[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does jazz fall under pop music or art music? Or is it sonething

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1503178934505.png (1MB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1503178934505.png
1MB, 1200x1200px
Does jazz fall under pop music or art music? Or is it sonething in between?
>>
>>74799170
Its art music that was pop music
>>
>>74799170
Depends on the context, style and where it is played.
>>
>>74799170
pop
>>74799187
>>74799198
not even close
>>
Are you you? Are you me? Or something in between?

You lost track inside the labyrinth

You lost your will and your sanity

You certainly lost your humanity
>>
>>74799211
John Adams incorporates jazz into his operas and yet he is still considered art music.
>>
>>74799170
the whole art/popular/folk music division is only useful for categorizing music studies and research - jazz doesn't really fit neatly in those wide categories for that purpose, I don't think.

You could argue that jazz has some elements of each - for a time it used to be popular music of the day with many elements that are common in pop, especially big band and large ensemble stuff has a lot in common with what is usually referred to as "art music" and it's in some ways like folk music in how soloing concepts and licks and even compositions often especially before the 50's used to spread from player to player directly with no written material or recordings and how much of it grew organically from the blues
>>
Seriously, who cares?
I don't understand how a term so nebulous as to include "all of recorded music except the classical and folk music that sometimes gets recorded for wider popular distribution (exceptions made for certain crossover acts the academia doesn't like or which received too much airplay)". There really aren't many meaningful and interesting discussions can you have about something like that.

I mean, jazz itself is already inconsistent as fuck as a term, but at least you can sort of make grand overarching generalisations about trends like the increase in complexity and unconventional musical ideas from the 40s through to the 60s. You can't make the same statement about pop music as a whole because there are about a thousand other little cultures that weren't paying any attention to what was going on in jazz at the time. Mod rockers weren't listening to Giant Steps any more than they were listening to Kontakte.
>>
>>74799231
John Adams is pleb shit.
>>
>>74799223
In life, you have taken much more than you are worth
Now it's your turn to give back to the Earth
May you return to the ground and ossify
It's time for you to die

Die

Die
>>
>>74799170
pop
>>
Elevator music.

Jazz is the abortive spectre of artistic expression.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.