[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

General advice for making it as a film music composer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

Maybe some community knowledge can be of help not only for me, as I think /mu/ is one of the wisest boards of 4chan.

I studied music for more than 10 years, been doing music for advertising and occasionally short films for around 10 as well, and now I'm 34 and trying to focus my career into film music because advertising is usually not very enjoyable.

Advertising is unstable and film is (for what I think) kind of a close circuit where you are only relevant when your work has been on a feature film that also has been relevant. I had a friend who made the soundtrack of a relatively known film in my country and after that he got contacted for more work, but still he's not confident work will keep coming.

I'm in Spain, which I know is something important to take into consideration, but still there are probably some general ideas to get there. At the moment I am:

- Contacting directors of award-winning short films that suit what I'd like to do, because directors at this stage are sometimes close into going for a feature movie, in which budget is usually enough to make something decent, in other words, no sound libraries and paid.

- Making music for music libraries like Envato, to see if I can have a little income to help pay the rent.

- Still contacting advertising agencies to offer my services.

What I think I lack here is personal contact, but it's not like you can meet in person a film director or an art director from an agency like some kind of tinder, or it's not like having a band, in which case you can meet other bands in concerts to be part of a scene. Except that one friend who kind of made it, I know no one in this business to know if there are things I should be doing. And my friend made it because a lucky strike, so it's not of help.

At the moment I am sacrificing everything to get this because this is the only thing I see myself doing, but I'm struggling with money and any shared wisdom to use the best of my time would be very appreciated.
>>
hans zimmer a shit
>>
>>74856224
Not relevant, the guy made it big in the film industry.
>>
>>74856558
yes and?
mcdonald's still makes tons of money giving ppl cancerous food.
why don't you work on a good solo career and then have your label help you land some film scores like opn and mica levi did.
>>
>>74856558
He sucks. Atleast look up to a film composer like Prokofiev or Bernstein or something.
>>
>>74856569
He wants to become rich writing Hollywood garbage. Hans Zimmer being trash doesn't matter, he is rich from writing Hollywood garbage. OP wants to follow in his footsteps.
>>
>>74857020
well tough luck for him. hollywood usually only allows one hack per decade.
>>
>>74856569

Or someone actually good like Trent Reznor
>>
>>74856215
Get sum exposure with Jewtube and the likes. Also have the guys you make music for shill for you, did nobody in the business have connection with a studio?

>And my friend made it because a lucky strike, so it's not of help.
It's always the case in art. Or having rich parents who know someone (at least that's how all the people in the industry I know made it)

>>74856619
>redefined soundtracks
>sucks
Shouldn't even contrarianism have limits?
>>
>>74857176
trent is famous compared to opn/mica you can't compare that to somebody like op
>>
>>74857212
hans zimmer is awful. doesn't even compose his own stuff
>>
>>74857232
Then it's even more impressive. Imagine not even being able to compose and still owning the industry. Bit like Tay-tays singing.
>>
>>74857232

I guess but he did go from solo artist to making music for films though
>>
>>74857278
yeah true but again only couple ppl max can get away with it. no matter how much you try to copy him hes already got the market on luck. the rest of u fags need to actually be good to make $$$
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.