[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Post-rock should just be called post-prog

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: 1503283274205.jpg (281KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1503283274205.jpg
281KB, 900x900px
Post-rock should just be called post-prog
>>
>>74826544
should be called post-music t b h
>>
No thats even worse

I prefer Experimental Rock Music as a term
>>
>>74826656
>Experimental
>post rock
A handful of them are, most of them are just copying the same formula as the pioneer bands like Godspeed.
>>
File: 1470974200076.jpg (32KB, 601x508px) Image search: [Google]
1470974200076.jpg
32KB, 601x508px
>>74826568
Just gybe though. Other post-rock isn't the logical conclusion to life itself like gybe.
>>
unfortunately it's roots aren't in prog-rock

>>74826568
this guy has it right
>>
>>74826544
get this emotionally dishonest album out of here. post something more genuine please
>>
>>74826700
Doesnt matter its less autistic term
>>
Post-rock is outright worse than prog as a genre, prove me wrong.
>long songs but much more repetitive and less dynamic
>generally far less instrumental proficiency
>more dull and dreary than most rock, whereas prog is more lively and colorful
>equally as pretentious, but lacks a sense of humor
>depends on the crescendo to leave an impact on the listener, even though prog has better crescendos (Yes' And You and I & Awaken, Genesis Supper's Ready)
>half of post rock sounds like an emulation of one prog song ( King Crimson- Larks Tongues in Aspic pt. 1)
the only thing post-rock does better is timbre since it doesn't use those goofy synth tones
>>
>>74826821
On what planet is saying "experimental rock is my favorite genre" not a autistic? It's the rock equivalent of saying "I like serious music" when you mean classical music.
>>
here's the real issue with that.
progressive rock is like two genres; mathrock wank and rock that's progressive and taking rock and roll to different territory. i would call gybe prog if that's really what it meant but prog rock is basically mindless wank
>>
>>74826900
This.
Except, dick all matters when deciding how good a genre is except the effect on the listener; no genre can be inherently better than any other.
>>
>>74826804
i myself am a huge fan of this album
what would you consider 'more genuine'?
>>
>>74826900
>depends on the crescendo to leave an impact on the listener
Thats only shit post-rock like gybe
Good post-rock like TalkTalk isnt doing that shit
>>
>>74827335
1st wave post rock is almost like a whole different genre. There's similarities and influence across the genres but Talk Talk's compositional process and stylistic influences are pretty darn different from the GY!BE school of post rock.

Pretty sure he means 2nd and 3rd wave, which is pretty cancerous stuff for the most part.
>>
>>74826544
of course the asshole who likes post rock would unironically think that is a good idea
>>
>>74826700
>the pioneer bands like Godspeed.
please stop
>>
>>74826544
The name makes a lot more sense when you realize the guy who coined it wasn't referring to Sigur Ros and GYBE because they didn't exist at the time afaik. He was talking about groups like Stereolab, Seefeel, and Bark Psychosis - bands that used guitars for non-rock purposes, supposedly.
>>
>>74827946
Who was doing what Godspeed were doing on F#A# and LYSF before them?
>>
>>74827980
Damn, didn't actually know this.
Why the hell was it coopted to mean bands like GYBE? There's no way a better term couldn't be used for that sort of music if you wanted to throw a label on it.
>>
>>74827990
Swans, Glenn Branca
>>
File: Screenshot_20170828-194011.png (214KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170828-194011.png
214KB, 1440x2560px
Post prog already exists
>>
>>74827990
>>74828108
Also Talk Talk, Tortoise, Bark Psychosis and in some ways Slint.

and a lot more really... Godspeed didn't invent shit lol. I still love them, though.
>>
>>74827917
2nd and 3rd wave are great, dont be pretentious
>>
>>74828304
Yeah no, gybe invented 3rd wave basically.
>>
>>74828318
uh oh
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.