[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hello first time poster here can i get some recommendations

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

hello
first time poster here

can i get some recommendations on music theory
i basically need to learn about music

what is music?
what attributes does it have - for example a geometric object has length, width, height etc.
so in that context what does music have?
how exactly is music represented using notes
what makes a melody?
what attributes must a melody have to be sad, angry or display some other emotion?
your recommendation can be a book, a series of videos, some university course posted on youtube, or otherwise online

i use freddy as OP pic, because i always liked the music he helped create and can't think of a more music related person at the moment
>>
File: thebeachboys_smileysmile12_75az.jpg (2MB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
thebeachboys_smileysmile12_75az.jpg
2MB, 1500x1500px
bump, I'm actually interested as well
>>
Is this a pasta?
>>
>>74944223
no
>>
>>74944223
Actually, it's a genuinely interesting question, if you can ignore the bad grammar
>>
File: 1503291321565.png (119KB, 396x385px) Image search: [Google]
1503291321565.png
119KB, 396x385px
>>74943714
>>
>>74944223
Learn to play an instrument and learn some of your favourite songs and the theory comes naturally. It is much easier that way than just to learn stuff and have no context to connect it to.
>>
File: 1778314-png.jpg (50KB, 638x425px) Image search: [Google]
1778314-png.jpg
50KB, 638x425px
>>74943714
Honestly go to your local library and check out some books. There are tons of beginner/advanced/"complete" theory books that will go over all of your questions.
>>
>>74943714
the wikipedia article on music is actually surprisingly good for this, especially the "elements" section.

i've always had trouble learning with online "courses" but i was able to teach myself a lot this past summer by just clicking on random wiki articles on music theory

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music#Elements
>>
>>74943714
My knowledge of music theory is pretty poor, so for those anons that do know it, please let me know how I'm doing since I also want to learn more.

1. What is music?
That is really hard to pin point. You could argue that anything that makes a sound has potential to be music. That really depends on you want to approach it.

2. What attributes does it have?
Notes can be broken up into long notes, half notes, quarter notes, eigth notes, 16th notes, 32nd notes, etc. and all those are a messure of how long they are played. That also depends on the beats per minutes. Notes can be staccato, or played short, or tenutto, to be played longer than usual. Notes are placed in a measure which have time signutures (they determine how many beats per bar, and what kind of note). There is a key signature, which tells you which notes are flat and which are sharp. Sharp means a half step higher than the standard note, while flat means a half step lower. There is also a cleff, which is based on what the instrument being played in is tuned at. I play alto sax which is tuned to eb, so that plays in treble cleff. The tenor sax plays in bass clef.

3 & 4. I think I got those covered with the above thing.

5. What makes a melody?
I'd say a melody is determined by chord progression.

6. What attributes must a melody have to be sad, angry, or display emotion?
I can't comment on the technical aspects of that, but play a few chords and if they sound happy or sound sad to you then odds are other people will feel the same way.

7. Recs?

https://www.youtube.com/user/temporalfissure

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk24OnGLcP5XlTBjZ9WBWvw

Love these two guys, very informative, especially walk that bass.
>>
>>74944287
>Learn to play an instrument and learn some of your favourite songs
maybe i should
i need some knowledge about music theory because i want to create one of those programs that make music
what i like about this project is because it will allow me to practice my hobby that i like and obtain knowledge about something new - music
the project also implies a significant degree of freedom meaning it can turn out very differently depending on what choices you make - it doesn't have a clear answer

will a digital piano, one you can download on your computer do?
i still need to learn about notes though

i intent to represent a melody as a function, for example a polynomial of some high degree
a polynomial has constants you can change so as to make it grow slower, be more linear like etc.
tweaking these constants would be the basis of how i want to change a melody - but that's just the current idea, it will probably change later
i still need to know what a melody is though and what makes a melody a melody, how to REPRESENT a melody
>>74944397
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_theory#Fundamentals_of_music

i look at this article and there so many different things that in everyday life well i'd be hard pressed to tell you what the difference between those things is - pitch, rhythm, melody, modes, scales, harmony, musical texture

seems there's a lot of meat to it, but i still think a month of reading now and then should be enough to give me the necessary intuition to write my program - after i finish my current projects
>>74944521
yes, it seems like you can use wikipedia as something of a skeleton and further supply using other sources
>>
>>74944614
>Notes can be broken up into long notes, half notes, quarter notes, eigth notes, 16th notes, 32nd notes, etc. and all those are a messure of how long they are played. That also depends on the beats per minutes. Notes can be staccato, or played short, or tenutto, to be played longer than usual. Notes are placed in a measure which have time signutures (they determine how many beats per bar, and what kind of note). There is a key signature, which tells you which notes are flat and which are sharp. Sharp means a half step higher than the standard note, while flat means a half step lower. There is also a cleff, which is based on what the instrument being played in is tuned at. I play alto sax which is tuned to eb, so that plays in treble cleff. The tenor sax plays in bass clef.
these sorts of details is part of what i need, yes exactly - a representation

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHXoRcmFMbY&list=PLIuyaIoM30LL3bl8t6nsF86CXFUagTHJw
i will check out this playlist by walkthatbass, seems promising
>>
>>74944637
Piano is the best for begginers because it is very easy to learn notes and chords on it but I think a real life one will help you learn 'better'. You can probably get a cheap one or ask a friend who has o ne. You just need to learn basic stuff on it.
>>
>>74943714
>musictheory.net
>what is music
any art that is enjoyed through your sense of hearing.
>attributes
the three basic attributes of music are rhythm, harmony, and melody. of course, like a painter doesn't always use every color or dimension, musicians create their style not only on the use of these three perameters but a lack of as well.
>context
dont know what your asking
>music is represent using notes by a circle on a space in a staff and symbols showing what note is to be played. the differences between each circle on the staff shows the duration and style each note is played. there are also rests to show when not to play. chords are either shown as letters with accompanying symbols above the staff or by stacking circles on the staff.
>what attributes
that is all based on how you organize the melody and its accompanying harmony and rhythm. thats a tough one, like how does a painter represent sadness. a simple answer would be a painting of someone crying (or just a minor chord) but its more then just that obviously.
>reccs
music theory online is nice cause it goes all the way from reading music to learning chords to 12 marticese and their construction. it also covers ear training which is technically not music theory but just as if not more important.

hope this helps. i saw this after i took my sleeping drugs so its not my best but there you go. i am a professional jazz musician studying internationally and have done tours and stuff like that so im atleast a better source then the average mutant i guess.
>>
>>74943714
You can get some notion of melody, rhythm and harmony from the documentary "The Rhythm of Life" with George Martin.
It's something pretty basic but you can start from there.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.