[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/jazz/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 20

File: Henderson_joe.jpg (83KB, 500x390px) Image search: [Google]
Henderson_joe.jpg
83KB, 500x390px
Prove you're not a pleb and review the last jazz album you listened to.

Doesn't matter how long or short the review, just put forth a concrete opinion and explain it.
>>
The Wildflowers free jazz compilations are brilliant. A few misses on some of them, but getting to hear everyone from Sunny Murray to Roscoe Mitchell going apeshit in Sam Rivers' loft live is a blessing.

Wildflowers 5 is my favorite because of the 20 minute Roscoe Mitchell track, easily
>>
Eric Dolphy - Out to Lunch

Solid 9.5/10 and better than the meme avant-garde jazz albums Spiritual Unity and The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady.
>>
kind of blue is a good album
>>
What is the name of this song?

https://youtu.be/2Ss64zksRBY
>>
>>74821341
but what makes it better than those albums?
>>
>>74821365
It isn't a meme.
>>
File: keep_on_dreaming.jpg (90KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
keep_on_dreaming.jpg
90KB, 600x600px
maybe this strange thing I just listened to today counts

the meeting of maverick avant-garde plink-plonk man Eugene Chadbourne and Finnish electric free jazz duo Good Romans - roughly 50/50 odd country covers and relatively free improvisation. It's an odd combination, but kinda works out nicely, the country stuff gives the album enough of an identity that the abstract improvisation becomes surprisingly easy to listen to. Oh and there's a Bach etude too.

Certainly a very eccentric album with some DIY charm to it - they sell it as a CD-R with handmade covers that are taped together cardboard with the album artwork glued on top

johnny cash cover: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWq2t3eC_7E
free improv (with Van Halen video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g_cSKdrOzM
>>
File: COVER.jpg (285KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
COVER.jpg
285KB, 500x500px
I really like this album, I think it's very underrated since I feels it's what miles did with his "really cool stuff" but it's waay cooler
>>
Max Raabe stuff
I really liked it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svZSl0c3l8c
>>
>>74822002
oh look, it's the music Adorno hated
>>
File: Evolution.jpg (141KB, 366x366px) Image search: [Google]
Evolution.jpg
141KB, 366x366px
I find the album pictured to be the best avant-garde jazz album released on Blue Note, even better than Out to Lunch; I particularly commend this album for how airy it sounds, but also how well that airiness compliments the music. The composition Air Raid would fall apart without this airy quality
>>
Albums or pieces similar to pic related? especially the In a sentimental mood?
>>
File: R-4324463-1372209086-9441.jpeg.jpg (45KB, 599x599px) Image search: [Google]
R-4324463-1372209086-9441.jpeg.jpg
45KB, 599x599px
>>74822329
shit forgot pic
>>
File: duke-hawk.jpg (171KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
duke-hawk.jpg
171KB, 1500x1500px
>>74822342
>>
>>74822342
more obvious ones
>>
File: hawkins_today_and_now.jpg (87KB, 1400x1400px) Image search: [Google]
hawkins_today_and_now.jpg
87KB, 1400x1400px
>>74822342
maybe this one too, this track might appeal to someone looking for more like the Trane/Duke In a Sentimental Mood
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUIa9ShXfAI
>>
File: a1291257646_10.jpg (309KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
a1291257646_10.jpg
309KB, 1200x1200px
This thing. This thing is a good thing. Good/10
>>
File: Jim.Hall.and.Pat.Metheny.jpg (10KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Jim.Hall.and.Pat.Metheny.jpg
10KB, 300x300px
I love Jim Hall's style and he's brilliant in these duet settings. He has a perceptive ear and a phenomenal fluency with the guitar. It's astounding how beautiful his improvisations are and how pretty he makes dissonant voicings sound.
Pat also seems well versed in Jim's style. The two fit together so well, half the time they sound like the same instrument playing both chords and melody with their bassy/warm timbres melting into each other. This sound is typical of Hall's work and I love it, but they play a lot of mid-slow tempo ballads in this style.
It's a great style but it gets samey after a while and the tracks that grab my attention most when I hear the record are the deviants.
The best tracks on the record are improv 2 and Into the Dream. The improv works as an intro to the latter and it is intense; with Pat's wild pick scraping, Hall's nervous scattered bass notes and the chords flourishes in the upper register of the Pikasso guitar, it's some of the most inspired and exploitative playing Jim has done since his work with Schuller and some of the best free playing Pat has done since Song X. It all leads very nicely into Into the Dream, which in the wake of the tense free jazz, holds so much more weight. It's got this folky epicness that reminds me of KC's Islands and it's got everything that makes these two stand out as players: Jim is gorgeously lyrical and Pat gets to show off his wonderful sense of fitting voicings from both rock and jazz to unusual timbres.
Knowing the two were willing and able to try this sort of thing, the album kind of feels like a missed opportunity. Guitar is such a versatile instrument and Pat is so used to exploring different tone colors, I don't get why they spent so much time on stuff that Jim had been doing for 40 years when they could have taken time experimenting in the studio and put out a really ground breaking and beautiful record.
As is, it's still a great record, I'm just griping cause there was so much potential.
>>
Does Slint count as Jazz?
>>
>>74822459
Funk and jazz with beautiful production and stellar electronic sound that feels organic. For fans of snarky puppy.
Good/10 like I previously said (sorry for finishing my previous post earlier, im kind of a newb)
https://reubengingrich.bandcamp.com/album/blue-island
>>
>>74822527
No.
>>
>>74821342
Never heard of it
>>
>>74822590
>For fans of snarky puppy.

