[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

For classical music haters, an experiment

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: 1502465492732.jpg (53KB, 657x359px) Image search: [Google]
1502465492732.jpg
53KB, 657x359px
For those of you who dislike or who are uninterested in classical music, do you believe your opinion would change if you had a greater understanding in the principles behind the compositions?

As an experiment for you, I am giving you a link to Bach's Inventions and a basic explanation of each composition. Try listening to it before and after reading and see if it makes a difference.

Personally I think knowing some theory is helpful but not necessary. I think the psychology of music is such that we appreciate what we are capable of making sense of. Knowing how to organize it in your head is something that can happen intuitively and it can happen by understanding music theory. Either way, appreciation of classical requires one or the other to reach a level of understanding in which the music makes sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec_3U1va_HQ
http://musicofyesterday.com/historical-music-theory/how-to-study-the-two-voiced-inventions-of-bach/
>>
Bach is gud
>>
File: 1501698708422.jpg (65KB, 546x678px) Image search: [Google]
1501698708422.jpg
65KB, 546x678px
Bach isn't even very complex
>>
>>74749160
he never said it was?
>>
>>74747574
classical takes too much effort to listen to when I can just listen to something else
>>
>>74749160
Thats why its in the OP. Did you not read the post?

>>74749214
I think its more rewarding for the effort tho
>>
>>74749214
Except when u have a grasp on music theory and hear interesting counterpoint and harmony it's unlike any other music on earth
>>
>>74747574
I don't get enjoyment from listening to most classical. It's just too slow and uninteresting, and often times feels unemotional.

Not to mention, being steeped so heavily in it's own themes, a lot of the songs feel very same-y even though I know that compositionally speaking they are all very intricate.

I can really only dig Phillip Glass type classical.
>>
File: IMG_0651.jpg (39KB, 396x382px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0651.jpg
39KB, 396x382px
>>74749214
/r/music brainlets please get off my /mu/
>>
>>74750853
Glass is okay but he's so repetitive.
>>
>>74750929
I mean I guess? A lot of musicians get that way though. A lot of classical feels that way to me.

It feels a bit too much like "look at how I did this advanced musical thing that only musical people understand" and it's like, yeah okay, but that makes you all sound the same because all your shit has the same kind of intricacy and shit.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.