[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I guess emotion gets you good ratings when there's something

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 7

File: Wew.jpg (335KB, 1563x648px) Image search: [Google]
Wew.jpg
335KB, 1563x648px
I guess emotion gets you good ratings when there's something tangible behind it, like the death of a loved one. It gets you a high rating even if all you have is your sorrow and nothing to contribute musically. I don't think X is good and I like Phil Elverum's work but both of these albums are on the same level.
>>
>>74836641
>comparing possibly the best album of the decade to this pile of trash
go back listen to your favorite memerapper you fucking retard
>>
Your opinion holds the same amount of weight as Anthony's does.
>>
>>74836680
Praise it without incorporating emotion.
>>
>>74836689
So 1.1 million people consider my opinion?
>>
>>74836711
Yeah
>>
You didnt even watch the review, he's rating the music not the story behind it. I'm not an Anthony Drone but he rating the music not the life story.
>>
>>74836641
I don't give a crap about fantano's opinion, but just the first song "real death" shits all over that meme tentrashion
>>
>>74836641
This is good bait, OP.
>>
>>74836724
He rated the lyrics, you cant be saying he believes it's a good album based on sound alone? Hundreds of bandcamp users have made similar albums with the same themes and If Fantano reviewed one of those he would give it a 2.
>>
>>74836731

>its dumb

oh wow what a lyricist
>>
>>74836741
No it isn't fucking bait you pretentious tripfag. This isn't about X being good at all its about Fantano's cognitive dissonance when it comes to rating albums.
>>
>>74836745
I don't listen to trash Hip hop but it sounded like the lyrics weren't the only problem with this record
>>
>>74836775
Once again I'm not pro X, 17 was a 3/10 imo. The beats were awful and yes X is a shallow pool of emotional depth. But Crow is very similar, the lyrics are average for Phil there are no melodies and the only thing carrying it to fame is his wife's death. Hell it wouldn't even exist without it.
>>
>>74836755
>i'm too much of a nihilist ironic edgelord to appreciate sincerity
please kys
>>
>>74836761
lol
>>
>>74836641
This is advance shitposting, right?
>>
>>74836834
All tripfags have the same smug replies and false sense of superiority due to them upholding an identity on an anonymous website. Why don't you and your kind fuck off back to Re**it.
>>
>>74836858
So advanced you cant refute my claims?
>>
>>74836859
Lmao cry bitch.
>>
literally
>>
Mount Erie's album is genuinely better.

Did Fantano over-rate it because he knows Phil himself and was touched by his wife's death? Definitely, 9 was too much.
Either way, it is still a better album.
>>
>>74836914
Why is it better?
>>
>>74836641
Well when x can write a song longer than 2 minutes I'll be interested.
>>
>>74836933
Well, for one.

17 is severely lacking, it has a run-time of twenty minutes, there are EPs that run longer than this, it barely feels like an album. All the tracks thanks to this feel incredibly short.

For second, the lyrics are badly written and rather juvenile, the album doesn't have any effect, it doesn't accomplish what it strives to do, and that is to get you that blank, numb feeling of depression, there is an attempt to do it with the "soulless" vocals but they do not do the job, there are records that dish out depression in a much better way (like every single Nine Inch Nails record ever made).

For second.
It doesn't feel like the lyrics/instrumentals are lacking due to intention but rather due to the lack of commitment

Meanwhile, Mount Erie's lyrics are beautiful, they are simple and straightforward when they need to be, even with Phil's deep grief he managed to put a lot of substance into the record that isn't just his own grief, for example how certain lyrics repeat themselves over the song, yet with an actual purpose, to show progression between the song, for example when Phil repeats the "It has been X days/weeks/months since you've died" is very straight-forward, but the more it appears in the record, the more time passes, the lyric has additional purpose now, it is supposed to put forward how much time has passed and how hard it is for him to still get over it.

