[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What rock doesn't use guitar + drums?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: Beatles-Silhouette-by-NewbieMe.jpg (44KB, 593x398px) Image search: [Google]
Beatles-Silhouette-by-NewbieMe.jpg
44KB, 593x398px
What rock doesn't use guitar + drums?
>>
suicide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCRTCqgAkfg
>>
>>74820952
Not 'a 'rock'' band

>Genres
>Synthpunk[1][2] electronic[3] proto-punk[4] minimalist[3] art punk[5] avant-garde[6]
>>
File: rock-long-rock-large[1].gif (174KB, 600x390px) Image search: [Google]
rock-long-rock-large[1].gif
174KB, 600x390px
>>
>>74820968
>punk
>not rock
>>
>>74821006
They are more electronic music than punk. Electronic with punk stylings.

>Their debut album Suicide (1977) was described by Entertainment Weekly as "a landmark of electronic music,"[10]

>while AllMusic stated that it "provided the blueprints for post-punk, synth pop, and industrial"[11]

>Rolling Stone called them "an unmeasurable influence on the industrial dance, noise, techno, ambient, and electronic scenes of the 1980s and 1990s."
>>
Nico - The Marble Index
John Bender
>>
>>74820918
rock isn't real.
>>
>>74821021
1. Electronic music and rock are far from musically exclusive.
2. Out of those three genres you list, post-punk is undeniably a form of rock music, whilst synth pop and industrial music both incorporated rock elements.
3. Who they influenced does not determine what they themselves are. Just because James Brown was in influential in the development of hip hop does not mean that he himself is influential.

As to whether they are more electronic music than punk, I'd argue that they sought to push the punk aesthetic and paradigm into the future with electronic instrumentation. In that sense, Suicide are "punk through electronic media" rather than "electronic with punk stylings", by which I mean that the electronic media were a means to achieve punk's artistic ends.
>>
>>74821128
So ''electronic music'' is a defunct and meaningless term since Suicide used electronic instrumentation as the backbone of their music and they were punk yet every defintion everywhere for electronic music is ''use electronic instrumentation as the backbone of their music''.
>>
File: 615HkSr2NGL.jpg (77KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
615HkSr2NGL.jpg
77KB, 500x500px
>>74820918
not good but fits your description I think
>>
>>74821165
I didn't say Suicide weren't electronic music. I'm saying you are inserting a false dichotomy between rock and electronic music which simply doesn't exist.

As for whether "electronic music" is defunct and meaningless, I'd say that as an umbrella term covering styles as divergent as house, early post-rock, breakcore, glitch, musique concrete, turntablism, and ragga, it provides no useful specificity as to what genre exactly an artist belongs to. That's why calling Suicide "punk" is far more useful as a description than calling it "electronic".
>>
Kraftwerk
Suicide
Depeche Mode
>>
Keane
>>
>>74820988
underrated
>>
United States of America had basically everything besides a guitar, but they did use a bass guitar though if you're counting that.
>>
Van der Graaf Generator
>>
Royal Blood
>>
>>74820952
I heard Bruce Springsteen cover this song once
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.