experience listening to elevator music, can talk about the music in depth, and back up their points with analysis, theory, and specific examples.

Funny how this is seen as a bad thing on /mu/ isn't it?
>>
>>74958101
damn...
>>
>>74956280
Read a few books to learn about jazz history find subgenres you really enjoy and delve into it
>>74956370
>Be better and know more than plebs. Having high standards isn't a bad thing.
this. I'm sick of mutards who are proud of having the most entry level taste and discouraging everyone who wants to explore more by calling them "poseurs" or "contrarians"
>>
>>74956280
why did this album become a meme
>>
>>74958101
I laughed because it's true. Now let me shoot myself.
>>
listen to exclusively jazz in the bop tradition - scoff at any influence of other genres or styles in music made after the mid 50's
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.