[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does /mu/ hate this band?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 2

File: U2 in 1987.jpg (62KB, 710x450px) Image search: [Google]
U2 in 1987.jpg
62KB, 710x450px
Why does /mu/ hate this band?
>>
I don't hate them, I love a lot of their music.
>>
>>74755660
I think they're p. great desu
>>
>>74755660
Overexposure and Bono
>>
>implying /mu/ knows any of their songs anyway except that one they heard on South Park
>>
>>74755660
u2 is a great band that filters the pseuds from the actual music lovers. i know that if someone can't appreciate u2 and what they've done for the industry, their opinion should be disregarded or carefully taken into consideration
>>
American government propaganda
>>
>>74755660

It has been a very good band until the early/mid 90s
>>
>>74755805
this

"Kite" alone is better than most /mu/core
>>
YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH
>>
>>74755805
Lol, it's a shitty pop rock band from the '80s. One of thousands. Neck yourself.
>>
>>74755660
Because they're shallow mom-rock. Joshua Tree is a pretty good album though
>>
>>74758169
Joshua Tree was the album where they turned into shallow momrock.
>>
Bono is annoying.
>>
>>74755805
Pretty much. Also they were massively influential on a ton of /mu/core stuff (best exemplified in fucking shoegaze). U2 is... a weird band, honestly. It's popular with people who barely like music and those that really do like music.

That said, given their work after Pop, I wouldn't really blame peeps for not liking U2, especially when that's all you heard.
>>
>>74758304
>It's popular with people who barely like music and those that really do like music
As were the Beatles.
>>
>>74758304
U2 influenced shoegaze.

Wow.

I've heard some pretty fucking stupid shit on /mu/ over the last 5 years, but I have to congratulate you. This is absolutely the stupidest thing I have ever seen or will ever see on here. Thank you anon.
>>
The Edge was pretty innovative as a guitarist, the idea of using a guitar for textures/effects was new back then instead of the same tired, boring Zeppelin/AC/DC blues rock.
>>
>>74758453
Kind of, although I'm sure some underground 80s band somewhere thought up the same idea.
>>
>>74758388
Perhaos not directly, but the use of guitar as texture only really took off in the mainstream with U2.
>>74758508
Without the market penetration of U2, which is pretty impactful.
>>
>>74758627
>>74758453
And not soloing. It was normal for punk rock to not include guitar solos, but the idea of a mainstream band skipping them was pretty different.
>>
Rem is better
>>
>>74758453
Later on, this became a standard part of industrial/nu metal bands like Korn, although the less talented groups like Disturbed just played generic boring chords without any interesting sfx.
>>
>>74758453
I thought Eddie Van Halen was the first guy to move away from that Clapton/Hendrix style of playing although he still did the conventional pentatonic riffs.
>>
>>74758388
>being this uninformed
congrats you fucking pleb
>>
>>74758742
He started it, but in a completely different direction - shred guitar is basically a crappy version of his style. The Edge's stuff is a lot less innovative in how is it being played, though the main one is what is being played. Less riffing, more texture.
>>
>>74758742
Van Halen's solos were different from the norm in the 70s but they still had pretty conventional solo-after-the-third-verse song structures and as you said, pentatonic riffs. Eddie didn't invent tapping, but he brought it to the mainstream. They were innovative, but in a modest way that didn't deviate too far from rock convention.

80s alternative bands like U2 however, they took the completely new approach of using a guitar for textures and not playing solos at all. It was the complete rejection of everything that had been standard rock arrangement and playing since Chuck Berry.
>>
Back when Van Halen first came out, they didn't impress too many rock critics who just thought they were a continuation of the stale Zeppelin brand of arena rock they were hoping that New Wave was going to abolish.

It probably didn't help that down the road, the bands that Van Halen influenced were pretty fucking terrible.
>>
>>74758711
>although the less talented groups like Disturbed just played generic boring chords without any interesting sfx
Yeh all those bands did was tune their guitars down to G and play distorted chords with no solos. Completely uninteresting musically.
>>
>>74758831
Critics are generally always looking for the new, cutting-edge thing. AC/DC were hardly cutting-edge back then, even if rednecks with mullets ate them up like Valiums.
>>
>>74758976
My cousin saw Zappa in Detroit in the early 80s. He said that the audience were your typical Camaro-driving mullet rock fans and they ate up Frank's boring blues wankery guitar solos like tasty bread. When he stopped and wanted to perform an orchestral piece, they started booing so he then shrugged and went back to his guitar noodling. Eventually someone threw something on stage and he stormed off in a huff. Show over.
>>
>>74758453
This.

