[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thinking about getting into music more, but how do I become a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

File: 1291525521105.jpg (8KB, 251x221px) Image search: [Google]
1291525521105.jpg
8KB, 251x221px
Thinking about getting into music more, but how do I become a good music fan without being a pretentious pseud hipster faggot?
>>
Start by not visiting /mu/ anymore.
>>
>good music fan
>hipster

Being frightened of these abstractions and spooks means you're probably too weak minded to sincerely appreciate any music of value
>>
>Thinking about getting into music more
by doing this less and doing
>getting into music more
this more
>>
1. Do not criticise other people's tastes
2. Avoid using the word "objectively"
3. Sometimes music is popular because it's good
4. Avoid the word "overrated"
5. Don't form a personality around your tastes
6. Don't dress like your favourite artists
>>
>>74860628
by listening to more music wtf op
>>
Listen to as many styles as possible. Traditional folk, western classical, jazz, soul/r&b/funk/disco, rock, edm, "experimental"
>>
>>74860685
>6. Don't dress like your favourite artists
some people want to feel they belong to a certain scene they identify with. plus its easier to mingle with say other punks if you dress more punk obviously

its like that guy who wears band tees all the time,it makes for great conversation opener
>>
>>74860628
Pick one genre you really really enjoy and become an expert in that genre.

Listen to other music as you like, but don't take it too seriously. People trying to have obscure, eclectic tastes in many diverse genres are probably the worst people on /mu/ and unfortunately the vast majority.
>>
>>74860805
>>74860685
tfw I guess I can't dress plainly anymore
>>
>>74860852
>people trying to have obscure, eclectic tastes in many diverse genres
>vast majority of /mu/
I fucking wish. Most /mu/tants don't have obscure nor eclectic taste and mostly listen to Rock music while barely touching the surface of electronic and hip hop
>>
>>74860852
>People trying to have obscure, eclectic tastes in many diverse genres are probably the worst people on /mu/ and unfortunately the vast majority
What's wrong with that attitude?
>>
>>74860852
Fuck you I hope you're b8ing
>>
>>74860685
>>74860852

Thanks. I'll keep these in mind.

What genre should I get into though? I was thinking classical because I already listen to a lot of it, but only in the background while studying or playing video games.. I think I'll try to get into that more.
>>
>>74860628
Alcohol/prescription drug induced coma. You'll get time off from work and that's plenty of time to listen to more music!
>>
>>74860912
because you missed the operative word
>trying

>>74860931
You end up with entry-level taste in many genres and not understanding any of them which leads to everyone posting about the same 10 albums every time X genre is "discussed"
>>
>>74860953
The first of those posts is good advice, but be wary of any advice that says "listen like this not this." the best attitude to have is one that accepts all ways of listening to music, so you can find out what works with you and what you enjoy. There's no reason to listen to a variety of music if you don't want to, but there's also no need to focus on one genre and be an expert if you don't want to
>>
>>74860966
No, I didn't miss that word. /mu/ doesn't even try.
>>
>>74860966
Isn't demeaning entry level tastes a surer sign of a "pretentious pseud hipster faggot" that enjoying whatever you enjoy, from a few genres? Isn't it an appeal to some sort of intellectually "correct" way to be a fan if you limit yourself to a genre cause it's "right" or will make you an "expert"? Doesn't the attitude that you can "try" to be a music fan and "fail" seem to be missing the point of having music as an enjoyable hobby?
>>
All this advice is garbage.

Listen to whatever you want and never dismiss an album without having listened to it more than a couple of times.

This is much much harder to do than it sounds.
>>
>>74860628
By not caring you stupid fucking idiot, if you enjoy music it will all come by itself.
>>
>>74861014
this d e s u

listen to what you like. always keep in mind your level of knowledge/education/ability when it comes to discussing music with others, but don't be afraid to have the opinions that you have. if everyone behaved like this places like this board would be a lot more tolerable.

ultimately, music is basically magic, and trying to only approach it in the "correct" way is just gonna be an arbitrary obstacle to something that should be a pure and egoless experience.
>>
>>74861040
>Listen to whatever you want and never dismiss an album without having listened to it more than a couple of times.
Worse advice than most of the advice in this thread. No one should listen to music for the point of developing a well thought out opinion on it. You don't work for a publication, so if you don't enjoy listening to an album, just don't come back to it until you're interested in it again. Most of the time you'll know if something's worth hanging on to for future interest, or just not worth your time
>>
>>74861014
These are good points actually. I guess my original post was more about what would make you a better poster on /mu/ and what would make /mu/ a better place overall, than addressing OP's actual question.

Then again, I think you can make the argument that going out of your way to avoid being "pretentious" is just as bad (maybe even worse) than just being sincere and pretentious.

If all you're looking for is a fun hobby, then my sincere advice is to never come to /mu/ again.
>>
>>74861040
generally agree, but i do think some albums pretty evidently display their quality on first listen, or that you can tell whether or not you'll like/dislike it on first listen. it's not the norm by far, but it's not hard and fast imo
>>
>>74860628
By buying a pair of HD600s
>>
>>74861082
inb4 someone calls me a fag or sm but

the only way the culture on /mu/ will change is if people stay and try to be a part of good discussion. i do think /mu/ still has a lot of potential, its just that it disproportionately represents people for whom music is a huge part of their identity and so feel a need to lash out if their taste is challenged, or if they're presented with someone more knowledgeable or articulate about the music than they are.
>>
File: IMG_2227.jpg (100KB, 587x443px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2227.jpg
100KB, 587x443px
>>74860628
Those weird flap thingies on the sides of your head? Y'know the ones, if you don't stick a q-tip in there once in a while they get all yellow and sometimes red depending how loud you blast your headphones.

Let those guys be the judge.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.