[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Throbbing Gristle > NIN

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 10

File: IMG_4526.jpg (28KB, 250x318px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4526.jpg
28KB, 250x318px
Throbbing Gristle > NIN
>>
>>74746496
On a good day most definitely.
>>
>>74746496
throbbing gristle is better in concept
nine inch nails is better in execution
>>
>>74746496
Throbbing Gristle's samples are top tier and they're great at creating a mood but NIN made this post industrial thing commercially successful and that's quite an achievement.
>>
>>74746560
>nine inch nails is better in execution
Could be. They had the madman himself - Adrian Belew. Zappa, Bowie, Talking Heads, King Crimson, Nine Inch Nails... Is there a band he can't make better?
>>
For someone who's listened to Einstürzende Neubauten, SPK, Throbbing Gristle, Cabaret Voltaire and Foetus but not Nine Inch Nails - what type of industrial am I in for?
>>
File: 53612.jpg (73KB, 940x535px) Image search: [Google]
53612.jpg
73KB, 940x535px
>>74746740
depends on the album. TDS is deffintelty the most " industrial" inspired album with the machine sounds and samples and atmosphere as well as distorted and raw vocals. Pretty hate machine is more on the old school EBM side. The fragile and onward are pretty much on the ambient and dark ambient side of industrial ( like later coil). Trent isn't an angry white ghetto fag from England screaming over banging tin cans but he does compose masterful inspired post industrial sounds. As a huge industrial fan i'd say NIN is definitely worth it's praise as a good post industrial band. TDS is still one of my all time favorite albums and the fragile is amazing.
>>
>>74746740
early NIN sounds superficially like mid-period ministry but is actually closer to purple rain-era prince in spirit. late NIN has a unique sound. at no point is it close to classical industrial music, it only really gets labelled as such because pretty hate machine was released by tvt records
>>
>>74746885
Thank you. Are members of his band as fascinating characters as all of the members of Throbbing Gristle? Adrian Belew surely is for one. And would you recommend any other newer industrial bands? I'm aware that the genre has devolved to depressing lows.
>>
>>74746885
cevin key once said trent was the bruce springsteen of industrial music, which i think he meant in jest but is actually a pretty apt description
>>
>>74746940
Interesting. I've heard that Thirlwell from Foetus rejected the industrial label too and his style is still puzzling to me. Perhaps >>74746991 provides more context.
>>
File: tg.jpg (89KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
tg.jpg
89KB, 1280x720px
>>74746946
hah trent himself is a character. As much as I discover new industrial bands and listen to it most of the time, it's usually from pre 200 times. Anything new is mostly EBM inspired. I can give you some good modern bands that are inspired.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3hArnk2ivQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4XDqd5JliI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBL8DEnERo0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67QKCtYophc
>>
>>74746946
nah, his live band is pretty much just guys punching a clock.

if you like TG-style industrial i'd recommend checking out pharmakon. as for self-described industrial music that's newer, check out rose red flechette or electronic substance abuse
>>
to me nin sounds closer to dance music as most songs ive heard have a catchy beat and more traditional song structures. dont really understand the industrial label for them. ive always considered industrial to be much more experimental and noisy like nurse with wound, throbbing gristle, coil
>>
>>74747083
>Rose Red Flechette and Electronic Substance Abuse

Holy shit! Great taste!

I would also recommend wk[es] and Pneumatic Detach. Also Prometheus Burning although I guess they're not together anymore.

wk[es]
Chronos EP 1
https://youtu.be/3t-OqWoNRfg
>>
>>74747279
noice. thanks for the recc's

i suspect (hope, at least) that industrial is due for a major revival. it's down to individuals noodling around on laptops in their bedrooms with no attention being paid outside the scene which i think is a recipe for a major sound evolution
>>
File: oh, no!.jpg (41KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
oh, no!.jpg
41KB, 480x480px
the early NIN remixes are GOAT desu
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw-N5kdo72Q
>>
Throbbing Nine Inch > Gristle Nails
>>
Pretentious Industrial Dickhead
>>
>>74746496
nurse with wound, coil and early current 93 are all superior to throbbing gristle
>>
>>74746740
PHM is like a pop version of Skinny Puppy, or like an industrial Depeche Mode. Really dark synths and good vocals as fuck.

Broken is inspired by Godflesh and metal Ministry but is honestly close to alternative metal. Also good as fuck.

TDS is one of the greatest albums of the 90s. Famously dark, fantastic lyrics, layered compositions, noisy and avant-grade as mainstream rock could get. Definitely industrial.

Fragile is like a 2 disc bloated clusterfuck of post-metal shit and ambient and weird percussive industrial experiments. Sort of like an alternative ape of Naples.

After that they get kind of gay. With Teeth is good, Year Zero has fans, but honestly nothing after fragile is industrial at all.