17 Has no moments such as these.
>>
>>74836859
Just fucking filter them instead of feeding them, idiot
>>
>>74836982
Fair point in regards to how you view the lyrical quality personally. But like i said before the emotional impact is all that Crow has to offer, musically it's horrendous, without the complex atmosphere and backing instrumentation Phil sounds terrible. My main issue with this record and the crazy praise is that anyone could put something like this together, it doesnt have anything to do with musical talent at all. Fantano is just handing him this review out of pity, if Phil had released an album contemplating death in general and it was the exact same everyone would be shitting on it, even melon.
>>
>>74836816
the difference is X wants to sell some try hard depression bullshit to 13 year olds and Crow came from a place of actual trauma
>>
>>74836641
both are indie hypetrain shit for retarded losers who can't listen to an album without being told about some probably exaggerated tragic backstory which distracts you from how mediocre and boring the album is.
>>
>>74837031
I agree with you on something you say, I believe that musically Mount Erie record still sounds better. Has more to it, but it is too simple and bland in some tracks.
Did it deserve 9/10? Fuck no, I'd personally give it 6 or 7, something like that, Fantano knows Phill himself so he was touched far deeper than ever any of us could be which explains his score.

I believe 17 has the same issues but has more of them. Fantano obviously does not respect X in the slightest, perhaps even the opposite.

Lately, Fantano's reviews have been extremely poor, he is getting worse and worse at explaining himself and justifying his scores.
>>
>>74837201
Does not matter. Music wise they are equally bland.
>>
>>74837347
Well if you genuinely think it sounds better then that's alright I cant change your opinion on it. The record itself did not bother me all that much, but the pretentious praise and Fantano's very personal bias in the review did.
>>
If Frank Ocean or Earl released this album, everyone would be all over it
>>
>>74837703
Not true
This album is shit, get over it
>>
>>74837406
>>74837347
A frank, civil discussion on /mu/.

I'm honestly surprised.
>>
File: doris.jpg (156KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
doris.jpg
156KB, 960x960px
>>74837703
Earl's Doris is great. 17 is not even a real album.

You're retard if you think you can compare this masterpiece to XXXTENTACION.
>>
>>74836711
Most likely, though none of us will ever know
>>
>>74837383
May be so, but music is art, and the reasoning behind art always matters.
>>
besides both being about some form tragedy, (and not even the same level of tragedy) there's no distinct similarity between the album's. Phil is clearly the most eloquent of the two and the most mature. To compare a work of grief to some angsty memerapper is so preposterous that this surely has to be bait.
And for the record, in terms of A Crow Looked At Me, there's never going to be a disconnect between the album as a product and the narrative it tells, because that's what the album is. You would say "praise this autobiography without mentioning the author's life". Emotion takes legitimate talent to achieve.
And even without all that, A Crow... is far more interesting sonically. xxxtentacion sounds like every other meme rapper, with only slight differences in his best and rapping, Phil has and always will be a better producer and musician.
There is no comparison
>>
>>74836697
>is it bait?
>>
there was an actual study done on art perception where some people were told that some works of art took a long time to make and another were told the same pieces took a short time, and the people viewing the art that took a long time to make would say it was better than the other group said.
>>
>>74837920
art is entertainment. If some random fuck's boring life story entertains you that much, go on chatroulette.
>>
>>74836680
>possibly the best album of the decade
Jesus

Worst thing i read all day. Listen to more music please
>>
>>74838185
who are you to dictate what art is? who gave you the authority to choose how people are supposed to enjoy the things they do?
>>
>>74838233

I'm not dictating, I'm explaining.

I'm teaching you stuff that you're too dense to notice by yourself.

thinking that Phil's sob story is anything special is the effect of an illusion. Acknowledge it for what it is.
>>
>>74838035
Good post, OP is probably bait though
>>
>>74838282
>Acknowledge it for what it is.
It's a work of personal grief. That's what it is, and that's what I've been judging it as. You're the one who's been trying to judge it as simple entertainment
>>
File: 1498175946428.jpg (31KB, 410x557px) Image search: [Google]
1498175946428.jpg
31KB, 410x557px
>>74836641
>but both of these albums are on the same level.
>>
>>74838185
>>74838282
Then I guess you cannot fully appreciate music. If the point of art is of no significance to you, that's okay too. It's your life after all. Art is entertainment, but depending on the artistic medium, it has different message every time. Some of it is shallow and unimpressive, but other can make you feel wide range of different emotions. And some art will leave an impression.

