[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to 'get into' Philip Glass?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 800px-Philip_Glass_1[1].jpg (116KB, 800x1071px) Image search: [Google]
800px-Philip_Glass_1[1].jpg
116KB, 800x1071px
So I heard and loved Beck's NYC 73-78 Glass 'remix', and had watched the Baraka, Koyanisqaatsi films and knew he scored them and loved them too
So I went and downloaded a ~4GB discography of his
But i really dont know where to start with it
This doesn't help too much either, as far as i can tell:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_compositions_by_Philip_Glass
Anyone able to suggest a way to navigate?
thanks
>>
If you want "old Glass", Einstein on the Beach is his "masterpiece". When he made Glassworks he deliberately moved towards a more commercial sound that would appeal to pop music listeners. It worked.
>>
>>74932742
cheers
are those the two main 'periods' he has?
>>
Glass is a hack, Steve Reich and Terry Riley are far better in terms of minimalist composition and composition in general
>>
Listen to Glassworks
>>
>>74932856
Pretty much.
>>
I like Philip Glass I like Philip Glass I like Philip Glass Philip Philip Philip Philip Glass I like Philip Glass I like Philip Glass I like Philip Glass
>>
>>74932350
Easy. Strip his pants and put your rod in his hole.
>>
Yes start with Glassworks. If you like Koyaanisqatsi try Powaqqatsi and Naqoyqatsi. Songs From Liquid Days is a work worth hearing and Itaipu is kind of like an Eno ambient album. His 1st and 4th symphonies are based on Bowie, wouldn't bother much beyond his 6th symphony. His String Quartets are good, as are his Etudes. I wouldn't recommend Einstein on the Beach, tedious and laughable. Satyagraha, Akhnaten, Hydrogen Jukebox, A Madrigal Opera, 1000 Airplanes are all better places to start.
>>
>>74933076
cool, cheers again

>>74932968
will do, thanks

>>74934200
ahah!

>>74934388
thanks also, very helpful
but really, no love for einstein?
>>
>>74934466
>but really, no love for einstein?
No I hate it, think the only reason it gets recommended is because it was his first in a somewhat unique style. It just meanders and fills time rather than being worth a listen. The other operas are much more focused and concise. His later operas are a return to that several hours of nothing aesthetic.
>>
>>74934518
well put, thanks for explaining
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.