If you want more industrial listen to the albums Fixed and Further Down the Spiral.
>>
>>74746946
The only band member is Trent.
>>
>>74750384

I love KMFDM cowbells in Megalomaniac, I think it requires more cowbells.

Ministry might be the father of industrial but there you go, if we gonna talk about taste why not choosing colors?

You guys don't get it and are always fighting over what's better instead of embracing each style which is unique in its own. You cannot compare bands or albums, there's no such a thing as a better musician but a better arrangement, a well written song and produced sound, there are bad written songs and poorly mastered albums. ¨

There are well written books and bad written and that's about it, I don't think you can say one band is better than the other, because in the end it's pure taste and they gamble.

Taste gamble, look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CZNuTeq9hs

You think you can beat the sliding and the grass? Well I changed the genre but if you want to talk about taste in industrial then I go blind for sister salvation.
>>
>>74750509
>Ministry might be the father of industrial
holy fucking shit what?
>>
File: 1501695820416.png (308KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1501695820416.png
308KB, 640x480px
>>
File: djtykds.png (175KB, 310x344px) Image search: [Google]
djtykds.png
175KB, 310x344px
>>74750509
>but if you want to talk about taste in industrial then I go blind for sister salvation.
Holy fucking shit I hate /mu/ talks about my favorite genre. You guys are the worst
>>
>>74746885
>that picture
Why is Genesis the most JUST person in existence?
>>
>>74750676
>>74750742
>>74750893
Probably "industrial rock" but I'm going to go out on a limb and say Big Black Songs About Fucking may have had them beat by a few months.
>>
File: 0_a03a0_2950ee4a_orig.png (236KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
0_a03a0_2950ee4a_orig.png
236KB, 500x374px
>>74750962
industrial is a fucking amazing genre made by the most JUST people
>>
>>74746496
duh
>>
http://imdb.com/rg/an_share/title/title/tt3606298/
Does anyone have a download link for this documentary? I've been searching for so long.
>>
File: BLOATLORD.gif (2MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
BLOATLORD.gif
2MB, 320x180px
>>74746496
>mfw Trent has hopped on the bloatmaxxing train
Based Trent ahead of the curve once again!

Also, comparing NIN to Throbbing Gristle is silly Tbh
>>
>>74752074
>Also, comparing NIN to Throbbing Gristle is silly Tbh
Anything to get what's left of this board talk about something that's not shitposting is a good thing.
>>
>>74752127
Yes, but they're really not comparable at all, a better point of comparison for someone like Trent Reznor is actually someone like Brian Eno, he never was a "genre" artist like Throbbing Gristle.
>>
>>74746496
Marilyn Manson > NIN
>>
>>74746496
Coil > NIN
>>
>>74752310
true
>>
Skinny Puppy>NIN
>>
>>74746740
First of all, NIN aren't even remotely industrial so you can throw that idea out the window and then start over and never put its name alongside actual industrial legends
>>
>>74752542
Apparently this comparison is apt. >>74752186
>>
>>74752238
oh fuck off
>>
>>74752540
skinny puppy is literally the worst industrial group and ogre is the worst person in the scene
>>
File: 1492189658840.jpg (4KB, 154x127px) Image search: [Google]
1492189658840.jpg
4KB, 154x127px
>>74746496
>Throbbing Gristle
>music
>>
File: 1501012532224.gif (126KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
1501012532224.gif
126KB, 720x480px
>>74753355
I was being ironic
>>
>>74746496
Anyone who says TG is good is just trying to be a hipster faggot. They had a few good ideas, but 99 percent of what they produced was TrashNoise. "Something Came Over Me" was one of their best and that song is nothing special. The only reason people know about them is because they coined the term "industrial"
>oh man, i love some mentally ill tranny sperg out over a digital drum loop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8klW9trVTQ
>>
>>74754233
Even better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRcgQ_e3w4g
>>
Wow that's like saying Nirvana>Creed.
>>
>>74747111
Trips don't lie
>>
What does /mu/ think of Cabaret Voltaire?
>>
>>74754659
I like them. Favorite is Drinking Gasoline.
>>
>>74753355
Fuck you. I've seen them live three times. Always have amazing openers, put on an incredible show. And they have good albums Bites being my favorite.

Wrong on all counts. Report to Music 101 for remedial training.
>>
I've never cared about how NIN compared to Skinny whoever or throbbing chicken. Fell in love with just the personality and journey prepared by Trent. Does anyone here care about listening experience, or is it all about just knowing as much worthless information as possible in order to tell other people they are wrong?
>>
>>74753680
>Throbbing Gristle
>music
Wreckers of civilization and demonic too, right?
>>
>>74754233
>>74754256
This isn't a YouTube comment section.
>>
>>74754233
>>74754256
If you honestly believe you and they're being that extreme, the idea of listening to Schoenberg or Webern would probably end you.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.