thanks now I know not to listen
>>
File: rova_special.jpg (202KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
rova_special.jpg
202KB, 600x600px
here's a pretty interesting recent release - Rova Saxophone Quartet with Henry Kaiser on guitar and Kyle Bruckmann on synthesizer paying tribute to a relatively obscure mid-70's Steve Lacy album with a sax quartet+guitar+synth instrumentation

if airy avant-garde in the Jimmy Giuffre-at-his-free'est vein with no bass or drums, but some synth for flavor sounds interesting, give it a listen

nothing on YouTube for this but here's an alternate take from the Lacy original - it's pretty similar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5uJ6cXiL5E
>>
>>74822617
Why
>>
>>74822688
Missing a bunch of pretty good modern fusion desu
>>
i couldn't write a decent review to save my life but i like reading them

jtg i know you lurk here still. you should review this one sometime
>>
File: comet_is_coming.jpg (41KB, 316x316px) Image search: [Google]
comet_is_coming.jpg
41KB, 316x316px
reminder that most interesting contemporary fusion comes from the UK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bih6JQzbFY0
>>
File: 220px-Destination_Out!.jpg (11KB, 220x219px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Destination_Out!.jpg
11KB, 220x219px
jackie mcclean - destination out. bobby hutcherson on vibes. good mixture, because of jackies emotive playing, but with grachan's experimental free approach to music structure..

ps i haven't been on mu in a while, i got into jazz after my mu phase. 70% of the posts are by plebs, all non plebs will agree
>>
Who's ready for a new Kamasi Washington album in September???
>>
>>74823057
The McLean-Moncur III-Hutcherson combination in addition to Lee Morgan is fantastic on the album seen here >>74822167
>>
>>74823144
I'm not. The Epic was the bane of jazz threads around /mu/ for like a year afterwards.
I really hope the fickle fotm crowd have stopped caring about him.
>>
>>74823164
Man, if you're mentioning performances on that record, you gotta mention Tony. There's a bit about a minute thirty into Air Raid where Tony lets the hi hat ring out for a few second but then snaps it shut simultaneously with a snare hit. Thought I was gonna have a heart attack first time I heard it, it's fucking intense.
>>
>>74823703
Tony's the freaking man on everything he does, his work in Miles' second great quintet is still a blueprint for more 'open' jazz drumming
>>
File: ashcan.png (291KB, 558x560px) Image search: [Google]
ashcan.png
291KB, 558x560px
Bump
>>
bump for ya nerds
>>
KAORU ABE GOAT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQgRqw_52Sk
>>
>>74823144
I feel like there's potential for Kamasi to make a really good album. I'm not convinced it'll happen this time around, but I'll be listening to it anyway in hope.
The Epic was over ambitious to put it lightly. I think he needs to get more picky with his composition choices and just pick a handful of tunes they put all their efforts into. Then do them with a tighter small group, dropping some of those weaker soloists (or just have them do bits of the arrangements/comping). The tracks should be shorter too, with less space for soloists so they don't run out of steam halfway through the solos.
Oh, and fuck the cheesy ass choir vocals and the syrupy strings out.
Then he might be able to make a consistent album.
>>
>>74826596
If he starts mixing his music like jazz instead of like hip hop that would help a lot too
>>
>>74826698
I don't mind the hip hop influence so much, I think he could do cool shit with the large idiom range he draws from. I think "fusion" as a genre should be borrowing from modern music and that's one of the cooler parts about Kamasi's music. It's maybe a bit naive and corny to romanticise it like this, but I see Flylo and Kamasi as having a sort of Miles and Hendrix type relationship and it could lead to some pretty cool music if Kamasi could, above all, calm his tits and just make a solid, focused album.
>>
File: bullish.jpg (700KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
bullish.jpg
700KB, 1000x1000px
its pretty ok
>>
File: withoutashadowofanet.jpg (26KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
withoutashadowofanet.jpg
26KB, 400x400px
bump
>>
>>74823144
Is he having actual jazz musicians play on it this time around? He's kind of a shit saxophonist but I feel like if the rest of the band was pretty good he could at least make an album that didn't suck.
>>
Who is your favorite contemporary player on these instruments?

>trumpet
>tenor sax
>alto sax
>piano
>guitar
>bass
>drums
>>
File: disdain for plebs.png (117KB, 480x336px) Image search: [Google]
disdain for plebs.png
117KB, 480x336px
>"prove you're not a pleb"
>jazz
>>
>>74830419
>hasn't grown out of his "my music is 100% notated so I can call it 'art music' and feel superior about listening to it" stage
>>
File: MI0001733607.jpg (57KB, 500x498px) Image search: [Google]
MI0001733607.jpg
57KB, 500x498px
Good shit. the musicians plays their things and make the nice sounds
>>
Fuck Jazz and the Fedora fags that listen to it.

I listen to Lil Yachty and Dubstep.
>>
Can anyone rec electronic jazz?
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.