He used echo/delay pedals to find his sound. Manuel Gottsching, A.R and the machines or Gunter Schickert did stuff earlier but y'know more Krautrockish
>>
U2 were a great band up until Pop (1997)
>>
>>74759018
I think Judas Priest used delay pedals on a track or two, but just as a gimmick and not part of their regular sound.
>>
>>74759018
And only real music nerds knew about those guys anyway.
>>
>>74755660
the 70s were just really cool so everyone h80s on the 80s
>>
>>74758742
Stevie Ray Vaughn was the last guy to really innovate anything with blues guitar. Nobody has found any new direction to take it in since then.
>>
If you'd been around when Live Aid happened, you'd appreciate how cutting edge U2 and Madonna were back in the day, it's too bad they eventually became self-parodies.
>>
The Velvet Underground might've plowed the fields for alt-rock to grow, but U2 sowed the seeds. It's a shame /mu/ is too pleb to respect the greats. U2 still sound fresh despite the 80s being one of the most dated-sounding decades for music. They laid the foundation for the 90s alt-rock sound--Radiohead wouldn't exist without U2
>>
>>74759188
>U2 still sound fresh despite the 80s being one of the most dated-sounding decades for music

Alternative bands in general aged better than the mainstream stuff from the 80s which has all the horrible, dated studio effects like big drums and squeal guitar. You could listen to Sonic Youth and not be able to pick out the decade while you listen to Motley Crue and you know instantly.
>>
>>74759284
They were a bunch of rich, fat 40 year olds who got lazy and didn't care anymore.
>>
>>74759284
I honestly think 'Oh Mercy' (which Daniel Lanois produced) is one of Dylan's best albums.
>>
>>74755660
The Rolling Stones should have broken up after Some Girls. u2 should have broken up after Zooropa. REM should have broken up after New Adventures in Hi Fi.
>>
this pic is from 81-82 not 87
also pls do not associate U2 with Madonna
>>
Down In The Groove was a good roots rock album, Dylan got back to basics there. Too bad all the critics shit on it and said it was paint-by-numbers Dylan.

I mean, Christgau gave As and Bs to Empire Burlesque and Knocked Out Loaded, which were absolute pieces of crap and some of his worst albums, but thought DITG was shit? Really now?
>>
File: 56656777.jpg (66KB, 742x418px) Image search: [Google]
56656777.jpg
66KB, 742x418px
>>74759355
This is late 80s, I think. Man, Bono's hairline started receding early. He was like 28 or so here?
>>
>>74759391
He still had cool hair in the Fly / Mephisto years.
>>
>>74759372
60s baby boomer 'legends' produced a lot of shit in the 80s. I think the big exceptions are Paul Simon and Peter Gabriel (if he counts).
>>
>>74759391
this from 87, The Jushua Tree album
>>
>>74759391
And Adam Clayton looks like he's in his late 40s.
>>
>>74755660
favourite band when I was 12
>>
>>74755660
If you completely seperate the art from the artist (which you should). I think u2 made four great records: The Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, and Zooropa.
>>
>>74759425
A lot of the songs they did in the 80s sounded ok live without the awful studio effects. But the 80s studio aesthetic was just the worst thing for folk/blues sounds.
>>
>>74755713
mostly Bono
>>
their albums are all good up till Zooropa, peaking with Joshua Tree
they start going shit with that batman soundtrack song

people here that label the as generic 80s pop rock is completely clueless.
they are the most successfull band of all times
>>
>>74759471
For example, Eliminator is the ZZ Top album that casuals are most likely to know, but back when it came out it was polarizing to their fans because of their MTV move+80s studio effects. But if you've heard live versions of those songs, they fit perfectly with the band's earlier stuff.
>>
>>74759523
That batman song is one of the best songs they ever did.
>>
>>74755660
Their reputation would be really good if they stopped making shot after Achtung Baby, calmed down on he preaching, and just did reunion tours every few years where they play their dope shit from the 80s and make a ton of dosh doing it from all the grown up 80s kids

Instead they kept releasing mediocre stuff for the next 20+ years while their shows probably just contained mostly 80s stuff anyway
>>
I want these boys to bind me up to a Joshua tree and tag team me, filling me up with their cummies on Sunday Bloody Sunday, abusing me for not helping enough aids-ridden African orphans, pouring pints of Guinness on my little whoor ass and dumping me on the side of the road where the streets have no name
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.