[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: sgt-pepper_1.jpg (324KB, 1600x1549px) Image search: [Google]
sgt-pepper_1.jpg
324KB, 1600x1549px
Why do so many people think this is the greatest album of all time, or something? I suppose a concept album like this was groundbreaking at the time, and it's definitely got some good songs, but I feel like the hype for this album is ridiculous.

At least when somebody says something like, "MBDTF was the greatest rap/pop album of all time", I might disagree with it, but I can see why they said it—it's lavish, features are on point, every song is solid, Nicki's verse, Kanye's sampling, and Gil Scott-Heron's "Comment #1" sample, among a myriad of other factors. Putting Aphex pianos on the same album as King Crimson, showcasing both vulnerability and the most ridiculous, cartoonish ego in all of pop at that time, and so on. I can see why someone might look at these elements together and say, "Wow, this is the best album around!" (again, I'd disagree, but still, I can understand why they think that).

For rock albums, there's the big Pink Floyd ones, DSOTM and The Wall, for example. I'd say they're more psychedelic (DSOTM, anyway), more interesting, more experimental than Sgt. Peppers. But so many rock fans are convinced that Sgt. Peppers is the best album of all time. Can someone explain that for me? Sure, timing is important, but timing alone doesn't make the greatest album of all time. So why do people like it to this absurd degree?
>>
Agreed. I personally think Revolver already accomplished what Sgt. Pepper gets credited for, and I think it marked a larger step forward for the band. I think the Sgt. Pepper worship is the result of:

1. Backlash over that Jesus thing overshadowed Revolver's release in the U.S.
2. Hype built up over the Beatles disappearing into the studio for months
3. It basically made the "Summer Of Love" (a meme in and of itself) accessible and commercial
>>
Sgt. Pepper's is a great Beatles album as a whole, but the main thing about it is that it came at the perfect moment. There's no other way putting it. Revolver, while the better album overall (especially for how cohesive it manages to be while going off in every direction at once), was plagued by bad timing, and it only really took off recently.

Combine that with the Summer of Love, how the entire point of The Beatles is a bridge between pop sensibilities and experimentalism, and that it's the first full departure of their early sound, and it's seen as a landmark for ages. It's only now that the trend is reversing and people are seeing Revolver as the better album.
>>
>>74771785
Agreed.
>>
>>74771713
>>74771785
But there's a lot of people, especially young people today, who say Sgt. Peppers is the best album without knowing/experiencing that context of its release timing. And yet they think it's the best. Is that just parroting old people, then?
>>
there are more people who complain and whine about this being the greatest album of all time than there are people who actually think it is
>>
>>74772754
Sure, but is there any other album like that?
I think that alone makes this album special/an anomaly. It's much easier for other albums to be dismissed out of hand when people say they are #1.
>>
Because it's a really good album.
>>
>>74772909
But so are many others.
>>
I personally prefer Magical Mystery Tour, Revolver and the White Album over Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

I can't explain the general preference for Sgt Pepper's to be quite honest.
>>
Personally, i believe this album's main strength is it's ability to transcend what pop really was at the time, and it is an album that is well put together, with all the songs fitting together well.
>>
Do we have to have this thread every fucking day? Just fucking google it and you'll get a billion responses as to why it's so widely revered.

It's basically this >>74773455 It almost singlehandedly established album oriented rock/pop as the dominant form of music consumption, which has remained more or less the same to this day. Yes clearly there were other acts doing this, I'm not trying to discredit Dylan, Zappa, The Beach Boys or even the previous Beatles efforts, but Pepper is what put this on the map in a clear way for the wide majority of people. Compared to the concept albums of today or even a few years after it seems quaint but you can find plenty first hand accounts from the time on how monumental it felt. Even something as simple as having all the lyrics printed on the back of the record was huge. People had never seen a pop act so committed to presenting a well thought out piece of art (again, that stays true even if it doesn't seem so fully realized by later standards).

Imagine if Taylor Swift was 5 times as popular as she was, and still released an album that legitimately pushed the boundaries of the form. It was unheard of, and it's still basically unheard of now. It's not my favorite Beatles album either but it by far had the largest cultural impact out of any of their albums, which is why it's so highly regarded.
>>
>>74771596
First off Zappa had already done the concept album thing previous to Pepper.
But when you're looking at things from a reverse perspective you can't really get the idea of how things were before something comes along and changes everything. Pepper brought about a linear shift in the way everyone else did everything.
No one today really gives any credit to Clapton and Cream , because they can't really imagine how things were before.
>>
>>74774461
>Pepper brought about a linear shift in the way everyone else did everything.
How, though? What am I supposed to hear in it that I hear in all (/many/most) the albums that followed it, but never in the albums before it? Or is it purely a workflow shift?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.