Also, what you're doing is not "explaining" art. You're stating your own subjective opinion, nothing more. While you're posting here, you have the same authority as any other anon, meaning your words don't have any authority, especially if you cannot even use constructive critique, and your only argument is using "ad personam".

Point is, dismissing the meaning behind art as "some random fuck's boring life story" is immature. Though if that's what you really feel, then that would also mean, that biographies/auto-biographies and documentaries about people are of no value to you.
>>
>>74836697
you dumb fuck you can't praise it without emotion
>>
>>74836641
a 9 and a 2 is a huge difference. You cant tell me that all comes from wether X's emotions were genuine or not
>>
>>74837903
no way. If hes lucky, maybe 300 people would see his post tops.
>>
>>74838457
You just proved his point...
>>
>>74838551
I know this is probably a shit post, but the argument is whether or not the emotion SHOULD matter vs. whether it does
>>
>>74838494
I meant it like, 1.1m people in the world probably share the same views as he does, so they agree with his opinion
>>
>>74838603
no he meant that 1.1 m consider Anthony's specific opinions because thats how many subscribers he has
>>
>>74836680
hahaha no way.
>>
>>74836680
Yeah, exactly, how can OP compare shit like that Mount Eerie album to a genius like X?
>>
>>74836680
I'm glad his wife died because I hate Phil shills like you
>>
>>74836680
His point flew right over your head.
>>
File: IMG_1893.jpg (91KB, 909x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1893.jpg
91KB, 909x800px
BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP
>>
desu the greatest downfall of 17 is that he's ingenuine as shit, he isn't depressed he's just edgy
>>
File: 1503717452981.png (56KB, 624x624px) Image search: [Google]
1503717452981.png
56KB, 624x624px
>>74836724
Dude wtf he said he kinda liked some of the instrumentals but was harping on the lyrics the whole time?
>>
>>74836697
Music is not objectivist, and even if we do look at structure of the songs from a theory perspective Phils record has more musical fidelity
>>
>>74836859
what a bitch
>>
>tfw some decent discussion actually comes out of a bait thread

[spoiler]but X is complete trash and anyone who disagrees is a pleb[/spoiler]
>>
>>74836859
Well that's not fair.
>>
>>74840182
>he doesn't know spoiler doesn't work on /mu/
ahaha
>>
File: 1445706587152.jpg (38KB, 454x248px) Image search: [Google]
1445706587152.jpg
38KB, 454x248px
>but both of these albums are on the same level.
>>
>>74840234
>he thinks that's the point
>>
>>74840182
cringe
>>
>>74836859
they are fucking cancer i agree
>>
File: 1494009710926.png (105KB, 240x288px) Image search: [Google]
1494009710926.png
105KB, 240x288px
>>
>>74836641
Completely accurate analogy.
Fans of Mount Eerie are just following a cliché and predictable gregarious behavior, and once again proving that the vast majority of people can't dispatch their "personal" taste from the opinion of more influential people, and judging music based on "background" solely.
Don't get me wrong though, both releases are mediocre.
>>
>>74840476
Sure. I agree with the first part, even though a certain background to an album is essential to making the album what it is.

But thinking that X conveyed emotion on the same level as Elverum did (EVEN based on the music alone) is retarded. Its probably not a 9 but X is most certainly nothing higher than a 4-5/10
>>
>heartwrenching record produced by a man who lost the love of his life and actually has a reason to feel completely alone in all of creation isn't related the same as some edgy kid who beats up pregnant women crying and whining and threatening to kill himself
Damn really made me think
>>
>>74836697
confused by what you mean, are you saying we shouldn't take into account the emotions of the artist or are you saying we shouldn't allow our emotions to guide our opinions??
>>
>>74836641
How did you watch the videos with the sound on mute?
>>
>>74837798
this
>>
>>74836680
Phil himself has much better albums from this decade
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.